Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 05:25 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm not sure she intended to merge with him or not, but based on Velen's dialogue in a later quest it does look like in the cinematic he tells her no to whatever it is she tries to do and she dies because of it.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Mountain Giant

I just don't get why it had to be Illidan if they weren't going to follow through with it anyway. Why mention this Light and Shadow stuff at all? It's not like Illidan didn't already have the motive to take down the Legion.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:46 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlie View Post
I just don't get why it had to be Illidan if they weren't going to follow through with it anyway. Why mention this Light and Shadow stuff at all? It's not like Illidan didn't already have the motive to take down the Legion.
Either they changed their minds halfway through because people thought it was stupid, or it was to set up that the Naaru are looking for the Child of Light and Shadow. And that they aren't above manipulating events to try creating their Chosen One.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:58 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Either they changed their minds halfway through because people thought it was stupid, or it was to set up that the Naaru are looking for the Child of Light and Shadow. And that they aren't above manipulating events to try creating their Chosen One.
Or, maybe they got it wrong. What if the Child of Light and Shadow is someone else. Given what we see with Alleria, Arator
might fit the bill. Prophecies can be tricky.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Or, maybe they got it wrong. What if the Child of Light and Shadow is someone else. Given what we see with Alleria, Arator
might fit the bill. Prophecies can be tricky.
Sure, getting it wrong is implied here. The thing is, Xe'ra seems to have indeed tried to make Illidan into that Chosen One.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:10 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Sure, getting it wrong is implied here. The thing is, Xe'ra seems to have indeed tried to make Illidan into that Chosen One.
Hasn't she ever watched movies? Trying to force prophecies is a surefire way to screw them up.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:22 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Hasn't she ever watched movies? Trying to force prophecies is a surefire way to screw them up.
On the other hand, trying to avert prophecies is also a surefire way to make them happen, but that's not how it's panning out for Illidan.

Of course, Illidan'a always had a completely incorrect understanding of what the words "fate" and "destiny" actually mean. As in, the way he talks about both makes it clear that he literally thinks their definitions are the exact opposite of their actual definitions.

In fact hey, there's where Xe'ra screwed up. Illidan's not the Child of Light and Shadow. He's the Child of Shadow and Light. Bet she feels pretty silly now. We really shouldn't hold it against her though; that's an easy mistake to make.

Last edited by ARM3481; 07-23-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Old 07-23-2017, 11:49 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
On the other hand, trying to avert prophecies is also a surefire way to make them happen, but that's not how it's panning out for Illidan.

Of course, Illidan'a always had a completely incorrect understanding of what the words "fate" and "destiny" actually mean. As in, the way he talks about both makes it clear that he literally thinks their definitions are the exact opposite of their actual definitions.

In fact hey, there's where Xe'ra screwed up. Illidan's not the Child of Light and Shadow. He's the Child of Shadow and Light. Bet she feels pretty silly now. We really shouldn't hold it against her though; that's an easy mistake to make.
Well, she tried to force the prophecy, it did not happen.

My point is, Illidan will reach the "light" state foretold.

The whole " Child of Light and Shadow " ring like Kerrigan " Perfection of body and mind " asked by the Dying Xel'Naga to give her its power.

Except it was probably not Xe'ra who will be supposed to give its power to Illidan, but something more powerful.

All my radar are pointing towards Elune, who will be dying when we will see her ( like the SC2 Xel'naga ) injured by a void lord of whatever creature they will manage to create. She will infuse Illidan with her power and we'll go on a trip to Voidyland. ( ThE PeRfEcT ReDeMpTiOn )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Nothing, this is Scrolls of Lore, every conversation on here slowly distills down to Sylvanas, Lorderon or Worgen. I'm pretty sure that theres a mathematical truth to this.

Last edited by engal; 07-23-2017 at 11:53 PM..
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 AM

Ranger

Faction conflict is stupid, forced, and has robbed us of 3 expansions worth of development trying to clean up it's mess.

I would sooner Let the Legion win than let another contrived Pissing match take hold of the story again.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 AM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Jaggler#2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
Faction conflict is stupid, forced, and has robbed us of 3 expansions worth of development trying to clean up it's mess.

I would sooner Let the Legion win than let another contrived Pissing match take hold of the story again.
This is a good post.

Listen to Fenixhart and agree with him.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:03 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Interesting news from wow-petopia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzou
Also, one thing in the "Marsuul may not become tameable" category - in the story, you find out the Marsuul on Mac'Aree were Broken Draenei that were transformed into Marsuul by the void. (Along with some mutated broken and void beasts)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:28 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
Faction war is easy from a story concept point.

You need honorable victories, dishonorable victories, and honorable losses for both sides.
You need heroes, the status quo challengers, and villains on both sides.
You need a group to represent the heroic core of what the factions should be living up to (this means knowing what are the most important traits of the faction is), their idealistic and most agreeable form that people can root for.
And you need a group that represents a more aggressive, more war-hungry group, that challenges the viewpoints of the 'core' and says, 'this should be the new way forward' but that isn't evil but questionable.
However, you also should occasionally have those within a group within both factions who are certainly wrong and evil and even villainous, using the war for their own agenda or pushing absolute extremes or just plain detestable in their actions, and eventually it should conclude with those in this group seeking redemption or having their comeuppance.

It's why Wrath Horde was best Horde. You had this heroic core with guys like Thrall, Old Man Saurfang, and Dranosh representing what the Horde can and should be. You had challengers to those ideals with guys like Pre-Villain Garrosh and his lackies like Agmar. And then you got the more extremist ones like Korm Blackscar or Conqueror Krenna that go to far and get dealt with in one way or another. Thus, the Horde (specifically the orcs) had both heroic and non-heroic aspects to it.

Deicide also brings up good examples like 5.1 and 5.2, as well. It shows complex faction war situations quite well.
Wrath Horde was so good of a faction that could very well be used as a reason to accuse Blizzard of faction favoritism.

Wrath was also the only expac that really made me feel like playing an Orc. Shaman, at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
The first WoW faction war failed because it was basically "Horde wins EVERYTHING", and every time the Alliance tried to fight back more than feebly, they were shut the hell down morally or militarily, until the Horde Self destructed. In a way that, while so blantantly Horde Biased, still pissed off the Horde fans.

Looking at Illidan's story, and it's fantastic "Yes, your shit *does* taste like chocolate" favouritism, "No, YOU need to be redeemed" moral bullshittery, and their current inability to get the correct characters involved 90% of the time, It's pretty fucking clear that Blizzard haven't developed their writing anywhere near enough to pull off a faction war again. If anything, it's only gotten worse.
I disagree easily by looking at the writing of the Suramar campaign and Alleria's self-discovery journey with the Locus Walker.

I think Ethenil and ARM are also quite excellent in providing insight to Illidan's writing in Legion.

Last edited by Krainz; 07-24-2017 at 04:42 AM..
Old 07-24-2017, 05:37 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
I disagree easily by looking at the writing of the Suramar campaign and Alleria's self-discovery journey with the Locus Walker.

I think Ethenil and ARM are also quite excellent in providing insight to Illidan's writing in Legion.
Suramar is a side Story. Blizzard have always been good at writing those, it's the big expansion stories they struggle with. Hell, if not Illidan, look at WoD, it's the exact same thing: Fanboyism completely misaligned with reality "Hey, wouldn't MORE ORCS AT THEIR ORCIEST be #savage?", Very stupid morality showhorned in because reasons "Hey, I'm a good guy now, because I was only trying to murder you, and these guys are trying to murder both of us!". Also no Vol'jin, and "We'll spend ages trying to save Garona, just in case she will actually work for us, but save Cordana? Wot's dat?"

And I'm still not convinced Illidan's story was planned all along and wasn't a "Okay, we can't make him the true perfect saviour of Azeroth, people will lynch us", not after 7.2 couldn't even let Maiev talk about what happened to her and her watchers at the Tomb of Sargeras.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 07-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

stop baiting.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Eternal

Krainz praised me?

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

Anyway, you people worry too much.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:17 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Noone182 previewed Antorus:

It looks like it's going for an Emerald Nightmare style of disconnected areas linked via portals instead of a full map like ToS. Not sure how I feel about that, but it does look pretty stunning.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Noone182 previewed Antorus:

It looks like it's going for an Emerald Nightmare style of disconnected areas linked via portals instead of a full map like ToS. Not sure how I feel about that, but it does look pretty stunning.
Man... I really miss the sheer quality Hayven brought to exploration vids.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

So it looks like the final fight takes place in the Twisting Nether. Interesting.

I like Dragon Soul, and I like Emerald Nightmare, so I should like this raid, too.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Arch-Druid

I count like 6 potential boss platforms for encounters, so thats not the whole Raid, hard to tell from these layouts tbh. One of the bosses is also a literal portal keeper that handles several waygates. Raid's pretty amazing nonetheless, specially the scale.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:45 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Vaximillian#2212

Quote:

hearts hearts hearts
Old 07-24-2017, 11:58 PM

World Builder

Quote:

It could've and should've been done well so it could dovetail into later unification, but I agree, it's past-time to wrap up the conflict regardless.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
It could've and should've been done well so it could dovetail into later unification, but I agree, it's past-time to wrap up the conflict regardless.
It'll never wrap up.

It just can never, ever take the centre stage again. Any time it does it does so in the dumbest way possible because Blizzard doesn't know what nuance is.

This is the Dev team who gave us A Slap flght for no fucking reason in the middle of the Lick King's Citadel. And people want more?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I don't know if it was for no reason. The Alliance was angry at the Horde for what Sylvana did, and rightfully so, and the Horde was angry that Varian decided to storm the Undercity and wreck shit, especially since the Korkron Guard was there to make sure the Wrathgate incident wouldn't happen again. It makes sense that some from both sides would see red when the other faction showed up to the Citadel.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:30 PM

Eternal

Old 07-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Elune

All of the "voidelf" items Handclaw found had icons added in this build.
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion