Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: What will happen?
Something like SoO 2 15.38%
Mirrored raid(s) with Sylvanas and an Alliance char dying. 1 7.69%
Sylvanas will die in a scenario 2 15.38%
Sylvanas will escape to be a threat in the future 5 38.46%
Sylvanas will win and/or be redeemed 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icefrost View Post
Wait, what short story? Are we talking about Saurfang being let go by him in that cinematic? Or have a missed something big?
Not a short story, actually; it was Son of the Wolf, a comic about Anduin that was release during Legion. It ends with a flash-forward to Velen and an aged, grizzled Anduin on the bridge of a naaru dimension-ship, about to engage in what was, at the time, presumed to be some final climactic confrontation against the Burning Legion.

With the Burning Legion arguably defunct at this point with its leadership gone and the nature of demons making it likely to fall apart without Sargeras or the eredar hierarchy, one might presume it was meant to portray them against some other enemy, or perhaps that the whole thing was just a "what if" future that was used to make a point at the time and won't ever come up again.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Honestly this expansion's story seemed quite exciting from the onset, but it's just disheartening at this point; between this and Cataclysm/MoP it just feels like the Horde sinks into this slot which screams "filler bad guy between world-ending threats".

The story telling has just been so dry and mirrors the entire Garrosh arc way too much. Not to mention when the Alliance do anything vaguely questionable (e.g vulpera incineration - which has made it to live) it's just skimmed over.

All in all i'm pretty sick of Blizzard's inability to develop new stories to be honest.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 12-19-2018, 04:03 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

I think as soon as Horde players had a choice about whether they wanted to side with Saurfang or Sylvanas they revealed their hand: there will not be a Sylvanas raid this expansion.

Especially with all the stuff going down in 8.1. A lot of it is Sylvanas helping her allies, being diplomatic. Saurfang and Baine are pissed but they just had a whole quest chain about how Lor'themor remembers the noble hero Sylvanas once was.

I'm really not sure where they're going with any of this.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
I think as soon as Horde players had a choice about whether they wanted to side with Saurfang or Sylvanas they revealed their hand: there will not be a Sylvanas raid this expansion.

Especially with all the stuff going down in 8.1. A lot of it is Sylvanas helping her allies, being diplomatic. Saurfang and Baine are pissed but they just had a whole quest chain about how Lor'themor remembers the noble hero Sylvanas once was.

I'm really not sure where they're going with any of this.
Assuming they have a direction they're planning to go to. For all we know, they change story at a whim. Remember "honorable" portrayals of Garrosh back then.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Assuming they have a direction they're planning to go to. For all we know, they change story at a whim. Remember "honorable" portrayals of Garrosh back then.
Usually Garrosh's portrayal changed across expansions, not usually within the same expansion.

His introduction line in Mists of Pandaria is him going "ALLIANCE BLOOD IS SPILLED THIS PLEASES ME." and him bombing Theramore; so that really was setting up his downfall pretty hard. Whereas Cataclysm had you fighting alongside him all chummy in Twilight Highlands and they had that scene in Stonetalon and stuff.

So I imagine they pretty much know what they're doing for the conclusion. They've gotta build the art assets and stuff which takes a lot of time.

But I imagine this Sylvanas option was added at the last second. But ultimately it does mean whatever's happening to her does not rely on the player betraying her. It relies on her rangers getting killed and Saurfang escaping with twinky troll boy.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:34 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Usually Garrosh's portrayal changed across expansions, not usually within the same expansion.

His introduction line in Mists of Pandaria is him going "ALLIANCE BLOOD IS SPILLED THIS PLEASES ME." and him bombing Theramore; so that really was setting up his downfall pretty hard. Whereas Cataclysm had you fighting alongside him all chummy in Twilight Highlands and they had that scene in Stonetalon and stuff.

So I imagine they pretty much know what they're doing for the conclusion. They've gotta build the art assets and stuff which takes a lot of time.

But I imagine this Sylvanas option was added at the last second. But ultimately it does mean whatever's happening to her does not rely on the player betraying her. It relies on her rangers getting killed and Saurfang escaping with twinky troll boy.
The Sylvanas option is the original one. The Saurfang option was the one the devs didn't initially plan on doing.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:19 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
The Sylvanas option is the original one. The Saurfang option was the one the devs didn't initially plan on doing.

https://youtu.be/8nGnT6WZbeI?t=1434
Sorry am I at the wrong time stamp? All I heard him talk about was how he never intended for Saurfang to be a major character back in classic WoW.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:24 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Sorry am I at the wrong time stamp? All I heard him talk about was how he never intended for Saurfang to be a major character back in classic WoW.
No, the timestamp links to when he's talking about feedback and when people removed their shoulderpads to show support for Saurfang.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/nohonornopauldron

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20767476657

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/9/176...le-for-azeroth

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment...with_saurfang/
Old 12-20-2018, 10:18 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I am not saying you are wrong, but if you are right, it is odd that the Sylvanas option was added a couple PTR patches later and that it was preceded by outspoken support for her by some Horde players.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:50 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Given how sour people were over the original Horde infighting in Cataclysm, I genuinely don't know why Blizzard thought revisiting it was a good idea. And if, as you said Nazja, the Sylv route was implimented due to negative feedback. I genuinely believe we are/were in store for yet another deposed warchief.

I'm trying not to be cynical with Blizzard, I love Warcraft in all it's pulpyness. But even as far as roleplay is concerned... it's genuinely becoming a bit of a chore.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”