Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How will the future of the human race be?
The future will be great! 4 13.79%
Future will be good. 5 17.24%
About as good as now. 13 44.83%
Worse than now. 3 10.34%
There is no future. 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 AM

Elune

Default The Future

Read first:

At this precarious moment in history, when it seems everything in the world is getting worse it is hard not to wonder about the future. Will it all just merrily go to hell or will we snap out of it and have our happily ever after as a species? This thread is both some of my musings on the future and an invitation for you to share your thoughts.

~~~~~

The year 2014 has brought a lot of global challenges, might as well start with the slowing of the economy. Could this be just a hiccup? Maybe, but it is lasting a long time. Otoh this could be one of the early symptoms of the inherent flaw in an infinite growth economy on a finite planet. While hopefully the global economy will pick up again this cannot go on forever and one of these downturns will be permanent. Hopefully not this one though.

But not everything is about the economy. Sectarian violence is quite high and getting worse. There are many open conflicts on the Earth today, fueled by conflicting interests of global and regional powers. While the devastation of the planet due to the economic system and the inevitable failure of said system are coming, they can be jump started by conflict and war. Especially potential war between nuclear powers of which there is an increased danger as of this year as well.

I am of course talking about the conflict in Ukraine which is just a symptom of the struggle between the US and those who would rival it. The US wants to remain on top and takes strong moves to ensure it, while other large countries seek to surpass it (mostly talking Russia and China atm, but there will be others in time) and so tension and conflict are inevitable. While these conflicts can bring devastation much quicker, we should not ignore sectarian conflicts because those destabilize large swaths of the world population (be it through terrorism or outright warfare) which makes large scale conflict more likely. This is all on the rise, or at the very least not going away any time soon.

To some this may seem like fearmongering but it is truly not what I am going for. It is just that in a very tense place, like the world is currently, even a small spark can create a big boom. Just like how when one looks back in time it seems, more often than not, that people were caught off-guard by war. That is because everyone thought it wouldn't come to that and when it did they were not ready for it, and even more importantly they weren't ready for the full extent of it and the resulting fallout (which will be global in today's inter-connected world).
The more tense the world gets due to its various problems, the smaller the snowball needed to start a truly terrible avalanche.

~~~~~

And according to expert analysts, 2015 will certainly be more of the same, only worse. So what do you think? Is this just the start of a very bad ride? Or is this just a rough patch and humanity will rise to ever greater heights?

Looking forward to your opinions and be sure to vote on the poll
Old 01-25-2015, 10:58 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

I think we'll see even more conflict the coming years. The last 2 decades were the moment when we could've secured a lasting peace but the west wasted it all away.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Elune

The United States just went through one of our slowest economic recoveries after a recession ever but we are doing better than many other nations. More technology will allow us to utilize our abundance of natural resources and I think we have the political will to reverse some of the bad policies that have caused median incomes to stagnate.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
The United States just went through one of our slowest economic recoveries after a recession ever but we are doing better than many other nations. More technology will allow us to utilize our abundance of natural resources and I think we have the political will to reverse some of the bad policies that have caused median incomes to stagnate.
Yeah, Europe sucks, Russia is in big trouble as well.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Yeah, Europe sucks, Russia is in big trouble as well.
Russia was doing very well until they invaded Ukraine and got hit with sanctions by the rest of the world. It is a real pity.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 AM

Banished

Quote:
Russia was doing very well until they invaded Ukraine and got hit with sanctions by the rest of the world. It is a real pity.
I won't say very well, they were still recovering from the fall of USSR. There were still many problem for them to solve, a lot of money and properties of their nation were still in the hand of the oligarchs.

As for Ukraine, it proved that they were no longer that strong but still wanted to show their power, so we saw what happened.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Elune

I only foresee a rise of the far right in Europe, and the Ukraine conflict going on as it is.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:01 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

There was a time when I would have said the future would be awful. There was a time when I would have said the future would be great. Now I am not sure what the future might hold, so I have decided to destroy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:07 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

federalised yurop

one nation

one army

one plug

I don't think the world is going to get any worse or any better, shitty things will always happen; nations will be greedy, minorities will be beaten down and radicals will most likely always exist. I just think that as I've gotten older I've become more aware of it.

I do think that technology and science will be something to keep an eye on, though. Especially Elon Musk's projects.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM

Eternal Watcher

Always keep an eye on Musk. He's my hero.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 01-25-2015, 12:39 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Right wing idiots will continue to scare the general Western population into ignoring the issues of our economical and political system, while the Left sells out to the corporate state and the war of personalities, and nothing will change, while our treatment of the environment and the rest of the world will come back to bite us in the ass in a major, major way before the century is over.

It's doubtful whether we will still have the same kind of life standard and luxury in even 30-40 years, by all serious academic prognosis and studies our system will implode within the next two decades, with severe social unrest and probably more wars to go along with it. The first victims are always science, reason and academia, and with them progress and stability. Right extremism will rise, from the ultranationalist to the religious camps, and it will spawn more violence and conflict than before.

Most people in the West haven't got a clue what kind of untenable bubble they live in currently.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Hon hon hon

Honestly, as things are going down, I don't think we will have that much of a future. The climate change won't be kept in check since neither the US nor China want to make the efforts necessary to do so. Meanwhile, war is already happening everywhere, racism and intolerance are on the rise in Europe and the neo-liberal dogma that Free Market is always good remain mostly unchallenged...

The future is dying and people don't care about it.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
Right wing idiots will continue to scare the general Western population into ignoring the issues of our economical and political system, while the Left sells out to the corporate state and the war of personalities, and nothing will change, while our treatment of the environment and the rest of the world will come back to bite us in the ass in a major, major way before the century is over.

It's doubtful whether we will still have the same kind of life standard and luxury in even 30-40 years, by all serious academic prognosis and studies our system will implode within the next two decades, with severe social unrest and probably more wars to go along with it. The first victims are always science, reason and academia, and with them progress and stability. Right extremism will rise, from the ultranationalist to the religious camps, and it will spawn more violence and conflict than before.

Most people in the West haven't got a clue what kind of untenable bubble they live in currently.
That is also something I thought about, oddly enough while having a bath. It was a long luxurious bath where I constantly added more hot water (to keep it hot) only to let it drain away into the overflow drain (the one near the top of the bath), will something simple like that become a luxury to future generations? It is just unlimited amount of hot water, hardly a luxury, yet it might be for someone in the future.

It is a bit hard to grasp because on the whole technology and the passage of time have vastly improved living standards. But as the number of people grows and resources are expended the advancement of science may not be enough to keep up and poverty may return. Doubly so because Economy has become a sort of new dogma and despite being somewhat fictitious/abstract people tend to think of it as a physical force and economical downturns are more harshly felt then they ought to because people believe in this idea so strongly and irrationally. The system is so deeply ingrained and indoctrinated from cradle to grave that it is hard to see past it and even consider a different solution. Despite the reality of rushing full speed into a brick wall.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post

federalised yurop

one nation

one army

one plug

I don't think the world is going to get any worse or any better, shitty things will always happen; nations will be greedy, minorities will be beaten down and radicals will most likely always exist. I just think that as I've gotten older I've become more aware of it.

I do think that technology and science will be something to keep an eye on, though. Especially Elon Musk's projects.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
Big image.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:08 PM

Eternal Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynrind View Post
I think I and a lot other people will set fire to all of europe before we let that happen. Freedom or death!

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:57 PM

Banished

Old 01-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
That is also something I thought about, oddly enough while having a bath. It was a long luxurious bath where I constantly added more hot water (to keep it hot) only to let it drain away into the overflow drain (the one near the top of the bath), will something simple like that become a luxury to future generations? It is just unlimited amount of hot water, hardly a luxury, yet it might be for someone in the future.

It is a bit hard to grasp because on the whole technology and the passage of time have vastly improved living standards. But as the number of people grows and resources are expended the advancement of science may not be enough to keep up and poverty may return. Doubly so because Economy has become a sort of new dogma and despite being somewhat fictitious/abstract people tend to think of it as a physical force and economical downturns are more harshly felt then they ought to because people believe in this idea so strongly and irrationally. The system is so deeply ingrained and indoctrinated from cradle to grave that it is hard to see past it and even consider a different solution. Despite the reality of rushing full speed into a brick wall.
Science doesn't even have anything to do with it. The overwhelming majority of our economic sector is not investing into sustainable production or lasting products, but quick and cheap profits,and it all goes on our environmental tab. Efficiency is not the name of the game , maximimized profitability is. All other considerations secondary, including environmental concerns as well as labourer concerns.

The idea that "the economy doing well is good for us" is a myth hammered into the minds of the labour caste to prevent any kind of educated and organized dissent and change.

There is only one possible outcome to the path we are on, and that is the ultimate downfall of civilization as we know it, the rise of autocratic regimes, and the destruction of our ecosystem.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Fuck everything, we'll rebuild on the colony ship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM

Elune

Apocalyptic theories have always been somewhat popular but always silly.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:13 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
People need to get their entertainment somewhere.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:16 PM

Elune

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
People need to get their entertainment somewhere.
I already live in a Fallout like land so...
Old 01-25-2015, 03:19 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I already live in a Fallout like land so...
We can just use the leftover bomb shelters we built from the last 10 times the world was supposed to end.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
We can just use the leftover bomb shelters we built from the last 10 times the world was supposed to end.
I feel like I am important enough to live in a bomb shelter.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
It's not the apocalypse. It's not the masochistic, antisocial concept of Judeochristian monotheism that is literally begging for the end of all human life and to receive death. It's simply the end of the Western civilization and way of life as we currently live it.

We are literally destroying our ecosystem, if you choose to ignore that, you're not on your own, most people do. That doesn't stop it from being true and happening, however.

It's already too late to stop the large scale effects of Global Warming that will take place over the next century or so, it's already large too late to prevent the damage that monoculture farming has been doing to our soils, or to repair the mass extinction of species and literal eradication of our fish species and pollution of our oceans.

Human society will suffer greatly due to our negligence and ignorance, unfortunately. At this point we can only try to do as much good as we can in our own spheres of influence, and hope for the changes to come to lead to something better.

Tags
abandon eurasia, depends where you live, discussion, mad ramblings, poll, speculation, the future