Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: If WoW went F2P, how would you react?
Come back to the game. 9 47.37%
Keep on playing 5 26.32%
Quit 3 15.79%
Haven't been playing before and I won't start now. 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 PM

Elune

Crossed Axes (War2) If WoW Went F2P

Here is a hypothetical for you, WoW is about to become free to play. Even expansions are free, though more, expensive cosmetic items/mounts/pets/whatever are added to compensate.

Would you still play? Come back? Quit? Let us know what you think.

I personally no longer care for WoW lore (don't even know the current lore) but I find playing WoW oddly relaxing. It is fairly easy to play and repetitive (but not in a boring way, generally) and when I go and play my own music it becomes a kind of meditation. So I'd come back to play it, but pretty much only for the gameplay and even then I'd not play much.

I doubt I'd raid or seriously PvP (used to like low lvl PvP but I hear they changed that), I'd probably just do quests and horse around, I'd just like the convenience of being able to play a bit when I want with no pressure (paying to play does sort of work as a "motivator" to play).
So given that I won't spend money on cosmetic bullshit or be that much active in the game I can't objectively see incentive for Blizzard to go F2P at this time or in the near future. But I'd like it, and maybe I'm wrong, maybe it would be good for the game, hard to say when I am no longer playing.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 PM

World Builder

The lore is a deterrent to paying but the gameplay's good enough to come back if it's free.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I actually quit during the end of MoP because I payed for six months and didn't get it.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:35 AM

Sentinel Queen

Depends on how F2P is handled. If the stuff in the cash shop remains largely cosmetic, then my reaction depends on the quality of the content they are releasing. If it really starts to get into the Facebook game BS where the game is pretty much unplayable unless you use the cash shop, then I wouldn't touch it with someone else's 10-foot pole.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I'd probably quit. Games going F2P makes me feel like they're failures.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Priestess of the Moon

They would set it up with free open world play, all the quests free, 1 free dungeon a day, 1 free BG a day. And then we would pay for unlimited dungeons, pay to get into raid content, and pay for unlimited BG access and Arenas.

They'd tease you with a fucking sweet legendary quest, which F2P players would get cockblocked on because the legendary quests usually involve raiding.

Pretty well everything would suck worse than it does now.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:15 AM

Elune

It already has all the F2P trappings (transmog items, mounts, boost services, big LOOK AT THE STORE button), the difference is we pay a subscription on top of that.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I've said it many times, WoW without subscription would die. The subscription holds a value, people pays to keep their efforts and the invested value going, and they feel somewhat forced to play to make the subscription worth the effort. There's the large communities, too, which you could lose contact with if you unsubscribed.

In short, the subscription has become a huge retention method. Remove it, and people don't have any reason to keep playing as much as they do now, specially with such an old game. Trying new MMOs would be easier, and lot of people wouldn't come back once they discover the newer games beyond WoW.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I've said it many times, WoW without subscription would die. The subscription holds a value, people pays to keep their efforts and the invested value going, and they feel somewhat forced to play to make the subscription worth the effort. There's the large communities, too, which you could lose contact with if you unsubscribed.

In short, the subscription has become a huge retention method. Remove it, and people don't have any reason to keep playing as much as they do now, specially with such an old game. Trying new MMOs would be easier, and lot of people wouldn't come back once they discover the newer games beyond WoW.
Would it really die though? I'm willing to bet a very, very, high chunk - most likely the majority - of people who are playing other F2P MMOs are doing so not necessarily because that game is better, but because they don't wish to subscribe to WoW.

I think if WoW went F2P it could honestly surpass WotLK's 12 million. Am I saying they SHOULD do that? Not necessarily, not yet anyway, I'm just saying what I believe. WoW is one of the few games where turning on a F2P switch would (in my opinion) generate several million more subscribers/'returnees' over night.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:04 PM

Eternal

I would come back and play it and bring others I know with me who haven't been willing to pay the subscription fee. I would rather expansions still cost money than them relying solely on cosmetic stuff though.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:21 AM

Critter

Don't think it would ever happen. And if it did, the game would die pretty fast. The subscription lends value to everything you do. Like already said, it gives incentive for a player to keep progressing (new gear, more levels, etc) instead of letting a sub get wasted and run out.

Also, there's almost a correlation between F2P and the strength of a community. Take a lesson from the recent Korean F2P MMO Archeage. Everyone thought it was going to be the next big thing. Then as soon as launch hits, bots and gold farmers are nearly as prevalent as actual players (or even more) and the developers simply don't have the infrastructure to handle the load of players with their servers.

When there's no incentive to play, the community is also not the same. It breaks down quickly. No loyalty whatsoever. Just look at any Archeage Facebook posts. You have dozens of people badmouthing the game in the comments despite following it. Although other factors might be involved in its downfall, Archeage can be used as a case study for the ugly side of F2P games.

Lastly, the day WoW turns F2P is the day millions of players will feel betrayed after having spent a lot of money on subscriptions over the years... let alone the vanity items which have no inherent value except what we attribute to them. They would be worth less if subs aren't needed. I don't think WoW would go same way most F2P games do but maybe a smaller subscription or microtransaction thing would be better.

Last edited by Vikstone; 01-15-2015 at 11:11 PM..

Tags
end of wau, opinions, poll, unlikely comback, wow