Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Did you like Rogue One?
Yes 23 82.14%
No 2 7.14%
Unsure/Mixed feelings 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-20-2016, 12:25 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Banished
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,027

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
They were being transported by the capital ship, weren't aware they were Rebels and tried to escape when the battle occurred.

Obviously it would've fooled nobody, but by that point it wasn't as if Vader would've gone "Oh, my mistake" after killing half the security detail anyway.
More like they were using the political situation of Leia, trying to baffle off Vader and didn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-20-2016, 12:35 PM
HackBenjamin HackBenjamin is offline

Priestess of the Moon
HackBenjamin's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Storm Peaks, Canada
Posts: 518

Default

For what it's worth, the Corellian Corvette is not an uncommon ship.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-21-2016, 01:15 PM
Drusus Drusus is offline

Elune
Drusus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Greymane's Offensive
Posts: 8,699

Default

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
you're the edgemaster 9000 with the leet memes who's close second to Gurzog in shitposting.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,333

Default

Aside from the CGI-faced actors, I quite enjoyed this movie. It felt refreshing to have a Star Wars film that wasn't all about the Jedi, the Force, and Dark side v. Light side for once, just an enjoyable space adventure with good action and characters.
__________________
My love for you is like a truck, berserker.
Would you like some making fuck, berserker?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-21-2016, 02:35 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

-You called me master.

-Yes, sit Lord Vader.

-Lord Vader now that we are building a second Death Star have I ever told you about the rebels who stole our plans and that their leader was the daughter of the one who designed it in the first place, but quit after a while only for us to force him to work again so the plot can happen, and he named the plans after his daughter who was rescued by Che Guevara who interrogated a traitorous Imperial pilot by having his brain raped by a CGI octopus monster only to lie down and die as the building crashed on him, so the woman could escape and lead the rebels to steal the plans only to broadcast them and die from a blast of the weapon built by her father in a final act of pottery. She was a good friend.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Drusus Drusus is offline

Elune
Drusus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Greymane's Offensive
Posts: 8,699

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
-You called me master.

-Yes, sit Lord Vader.

-Lord Vader now that we are building a second Death Star have I ever told you about the rebels who stole our plans and that their leader was the daughter of the one who designed it in the first place, but quit after a while only for us to force him to work again so the plot can happen, and he named the plans after his daughter who was rescued by Che Guevara who interrogated a traitorous Imperial pilot by having his brain raped by a CGI octopus monster only to lie down and die as the building crashed on him, so the woman could escape and lead the rebels to steal the plans only to broadcast them and die from a blast of the weapon built by her father in a final act of pottery. She was a good friend.
To be fair, Che Guevara needed a cane to walk. a pair of shitty metal legs and also a respirator. The guy wasn't running anywhere. When the scene was happening I did think it was a little silly that he didn't go with them and just stopped and stared, but when I thought on it then it made more sense. At best, he was going to slow them down. At worst, Jyn would die trying to get him to keep up.

At this point I realise I sound like a fanboy, but I actually liked the bittersweet nature of Jyn being killed by the laser her father designed. He spent years trying to protect her, but in the end she died stopping what he, in part, was responsible for. Let's be fair here, if Jyn survived we'd (including me) would be complaining about it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
you're the edgemaster 9000 with the leet memes who's close second to Gurzog in shitposting.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,571

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
A New Hope > The Empire Strikes Back > Rogue One > Return of the Jedi > Revenge of the Sith > The Phantom Menace > The Force Awakens > Attack of the Clones.
That a viewing order a ranking of quality?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-21-2016, 04:30 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
At this point I realise I sound like a fanboy, but I actually liked the bittersweet nature of Jyn being killed by the laser her father designed. He spent years trying to protect her, but in the end she died stopping what he, in part, was responsible for. Let's be fair here, if Jyn survived we'd (including me) would be complaining about it.
I'd be okay if she was Rey's mother and wasn't involved in the plan heist at all. I was more afraid she'd shoot Vader's chest buttons or something to humiliate him like in The Force Unleashed games. I'm disappointed at the lack of memes. TFA was rife with them. This one, nothing at all.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-21-2016, 04:59 PM
Drusus Drusus is offline

Elune
Drusus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Greymane's Offensive
Posts: 8,699

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
That a viewing order a ranking of quality?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater-than_sign
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
you're the edgemaster 9000 with the leet memes who's close second to Gurzog in shitposting.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,571

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Ah, ranking, thanks.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-21-2016, 06:22 PM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Banished
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,027

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
To be fair, Che Guevara needed a cane to walk. a pair of shitty metal legs and also a respirator. The guy wasn't running anywhere. When the scene was happening I did think it was a little silly that he didn't go with them and just stopped and stared, but when I thought on it then it made more sense. At best, he was going to slow them down. At worst, Jyn would die trying to get him to keep up.

At this point I realise I sound like a fanboy, but I actually liked the bittersweet nature of Jyn being killed by the laser her father designed. He spent years trying to protect her, but in the end she died stopping what he, in part, was responsible for. Let's be fair here, if Jyn survived we'd (including me) would be complaining about it.
WHY can't you people accept the main character's sacrifice? I mean I don't think "dark ending should be better" but her death was handled perfectly, just like Krennic died of the same irony. I like Felicity Jones and Jyn a lot(more than Leia or Padme or Rey) but I think this ending is perfect to start EP IV.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 PM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,527
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

The film could very well start at the destruction of Jedha.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-21-2016, 08:34 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Should I feel bad for liking this movie?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-21-2016, 11:52 PM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
This one, nothing at all.
I'm a bit surprised that "I rebell" didn't make it but it may be because it got cut But in general Rogue One doesn't have too many corny lines; if anything we might get a couple of nice K2-SO captions. "AGH! Help me, K2!" - "No."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Should I feel bad for liking this movie?
No.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-22-2016, 12:15 AM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Should I feel bad for liking this movie?
Never feel bad for liking any form of media. I think Rogue One is a terrible film and I don't understand why anyone enjoys it, but that's just my opinion of the film.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:25 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I don't understand why anyone enjoys it
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-22-2016, 04:04 AM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,592

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
WHY can't you people accept the main character's sacrifice? I mean I don't think "dark ending should be better" but her death was handled perfectly, just like Krennic died of the same irony. I like Felicity Jones and Jyn a lot(more than Leia or Padme or Rey) but I think this ending is perfect to start EP IV.
You realise that he's basically saying the same thing as you, right? Right??
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-22-2016, 04:13 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I'm a bit surprised that "I rebell" didn't make it but it may be because it got cut
Speaking of corny lines, most of the footage from that trailer was cut. And Jyn was more willing to work with the Rebellion unlike in the final version. Makes me wonder what the original cut was like and when is someone gonna leak all the details.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-22-2016, 04:33 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Speaking of corny lines, most of the footage from that trailer was cut. And Jyn was more willing to work with the Rebellion unlike in the final version. Makes me wonder what the original cut was like and when is someone gonna leak all the details.
Well, from what i've read the original script was a lot lighter with the main characters surviving because Edwards didn't think Disney would let him kill them all off. Then Disney themselfs asked if a downer ending wasn't better for the mood and the story so they rewrote it to the kill-em-all ending they would have wanted in the first place. That script might well have included some more hostilities between Jyn and the Alliance to make their survival a bit more meaningful, but we have no idea if that script made it into the original shooting or if they were being honest about sceduling the reshoots beforehand, as seems to be becomming the norm.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-22-2016, 05:31 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,559
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Far from awful, but pretty average.

The cameos were pretty bad. You either give them enough time, or don't include them at all. Vader and Tarkin deserved more screen time, or no screen time at all. The guy on white was far from a villain, he was just sad. Showing episode 4 right at the ending was forced and shitty, and Leia was totally out of place. If she was to appear there she should have gotten a bigger role in the rebellion. Why use a different squid almirant instead of the classic one, too? Being able to send the Death Star data through communications kinda kills the whole point, it should have been a physical disk impossible to transfer, with the weak points noted down elsewhere but useless without the complete data.

Lot of wasted potential. Do the planets even explode, or were those just small nukes? Why not take this opportunity to explain better the existence of the second Death Star? Why so many new soldiers if we don't even see them in action? Why is the guy on white always appear at the same time as the others?

Also, what's with all modern movies having this rushed pacing? It feels like everything happens in just a few hours, instead of days or months. There's barely any explanations, and it's constant running from one place to another, almost like a bad videogame.

Disappointing, but bearable to watch at least a first time. Coming from episode 7, it's an improvement, but then again, 7 was such a turd that comparisons with it are pretty sad.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 AM
Slowpokeking Slowpokeking is offline

Banished
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,027

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Far from awful, but pretty average.

The cameos were pretty bad. You either give them enough time, or don't include them at all. Vader and Tarkin deserved more screen time, or no screen time at all. The guy on white was far from a villain, he was just sad. Showing episode 4 right at the ending was forced and shitty, and Leia was totally out of place. If she was to appear there she should have gotten a bigger role in the rebellion. Why use a different squid almirant instead of the classic one, too? Being able to send the Death Star data through communications kinda kills the whole point, it should have been a physical disk impossible to transfer, with the weak points noted down elsewhere but useless without the complete data.

Lot of wasted potential. Do the planets even explode, or were those just small nukes? Why not take this opportunity to explain better the existence of the second Death Star? Why so many new soldiers if we don't even see them in action? Why is the guy on white always appear at the same time as the others?

Also, what's with all modern movies having this rushed pacing? It feels like everything happens in just a few hours, instead of days or months. There's barely any explanations, and it's constant running from one place to another, almost like a bad videogame.

Disappointing, but bearable to watch at least a first time. Coming from episode 7, it's an improvement, but then again, 7 was such a turd that comparisons with it are pretty sad.
Vader and Tarkin's scenes were perfect, especially Vader.

They used a different admiral because this one was going to DIE and couldn't survive to EP VI. Since Bail returned to Alderaan after Rogue One had started operation, I think Leia was just sent by her father to accomplish the team. She was in no place to command and they got to ensure her safety.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-22-2016, 11:48 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 2021
Posts: 4,508

Default

I hope this sets the tone for future anthology movies because it was my favorite war for the stars.

Question 1: Saw Guerrera said the mind raping tentacle beast he keeps in his basement can cause people to lose their minds. Bodhi pretty quickly got his mind back with no repercussions. What was the point of that? Was that just empty foreshadowing or did I completely miss something?

Question 2: Do you think Chirrut's final scene was intended to explain the reason why stormtroopers always miss their shots, as in it is the will of the force?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,571

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
I hope this sets the tone for future anthology movies because it was my favorite war for the stars.

Question 1: Saw Guerrera said the mind raping tentacle beast he keeps in his basement can cause people to lose their minds. Bodhi pretty quickly got his mind back with no repercussions. What was the point of that? Was that just empty foreshadowing or did I completely miss something?

Question 2: Do you think Chirrut's final scene was intended to explain the reason why stormtroopers always miss their shots, as in it is the will of the force?
1. If you're trying to see if someone is lying to you, you make your method of verifying what they're saying is true as terrifying as possible. If Bodhi was a spy, maybe he 'cracks' because he's afraid of losing his mind and fesses up. If he's legit, he recovers in a few days, no harm done... hopefully.

Or some people recover and some don't and Saw considered it an acceptable risk.

2. No, that was just kind of silly.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-23-2016, 12:06 AM
Commander Rotal Commander Rotal is offline

Sha of Disappointment
Commander Rotal's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,095

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Question 1: Saw Guerrera said the mind raping tentacle beast he keeps in his basement can cause people to lose their minds. Bodhi pretty quickly got his mind back with no repercussions. What was the point of that? Was that just empty foreshadowing or did I completely miss something?
I think getting mindraped by a monster will do that to you; maybe they have to do the interrogation in several sittings to prevent the suspect from dieing too early and he got lucky.

Quote:
Question 2: Do you think Chirrut's final scene was intended to explain the reason why stormtroopers always miss their shots, as in it is the will of the force?
A New Hope: they're pretty effective on the Tantive IV and they're under orders to let the rebells escape on the Death Star to track the Falcon; they're faking being bad shots.
Empire Strikes Back: Pretty effective on Hoth, Cloud City is a trap where they want Luke's friends alive to lure him in, they're faking being bad shots. Vader and Pappa Palpatine want Luke alive, after all.
Return of the Jedi: They're fighting naturally camoflaged small moving targets in addition to artificially camoflaged moving targets; getting rekt by Ewoks might be embarassing but what REALLY did the Empire's ground troops in was Han's little camera-ruse.
There's no denying that the original trilogy makes the Stormtroopers out to be a bit of a joke but the story as-presented has earned them a bad rep that is maybe a little too bad when judged objectively; half the time they're under orders to miss intentionally.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entertainment, star trek

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.