Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Sentinel Queen

Default Look what I did! (a map)

Updated with a terrain-only Kalimdor map, and no-borders Eastern Kingdoms.

Updated with a "World Comparison" map, and an estimate at human, ehm, what's-it-called... population density, I guess.

--

So, hello. New face, I am. I thought of, and even began, on a sort of introduction - such being commonplace, after all, when one introduces oneself - for myself, but finding myself winding away, I decided that I'll just skip that part.

Instead, I'll try to restrain my loquaciousness and explain a wee bit about the file I've attached. Well, duh. It's a map. Eastern Kingdoms. And... well, it's an attempt to represent the world of WarCraft in a more... real-feeling way, as it were, than any other map I've stumbled across. Now, things to mention about this version here is, apart from it being rather small, but consider it more as a preview of bigger things to come, should you be interested... ah yeah, apart from that, you'll notice multi-coloured dotted lines and blobs of colour of various opacity. The dots are the boundaries of the human nations - more or less, heck, I started on this thing yesterday night - at some vaguely undefined time of peace, whereas the coloured terrain is an attempt to show the extent of their influence in the present.

And that's... all fine and dandy, to be sure. Probably been done before, I figure. Though it did spark some revelations I had thought I'd already attained before - like, for instance, how Lordaeron-the-nation basically was as big as all the others together, and now is a ruin, together with... all the others. I give such things quite a bit of pondering, but since this isn't the time, although arguably the place, I'll just state the following realization: given that nearly every human nation has been toppled in the last twenty-thirty years or so, the amount of refugees, or, dislocated people, must number beyond the insane. I don't give a damn about what nonsense WoWWiki or other, more official, sources might state for population numbers and such - I always figured Lordaeron-the-continent to be, oh, somewhat smaller than Europe or along those lines, with population to match.

Anyway, cutting that realization-stating short, I'll move on. So why am I making this thread, you might wonder? Why, 't's to mine your knowledgeable heads, and mayhap be corrected, or instructed, as to how a map such as this should look? I'm thinking, for instance, on the borders of Lordaeron - or rather, if not Alterac and Arathor shared one such? Anyone know? Ah, but it's not just that sort of simple things. There's also the question of... well, there's blank spaces on the map, the official one. I based this on the latest in-game map of the Eastern Kingdoms... but I added bits and pieces from other versions. And then there's the predicament of never knowing what size something is. The in-game world represents a real, much, much larger world - but some parts are supposed to be just the size they are in-game. A really tiny island out in the ocean maybe is supposed to be just that - or it could be interpreted as a shrunk-down miles-wide landmass. Cities are an example of the reverse - they occupy huge areas on the map, but set to the correct scale, they're wee dots. Which messes stuff up big time. Which is why I'd love to hear your thoughts!

So shoot away. Oh, right - the future of this little project, you wonder? Well, the logical continuation would be to create a similar map for Kalimdor, which I plan to. But foo, I come up with and give up projects like this on a daily basis. Then I pondered if maybe I could try to convey other political entities more properly - cough, cough, the Horde - and perhaps other tidbits of interest - say, population densities, and the like! All subject, of course, to my own interpretation of such things - which, if you'd care to, you could influence! Tada!

But, for now, this text-wall is ended before it becomes all too unwieldy.

Toodles.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ashenmoon; 12-19-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 06:29 PM

Eternal

I am speechless, that map is simply awesome.
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 11-15-2008, 03:04 AM

Druid of the Talon

Are you going to eventually make a world map, that be awesome.

PS: it looks solid
Old 11-15-2008, 03:41 AM

Arch-Druid

That map really does look great. Awesome work there!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:00 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Awesome map is awesome.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:20 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

This map looks like real satelite map. It's a pity that WarCraft was always too cartoonish for excellent maps like this.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:38 AM

Sentinel Queen

Ah yes. They've got their cartoony style for sure, but I like to just... ignore that part, and ponder the reality of Azeroth - what it would be like. And in my opinion, integral to an understanding of such sort, maps of all kinds are among the best educational tools. I'll see if maybe I'll get around to making a Kalimdor thing, too... and perhaps show off some of my thoughts as to how large these continents are compared to our own world's.

Perhaps anyone know if there's some official source on the scale of these places? I seem to recall reading somewhere that Kalimdor was said to be... oh, was it 1600 miles across at the widest? Eyeing old WC3 loading screens, alas, have never really given me anything tangible to work with.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:47 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

We were never given real distances, and WoW makes it even worse, since we can reach from Tanaris, through Storm Peaks, to Stranglethorn Vale in one day.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 AM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

A perfect map :O
You could mark the dwarven and elven territories too and make a legend.
But take another color for Gilneas, black is really hard to see^^
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

That's really good. Really. Minor suggestion though, I'm pretty sure Dalaran was a little larger than being a city-state, you may want to include part of Silverpine in its territory.

I think the reason Lordaeron is so big compared to the others is because of confusion. The northern part of the EK is also called Lordaeron... kinda like how "America" can refer to both the USA and the two continents themselves.

So when we say "Lordaeron has been ravaged and has fallen to the undead", one cannot be sure if that means "the area known as lordaeron" or "the kingdom known as lordaeron".
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Sentinel Queen

Heh, yeah, Gilneas' colour is silly - it's canonical, but I'll swap it to something you can actually see.

And, true enough, Dalaran's territories ought to be expanded. For instance, Cross Island at the shores of Lordamere Lake... which aint present in WoW, but that's not enough to perturb me. I figure the islands in the lake anyway ought to be shrunk down somewhat.

As for the size of Lordaeron-the-nation; yeah, I guess I might have included some areas within its borders that belong to some of the other ones - but that's only relevant in the southern parts of that continent; the northern part is still huge, and has no other nations with which borders could be confused. Of course, the effective extents of a nation need not be defined by bordering nations - after all, some countries just dribble out into the wilderness and that's it. In any case, even with massive amounts of the population turned undead, counting in refugees from the other northern nations, it's a question of millions dislocated. Explains the 200,000 monster called Stormwind, heh.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Sentinel Queen

Great job. The only thing that puzzles me is the size of Stromgarde; in WoW the Arathi Highlands isn't much bigger than Elwynn, but here it seems nearly as large as Elwynn, Westfall, and Duskwood combined.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:37 AM

Elune

Stormwind isn't 200 000. It's 20 000. Makers admitted typo.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Lordaeron could, I suppose, be a lot like Russia, big and unpopulated.

Maybe due to Stormwind's southern location and status as a port nation, I've always thought of them with a slightly Iberian fare.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Eternal

Looks well done, realistic and interesting. I give this project of yours my full support.

And also, on the matter of scale. I remember once reading that it'd take a full day on horseback to cross Silverpine Forest. We could make some calculations from that notion for a horse's medium speed and see if the corresponding size for the world would make sense.

Anyway, good luck with the project and keep up the good work.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:00 PM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Nice map, it's better than the one I did some time ago. I love fantasy maps and the one you did it's awesome.
BTW, I think that Tol Barad should be included as Stromgarde territory.

Damn, the Seven Kingdoms deserve more respect from Blizzard in WoW.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:14 PM

Loremaster

Very nice dude!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Very awesome, can't wait to see Kalimdor
Old 11-16-2008, 04:28 AM

Eternal

See, Omacron's trip trough WoW Fora did bring us decent new posters!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Hail you Omacron, your hard work bring us tones of awesomeness!

The map is simply great. I like the northern part of Stratholme, it's well built.

Anyway, Kul'Tiras and Gilneas are too small... I'd make them from scratch, considering WoW hasn't included them. You know, look how Quel'Thalas was before TBC and look it now. Gilneas will end differently for sure.

So, my tip is: make yourself all the blank areas. If there's nothing in WoW, feel free to delete that zones or add new ones.

(For example, northern Dun Morogh is empty, so you can delete it and make Kul'Tiras bigger, while you can remake from scratch Gilneas, giving even more space to Kul'Tiras. It's my opinion, so don't take it as a fact.)

I don't know how you guys manage to do maps like this, but they're simply the best maps of Azeroth.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 AM

This guy came from my lore Q&A thread? Hrm, great. Maybe I should make a new one, the first one kinda died.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
This guy came from my lore Q&A thread? Hrm, great. Maybe I should make a new one, the first one kinda died.
We need more than one answerer guys so you won't have to spend all your free time posting there and the thread won't depend on your activeness.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 PM

Hippogryph Rider

The problem is the wow forums are monsters and as soon as you open a thread like that you quickly get swamped.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 PM

Sentinel Queen

Hmmh. Come to think of it, yeah, I was probably led here from some thread on the WoW forums. Although you guys also popped up in a later Google-search, so I'd give the two equal responsibility in dumping me in here. Te hee.

Anyhow; I'm actually working on a Kalimdor thing, though inspiration dribbled out a few hours ago. But, who knows, might finish it tomorrow or... not. But first, seems reasonable to give response where response is due:

Thanks, to everyone, who appreciate the effort expended by, well, yours truly! Projects such as these, though certainly fulfilling on a personal level just by themselves, ever seem more worthwhile when one can bask in their praise!

Onwards, then. To Wabbajack's suggestion of extending my plotting-out of political powers to include dwarves and elves - and Horde - my answer is: certainly, that'll be what I'll do once I'm satisfied with the... ah, world-building as such. Who knows, maybe I'll throw in Northrend and all the randomly placed-out isles in the seas, too, for good measure.

Peger - true enough, the Arathi Highlands are somewhat oversized. Though I could blame it somewhat on my swaths of Orange colour obscuring the terrain (marking the influence of the nation Alterac, now, as it happens, the Syndicate) and that the dotted border of Stromgarde is somewhat generous. I do, however, not think it is all that large - given that the northern stretch of the Highlands are, to my mind, a slow succession of rising hills, the proper extent of the Highlands are much smaller than showed here.

That, of course, is just what I made up to excuse myself. I'll make a note of clarifying Stromgarde's borders.

Omacron; lovely of you to mention that about drawing parallels to real nations! I've tried to do that myself, never arriving at anything conclusive - just that Gilneas is a bloody Transylvania incarnate. But it's a game I love to play. Though Russia, to my mind, is far to... oh... cold, and not just the weather, compared to Lordaeron. And I don't really think it's all that thinly populated - on the contrary, I quite do believe Lordaeron's size was well matched by its population.

Wulfang - a day across Silverpine, you say? On horse? Ooh... well... how quick is a horse? Wikipedia says a trot averages, oh, 15 kilometres an hour. Maybe Silverpine is along the lines of 150 kilometres wide? And... oh, say it'd take two weeks from Silverpine to Tyr's Hand or equivalent eastern shore-location... one'd arrive at something like 2100 kilometres. Uuh... that's about the width of, say, England. To throw in a random number; England apparently had about four million inhabitants around the year 1600.

Of course, I think I've underestimated something - or did it really take two weeks to cross England on horse? I doubt it. I'd've guessed at closer the half that time, but meh; I tire of this monologue.

Hades, WoWWiki claims Tol Barad was incorporated into Kul Tiras' territory after, uh, was it the Second War? But good point, nonetheless - some fleshing out in that archipelago is, I think, due.

Lon-Ami, while I certainly agree to the notion of some artistic (or rather, good sense) liberty when it comes to undefined areas in WoW... I think I'm more or less content with their sizes as it is. Of course, I would rather submit to a scale where Gilneas is more along the size of... oh, Portugal, ought to be a good example. While looking tiny on a map, the nation Portugal was well able to be one of the superpowers of its time. (Of course, eyeing Lordaeron's suspicious size, one can't help but feel that there has been some expansion over the centuries - such large, cogent political bodies seldom start out at such size. But duh, that Lordaeron is - was - the superpower need hardly be motivated.)

Ah, that was all for now. Toodles!

Last edited by Ashenmoon; 11-16-2008 at 12:10 PM..
Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Priestess of the Moon

It would be nice to see a full political map of Azeroth. I wanted to do it but then I... didn't. Probably because I was playing WoW instead.

I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it as well as you have done, though. Great job!

Tags
cartography, creative