Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest, most powerful and competent Warchief?
Blackhand the Destroyer 1 2.38%
Orgrim Doomhammer 6 14.29%
Ner'zhul, the Elder Shaman 3 7.14%
Thrall, son of Durotan 29 69.05%
Garrosh Hellscream 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Horde Flag The Greatest Warchief

Among the Warchiefs of the Horde... Which one do you consider objectively the greatest?

Blackhand the Destroyer, who united the orcs and turned them into a mighty war machine?

Orgrim Doomhammer, the conquerer of Stormwind?

Ner'zhul, the Elder Shaman, who tried to deliver the orcs from their harsh fate?

Thrall, son of Durotan, who broke off the internment, colonized new lands and rebuilt the Horde into a worldwide powerhouse?

Garrosh Hellscream, who, despite his later diplomatic incompetence, reinforced Horde cities and fortresses and brought in many new groups around the world to fight for the Horde?


Please, try to choose not your favourite Warchief (this might be a different poll with more options), but the one that you (objectively) consider (wait, now that's subjective...) the most competent ruler of all.

poll
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

I say Thrall.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Pixy Pixy is offline

Arch-Druid
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,134

Default

For the Horde, their best warchief was Garrosh cuz of the effects of his actions. The Horde will get through a cultural change, the result of Garrosh's genocidal campaign, and that's good because they'll go away from their warrior culture and focus on improving the lands they already have instead of waging war on the entire world.

He was good because he helped redefine what the Horde really is. Thrall only centralized the Horde's culture. Garrosh's reign, however, is going to change that, and the Horde will not be as orc-centric and warrior oriented as it was before.

So, I'm saying Garrosh did a great job, although it was mostly unintentional.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,448

Default

I hope you don't mind, but I added Rend and Kargath to the poll choices. If you want them gone I can remove them here.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,181

Default

Sorry, but I think it's a no-brainer.

Under Thrall, the Horde slaughters their enemies and invades new lands without any socio-political repercussions. Neighboring kingdoms escort Thrall's armies in so that the orcs can assassinate said kingdom's head of state, and then give a "thank you so much" as the orcs leave. The Horde can fight and wage war with multiple battles across a variety of continents with everyone treating it as a "cold war" and no attempts to tone down the bloodshed. Orcish slavemasters are able to capture and keep their chatel and gladiators without a second thought. The Undead are likewise free to commit atrocities, butcher and experiment on prisoners, and CORRUPT THE VERY LAND ITSELF, with the world's shamans, paladins, and lovers-of-living-things diplomatically unable to lift a finger.

Thrall is the best thing that ever happened to the Horde.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-10-2013 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:42 AM
belorealah belorealah is offline

Arch-Druid
belorealah's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,165
BattleTag: toffeeatoms#2825

Default Who would make the best Warchief or?

Who do you think would make the best Warchief, or should the horde make a government ect.

Personally I hope for a council.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,181

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I hope you don't mind, but I added Rend and Kargath to the poll choices. If you want them gone I can remove them here.
Rend is up there with Ner'zhul and Retro Doomhammer as my favorites, even if I don't think they are the "best".
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I hope you don't mind, but I added Rend and Kargath to the poll choices. If you want them gone I can remove them here.
I intended to add them, along with someone else, in the "My Favourite Warchief" poll, and focus on the mainstream Horde (seeing as it was the one that survived in the end) instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle
Sorry, but I think it's a no-brainer.

Under Thrall, the Horde slaughters their enemies and invades new lands without any socio-political repercussions. Neighboring kingdoms escort Thrall's armies in so that the orcs can assassinate said kingdom's head of state, and then give a "thank you so much" as the orcs leave. The Horde can fight and wage war with multiple battles across a variety of continents with everyone treating it as a "cold war" and no attempts to tone down the bloodshed. Orcish slavemasters are able to capture and keep their chatel and gladiators without a second thought. The Undead are likewise free to commit atrocities, butcher and experiment on prisoners, and CORRUPT THE VERY LAND ITSELF, with the world's shamans, paladins, and lovers-of-living-things diplomatically unable to lift a finger.

Thrall is the best thing that ever happened to the Horde.
__________________
I mostly agree, he was indeed the most effective, though Blackhand was the one who started the whole thing...

Do you people think the "Fave Warchief" poll should be multiple-choice or not?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,181

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
I intended to add them in the "My Favourite Warchief" poll, and focus on the mainstream Horde (seeing as it was the one that survived in the end) instead.
Kir, I would tell you to make sure you add Old Doomhammer to that other poll--the good Doomhammer. But I plan to vote for Ner'zhul anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Kir, I would tell you to make sure you add Old Doomhammer to that other poll--the good Doomhammer. But I plan to vote for Ner'zhul anyway.
First you have to clarify my question.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,448

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
I intended to add them, along with someone else, in the "My Favourite Warchief" poll, and focus on the mainstream Horde (seeing as it was the one that survived in the end) instead.
Oh I'm sorry, do you want me to remove them?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Oh I'm sorry, do you want me to remove them?
Preferably, before anybody voted for them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:07 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,181

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
First you have to clarify my question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Do you people think the "Fave Warchief" poll should be multiple-choice or not?
Indifferent. But if you do make multiple choice, that's when it will matter to me that there's a Warcraft II Doomhammer vs. a Modern Doomhammer.

(As for the others, I think Blackhand the Destroyer and Ner'zhul have actually grown/improved as characters in the modern versions, so it's not so big a deal...)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,261

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Do you people think the "Fave Warchief" poll should be multiple-choice or not?
Single choice all the way.

Also Thrall, he was the only balanced person from the ones listed there. He did his job well enough and were it not for the Garrosh fiasco he would probably still be cheered as the Horde's one true Warchief as Metzen thought he would when he announced his return among other early MoP news.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Orc Icon (War3)

If we do single-choice, then no Retro Doomhammer.

Do you guys also want a "Worst Warchief" thread?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,181

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
If we do single-choice, then no Retro Doomhammer.
Deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Do you guys also want a "Worst Warchief" thread?
Worst leader(s).

You've got 20 options to work with.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,448

Orc Icon (War3)

Can't we just work out a worst Warchief here? Personally I'm going for Blackhand. He was strong but gullible.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Worst leader(s).

You've got 20 options to work with.
Don't be so pushy!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

I'm sure most would vote for Garrosh as the worst. imo Blackhand is definitely the worst Warchief of all. He was just a puppet of Gul'dan.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM
Xilizhra Xilizhra is offline

Elune
Xilizhra's Avatar
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,971

Default

Blackhand didn't really control the Horde. Of the others, Thrall was the only one who didn't drive it off a cliff in some manner (his reasons for choosing Garrosh were sound, if not necessarily well-presented), and was the one primarily responsible for their return to world power status.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Strange how WC2's version of Blackhand implanted in people's heads instead of either the WC1 or the modern version.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,181

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Can't we just work out a worst Warchief here? Personally I'm going for Blackhand. He was strong but gullible.
At least Blackhand was strategically competent enough to win his war and set the Horde up with a strong foothold in the new world.


When Doomhammer took power, the Horde was a unified juggernaught whose warriors filled the entire visible landscape when viewed from the top of Stormwind Keep. In a matter of months or weeks (after conquering ZERO Alliance cities/towns and having no decisive victories over the Alliance), that force was reduced to a depressingly small number of orcs starting to grow more loyal to their family groups than to their clans or the Horde as a whole. This was before the Assault on Blackrock Spire.

If you don't factor in Gul'dan's betrayal, then yes Doomhammer was on the verge of destroying a major city that had no significant military force defending it (a position he'd only attained because of Perenolde's betrayal, which was much more damaging to the Alliance than Gul'dan's was to the Horde). But if Doomhammer had managed to sack Capital City, the armies of that city (and its allies) were all still surrounding Doomhammer's forces completely. And they probably would've been pissed. Without Gul'dan's betrayal, I'd wager that not a single orc would've left continental Lordaeron alive.

Modern Doomhammer was the worst possible warchief ever.


EDIT: In contrast, even after Garrosh is deposed, I bet the Horde will get to keep the territories it conquered under his regime.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,448

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Strange how WC2's version of Blackhand implanted in people's heads instead of either the WC1 or the modern version.
I think of him more as the book version. There was more stuff to go on in that.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Kir the Wizard Kir the Wizard is offline

The Sun King
Kir the Wizard's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Donetsk, Occupied Ukraine
Posts: 11,152

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
At least Blackhand was strategically competent enough to win his war and set the Horde up with a strong foothold in the new world.


When Doomhammer took power, the Horde was a unified juggernaught whose warriors filled the entire visible landscape when viewed from the top of Stormwind Keep. In a matter of months or weeks (after conquering ZERO Alliance cities/towns and having no decisive victories over the Alliance), that force was reduced to a depressingly small number of orcs starting to grow more loyal to their family groups than to their clans or the Horde as a whole. This was before the Assault on Blackrock Spire.

If you don't factor in Gul'dan's betrayal, then yes Doomhammer was on the verge of destroying a major city that had no significant military force defending it (a position he'd only attained because of Perenolde's betrayal, which was much more damaging to the Alliance than Gul'dan's was to the Horde). But if Doomhammer had managed to sack Capital City, the armies of that city (and its allies) were all still surrounding Doomhammer's forces completely. And they probably would've been pissed. Without Gul'dan's betrayal, I'd wager that not a single orc would've left continental Lordaeron alive.

Modern Doomhammer was the worst possible warchief ever.


EDIT: In contrast, even after Garrosh is deposed, I bet the Horde will get to keep the territories it conquered under his regime.
This, completely and utterly.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,181

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I think of him more as the book version. There was more stuff to go on in that.
Both Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Rise of the Horde presented Blackhand as a competent leader. In Rise of the Horde, Gul'dan does reflect on how easy Blackhand is to manipulate... but when we see Blackhand's perspective, we get a bigger glimpse into his character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of the Horde
"Go on," said Blackhand.

But Gul’dan did not, at least not right away. He was silent, gathering his thoughts. Blackhand grasped a stick and poked at the fire. He knew well that most of the orcs, even those of his own clan, thought him hotheaded and impetuous, but he knew the value of patience.
And that's the point in which you ask yourself: Did Gul'dan ever make something happen that Blackhand didn't want to happen?

This is the orc who conquered Stormwind Keep in five years, instead of destroying the Horde in a few weeks/months.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
go'el's gaol, horde, i don't eat pork, orcs, orks, poll, survey, warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.