Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Overwatch Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 10:15 PM

Elune

Default Are Omnic's People?

We all know Bastion isn't people but what about the rest of the omnics? There are obvious parallels to many civil rights movements and villain Widowmaker tried to assassinate a speaker who encouraged integration and she is suppose to be a bad guy. Are we suppose to be divided on how we feel about omnics in the Overwatch universe or are we suppose to collectively support their acceptance into society?

If we are suppose to cheer on their acceptance than Blizzard has seemed to malign the British, Torbjörn, and Russia who seem to be anti-omnic. Doomfist is supposedly trying to upset the peace in Numbani so he could be a villainous character. As far as a story is concerned it seems like accepting the omnics is the right thing to do but if this was real life there would be a lot more reservations. I wonder if Blizzard has or will try to make the people opposing the omnics seem more reasonable or empathetic that I am currently unaware of.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
We all know Bastion isn't people but what about the rest of the omnics? There are obvious parallels to many civil rights movements and villain Widowmaker tried to assassinate a speaker who encouraged integration and she is suppose to be a bad guy. Are we suppose to be divided on how we feel about omnics in the Overwatch universe or are we suppose to collectively support their acceptance into society?

If we are suppose to cheer on their acceptance than Blizzard has seemed to malign the British, Torbjörn, and Russia who seem to be anti-omnic. Doomfist is supposedly trying to upset the peace in Numbani so he could be a villainous character. As far as a story is concerned it seems like accepting the omnics is the right thing to do but if this was real life there would be a lot more reservations. I wonder if Blizzard has or will try to make the people opposing the omnics seem more reasonable or empathetic that I am currently unaware of.
Unfortunately, given Blizzard's previous history on such things, I doubt they'll do a very good job of showing why people might have legitimate reservations about the omnics.

I'm hoping that they'll keep a tighter rein on Overwatch's storyline (separating the game from the story was a good idea). If they do, we might get some actual nuance.

Given that omnics are sentient, they absolutely have the same rights as humans. Someone who's lost friends and family to them isn't likely to care about this. Hopefully Blizzard can strike a balance.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Unfortunately, given Blizzard's previous history on such things, I doubt they'll do a very good job of showing why people might have legitimate reservations about the omnics.

I'm hoping that they'll keep a tighter rein on Overwatch's storyline (separating the game from the story was a good idea). If they do, we might get some actual nuance.

Given that omnics are sentient, they absolutely have the same rights as humans. Someone who's lost friends and family to them isn't likely to care about this. Hopefully Blizzard can strike a balance.

Agreed, but one big factor in all this is going to be just how much of the Omnic Crisis was due to the God Programs literally puppetting the individual omnics.

We saw one poor omnic shoot themselves to avoid such control (or be controlled into shooting themselves?) in Pharah's comic.

Also, somewhat relevant given most characters have a prosthetic limb or eye or something...

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-21-2016, 12:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Agreed, but one big factor in all this is going to be just how much of the Omnic Crisis was due to the God Programs literally puppetting the individual omnics.

We saw one poor omnic shoot themselves to avoid such control (or be controlled into shooting themselves?) in Pharah's comic.

Also, somewhat relevant given most characters have a prosthetic limb or eye or something...
Heh

I guess the God Program thing is a get-out-of-jail free card. That's probably the simplest way to resolve the issue, though it makes for a very simplistic story as well.

Simple isn't bad though, and maybe that works better for Blizzard. There's a more interesting storyline to be told, however, if it can't be resolved so neatly.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 07-21-2016 at 12:15 AM..
Old 07-21-2016, 12:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Omnics are of course people, who can be good and bad.

Prejudice is understandable, given the whole Omnic War thing, but it's not something that should be acted upon like with the gang beating up the omnic in Soldier 76's short.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:45 AM

Loremaster

The question seems to lean toward them being people, but the implications and extent of it are heavily influenced by the generally sympathetic portrayals thus far. We don't really see any truly evil or vicious Omnics; even the antagonistic ones seem to either be potentially on "auto-pilot" or inexplicable in their hostility, both of which suggest they may not truly be in control of their own actions. Perhaps notably, those seem to generally be military- or industrial-grade machines rather than the more human-proportioned models that come across as physically designed to function as people.

That could change if we're ever introduced to any explicitly villainous Omnics, which is something that hasn't really appeared as yet. Even the Omnic Crisis is hazy in that regard. To date we still don't know if the Omniums' controlling programs were fully self-aware and pursuing a self-realized, malicious agenda when they went rogue, or if they just ran amok with no rationale behind their rampage. In either case there may have been some heretofore unrevealed human, Omnic or other agency secretly responsible for the whole thing.

So far we're just told that Overwatch "took out the force behind the uprising"; we're not told whether that meant actually tracking down and eliminating some unique human- or Omnic-born agency that instigated the whole thing, or if they simply "pulled the plug" on all of the Omnium factories' control AI's (like the God Programs) without ever successfully determining why they went rogue in the first place.

It's really a fairly huge mystery, and rather glaring that they've yet to even hint at why the huge war that shaped the world of Overwatch even started at all. Seems like that would be a pretty gigantic concern for Overwatch during the years between the end of the war and its own dissolution. Was it just the spontaneous birth of true AI in the Omniums' software erupting in a terrified rampage? Or perhaps a critical malfunction within these "God Programs" causing the Omniums to endlessly produce more robots and perceive humanity as an obstacle to following that imperative? Or did someone or something else see the Omnics as a convenient weapon to unleash chaos on the world and deliberately cause the machines to run amok?

Admittedly while the street gang beating the tar out of random Omnics is hardly showing a sympathetic side to the anti-integration crowd, I can easily imagine plenty of other humans fearing that however well-intentioned the Omnics themselves might be, if whatever caused the first Crisis happens again they might all be forced to renew their war against the humans and start killing indiscriminately whether they even want to or not.

After all, if some particular subset of humanity were discovered to have an inherent and literal "mass murder switch" that could be readily flipped by someone on purpose, it would certainly make everyone else pretty apprehensive about having them around.

It'd also be interesting to know if any of the currently existing Omnics actually have any recollection of fighting in the Omnic Crisis, or if their "living" memories only start sometime after their deactivation at its end.

Or for that matter, I wonder if the "human-shaped" Omnics seeking coexistence were even a thing at that time, or if that's a body design that surviving Omnics adopted after the war. Considering Omnics were built for heavy labor and peacekeeping, it's kind of confusing what purpose those like Zenyatta and Mondatta would have actually served back before the Omnic Crisis. Supposedly the Omniums were mass-producing heavy industrial and military mechs like Titans and Bastions, so where did the "kinda human-shaped but clearly not human" Omnics fit in?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:05 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

According to this video:

... which may or may not be accurate to the lore, Omnics were supposedly consumer grade, so humanoids like Zenyatta may have been intended to be for companionship and the like.

Also, Bastion is better than people. Bastion is a Disney princess, after all!

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:11 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning #edgy

People? Ha! Fleshbags are people. Cyborgs are people. But personality matrices and synthetic brains are just tools, replicable and expendable. Robots and humans will never be equals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:14 AM

Eternal

Don't be a robophob Anansi.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:31 AM

Hon hon hon

I consider the Omiums peoples... but then again, I woulde consider fully conscious robots in our world people too (I don't want a Quarian's fall IRL, you see ?). But overall, it seems to me that the Omniums were forced to go to war, since the factories which produced them had been shut down for years and suddenly reactivated. Something tell me a proto-Talon is at least partially responsible of the Omnic War.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:35 AM

Elune

Omnics are evil. Omnics delenda est.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:46 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Omnics are evil. Omnics delenda est.
Maybe Overwatch needs Cato the Elder equivalent?

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 07-21-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 AM

Elune

I would date an omnic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.