Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > Hearthstone / Heroes of the Storm Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Guys, guys I've just figured something amazing out.

I know why WoD was made!

It was made to explain why Doomhammer and Gorehowl are not legendaries. They are epics and so there can be two of them in a deck. That is why they had to introduce another Draenor and so one more Doomhammer and Gorehowl so that Hearthstone can make sense!
Ha! I likes it!
Old 04-18-2015, 04:06 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KND View Post

For a new battleground one setting in the world of Kaiju Diablo and Mecha Anub and Tassadar could be great. Giant monsters and robots. Kaiju Deathwing!
That would be our world. Cyb'Arak is defending Africa.

But I'm not sure Tassadar fits in there. The flavor text puts him in a Transformers-verse. He's quite literally Optimus Prime.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 04-18-2015, 06:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
That would be our world. Cyb'Arak is defending Africa.

But I'm not sure Tassadar fits in there. The flavor text puts him in a Transformers-verse. He's quite literally Optimus Prime.
An AU of our world. Just as there is an AU Earth for that battle-tank hero who fought in World War 3.

As far as we know, the only character from our world is that Lumberjack Uther skin.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 04-18-2015, 08:46 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
As far as we know, the only character from our world is that Lumberjack Uther skin.
Lies! He's a peasant from AU Azeroth's Tyr's Hand! He became a living legend until he lost a woodcutting contest to Sneed!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:53 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Lies! He's a peasant from AU Azeroth's Tyr's Hand! He became a living legend until he lost a woodcutting contest to Sneed!
You are under to effects of nostalgia-itis! Arthur Light was born in British Columbia!

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 AM

Eternal

Heck, they could make Cyb'Arak and all that Kaiju stuff part of Overwatch.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Heck, they could make Cyb'Arak and all that Kaiju stuff part of Overwatch.
Beautiful

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 PM

Echo of the Past

WAIT A SECOND HERE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarian
"Emperor Thaurissan summoned Ragnaros into this world! Please, destroy him."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Card flavor
His second greatest regret is summoning an evil Firelord who enslaved his entire people.
That's just not true! They're equating him with his ancestor! How silly.

Hearthipedia already says as much, but still.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:17 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
WAIT A SECOND HERE!

That's just not true! They're equating him with his ancestor! How silly.

Hearthipedia already says as much, but still.
Baron, it's Warcraft. It's more of a brand than a setting with coherent lore at this point.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:26 AM

Echo of the Past

The Dragon Consort is a paladin-exclusive card because, despite everything else, dragons prefer to have their dedication ceremonies in a really pretty church.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Echo of the Past

Smile

Why BaronGrackle's happyloreplace gets excited by the Commanders, Footman, Grunt, Knight, and Raider units

1) Human and Orc commander minions exist, both emphasizing control of their armies but also giving decidedly different advantages for this control. The human endows collective strength to his soldiers, while the orc gains personal battlefield strength from his.

They arguably represent the RTS Player in the same sense that a Questing Adventurer represents the WoW Player.

versus

2) The cost-to-strength breakdown of Footmen and Grunts are indicative of Warcraft III unit diversity.

versus

Note: 2 Footmen are needed to kill 1 Grunt; but a Grunt costs twice as much as a Footman

3) The wolfriding Raider is more effective in attacking the enemy's base and retreating (i.e. hitting the face) than in overpowering other strong units; this is also indicative of Warcraft III unit diversity.

4) The Knight matches the relative strength of its Warcraft III unit, plus the lore-regarded significance it received in Garona's and Gul'dan's accounts in the first two Warcraft manuals.

Quote:
Victory would have been assured, but for the arrival of their great, mounted soldiers. These fiends rode atop beasts of muscle and sinew that crashed through our ranks and dealt as much damage to our troops as did their riders. These knights, as we have come to know them, rallied what few soldiers remained, and began driving us out of the castle. Our every turn was countered as we were forced to retreat towards the gateway back to our world. Some trick of magic had them always at our back, sides, and in our path. We barely reached the edges of the swamplands that now surrounded the portal and eluded our pursuers in its murky depths.
Quote:
The attack against Stormwind was catastrophic. Our armies, expecting to meet weak resistance, charged headlong into the enemy fortress. Surprisingly, the Humans soldiers held our forces at bay. Then they unleashed warriors mounted upon beasts of muscle and sinew to devastate our troops. The Humans forced our troops to retreat back into the swamplands surrounding our outpost and the Portal where, only by the invoking the shrouding mists of shadow, were we able to escape. This decisive and humiliating defeat threw the Horde into chaos.
Note: 3 Grunts needed to kill 1 Knight

versus

Note: 2 Raiders or 1 Raider and 1 Grunt needed to kill 1 Knight

versus

It makes me happy in my retrolore place.

EDIT: I haven't decided if the "Ogre Magi" is the counterpart for the Archmage or the Dalaran Mage, but you know what? EVEN THOUGH the ogre-mage was originally a counterpart to the paladin and the mage was a counterpart to the death knight, ONE CAN CONSIDER that the most important Horde unit of WCII was the ogre-mage, and the most important Alliance unit of WCII was the mage. So there!

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 05-01-2015 at 08:47 AM..
Old 05-01-2015, 12:10 PM

World Builder

Huh ogre mage is a tad squishy

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-07-2015, 01:25 AM

Echo of the Past

In early WoW, how was the spirit of Uther standing at his tomb when we know his soul was trapped in Frostmourne?

Because it isn't really his spirit. It is his imprint of Eternal Devotion. His footprint.

Eternal Devotion: Upon dying, become an Invulnerable spirit for up to 10 seconds, and your Abilities and Attacks do 50% healing and damage.

Related to an "echo", but a holier version. When a devoted servant is killed in the midst of a great devout action, sometimes the Light shines through him/her so brightly at the point of death that it leaves an imprint of his/her essence. This "footprint" lingers in the mortal realm, acting in the same way the individual would if still alive, before eventually dispersing. The phenomenon was popularized by the epic poem Footprints in the Sand.

Footprints of Uther last only seconds in the Nexus, but his footprint in Lordaeron has not washed away for years... lasting even after his soul was released from Frostmourne and free to join the afterlife.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 PM

Echo of the Past

Some lore on Innkeeper Stonebrew. Apparently he's a deceptively powerful fellow... but that shouldn't surprise us, should it?

There's some kind of magic going on, with him and his ever-moving tavern.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/18987225

Quote:
There to greet them all is innkeeper Stonebrew, the dwarf with a twinkle in his eye and quick hands that can top off a mug and slide it into your grasp before you sit down. If you're looking for a game of Hearthstone, he'll find you an empty seat. If you want to learn how to play, he'll sit across from you and walk you through a friendly match. If you want to watch others compete, he'll lead you to a spot with a view. Whatever you need to warm your soul or soothe your worries, he'll provide.

Just don't cause any trouble.
Quote:
Cross that line… well, don't say you weren't warned. The innkeeper is stronger than he looks. You'd probably find yourself flying out of the front door before you landed a single blow, and if you were very, very lucky, you'd end up on a street in a city you recognized.

And this should go without saying: don't cheat. The innkeeper hates cheating. There are tales of poor souls who are doomed forever to draw nothing but Magma Ragers and Angry Chickens for the rest of their days. Play fair, and you won't need to learn firsthand whether those stories are true.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 05-12-2015 at 03:45 PM..
Old 05-13-2015, 10:00 AM

Elune

Love it.

It would be awesome if they added his inn to WoW, make it appear in a couple of capital cities where unused buildings stand now. On the outside it would seem to be the same building but on the inside it would be the legendary tavern. You would notice by the door being open on an otherwise useless building.
Possibly have it pop in at some random, out of the way places sometimes too (shady rest inn mysteriously standing again, go in find the legend ).

The ability to pop into HS directly from HS boards in WoW is another cool idea that's been floating around.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:21 PM

Echo of the Past

Realization: The Lost Vikings come from the same universe as the characters in Starcraft. They just started portal-hopping a very long time ago.

Theory: At some point in their time traveling trans-dimensional adventures, the Vikings encountered the Titans of Azeroth. They escaped with their lives, impressing the Titans... to the extent that the Titans remembered them when designing their own creations in Azeroth. Hence the similar appearances of the Vikings and the dwarves/gnomes/humans of that reality.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 05-17-2015 at 11:25 PM..
Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
An AU of our world. Just as there is an AU Earth for that battle-tank hero who fought in World War 3.

Maybe we're thinking about this all wrong. Maybe they come from an alternate Earth where all of these things happen concurrently. A Blizzard-esque Earth if you will, inspired by the very comic series' that inspired themselves in the beginning. An Earth where Blizzard-themed variations of these comic's events happen simultaneously (or at least in the same universe).

Perhaps it's an Earth where Tristram Labs develops the Kaijo monster by manipulating atoms. As the creatures were unleashed upon the Earth, another company (Frozen Throne a Technologies) manufactures the defense mecha Cyb'arak. The machines proved to be instrumental in defense of the African continent during the initial assault on the world's population. The event sparked what would be known as World War III.

While traveling through the Gladiatrix, Sonya had been exposed to a radioactive robo-virus of unknown origin. She had used these powers to tirelessly battle the Kaijo in the streets of New York City. One day, as she fights, a mysterious Nexus portal appears and she is sucked in. Eventually, she stumbles upon Arthur Light within the Nexus. He, himself, had once been a lumberjack from British Columbia before the Kaijo attack but together the two would hope to find a way home.

The Martian Gazlowe, however, stared down at the lush sapphire world below with jealous eyes. It was ripe for the picking in both resources and technological knowledge but first, he had to deal with Super Sonya. She had been the only thing that had stood in his way the previous time he had attempted to sieze control of the planet and without her in the equation he would likely succeed. He had ripped holes in the very fabric of space that appeared randomly throughout the Earth - the same ones that had sucked Sonya and Uther in.

The Kaijo could not be contained. Cities all over the world had been burned to cinders in their wake. Humanities only chance of survival falls upon a piece of untested technology, the Mecha Tassadar. The machine was guarded by the military by Sargent Hammer herself. Additionally, Frozen Throne Technologies had developed something known as Stormpunk armor that blended both machinery and the same mystical energies that Gazlowe had been able to tap into.

On some world's, technology and magic were not so different. Those who mastered both, like Lord Kael'thas, could create both wonders and terrors beyond imagining. Consequently, the holes in the fabric of reality that Gazlowe and Kael'thas had called upon had unintentionally continued to manifest and would eventually pull the whole Alternate Earth into the Nexus... Dun dun dun...

---

To be continued... Or maybe I'm over thinking this.

Or maybe Super Sonya is them teasing at the upcoming Overwatch since it's superhero a based fps? And Mad Martian sounds (and the skin looks) like its inspired by Mad Max.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:13 PM

World Builder

I don't think Mad Martian is "Mad Max" at all, Mad Max is dystopian apocalyptic

Mad Martian Gazlowe makes me think "War of the Worlds" Tripods and such.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I don't think Mad Martian is "Mad Max" at all, Mad Max is dystopian apocalyptic

Mad Martian Gazlowe makes me think "War of the Worlds" Tripods and such.
"When Mars attacked?"
Old 06-12-2015, 05:44 AM

Echo of the Past

Fancy clothes, angry face. Are you the little dwarf king, who hid in your city while we burned your kingdom? Honest question. Your kind all look the same to me.

Fancy clothes, angry face. Are you the skinny elf king, who hid in your city while we burned your kingdom? Honest question. Your kind all look the same to me.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 06-15-2015 at 04:56 PM..
Old 06-12-2015, 06:08 AM

World Builder

Ah Rend, such wasted potential.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Echo of the Past

Know what's funny? All along, you thought that we were the pawns.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:25 PM

World Builder

Is that what he really says?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-15-2015, 07:32 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Is that what he really says?
I wish. All of them are I wish.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:21 AM

Echo of the Past

Alliance Flag

Looks like I need to make room in my "Uther Lightbringer, Hero of Darrowmere" deck...

"I am Milan of the Elven House of Scribes. I have been given the supreme honor of inscribing these Annals in preparation for the impending invasion by the Orcish Horde. For the first time in our long history, the Great Alliance of Lordaeron has brought together Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and Gnomes under the same banner to remove our common enemy from the face of this world. At this time, I know not whether these Annals will describe our great victory or our miserable defeat, but it is my hope that our ancestors will read and learn from these pages, whatever the outcome. It is for this reason that I am concentrating on the military aspects of our endeavors--so that future leaders may study and expand on them in the event of our demise. The preservation of knowledge is of paramount importance, for the Horde comes to destroy all we have learned and all we love about these lands. I have sworn a great oath to the Alliance to protect these words with my life and to pass this knowledge on to all who would gain the smallest wisdom from it.

Tomorrow, I travel to Hillsbrad to record the maps, orders, and tactics of our most promising Human commander. May the gods favor us. . . ."

-Milan, The Annals of the Great Alliance

"As soon as Uther's craft landed, he raced for the Circle of Power and unleashed bolts of lightning on the Elven craft, utterly destroying them. With the forces of Nature on our side, the remaining Horde forces quickly abandoned their cause and retreated. Fate had smiled on us yet again, and the seed of hope had firmly taken root."

-Milan, The Annals of the Great Alliance, "The Battle at Darrowmere"

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-29-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Tags
blizzard, lore