Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 PM

Arch-Druid

When I say "most players" I'm including everyone who plays the game, casual or hardcore, I'm not sure if you're doing the same.

I'm sure when Tauren Paladins are available we'll see a dip in the BE population, but DKs are available for every race, and warcraftcensus has 16% of BE playing them(30% are paladins), a good 60k more than the next most popular DK choice (orc).

If players want to roll a character because they find the race attractive, it's not any less valid a reason than choosing a race because they think it's quirky and fun to be two feet tall.

So once again, bringing Blood Elves into the discussion doesn't say anything about Gnomes. One thing you may not realize about the WoW customer base is that the vocal ones are the minority. You cannot show me any reliable poll about whether or not "most alliance players" like gnomes or not. All you've shown me is that the people who like to speak up in group/general/trade about everything in the world they have a gripe with don't commonly have Gnomes on their agenda, in your experience. I certainly didn't talk about how disappointed I was with certain aspects of the game in Trade Chat. I avoided that cesspool of spam whenever possible.

My comment about the plausibility of your experience was a response to your disregard of anecdote based opinions, when that's the only thing you yourself have provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

If they hadn't made blood elf males so effeminate, the only horde players left would be those who wanted to play druids, shamans, or warriors.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

The Nerubians and the Qiraji conquered two sets of Tol'vir independantly of each other right? Was there something about the Tol'vir or the Titan research facilities that attracted the Aquir after their war with the trolls?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:42 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
And the podcast...
Eh. It's always on the table, but I'm currently organizing two, completely non wow-related podcasts and, to be honest, I never quite had the best experience doing it. Maybe if I can set my own schedule I'd return to it, but for now, it's low on my priorities.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I, personally, can't wait for the Alliance graphic novel, because assuming Brink (that Gnome Rogue from the comic Special) shows up, we might actually get a major gnome character that isn't comic relief.
I guess Chromie doesn't really count, so perhaps you're right.

I did have a question. I'm not sure if it really belongs in the Simple Q&A, but being new to these forums, I figured this may have been talked about before and I'm just having trouble finding it by search.

What is (or should I say, was) the relationship between The Lich King and Yogg-Saron? wow.com posted a nice article about this some time ago here. I'm very curious if there's more information / a thread out there related to this issue.

My theory, based on the evidence provided in that article, is that The Scourge simply use Yogg-Saron for his saronite blood as a means to channel dark powers. The Scourge wants to devour souls, imprisoning the dead forever. However, Yogg-Saron wants to simply cause death and destruction. Therefore, they sort of condemn each other's agendas. The quotes from Herald Volazj best support this. "Where one falls, many shall take its place." Volazj is the perfect representation of Yogg-Saron's interests, since the faceless are said to be being created from the blood and flesh of Yogg-Saron.

Always look at the BRIGHT... side of life!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
The Nerubians and the Qiraji conquered two sets of Tol'vir independantly of each other right? Was there something about the Tol'vir or the Titan research facilities that attracted the Aquir after their war with the trolls?
Maybe. I thought that they just ran for the hills and ended up in those locations since they weren't exactly the winners of the war, and didn't have much of a choice of where to migrate.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

And maybe the insect races were for some reason better able to hear the dark whispers coming from Northrend and Silithus respectively. Maybe it wasn't a conscious decision on their part to travel to those particular locations. However, C'thun and Yoggy may have been playing their subtle games and saw the insects as the perfect tools. Of course, that's assuming that the Old Gods hadn't gotten to them already before the trolls' great war with the Aqir.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:33 AM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
And maybe the insect races were for some reason better able to hear the dark whispers coming from Northrend and Silithus respectively. Maybe it wasn't a conscious decision on their part to travel to those particular locations. However, C'thun and Yoggy may have been playing their subtle games and saw the insects as the perfect tools. Of course, that's assuming that the Old Gods hadn't gotten to them already before the trolls' great war with the Aqir.
Interesting thought, brings up the question of whether C'thun had total control of the Aqir after he developed them or not.

I can see quite a few of them being rather horrified upon learning that what they likely saw as a grand crusade for their people was in fact masterminded by some tentacled horror and being routed by the "loyal" ones...

I'm also wondering why the Nerubians weren't loyal to Yoggy...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Arch-Druid

http://www.wowwiki.com/Nefarian

from thid page it is said that

Quote:
Wrath of the Lich King

It is also implied that the adventurers defeated Nefarian, as Varok Saurfang mentions that he put the head of Nefarian on a pike.
I wonder where did Varok mention these words. If it is true, then we can ensure that the Horde is response for the death of Nefarian.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:14 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curll View Post
I wonder where did Varok mention these words. If it is true, then we can ensure that the Horde is response for the death of Nefarian.
This would make sense. Since the Dark Horde was being manipulated behind the scenes by Nefarian. Thrall's Horde had taken care of internal problems like Grom and Kargath, so I would think they took the fight to Rend's Horde too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I think the Alliance cleaned up BRD and MC, and the Horde BRS and BWL.

Makes sense considering the relationship between the different forces. Also, Alliance clears all their relationship with the orcs with Windsor being captured by the dwarves.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-09-2010, 06:06 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curll View Post
http://www.wowwiki.com/Nefarian

"Did you think that I would forget the name of a hero of Orgrimmar? It is not every day that I have the pleasure of putting the head of Nefarian on a pike!"

From http://www.wowhead.com/quest=11595 he gives different quest text depending on if you have handed in Nefarian's head, or are the Scarab lord.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 AM

The Knight-Lord

Ok, what am I missing here? So, to put it as basic as possible, you have a group of Night Elven Druids who decide to follow Goldrinn and thus the Worgen form is born. Over time, these Druids grow mad due to the violent nature of the form, so, seeing these new Worgen as a threat, the other Druid groups put them to sleep under a tree.

-Boom! Kalimdor is broken in apart thanks to the explosion of the Well of Eternity-

The tree that was once located on greater Kalimdor that the Worgen druids were put to sleep under is now apart of the landmass known as the Eastern Kingdoms.

-Skip to recent history-

... Well, the rest is quite well known. So, apart from asking you all to set my story straight, if indeed it is wrong, I would like to know how it is that the humans become Worgen? To put it another way, how does nothing more than another druid form, become a curse that can spread to other races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I hope you get raped harder than an African woman during ethnic cleansing
- Noitora, "A Couple of Illidan Spoilers" Thread (Pg. 17; Post #339)
Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 AM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ok, what am I missing here? So, to put it as basic as possible, you have a group of Night Elven Druids who decide to follow Goldrinn and thus the Worgen form is born. Over time, these Druids grow mad due to the violent nature of the form, so, seeing these new Worgen as a threat, the other Druid groups put them to sleep under a tree.

-Boom! Kalimdor is broken in apart thanks to the explosion of the Well of Eternity-

The tree that was once located on greater Kalimdor that the Worgen druids were put to sleep under is now apart of the landmass known as the Eastern Kingdoms.

-Skip to recent history-

... Well, the rest is quite well known. So, apart from asking you all to set my story straight, if indeed it is wrong, I would like to know how it is that the humans become Worgen? To put it another way, how does nothing more than another druid form, become a curse that can spread to other races?
There weren't druids prior to kalimdor splitting.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Eternal

FINE.

I shall do this again.

Following the WOTA, Sundering, Exile of the Tortheldrin Highborne, Emigration of the Sunstrider Highborne, and proliferation of Malfurion's New World Order, Druidism was in full swing among the immortal Kaldorei.

Of the several druidic orders taking rise at the time, Druids of the Pack had chosen the Great Wolf Spirit called Goldrinn to be their form. This meant they could assume a Wolf Form. However, Goldrinn had defended the world during the WOTA and perished in battle against the demons of the Burning Legion. While we can be sure he did not die in an absolute sense, his physical form was defeated and it is suggested that his astral form was corrupted in small way due to the demons' machinations. In any case, Malfurion understood that Druids assuming the Wolf Shape was a dangerous practice, and would describe the change and form as "unstable".

The Druids of the Pack would not be swayed, and continued their waysin the presence of a magnificent fang, taken from Goldrinn at the WOTA. Over time, the instability inherent in the form proved to imbalance the Druids while in Wolf Form. They became entirely feral, losing all sense of their former lives as Night Elves. They remained as vicious wolves until they were visited by a single Druid who bested the entire sect of Pack Druids in combat. The Druid, Relaar Fangfire, was able to compel them to resume their Night Elf forms, and upon doing so, promised that he would teach the wayward Druids of the Pack the "true path of Goldrinn".

Here we have a gap in the story, but we can safely assume that Relaar's "true path" resulted in establishing a shapeshift inbetween the unstable Wolf and lucid Humanoid, what we've come to call Worgen Form.

For defying Malfurion's law and possibly creating some ancient ruckus involving urinating on the World Tree, the Druids of the Pack were rounded up, and "buried under a tree". The location of the tree is a subject of much debate, but what can be safely assumed is that the magnificent fang of Goldrinn was fashioned into what would be called the Scythe of Elune.

Fastforward a couple millenia to the fallout of the third war, aka the events following Warcraft 3, and the efforts of two mortals come into center stage. The first, the Archmage Arugal, was a native of Gilneas who had left his countrymen prior to the construction of the Greymane Wall but remained a patriot. On studying the writings of the Dalaran sorceror Ur, Arugal sought to defend his homeland by filling Silverpine Forest with an army of Worgen. How Ur learned of the Worgen is a topic of debate as well, but for the sake of this retelling, I will be assuming that his magical explorations included trance-induced astral projection to the Emerald Dream, where he witnessed Worgens of the Pack battling the Emerald Nightmare. Regradless, Arugal had his goal, his power, and in time, achieved success. Using black magics with his mastery of the arcane, Arugal summoned Worgen from their home and bound them to his will.

The second individual involved with current Worgen was a Night Elf Priestess named Velinde Starsong, who prayed for assistance from Elune to cleanse Felwood of the demonic corruption wrought by the Burning Legion's assault on the World Tree. Velinde somehow came into the possession of the Scythe of Elune, and was able to use it to also summon Worgen. Unbeknownst to her, she did so simultaneously with Arugals' efforts in Silverpine. In time, the Worgen summoned by the Scythe proved overly feral and uncontrollable, so she sequestered the remaining Worgen in a hidden valley of Ashenvale and sought out a reason for their behavior. Due to the new lines of communication between Alliance nations and the Night Elves, Velinde learned of Arugal's successes with Worgen control and sought him out, taking a very long and confusing route through the Barrens and Stranglethorn Vale in order to reach the Human lands.

Upon reaching Duskwood, the Scythe's power to summon Worgen snapped active, and would not be turned off. Velinde disappeared in Roland's Doom, and the Scythe of Elune lost to her. After falling into the hands of a Human called Jitters, the Scythe is guessed to have been stolen by the Dark Riders of Karazhan.Duskwood is a land drowning in mystery, and it remains to be seen what of Duskwood was the reason for the Scythe's strange wild activity. It could be due to the undead in the area, and the Worgen on the other side of the Scythe responding to Arugal's compulsion to slaughter all undead. It could be due to the Twilight Grove in the center of Duskwood amplifying the Scythe's "doorway" to the Emerald Dream. It could be due to the dark effect of Karazhan's haunted magics that flood the entire of Duskwood.

Arugal's control of his Worgen also waned, and he used all his power to pull the majority of his forces to Silverlaine Keep, which he renamed Shadowfang Keep. While there, Arugal went mad. He may have used his magical power to alter the Worgen Form in significant ways, fashioning the Worgen Form's strengths into a Curse that could be tied to a Human's intellect. His experiments may have resulted in the people of Pyrewood Village, who are Worgen only at night. Another attempt at such a plan may have breached the Greymane Wall, and begun infecting the peaceful people of Gilneas with Worgen Form.

And here is another gap, wherein we spend time in Outland and Northrend. In Karazhan, we find books which grant the Worgen Form for short bursts, and in Grizzly Hills, we discover that the San'layn Princes succeeded in resurrecting Arugal's shade in order to resume his process of transforming the Worgen Form into a dispensable Curse. Using a cult of Human Hunters, the San'layn orchestrated the creation of a new breed of Worgen that had control of their Worgen Form. The Wolfcult of Grizzly Hills were also given possession of the Scythe of Elune, possibly sent from Karazhan from one Blood Prince to the others. Human intellect empowered by the Scythe of Elune was probably just enough to grant complete control of the unstable Worgen Curse. These new Worgen were defeated and the the resurrected Shade of Arugal destroyed by adventurers.

It must be assumed the Scythe of Elune was stolen again by the Forsaken members of the Horde, due to the Scythe being in the possession of the Dark Rangers in Gilneas.

So, any questions? My fingers need a break, but I'm sure I can help after I eat lunch.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
After falling into the hands of a Human called Jitters
His name is so lol
Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I have a question:

Why don't you just cut and paste all that into WowWiki and share a hyperlink next time?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I have a question:

Why don't you just cut and paste all that into WowWiki and share a hyperlink next time?
I can do that?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:11 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
I can do that?
Any moron can update WowWiki.

(not saying you're a moron)
Old 09-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Any moron can update WowWiki.

(not saying you're a moron)
Its pretty much the defining characteristic of a wiki, and is perhaps both the formats greatest strength and greatest weakness.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM

Eternal

I thought you had to be approved as a member of the site's maintainance staff. Hm. And now I'm wondering if I should contribute at all. A ton of Worgen information will be made available in comic form sooner than later.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Druid of the Talon

Talking

Do dreadlords come back to life? Kuz arthas killed the dreadlords in northrend but he came back to life
Old 09-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emojomaker View Post
Do dreadlords come back to life? Kuz arthas killed the dreadlords in northrend but he came back to life
Yes, they can't be killed permanently in Azeroth's plane of existence. Their soul keeps getting sent back to the Twisting Nether which allows them to regenerate.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrmKing View Post
Yes, they can't be killed permanently in Azeroth's plane of existence. Their soul keeps getting sent back to the Twisting Nether which allows them to regenerate.
It seemed to imply though that if they were killed in the Nether, they might die for good.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
It seemed to imply though that if they were killed in the Nether, they might die for good.
Was it the nether? I thought it was if you killed them in their home planet or something?

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants