Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: Orcish clans are awesome. Which ones?
Nation of Durotar 13 21.67%
Warsong Clan 17 28.33%
Frostwolf Clan 24 40.00%
Shattered Hand Clan 12 20.00%
Blackrock Clan 12 20.00%
Dragonmaw Clan 17 28.33%
Bleeding Hollow Clan 17 28.33%
Twilight's Hammer Clan 7 11.67%
Laughing Skull Clan 5 8.33%
Stormreaver Clan 14 23.33%
Black Tooth Grin Clan 6 10.00%
Burning Blade Clan 7 11.67%
Shadowmoon Clan 14 23.33%
Bonechewer Clan 1 1.67%
Thunderlord Clan 11 18.33%
Flowerpicker Clan 10 16.67%
Mok'Nathal Clan 10 16.67%
Lightning's Blade Clan 2 3.33%
First Generation Death Knights (orcs with skin conditions) 12 20.00%
Other 3 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotal View Post
Other in this poll would just mean another Orc Clan.
My "Others" are always all-inclusive, including "I don't want to vote on this poll but I want to see what people voted for without having to click on it when I revisit the thread."
Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
My "Others" are always all-inclusive, including "I don't want to vote on this poll but I want to see what people voted for without having to click on it when I revisit the thread."
I like the cut of your jib.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Frostwolf and Bleeding Hollow.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Orc Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzlag Thunderfist View Post
Bleeding Hollow, because of Kilrogg and his son Jorin, who was the real boss in charge of Garadar, leding the mag'hars as well as he could while Garrosh was just a whinny little bitch sobbing on his fate. Besides, the clan was the archetypal "warrior clan" of the Horde for a good part of the history, and they had to stay in Khaz Modan to fight the dwarves. Uzlag, my first character, is suposed to be a veteran of the clan.

The Dragonmaw because dragons are awesome.

The Thunderlords, I always loved raiders and the Scythgore Arm.
Pretty much this, although I'm also partial to the Stormreavers and the original Death Knights.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:25 PM

World Builder

Runes

What I'd still like ingame is for the Orcs to make the clans military divisions.

Warsong Clan: Warrior clan
Frostwolf Clan: Shaman clan
Shattered Hand Clan: Rogue clan
Blackrock Clan: Industry clan
Dragonmaw Clan: Air-combat clan
Bleeding Hollow Clan: Scouting (Mage?) clan
Laughing Skull Clan: "Politics" clan (less combat oriented than Shattered Hand but basically propaganda and spies)
Burning Blade Clan: Anti-Demon Clan Basically trains blademasters to be Orc-Demon Hunters
Shadowmoon Clan: Warlock clan, must always have two members from other clans for every member of this group in the field.
Bonechewer Clan: Domestic defense, sort of a 'farming' clan now. Handling animals.
Thunderlord Clan: Hunter Clan
Lightning's Blade Clan: Monk Clan?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 PM

The Sun King

Well, note that the Bleeding Hollow too were prof warriors (and also oil manufacturers!), and that Shadowmoon was for a long time explicitly led by the anti-Shadow Council faction under Ner'zhul. Stormreavers were the main warlock clan.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

The orcs should be divided by clans but not by their classes. That is to say, have more clans than just the Warsong and Dragonmaw being shown doing things. The clan melting pot is boring.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:35 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Well, note that the Bleeding Hollow too were prof warriors (and also oil manufacturers!), and that Shadowmoon was for a long time explicitly led by the anti-Shadow Council faction under Ner'zhul. Stormreavers were the main warlock clan.
Thing is I don't think the orcs would respect a "stormreaver" clan since it was made by Ner'zhul and I don't think they ever rejoined the Horde I think they became the Burning Blade and Searing blade and such forces.

Bleeding Hollow... how about they become a naval clan then?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
The orcs should be divided by clans but not by their classes. That is to say, have more clans than just the Warsong and Dragonmaw being shown doing things. The clan melting pot is boring.
It's not exclusivity it's specialization, kind of like how Kul'tiras has a navy but everyone knows they have warriors and mages too.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Orc Icon (War3)

Quote:
This. Very much this. Some nice reputation mechanics where you can gain favor with and be inducted into a clan could be cool.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Bleeding Hollow... how about they become a naval clan then?
The Stormreavers and arguably Blackrocks were the only clans shown to have a naval disposition back in the day. To have a modern naval clan... I don't know, who's been responsible for those sky ships the Horde has nowadays? Who is most responsible for controlling sea life as weapons, like the kraken? Is that a Warsong thing?

Quote:
Bleeding Hollow
I sort of envision the Bleeding Hollow as a "special forces" type group. Even in Beyond the Dark Portal, they were represented as having small numbers from the last war but also being experienced warriors. I imagine their numbers would be even smaller now, but that their reputation would still be intact.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
It's not exclusivity it's specialization, kind of like how Kul'tiras has a navy but everyone knows they have warriors and mages too.
Then I would not mind it. I thought you meant something along the lines of what happened to the Shattered Hand, which became nothing more than the Horde's SI:7.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
The Stormreavers and arguably Blackrocks were the only clans shown to have a naval disposition back in the day. To have a modern naval clan... I don't know, who's been responsible for those sky ships the Horde has nowadays? Who is most responsible for controlling sea life as weapons, like the kraken? Is that a Warsong thing?

I sort of envision the Bleeding Hollow as a "special forces" type group. Even in Beyond the Dark Portal, they were represented as having small numbers from the last war but also being experienced warriors. I imagine their numbers would be even smaller now, but that their reputation would still be intact.
1. True, though I still feel Blackrock fit better as an 'industrial' or tech heavy clan. Maybe it'd be easier to decide if we knew what Jorin was into.

2. Replacements for the Kor'kron?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Then I would not mind it. I thought you meant something along the lines of what happened to the Shattered Hand, which became nothing more than the Horde's SI:7.
I'd still like Blizzard to tell us how the flying flip that transformation happened. And whether they are indeed still a clan, and if that Gordul guy is supposed to be a chieftain.

It would be like if Blizzard told us that all of the human hunters were Alterac survivors, with no further explanation. Just a little random.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Thing is I don't think the orcs would respect a "stormreaver" clan since it was made by Ner'zhul and I don't think they ever rejoined the Horde I think they became the Burning Blade and Searing blade and such forces.
We know for sure that the Stormreavers went mercenary - some may have rejoined the Horde after seeing it with their own eyes.

How the Burning Blade clan ever got so much new followers and bases is another question entirely.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
How the Burning Blade clan ever got so much new followers and bases is another question entirely.
I always felt that Warcraft III's Blackrock&Roll orcs should've been referred to as Burning Blade survivors.

Nomadic, crazed even from the old lore days, no clear single chieftain, and then we have the contemporary lore of the Blademaster unit--the favored hero of these forces.

If you were to take me back to Warcraft II days and tell me: "Hey! Some of these orcs are worshipping daemons, killing people on altars as a sacrifice, communing with daemon masters through mystical gates, and drinking demon blood to become physically stronger but also more bloodlust crazed." Then I would be like: "Who? The Burning Blade Clan?"

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-07-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 AM

Elune

So I wonder which clan can be considered the strongest of all? Blackrock or the Warsong maybe?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
So I wonder which clan can be considered the strongest of all? Blackrock or the Warsong maybe?
Nation of Durotar, duh!

I'd peg it on the Warsong, really.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

The Bleeding Hollows are my favorites. The most unappreciated clan and probably a large part of the new horde. They should imo have a resurge under Jorin now that the Orcs are almost belly up after Garrosh. To become a distinguishable presence among the orcs.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
If we're talking about the second war period, I'd say the bleeding hollow. Massive numbers, control of the production facilities in Khaz Modan and capable chieftain.

Hell, considering which other clans could be part of the horde, the bleeding hollow are probably still the strongest. Warsong got their ass kicked in warcraft III, frostwolves have been stuck dealing with alterac valley, we can see for ourselves there aren't many blackrocks, black tooth grin or dragonmaw, and the other clans don't have the backstory that would justify them remaining a large part (the burning blade self-destructed, the twilight's hammer and stormreavers were slaughtered and the other clans still had their primary forces on draenor when it went kablooey)

Author of the Pink Engine.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 09-18-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I could even grow to like the orcs more if they returned to the clan systems, with the Bleeding hollow clan as the orcish reputation on a future expansion. Would be awesome to see new orcish models, perhaps with a tattoo instead of gourging out an eye.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:28 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
The Bleeding Hollows are my favorites. The most unappreciated clan and probably a large part of the new horde. They should imo have a resurge under Jorin now that the Orcs are almost belly up after Garrosh. To become a distinguishable presence among the orcs.
Kilrogg is my retro hero, right there beside Lothar. As a bonus, The Last Guardian and Beyond the Dark Portal novels both did him well.

He just needs a baby to cradle and a child's hand to hold, and he's all hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
If we're talking about the second war period, I'd say the bleeding hollow. Massive numbers, control of the production facilities in Khaz Modan and capable chieftain.
From my vantage, I'd still say the Blackrocks were the dominant force through most of that war, with the second slot tied between Black Tooth Grin (for size and forces) and Dragonmaw (for effectiveness of the dragons).

Not to take away from the Bleeding Hollow's prestige, but the main reason they survived in such large numbers was because they spent most of the war outside of Ironforge, out of range of Doomhammer's strategically suicidal decisions.

(Or in the pre-novel lore, because they didn't suffer casualties from the military reversals in the Northlands, Quel'thalas, and Lordaeron.)
Old 09-19-2013, 05:29 AM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Frostbane#1378

PvP Symbol - Horde

Casting a vote for Ner'zhul, Guldan, and Teron Gorefiend.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Elune

Orc Icon (War3)

The Warsong shall never fade.

RIP Grom.

(Bleeding Hollow 2nd fave)

Tags
flowerpicker clan, poll, rageroar clan, rep yo clan, rip grom, survey