Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
No one does anymore, which to me is sad, as I personally find exercising my imagination to be quite enjoyable.
I find exercising my imagination in scenic, well-developed parkland very enjoyable.

I find exercising my imagination in a dilapidated gymnasium painted up to look like a park sickening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:26 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I find exercising my imagination in scenic, well-developed parkland very enjoyable.

I find exercising my imagination in a dilapidated gymnasium painted up to look like a park sickening.
Why would you exercise your imagination in a nice place? Id rather enjoy the nice place for what it is and use my imagination to spruce up the place that's lacking.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:34 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
I think he is the only protoss we have seen die close tho. The protoss units deaths were retconned into emergency escapes and Razsagal/Fenix deaths were in SC1 engine.
What about the protoss dying in the opening cinematic? That one with the banelings just does a burst of energy (his soul?) and his intact body falls over afterwards, which is the same way the units die (so is that an emergency escape?). If it is the emergency escape, why does Artanis say they're almost all going to die in that battle in the Legacy video thing?
Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Why would you exercise your imagination in a nice place? Id rather enjoy the nice place for what it is and use my imagination to spruce up the place that's lacking.
Because I don't feel insulted when I'm given a rich conceptual landscape to explore.

Why would you use your imagination to spruce up someone else's dump instead of creating a palace of your own design?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 AM

World Builder

Quote:
No one does anymore, which to me is sad, as I personally find exercising my imagination to be quite enjoyable.
Exercising imagination to come up with new and interesting things is great.

Exercising imagination to make the story of a game not a plothole ridden piece of shit, is tiring after a few goddamn YEARS.

I am -tired- of making excuses for Blizzard's shit writing under the assumption that we, the players, just weren't paying attention or just don't quite 'get it'.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-11-2015, 09:16 AM

Drunk Assassin

dear god calm down
Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Blizard are better writers than you.

and other gaming companies.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:31 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
What about the protoss dying in the opening cinematic? That one with the banelings just does a burst of energy (his soul?) and his intact body falls over afterwards, which is the same way the units die (so is that an emergency escape?). If it is the emergency escape, why does Artanis say they're almost all going to die in that battle in the Legacy video thing?
I have a faint memory of reading the "soul" leaving was basically some sort of emergency recall (soul recall? idr)
Old 11-11-2015, 10:58 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:
Pretty sure it's John De Lancie (Star Trek TNG Q).
Clearly his role as Discord is much more important. (I kid!, I kid!)
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 AM

Arch-Druid

My Life for Aiur.

Well I liked some of it, got bored with other parts.

The Good: Zeratul died for Aiur like a true Templar, Artanis seems like a naiev leader believing in moral relativism however he does suffer for it, I like Rohanna in her desperate bid to keep her nerve chords, Raszagal's daughter was forgettable, Velorak is a badass anti hero, the devastation the terrans suffered was guttwrenching, Talendar is a great bit of science fiction with him coming to the realization that he is not Fenix. Two of my favorite interactions was when Talendar lifted his fist at Velorak and when Rohana looked down on Karax. Protoss now have some badass anti heroes. The Prophecy being a lie made Zeratul's death even more tragic.

The Bad: caste system dismissed immediately. Ancient traditions immediately dismissed. No one is gunning for Kerrigan. Dark Templar are sort of just there. Karax being accepted as templar so quickly. Not enough interactions without Artanis. It was the Artanis story starring artanis. Kerrigan doesn't play a major role. Artanis seems to have forgotten broodwar.

The Ugly: Kerrigan should have become a hideous Xel naga not a phoenix rip off. It would have shown love transcends all. Epilogue covers little. Amon is by far the most non-threatening big bad ever. I was honestly bored. Amon's speech's were so generic.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:32 AM

Banished

epilogue is the hardest part.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:49 AM

Banished

Quote:
The Prophecy being a lie made Zeratul's death even more tragic.
what
Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
what
he believed in the prophecy given to him by tassadar, he had faith. And he died a fool.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:05 PM

Banished

How was it fake tho, i mean there was a fucking Zeratul mural and a fucking Kerrigan mural.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:23 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
How was it fake tho, i mean there was a fucking Zeratul mural and a fucking Kerrigan mural.
It was given to him by Ouros, not Tassadar. Ouros was lying. Ouros pretended to be tassadar to get zeratul to believe in a prophecy. Then pretended to be Tassadar to get Artanis to release him. It was all just a master plan by Ouros to get what he wanted. Zeratul was just his pawn
Old 11-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullroarer View Post
It was given to him by Ouros, not Tassadar. Ouros was lying. Ouros pretended to be tassadar to get zeratul to believe in a prophecy. Then pretended to be Tassadar to get Artanis to release him. It was all just a master plan by Ouros to get what he wanted. Zeratul was just his pawn
A means to an end. Zeratul dying (perma) was sad, the ouros part felt weird.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:20 PM

Banished

thats cool but doesnt make the prophecy a lie, just the appareance of the prophet
Old 11-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Blizard are better writers than you.
Fight me.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Clearly his role as Discord is much more important. (I kid!, I kid!)
Kid? They're the same fucking character!

Quote:
thats cool but doesnt make the prophecy a lie, just the appareance of the prophet
The Xel'naga can apparently design things at an atomic level. Meaning they could create a prophecy and all of it's breadcrumbs, and make it look like it was 2 billion years old. It's like being able to fake carbon dating or burying bones in a 70 million year old strata and claiming human beings walked with the dinosaurs. All the science used to determine the age of something becomes completely unreliable.

The Xel'naga could make a fake more real than the original.

Last edited by Westlee; 11-11-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Old 11-11-2015, 04:50 PM

Banished

That's the explanation I wanted. I actually prefer it that way, since a "recent" observer being smart enough to realize that "welp i cant do shit and K is the only one who can assimilate me" makes more sense than a prophecy.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:53 PM

Trade Baroness - Admin

By the way, how do the protoss gain nourishment?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Fight me.
I'll join your team.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:15 PM

Oh well. Some observations.

One thing I've always wondered about the Protoss is that if they're as a species unable to reproduce quickly, why don't they supplement their armies with more robots? Well, the campaign answered that with the Purifiers. Apparently their one major attempt to field combat effective drones resulted in a rebellion, which created a stigma.

They copied their most revered and presumably loyal Templar and used them as the basis for the programming for robots. This was likely to make them as combat effective and incorruptible as possible. Of course, rather than loyal soldiers doing soldier things as all Templar are, the robots rebelled for unknown reasons.

Cuz seriously, they were created to be cannon fodder and protect Protoss lives. Isn't that what a Templar is supposed to fucking be!? It's like if you created a Captain America robot that was pretty damn close to the original, and you expected him to do Captain America things, what sense does it make for him to rebel? That's what the Purifiers are. Templar robots that rebelled because they were told to do Templar things.

It makes no fucking sense and the only reason it's in there is to further beat the dead horse that is the Conclave, because that's the whole point to this campaign; shitting on the orthodox and conventional, and making the Protoss into humans.

At any rate, yeah, robot rebellion explains why the Protoss don't use more robots. It's actually pretty amazing that they use robots as much as they do considering what happened. I'm sure the writers would want you to think that "Hey, those Protoss are so stuck in their ways they'd never accept robots as people", but because the Protoss were ever so traditional they didn't go in the other direction and ban robots outright.

Here's another observation; all three of the races lost their governments and institutions throughout the various games. The Terrans lost the Confederacy nd Mengsk, the Zerg lost the Overmind, Cerebrates, and Kerringa, and the Protoss lost the Conclave, the Caste system, and the Khala.

Of those losses the worst were of course the Overmind and the Khala. Imo, the Overmind was the best leader the Zerg had. Kerrigan gets a lot of hype, but she's really just a vain glorious bitch. She's always tried so hard at selling herself as being evil it's a joke, while the Overmind is basically Kane from Command and Conquer. It was that good that no personality could really top it as the face for the Zerg as a faction.

The Khala on the other hand is what kept the Protoss from being generic space elves, and to the shame of the games, there's very little about the Khala that's actually portrayed in any of the games. The Protoss don't use it to empathize and understand one another without a word. They don't have any difficulty understanding and empathizing with anyone outside of the Khala. For all practical purposes, it doesn't exist in the games.

You might think that would mean it's loss would lack significance to the players, and you'd probably be right, but to me at least it was so much wasted potential.

P.S. If any Protoss in future games wants to restore the Khala, you can count on them being bad guys, despite the fact that Artanis is supposed to be open about the direction Protoss society is meant to go. The guy is a revolutionary and anything he sees as part of the past is to be criticized and held in contempt, which makes him a huge hypocrite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
By the way, how do the protoss gain nourishment?
Sunlight.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:16 PM

World Builder

Purifiers were upset about not being seen as people i thought?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 PM

Loremaster

Honestly it kind of makes sense to me that there would be an inherent personality conflict between uploading the minds of exceptional individuals who distinguished themselves as revered champions and heroes, then subjecting them to expectations and demands of uniform obedience.

It's like a built-in contradiction, practically forcing the copied personalities to act in ways contrary to the reasons you chose them in the first place. If they wanted mindless followers who'd never feel compelled to think for themselves or step out of line, they should have just used mathematical performance assessments as the standard rather than xeroxing the minds of champions who'd already been shown to have strong personalities making them prone to stand out from their peers.

Tags
heresy, starcraft