Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Arch-Druid

The maps are lovely x3

I think the 'kingdom' is simply called theramore, but we cn look it up
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Yeah, they mostly settled in Theramore, but they also live all over Dustwallow Marsh. The south is mostly Steemwheedle/Black Dragonflight, though, while the northwest is mostly Stonemaul. Northeast is the Theramorian part.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 AM

Eternal

Once again a great map, but shouldn't Durotar look a little bit more redish?
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 11-19-2008, 11:34 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

What's that around Silithus?

Anyway, I don't understand why you made Teldrassil smaller. I'd have left it as big as it appears now in-game.

Theramore a bit small, as they have pointed before.

Aside from that, it's perfect.

PS: Would love to know the steps you followed to make those pretty maps, I'm very interested in making my owns, not of Warcraft at all.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Absolutely fantastic work Ashen, far more natural looking than any other maps I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah
It's awesome, except that the border of the Thousand Needles and Tanaris seems somehow unnatural, like the eastern tip of the needles were a peninsula of rock in the middle of a sand sea.
It looks alright to me, though I'm looking at it in the perspective of the Flats being a literal Alkali desert wherein nothing can grow/change the soil and thus it appears far more barren than even Tanaris.

The harder part though, and the one that Blizz needs to find a way to rectify, is how suddenly we go from Feralas' verdant forests to Thousand Needles canyon. If there was a trickle of water left running through, or at least the intimation of one, it'd seem to be a far smoother transition than the way they have it now.

Now Ashen, the hardest part of all this is adding the actual cities/evidence of civilization to the continents. For that I don't envy you, but damn would I respect you if you manage to take the time for all of that. Either way it's already quite an accomplishment above and beyond Blizzard's own depictions.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM

Sentinel Queen

Lon-Ami; Teldrassil is just a tree - a really, really big one; true - but still. I refuse to believe in the bole of a tree that's larger than entire nations in the real world. It'll make a bit more sense when I post a picture where I show - how I imagine it - the size of Azeroth next to our own world. The same goes for Theramore - I've taken it that the city sprawls across the whole island, and it being a city with a population of no more than 10,000, the city is therefore not overly large - and so, neither is the island. The same reasoning behind Menethil Harbour.

Actually, one could always take a peek at this picture which, I've heard, is from the upcoming WoW movie - imagine Teldrassil in that scale, but that the rest of Kalimdor is a continent the size of Europe at the very least. Always shocks me, as a European, that our continent - including all those swaths of Russia and whatnot - make up a less than 7% of the world's landmass, or 2% total area. North America sits at closer to 17% (4.8) - to put things in perspective.

And yeah, the Needles-Feralas thing always bugged me. Well... it's not all that much terrible than all the other zone transitions, which I've tried to smooth out, along with removing, or softening, all these damned mountain ranges. Not completely pleased with it, but seeing as I still want to keep it recognizeable as maps of Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms... well. Not to say I'm not pleased with the result, 'course.

Oh, Cantus, such things wouldn't show up as much more than dots and labels next to them, at least so in my scale. Oh, maybe some of them big huge walls could be hinted at, but otherwise I don't plan for much more... graphical stuff, as it were. (Even I have limits!)

Oh, Lon-Ami... well, basically, I start out with some more-or-less official map in one layer, in Photoshop - in a layer above I plot out the contours of the continent, plus lakes and rivers, fill out the surrounding area with water - thus creating a hole through which to view the map of the continent below. In a layer between I dump in references from real satellite images of Earth - mostly South America, since I found a like 8000-pixel huge picture of it - using the Clone tool. Got a Wacom tablet to help me out, but that's pretty much it. Oh, then I make it look a bit prettier by locking the transparency of the "water"-layer and working on the water around the coasts. I could talk more about it, if you'd like, but there's no grand technique to be revealed - just water-layer on top, beneath it the original reference, and between the land-layer which I paint with the clone tool.

Lemme tell you, I sure have a better grasp on the geography of South America now afterwards. Northrend is bound to be a bastard if I go there; snow is hopeless to convey. In satellite images, it shows up as... white. Period. Pretty much.

Last edited by Ashenmoon; 11-19-2008 at 05:09 PM..
Old 11-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
What's that around Silithus?
I was going to ask the same thing.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:32 PM

Sentinel Queen

Uh... around Silithus? Mountains? Desert? Water?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:58 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Bloody hell, those maps are nice. Keep it up, man. I take it Northrend is next?
Member #14
Old 11-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenmoon View Post
Uh... around Silithus? Mountains? Desert? Water?
Some kind of weird island.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I don't see anything .
Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 PM

Huntress

I would want Outland to be next.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 AM

Elune

Theramore Isle, for example, mustn't have the city in the entire island, nor Menethil.

About Teldrassil, I would say that it's right, considering the map is from the size of the floor of the island and that Teldrassil still has land around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Azeroth View Post
I would want Outland to be next.
Draenor would be better.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-20-2008, 06:09 AM

Sentinel Queen

Don't get your hopes up on Outland/Draenor. That stuff is so messed up I doubt I'll want to get close to it. More likely Northrend, but even more so the South Sea islands and so tying together Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. I scorn Northrend's current position as well-nigh on the same longitude as northern Lordaeron in the full-world in-game map. To me, it's well north of everything.

And ah, now I see. You mean the islands southwest of Silithus? It's actually a reviving of a part of an old - I take it - map from WoW itself: check this picture out. I've no idea where that map comes from, but it certainly looks like something showed inside WoW itself - got the trademark borders and all that. Might be "fake", fan-made, of course, but then - why the hell would someone make a small archipelago southwest of Silithus?

Well, maybe for the same reason I did. I thought it looked neat, and spiced up an otherwise bland coastline with some more interesting features. Odd map, anyway - got features from a little bit of everything, but those islands I aint seen anywhere else.

And... you don't see anything, Saim? Just at the bottom of the first post in the thread? Hurh, no idea.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 AM

Elune

WHoA, I didn't know about that map. I saw old maps showing Silithus was smaller, but this is 100% new for me.

I like it, hope they elaborate on that island.

PS: Put links below each image so those who have them blocked can see them clicking the link.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenmoon View Post
Don't get your hopes up on Outland/Draenor. That stuff is so messed up I doubt I'll want to get close to it. More likely Northrend, but even more so the South Sea islands and so tying together Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. I scorn Northrend's current position as well-nigh on the same longitude as northern Lordaeron in the full-world in-game map. To me, it's well north of everything.

And ah, now I see. You mean the islands southwest of Silithus? It's actually a reviving of a part of an old - I take it - map from WoW itself: check this picture out. I've no idea where that map comes from, but it certainly looks like something showed inside WoW itself - got the trademark borders and all that. Might be "fake", fan-made, of course, but then - why the hell would someone make a small archipelago southwest of Silithus?

Well, maybe for the same reason I did. I thought it looked neat, and spiced up an otherwise bland coastline with some more interesting features. Odd map, anyway - got features from a little bit of everything, but those islands I aint seen anywhere else.

And... you don't see anything, Saim? Just at the bottom of the first post in the thread? Hurh, no idea.
I was saying that I didn't see anything weird about Silithus.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 PM

Elune

There's a island west of Ahn'Qiraj, not weird enough?

Although it seems it was there from long ago, so I like it .

Old 11-28-2008, 10:08 PM

Hippogryph

Love of maps ...rising...must zoom for details.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:11 AM

Hippogryph Rider

Northrend might have lots of snow, but it also has substantial areas without snow.. most of Howling Fjord, Borean Tundra and Grizzly Hills are pretty snow-free, and even Zul'Drak and Storm Peaks should have variations on simple snow-covered terrain (mountains ranges and plateaus), although Zul'Drak might prove a challenge all on its own what with all the architecture.

Oh.. and there's Sholazar Basin too.. green green and greener!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 AM

Warden

Holy Hell that is amazin!!!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Sentinel Queen

Yah; thankies, all who like 'em, and an "arrh" to all who've suggested stuff - rest assured, I've taken it all... well, some of it, in any case... to heart. Problem's just that I got bored with it all. So don't stay up waiting hoping for Northrend or something along those lines. Might do it, some time, but for now, no plans on it.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Warden

Well poo!

I may try my hand at Northrend. See if I can slam my face into it enough to make myself want to slit my wrists. Snow. D:
Old 12-05-2008, 01:29 PM

Sentinel Queen
Send a message via AIM to Rebirth

Fucking gorgeous.

Tags
cartography, creative