Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1251  
Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,681
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Oh really? I never got around to doing those, so I don't know the details. I just know there's a portal leading there from Shat.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #1252  
Old 04-02-2010, 03:46 AM
RobLore RobLore is offline

Eternal
RobLore's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden!
Posts: 4,164

Default

Yes, if I recall there was a daily quest where you collected energy to fuel the portal.

Previously you had to fly to Quel'danas from a capital city in the Eastern Kingdoms.
Reply With Quote
  #1253  
Old 04-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Yes, if I recall there was a daily quest where you collected energy to fuel the portal.

Previously you had to fly to Quel'danas from a capital city in the Eastern Kingdoms.
Did they ever explain why if a player starts at the FP at IF they warp all the way to the island?
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #1254  
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Sift Sift is offline

Demon Hunter
Sift's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 452

Panda

Excuse me if this has already been gone over, but could this be pandaren clues?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...%27s_Isle1.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #1255  
Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,550
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
Excuse me if this has already been gone over, but could this be pandaren clues?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...%27s_Isle1.jpg
That's probably goblin in origin .
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #1256  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Sift Sift is offline

Demon Hunter
Sift's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 452

Default

Goblins had Asian looking architecture?
Reply With Quote
  #1257  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
RobLore RobLore is offline

Eternal
RobLore's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden!
Posts: 4,164

Default

I would say its a Naga vehicle. Quests in Darkshore say that the Naga uses turtles as transport. But who knows, could be pandaren aswell.

I remember that originally you flew all the way from IF to IQ then after QQ Blizzard changed so you were just teleported because the wait time was annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #1258  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Dunm Dunm is offline

Faerie Dragon
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Posts: 131

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Did they ever explain why if a player starts at the FP at IF they warp all the way to the island?
It was just a timesaver, there wasn't a physical explanation. The flight from IF would have been like 15 minutes if they let it go all the way, so they just put a shortcut in.

The server-wide quests to do things like open the portal and build the statue were fun. I kind of wish they had included some of those in WotLK.
Reply With Quote
  #1259  
Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I would say its a Naga vehicle.
Currently, this seems to be true.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #1260  
Old 04-02-2010, 07:06 PM
RobLore RobLore is offline

Eternal
RobLore's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden!
Posts: 4,164

Default

I really miss the BC bombing runs.
Reply With Quote
  #1261  
Old 04-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,681
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

So, where is the energy coming from to fuel the portal to Quel'danas? Where is is being gathered from? Can someone link the specific quest to gather the energy for the Shattrath to Quel'danas portal?
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #1262  
Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 AM
RobLore RobLore is offline

Eternal
RobLore's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden!
Posts: 4,164

Default

http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:Interce...the_Mana_Cells

And even after that, a constant flow of mana cells is needed to keep the portal up.
Reply With Quote
  #1263  
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Darkphoenix Darkphoenix is offline

The Knight-Lord
Darkphoenix's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 662

Default

Question: How do Blood/High Elves grow?

Blood Elf/High Elf

Adult: 60 years
Middle Age: 175 years
Old Age: 263 years
Venerable Age: 350 years

Formula: (Human Equivalent) x 4.5


The above is the formula that most role-players, including myself, use on the Role-Play server Moon Guard, US. What I want to know is this: do Blood/High Elves, physically, age at the same rate as humans, get to a point (say age 25) and then start to age very slowly?

-or-

Do they age at a much slower rate than a human? For example, going by the above formula, a 45 year old High Elf/Blood Elf would, physically, appear to be the equivalent of the average 10 year old human.
__________________
- Arrodis on Moon Guard-US. Wikia Page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I hope you get raped harder than an African woman during ethnic cleansing
- Noitora, "A Couple of Illidan Spoilers" Thread (Pg. 17; Post #339)
Reply With Quote
  #1264  
Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

I've often wondered this myself, and to be honest, I'm not sure. I think their bodies may age at a rate similar to humans, but the whole "child/adult/venerable" thing may be referring to their mental capacity than anything else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1265  
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Question

How do elves become wretched?

"If there is only one lesson you deign to remember from your time on Sunstrider Isle, let it be this - control your thirst for magic. It is a thirst unending, <name> - what you absorb must be controlled and released via Arcane Torrent. Failure is to become one of the Wretched... hopelessly addicted and insane.

Seek out a mana wyrm and unleash your Arcane Torrent upon it. Learn to master your power. When you have sufficiently released an Arcane Torrent, return to me."

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=8346

I haven't played as a blood elf so what does Arcane Torrent do in order to help a blood elf stay a blood elf? It says something about releasing what you absorb in order to not turn into a wretched but in this quest you drain a fel elf and it turns into a wretched. Isn't that the opposite of how a wretched comes about?
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #1266  
Old 04-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Mikrakov Mikrakov is offline

Ranger
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 307

Default

Think of the wretched as crack addicts, only with magic energy. By you releasing the magic you have drained in an arcane torrent, you thus reduce your depencance on it.
Reply With Quote
  #1267  
Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikrakov View Post
Think of the wretched as crack addicts, only with magic energy. By you releasing the magic you have drained in an arcane torrent, you thus reduce your depencance on it.
But then the other quest I linked has an elf getting drained of the magic but it actually turns that elf into a wretched.

Also on the island there are wretched who run to those magic sources and get zapped and die. What is that all about?
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #1268  
Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Farsider Farsider is offline

Demon Hunter
Farsider's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 404

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
How do elves become wretched?

"If there is only one lesson you deign to remember from your time on Sunstrider Isle, let it be this - control your thirst for magic. It is a thirst unending, <name> - what you absorb must be controlled and released via Arcane Torrent. Failure is to become one of the Wretched... hopelessly addicted and insane.

Seek out a mana wyrm and unleash your Arcane Torrent upon it. Learn to master your power. When you have sufficiently released an Arcane Torrent, return to me."

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=8346

I haven't played as a blood elf so what does Arcane Torrent do in order to help a blood elf stay a blood elf? It says something about releasing what you absorb in order to not turn into a wretched but in this quest you drain a fel elf and it turns into a wretched. Isn't that the opposite of how a wretched comes about?
The arcane torrent mechanic used to be two separate spells: one which drained mana from a target and gave some benefit to the Belf caster (which I can't remember anymore) that stacked up to three times. The second spell unleashed the stack, providing mana for the castor and silencing nearby mobs. Maybe something about the sucking and blowing of mana kept them non-wretched? Now, using the single Arcane Torrent spell, it just plain doesn't make sense.

All we do know about the wretched is that they are hopelessly addicted, to the point of being cracked in the head, and that one can become wretched via getting arcane-sucked, or by poison (happens to a belf in Thousand Needles) Make of that what you will..,


Question: Where were the dragons during the Third War? They lived through the first legion invasion, so they should have known better than to sit back and let the mortals deal with it again. Nothing too big was going on during that time period. Malygos was probably at the height of his sanity (before becoming 'sane' from the netherwing infusion and declaring war on the world) so he could have at least sent a few followers to lend a hand, like he did in the Sunwell Manga. The Nightmare hadn't started yet, and Ysera must have known what was going on, especially after Cenarius got killed and every druid woken up within the span of a month. Alexstraza was certainly doing well at that point. If nothing else, Krasus should have made an appearance and won a battle or two for his old Nelf friends.

But no, not a single mention of any of them until after the battle of Mt. Hyjal. Even the legion seemed to completely ignore them or put them out of mind, like the dragons were a total non-issue. This time period should have been the absolute height of the four dragonflights' power during the entire franchise history. They were all on the recovery after DotD and multiplying like rabbits, and they hadn't been affected by any of the WoW-era problems that crippled them again later. So the Bronzes' may have known ahead of time that their intervention wasn't necessary, but the other three flights should have certainly at least sent a force to join their old Nelf friends, and their new Alliance friends, at Hyjal, if not come out in full force to personally to make sure that the planet they are supposed to be protecting lives to see another day.

Where were they? Is there any explanation given?
Reply With Quote
  #1269  
Old 04-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farsider View Post
All we do know about the wretched is that they are hopelessly addicted, to the point of being cracked in the head, and that one can become wretched via getting arcane-sucked, or by poison (happens to a belf in Thousand Needles) Make of that what you will..,

Question: Where were the dragons during the Third War? They lived through the first legion invasion, so they should have known better than to sit back and let the mortals deal with it again. Nothing too big was going on during that time period. Malygos was probably at the height of his sanity (before becoming 'sane' from the netherwing infusion and declaring war on the world) so he could have at least sent a few followers to lend a hand, like he did in the Sunwell Manga. The Nightmare hadn't started yet, and Ysera must have known what was going on, especially after Cenarius got killed and every druid woken up within the span of a month. Alexstraza was certainly doing well at that point. If nothing else, Krasus should have made an appearance and won a battle or two for his old Nelf friends.

But no, not a single mention of any of them until after the battle of Mt. Hyjal. Even the legion seemed to completely ignore them or put them out of mind, like the dragons were a total non-issue. This time period should have been the absolute height of the four dragonflights' power during the entire franchise history. They were all on the recovery after DotD and multiplying like rabbits, and they hadn't been affected by any of the WoW-era problems that crippled them again later. So the Bronzes' may have known ahead of time that their intervention wasn't necessary, but the other three flights should have certainly at least sent a force to join their old Nelf friends, and their new Alliance friends, at Hyjal, if not come out in full force to personally to make sure that the planet they are supposed to be protecting lives to see another day.

Where were they? Is there any explanation given?
That is the part I don't get. It seems like Blizzard is saying that to not become a wretched you have to expend the magic back out or something. One way to become a wretched though is to have your magic expended out...

I remember red dragons burning blight though in Warcraft III. That is what it looked like to me at least.
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #1270  
Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 AM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,556

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikrakov View Post
Think of the wretched as crack addicts, only with magic energy. By you releasing the magic you have drained in an arcane torrent, you thus reduce your depencance on it.
Right, basically the idea is that if they draw in magic and release it consistently to keep it balanced in their system, they can remain blood elves. If they don't release it and allow the persistent amount of arcane energy in their bodies to keep building up, then when they finally do expend their magic, their bodies will become rapidly starved for magic after having become acclimated to a constant, high-level saturation, thus turning them into Wretched who crave any magic, in any shape or quantity, at all times just to relieve some measure of the lacking in their bodies.

In other words, the more they accumulate, the more it takes to keep their hunger satisfied, and the more it takes, the harder it is to keep imbibing enough to meet that physical demand. And once the need exceeds the ability to draw it in, their condition declines and they become Wretched. So releasing it prevents them from crossing that threshold.

That's why the fel elves in that quest change. Their bodies are even further acclimated to holding massive amounts of fel energy all of the time, so stripping all of that energy away at once causes their systems to "crash" and they become drained, "starved" Wretched.

It's also probably why Kael'thas looks so withered, pale and basically Wretched in the Magister's Terrace instead of being a horned, winged, clawed fel elf. His body likely grew accustomed to the tremendous amount of energy available for absorption in Tempest Keep, and once he was deprived of that in his defeat, his body began to suffer from withdrawal and nothing else could match that level of a fix. Plus becoming Wretched probably prevents the individual from consistently holding onto as much arcane energy as they could before, hence why whatever magic they acquire doesn't accumulate or last long enough to actually cure their ailment.
Reply With Quote
  #1271  
Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Ded Chikn Ded Chikn is offline

Elune
Ded Chikn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Marylan- *gunshot*
Posts: 6,315
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Default

The five dragonflights each have their own sanctuary place in Dragonblight. Wasnt it said that earlier in life there were other dragon flights that were wiped out? Where are their shrines?
__________________
"Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite."
Reply With Quote
  #1272  
Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Chef Chef is offline

Arch-Druid
Chef's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Your kitchen
Posts: 1,848

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
The five dragonflights each have their own sanctuary place in Dragonblight. Wasnt it said that earlier in life there were other dragon flights that were wiped out? Where are their shrines?
There were, but the Titans only empowered five aspects of five dragonflights. I guess the other flights weren't as important as the main 5.
Reply With Quote
  #1273  
Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Nozdormu Nozdormu is offline

Lord of Time
Nozdormu's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,862

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I guess the other flights weren't as important as the main 5.
I think it was because the main five were more influential and numerous.
__________________
{ Bronze Dragons fly at 88 mph }
Reply With Quote
  #1274  
Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,681
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

I would guess that the Shrines were built after the Aspects were empowered. Easiest explanation.

@ARM: That is a spot on explanation of my thoughts on the Wretched. Kael is slightly different though in that he has had that fel crystal grafted into his chest, giving him a constant, direct source of magic. I imagine that in some back room of Magister's Terrace, Kael has some cronies sapping demons and putting the energy into those green crystals and he must change out the crystal in his chest over set intervals of time. This keeps him somewhat stable physically and mentally (not by much though) as compared to the average Wretched.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #1275  
Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Default

I think Blizzard just decided that they never meant there were more dragonflights really.
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.