Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 09-04-2012, 11:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

This thread started way back in '07, before there was a fanfic board, and I only just brought it back from the dead. That said, it would probably be a good idea for a mod to move this to the fanfic board.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Elune

I updated the travelogue with an entry on WoW's most unappreciated and underutilized race, the worgen (well, the Gilneans really).

http://destron.blogspot.com/2012/09/gilneas-city.html

It may help to read the previous mini-chapter to get the context for the narrator's visit.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
I updated the travelogue with an entry on WoW's most unappreciated and underutilized race, the worgen (well, the Gilneans really).

http://destron.blogspot.com/2012/09/gilneas-city.html

It may help to read the previous mini-chapter to get the context for the narrator's visit.
I'll check it out and drop a comment.

I was going to comment on the first (new) chapter on the blog itself but I might as well do it here. It was pretty good, I think I caught a lore inconsistency or two but they didn't bother me and I can't recall them anyway.

What bothered me somewhat in the Kezan entry was the complex language used at times, I understand if you like to use eloquent words but it does take a toll on the non-native speakers like myself. And I think I have a strong command of the English language, and yet I had to check a few words in the dictionary, perhaps I could have gotten the gist of it from context but I guess I have reached a point where I want to understand what I read completely. Point being that most non-natives may be at a complete loss.
Though I don't recall having this issue in chapters after Kezan so you might have caught on to that already.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:18 PM

Elune

Ah, I apologize for that. I know I sometimes use language that's probably a bit too technical for a WoW fanfic (and go into things like the potential economics of Azeroth, which I suspect is of interest to no one except me).

Hopefully most of it isn't unnecessarily elaborate, but if it is, I'd be happy to provide clarification if asked. Sometimes the vocabulary is just me showing off, though other times I'm not sure how else to describe the situation.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Ah, I apologize for that. I know I sometimes use language that's probably a bit too technical for a WoW fanfic (and go into things like the potential economics of Azeroth, which I suspect is of interest to no one except me).

Hopefully most of it isn't unnecessarily elaborate, but if it is, I'd be happy to provide clarification if asked. Sometimes the vocabulary is just me showing off, though other times I'm not sure how else to describe the situation.
The economy is alright if you ask me, the main point of your fanfic as I see it is bringing WoW alive, filling in the gaps, making it feel like a real place. And what people do for living is a major thing since it does take up much of their time.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 PM

Eternal

Quote:
The economic observations are some of my favorite parts. It's one of the things that makes Azeroth come alive in a way that it doesn't in the games. The social hierarchy of the Gilneans, the rise of the goblin Cartels, later stuff involving the tol'vir (being vague so as not to spoil yet-to-be-posted content), etc. It's all part of the Travelogue-y goodness.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
The economic observations are some of my favorite parts. It's one of the things that makes Azeroth come alive in a way that it doesn't in the games. The social hierarchy of the Gilneans, the rise of the goblin Cartels, later stuff involving the tol'vir (being vague so as not to spoil yet-to-be-posted content), etc. It's all part of the Travelogue-y goodness.
This reminds me of an interesting question.

Will you give the completely new (high level) Cata zones advantage over the revamped vanilla zones or will it be the other way around? Mixed up?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Elune

Most of the brand new zones will have multiple entries, like the ones in Outland and Northrend. The revamped zones will be single-entry; some chapters will actually cover multiple revamped zones.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

What's up Destron! You asked me in the Breaking Bad thread if I was the same person from Albatros Bits. Yep, I'm still clinging on in the internet's deepest backwaters.

I'm curious to see whether Destron will end up venturing into the elemental planes. Almost certainly he'll go to Deepholm, but what about the Firelands.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Elune

Hey! Yeah, I figured that was you. Good to know some of the old crew is still around.

To answer your question, the narrator will be going to all of the elemental planes. This also means I'm going to have to somehow tag along in a raid to the Throne of Four Winds to get pictures... not really looking forward to that (I've already grabbed some screenshots from the Abyssal Maw, however).

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 09-19-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 AM

Elune

You could try and get everything you need from Vortex Pinnacle. Or the random floating spires up above Uldum.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM

Elune

The Skywall section (which is already written) takes place in and deals specifically with the Throne of the Four Winds and its/Al'akir's role in ruling the Skywall. I figure I'll just tag along on some raid and take snapshots once the mobs are dead (it takes place after Al'akir's death).
Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM

Elune

Ha! Wasn't expecting to have this feeling again.. waiting for the next chapter of Destron's travels to drop.

Also, I'm a little confused. Before you came back to the travelogue, I seem to recall an epilogue after the Icecrown chapters dealing with the Cataclysm happening where Destron briefly visits Kezan and Gilneas. Am I crazy or did that happen? Anyway, I'm assuming that in the current continuity, the Cataclysm hasn't yet occurred and those visits never happened.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:49 PM

Elune

You're remembering it correctly. I cut the epilogue in half, and am now using it mostly as a transition point. It did mention visits to Kezan and Gilneas, which are now being describe in-detail with their own chapters.

Speaking of which, the entry on Gilneas (the country, rather than just the city—I find the convention of city and country sharing the same name kind of annoying sometimes) will be uploaded on Sunday.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:41 AM

Elune

As promised, here is the entry for Gilneas (the country, not the city).

http://destron.blogspot.com/2012/09/gilneas.html

Though I wrote it in the chapter itself, I'll repeat it here: there may be some discrepancies regarding the sequence of in-game events. Hopefully these aren't a big problem, but please tell me if you have an issue with it.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 PM

Elune

Here's the latest chapter, in which the narrator sees further examples of Sylvanas' depravity, and frantically tries to get home.

http://destron.blogspot.com/2012/10/...ian-front.html

So was everyone satisfied by my earlier interpretations of Gilneas and the Gilneans?

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM

World Builder

Runes

Marvelous work as always.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Here's the latest chapter, in which the narrator sees further examples of Sylvanas' depravity, and frantically tries to get home.

So was everyone satisfied by my earlier interpretations of Gilneas and the Gilneans?
Yeh it's great.

Tbh the "problem" with talking about your work is that it is so good that there is little to criticize and therefore little reason to reply, beyond endlessly repeating prior praise or finding the small errors you make, like I did, which after a while makes me feel like a douchebag. : /

Also is it possible that you might at one point adopt a weekly update schedule? Two weeks waiting period is making me suffer withdrawal pangs
Old 10-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Elune

No real criticisms. Just want to say, I really like the way you're handling the Cataclysm. It's not like people in Azeroth are getting tweets and Cdev interviews to inform them what's happening on a global scale. For most Azerothians the Cataclysm must have been some local, seemingly isolated disasters, seeing weird lights over the Great Sea and lots of crazy rumors from people all over. Which reminds me, there was a group actively capitalizing on everyone's uncertainty and despair..

Are you going to touch on the elemental invasions or the emergence of the Twilight Cult pre-Cata at all? As I recall, the Twilights were out and about actively recruiting some time before Deathwing's emergence (During the rumblings and random quakes). I'm a little iffy on the timeline though and I didn't play the pre-Cata patch at all. You're stiff-haired Forsaken woman from Brill seemed like prime candidate for Twilight recruitment.

Last edited by Saranus; 10-18-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Yeh it's great.

Tbh the "problem" with talking about your work is that it is so good that there is little to criticize and therefore little reason to reply, beyond endlessly repeating prior praise or finding the small errors you make, like I did, which after a while makes me feel like a douchebag. : /

Also is it possible that you might at one point adopt a weekly update schedule? Two weeks waiting period is making me suffer withdrawal pangs
Thanks for the kind words

That said, I think there's a lot to criticize in the travelogue. By its very nature, it can't help being pretty formulaic. Narrator visits zone, talks about its history, chats with some natives, and maybe fights somebody.

There are a few that break with this trend, but I fear that, much like WoW itself, it's pretty easy to predict the general course of action. I am trying to mix things up in Cataclysm—the Kalimdor zones give the narrator an on-again, off-again traveling companion, while the Eastern Kingdoms tells more of a cohesive story. Even so, I'm not sure if these succeed in any meaningful way.

The prose is... adequate. While I do feel genuinely proud about some passages, overall it still falls short of truly good writing. There's also limited room for characterization beyond the narrator (much like the predictability, this is something of a built-in flaw). This is another thing I'm trying to address in the Cataclysm zones, but again, the nature of beast makes it difficult to really solve.

Additionally, the dialogue is often fairly perfunctory. I try to give characters different speaking styles, but this too often falls into the same "stock voice" trap you see in a lot of the factions in-game. I think I have gotten a bit better at this, but it's still far from great.

Finally, the travelogue is very much biased in favor of my own opinions and ideas. While I sometimes try to provide countervailing viewpoints, these probably aren't argued very well.

I'm honored that you'd like to see more frequent updates, but I'm going to maintain the schedule for now. Once all the Cataclysm work is actually finished I might speed it up a bit. Also, the next update will be on November 1, rather than at the end of this month. This is because I don't think the next chapter is a good thematic match for the Halloween holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
No real criticisms. Just want to say, I really like the way you're handling the Cataclysm. It's not like people in Azeroth are getting tweets and Cdev interviews to inform them what's happening on a global scale. For most Azerothians the Cataclysm must have been some local, seemingly isolated disasters, seeing weird lights over the Great Sea and lots of crazy rumors from people all over. Which reminds me, there was a group actively capitalizing on everyone's uncertainty and despair..

Are you going to touch on the elemental invasions or the emergence of the Twilight Cult pre-Cata at all? As I recall, the Twilights were out and about actively recruiting some time before Deathwing's emergence (During the rumblings and random quakes). I'm a little iffy on the timeline though and I didn't play the pre-Cata patch at all. You're stiff-haired Forsaken woman from Brill seemed like prime candidate for Twilight recruitment.
Thanks! I wanted to capture some sense of the confusion that people must be feeling.

I won't be going into too much detail regarding the pre-Cata Twilight's Hammer, though their activities will get a bit of discussion. As for Annette Williams the stiff-haired Forsaken, she probably would fit right into the cult. However, she's still working as the in-game flight master in Brill.

Though I guess she could be a really deep cover agent...

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 AM

Eternal

Quote:

Nice work.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM

Elune

I decided it was a bit silly to worry about this chapter not fitting Halloween, so I went ahead and posted.

http://destron.blogspot.com/2012/10/...mar-redux.html

This entry sets the scene for the Horde under Garrosh, and explores how people in Orgrimmar might be faring after the Cataclysm. It's a bit longer than usual, but circumstances warranted some extra length. You'll also get some idea as to why the narrator chooses to resume his travels.

I also decided to add more modern elements, and I'm curious as to how you all think I handled this. WoW itself barely seems medieval any longer, and adding some early 20th century accoutrements came across as a logical development for the travelogue.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:55 PM

Elune

Awesome. Did I read that correctly? Have poverty and the racial discrimination against the trolls led to the invention of hip-hop on the streets of Orgrimmar?

Last edited by Saranus; 11-03-2012 at 01:53 PM..
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM

Eternal

I honestly think they should just hire you to write the Warcraft Encyclopedia.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
I honestly think they should just hire you to write the Warcraft Encyclopedia.
Aww, thanks.

However, my interpretation of WoW is pretty idiosyncratic. It's gone increasingly against the lore (partly because I have no interest in reading the novels, though I'm sure some of them are quite fun to read), and tends to take a very different stance on a lot of issues.

Plus, you could say that the vague lore is one of WoW's strengths, since it allows people to come up with their own interpretations, like this one.

If Blizzard paid me to write the Encyclopedia though, I'd totally do it.

Tags
destron, fan fiction, fanon