Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default Draenor / Outland (Image Heavy Speculation)

Since I'm bored and Blizzcon didn't give me many maps to mess around with like MoP or Cata I felt like seeing how much Blizzard tried to show how Outland was once Draenor. Since I noticed there was a bit of discussion going on about the areas in other topics I figured I'd make a topic.

The concept map that already seems pretty dated as they disconnected Faralhon from Draenor due to it being in a future patch and that southern Nagrand area was cut off to become that island south of it now (also probably for a patch, an ogre one I'd presume given what's in both areas).

Hellfire /Tanaan

The overall shape stayed roughly the same and it's neat how they used the dried rivers in Tanaan with the area the Citadel covers.

Shadowmoon Valley

The zone seems to have changed a bit more than Hellfire did with the southern section extended further and not having a giant orc made volcano.

Terokkar / Talador

It's hard to see any similarities between the 2 zones besides the placement of the water which helps you see where Skettis is and the possible location of Turrem which is easier to see from the WoD Shadowmoon map. It seems the zone had some land added to it along the north eastern section and along the north where mountains are currently at in Outland along with the remnants of the Zangar Sea with the lake north of Shattrath and some of the marshland. Makes sense they'd try and prevent the unnatural mountain ranges they still did during TBC.

Nagrand

Nagrand didn't change much at all besides the slight shape change due to Zangar being a sea. The 2 lakes actually overlap perfectly with the maps.

Blade's Edge / Frostfire/Gorgrond

It almost feels like they were trying too hard to justify adding another mountainous zone to Draenor and then took away the spikes from Blade's Edge since I'd imagine those spikes took a bit of time to place in TBC. On the concept map of Draenor there is a area in the middle where it seems there's a height change though so maybe a bladed section is there.

It's impossible to really compare the zones here given only a portion of the overall shape is still there. The first thing I notice is the indentation still being there on the southeastern section of Gorgrond and the slight indentation along the north on the old map. Like Talador it seems the zone goes into what is currently Zangars eastern section. The part coming off of the north eastern section probably would be a part of Netherstorm now.

Zangar / Sea of Zangar

It seems most the area still above the water for Zangar is now part of Gorgrand and Talador with slight bits above water for the Twin Spires and a island where Telredor would be which is seen on the concept map (and a dot on the regular map). Also notice the island with ogres on it is also a ogre camp on the Frost Fire map and is a area that goes a bit into the sea.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Y'know, I kind of wish they hadn't made it it's own island. It's always an island! Why couldn't the big Ogre nation be connected to the rest of Draenor, but we just can't go there because ~reasons~. Why does Faralon HAVE to become an island when they decide it'll be patched in!

I mean it's an incredibly minor gripe that I care very little about, but uh...

Anyway, I think they did a pretty good job designing backwards. Gorgrond and Frostfire don't really fit together in a way that reasonably creates BEM, but I guess when the whole world is sundered some things don't stay very recognizable. I like that Gorgrond is pretty reminiscent of the big canyon in BEM, and Frostfire seems to have the more dramatic rock structures side of the equation.

Last edited by Porimlys; 11-11-2013 at 04:19 AM..
Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
I like that Gorgrond is pretty reminiscent of the big canyon in BEM,
judging by the map, Frostfire actually seems to have that area now
Old 11-11-2013, 05:31 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

In the case of Blade's Edge Mountains, they are respecting W2 Draenor with the zone being just a named mountain range and not an entire zone:

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 AM

Arch-Druid

Jep, the map implies that most of Frostfire Ridge became Blade's Edge Mountain and that much of Gorgrond was destroyed when Draenor became Outland.

It partially makes sense, since we know how much of Draenor's landscape and climate has drasticly changed because of Gul'dan's and the Dark Horde's Actions.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:46 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I too have issues with it being an island, why does the one part of Outland showing its actually falling appart need to be separated. I'm bothered by more than a few things about these maps, mostly a lack of cohesion between old and new. Draenai locations that totally should exist don't, terrain that should be there looks absent. Granted its hard to judge these based on the maps alone, but half the appeal of this expansion is the familiarity of the terrain, if they fuck that up a huge part of the appeal goes with it. I know they love retcons these days, but this is one thing they need to not be moronic about.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

What Draenei locations don't exist?

We know about the big three, Auchindoun, Shattrath and Karabor, am I not thinking of another?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
I too have issues with it being an island, why does the one part of Outland showing its actually falling appart need to be separated. I'm bothered by more than a few things about these maps, mostly a lack of cohesion between old and new. Draenai locations that totally should exist don't, terrain that should be there looks absent. Granted its hard to judge these based on the maps alone, but half the appeal of this expansion is the familiarity of the terrain, if they fuck that up a huge part of the appeal goes with it. I know they love retcons these days, but this is one thing they need to not be moronic about.
That's an alternate timeline. We known since TotA that such timelines can exists without outside interference, thus, it is not illogical to believe that some locations which exists in what we dub the Main Universe don't exist in the Alternate Universe because the one who wished to create the settlement died in his youth, made another choice, etc...
Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
That's an alternate timeline. We known since TotA that such timelines can exists without outside interference, thus, it is not illogical to believe that some locations which exists in what we dub the Main Universe don't exist in the Alternate Universe because the one who wished to create the settlement died in his youth, made another choice, etc...
TotA specifically showed that alternate timelines don't exist unless they are created. However, unless they ultimately explain that AU Draenor was created and modified long before Garrosh's arrival.

As far as we know, the missing draenei settlements are Altar of Sha'tar, Ba'ari and Illidari Point on Shadowmoon Valley. The first could have perfectly been built by the Aldor in TBC, so don't necessarely count it as "lol retcon". The third could be a little flavor mountainous enclave/refuge, so don't lose your mind about it.

So the only really missing town is Ba'ari.

Eclipse Point is surely that coastal draenei-like town in the south, so we're only missing two towns.

PS: Also, I was thinking about something today. Garrosh is said to hve arrived in year -4 (35 years before the present), which means that he arrives even before Rise of the Horde. Maybe some of the draenei settlement were being built/were built between year -4 and year -3 (when the orcs started attacking the draenei).

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Last edited by Cemotucu; 11-11-2013 at 06:04 AM..
Old 11-11-2013, 06:16 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
What Draenei locations don't exist?

We know about the big three, Auchindoun, Shattrath and Karabor, am I not thinking of another?
Basically all of the other draenei settlements, but they haven't said one way or another if they exist or not.

- Tuurem
- Orebor Harborage
- Temple of Telhamat (Temple)
- Ruins of Sha'naar (Temple)
- Twin Spire Ruins (Temple/Burial Site)
- Telredor
- Halaa
- Telaar

But really every single one of these should exist in some form because they're all in some state of ruin now (except for Telredor).
Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

They could explain that by stating that they're hidden by draenei magic. Feels like a lazy excuse, but we know that draenei are capable of doing so.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
They could explain that by stating that they're hidden by draenei magic. Feels like a lazy excuse, but we know that draenei are capable of doing so.
Or completely destroyed by locals.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Quote:
Or that they were created as refuges to escape the orcish Horde after the great cities fell - which hasn't happened (yet) in the AU.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Elune

Well, Twin Spire Ruins was confirmed by Kosak to be a twin lighthouse, while Orebor Harborage and Bo'hamu are in the borders of Zangarmarsh: likely, Zangar Sea's coast in this untouched Draenor. Telredor is built over a giant mushroom that likely was already tall enough to support the monastery over water.

We know nothing of Tanaan, so it's too early to bithc about it. Same with Tuurem (wich will likely e the Alliance town in Talador).

As of Nagrand, I'm interested about Telaar Halaa: guess one will be Alliance-controlled.

In Shadowmoon, the only really important missing town is Baa'ri, which was destroyed in our timeline because of the Hand of Gul'dan, and the Temple of Sha'tar. Given that WoD takes place a year before the orcs atacks began in our timeline, Blizzard can say both towns were built in our timeline in that period and that the Iron Horde's attack has already prevented the construction to start.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 11-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Elune

We've only seen Shadowmoon's and Frostfire's maps. It's too early to say the draenei towns aren't there.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Eternal

I can handle most of the discrepancies, but I very much dislike that we are getting a tiny island continent that looks exactly like Outland. I wanted a giant planet-like area. It really feels sad, just as it is sad that Farahlon is an island. Sure, there is the Ogre continent. But we know nothing of it, and I doubt we will get to see much of it. It would make more sense if our explorable area was connected to that continent, even if only by a little isthmus. Perhaps it would have a great gate, and toll booth, preventing most people from entering. The ogres would say "Halt!", or something like that. I just dislike the idea of the important part of Draenor being a tiny little island.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagan View Post
I can handle most of the discrepancies, but I very much dislike that we are getting a tiny island continent that looks exactly like Outland. I wanted a giant planet-like area. It really feels sad, just as it is sad that Farahlon is an island. Sure, there is the Ogre continent. But we know nothing of it, and I doubt we will get to see much of it. It would make more sense if our explorable area was connected to that continent, even if only by a little isthmus. Perhaps it would have a great gate, and toll booth, preventing most people from entering. The ogres would say "Halt!", or something like that. I just dislike the idea of the important part of Draenor being a tiny little island.
pandaria was about the same size, and it was important. just because the place is important doesn't mean it has to be the size of azeroth combined
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Yea I think they use the single landmasses a bit much but it's not that big of a deal.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:30 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshadow View Post
pandaria was about the same size, and it was important. just because the place is important doesn't mean it has to be the size of azeroth combined
It has nothing to do with importance, or size. Draenor is supposed to be a planet, whereas Pandaria is a continent. Pandaria and Draenor should not be relatively the same size, I'd think. I'd settle for the same size of area we are getting with WoD in 6.0, as long as it was attached to some place else that we could not go to and not just a little island.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
It has nothing to do with importance, or size. Draenor is supposed to be a planet, whereas Pandaria is a continent. Pandaria and Draenor should not be relatively the same size, I'd think. I'd settle for the same size of area we are getting with WoD in 6.0, as long as it was attached to some place else that we could not go to and not just a little island.
Just because we go to a small continent doesn't mean Draenor isn't a planet. Planets have oceans.

There's the ogre continent you can see the edge of to the southwest.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

I find these two more interesting

Can't actually find a picture of the Forelings...
Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
Just because we go to a small continent doesn't mean Draenor isn't a planet. Planets have oceans.

There's the ogre continent you can see the edge of to the southwest.
And the fact that it's on the map means they're much more likely to actually put it to use, even if it's not game-accessible.

The Ogre Empire might be the next expansion.

... admittedly, I love how all it takes is a strip of land on a map and a couple worldbuilding comments from the devs to give us a full-fledged new Possible Expansion Idea to draw on.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Can't actually find a picture of the Forelings...
Forelings? What were those again?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Some weird short plant like creatures about the same size as a sporeling.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Think he means Sporelings.

Have they actually been mentioned at all? I hope we do see them, but I don't think we've heard anything either way.

With that said, goodbye.

Tags
all land is scroll land, cartography, shattered dreams, warlocks of draenor