Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 11-11-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Purifiers were upset about not being seen as people i thought?
Consider that the personalities the Purifiers were copied from Protoss Templar that lived and served for centuries. They were driven by honor and duty to protect their people from all manner of threats while upholding their traditions and values.

With that in mind, does it really make sense of them to murder their fellow Templar all because they don't have their egos stroked? I've read stories like that before where a soldier(s) through some sort of misunderstanding ends up fighting his own country and people, completely disregarding the fact that he's become the sort of threat he was meant to defend against, all in the name...whatever.

You ever play League of Legends? There's a character who through his negligence and dereliction got his leader killed. He felt terrible about it. So much so that he killed every member of his clan who tried to bring him to justice. He felt terrible about that too.

You know Robocop? Murphy had most of his humanity taken away from him. Despite losing the life he had, despite losing everything and everyone he cared about, despite being treated more as property than as a man, he still held onto his principles, and upheld his duty.

Basically the Purifiers are whiny bitches that thought they were too good to follow orders that they would have followed anyway if they were regular Templar, and they murdered thousands to millions (?) of Protoss all because the boss wasn't very nice to them.

If they really didn't like how they were being treated, and if they weren't complete assholes, there's only one they could have done; gone on strike. No need to kill people. No need be a dick. Just refuse to do anything until your demands are met.

As is, the Purifiers are not victims and completely unsympathetic.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:44 PM

Arch-Druid

Down the line, some Protoss probably won't sever the nerve cords of their newborns. Khala V2.

On the topic of xeroxing memories into a vessel, Zoltun Kulle does that to continue himself, though he does note that not everyone sees that as a true resurrection.

Last edited by Malygos; 11-11-2015 at 08:47 PM..
Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malygos View Post
Down the line, some Protoss probably won't sever the nerve cords of their newborns. Khala V2.
They will be branded as heretics and sent into exile. Ritual mutilations and lobotomies or you're out of the family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
It's like a built-in contradiction, practically forcing the copied personalities to act in ways contrary to the reasons you chose them in the first place. If they wanted mindless followers who'd never feel compelled to think for themselves or step out of line, they should have just used mathematical performance assessments as the standard rather than xeroxing the minds of champions who'd already been shown to have strong personalities making them prone to stand out from their peers.
Except those personalities were all Templar who practically live to follow orders, and they were intended to fight beside and support conventional Templar warriors. Where exactly is the difference? Where is the conflict?

Last edited by Westlee; 11-11-2015 at 08:51 PM..
Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Westlee, quit being dumb. The purifier narrative makes sense. The story is nowhere close to perfect, but you are railing against issues that don't really exist.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Westlee, quit being dumb. The purifier narrative makes sense. The story is nowhere close to perfect, but you are railing against issues that don't really exist.
Would you kill your family if they treated you in a way you didn't like?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlee View Post
Would you kill your family if they treated you in a way you didn't like?
The purifiers didn't kill their families, for all we know all they did was property damage over literally being treated as slaves.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
The purifiers didn't kill their families, for all we know all they did was property damage over literally being treated as slaves.
We know for a fact that they killed all of the Templar stationed on their planet. They were placed into stasis with good reason. And being a slave does not excuse murder.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:55 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Holy fucking shit, are they honestly charging 104 dollars for the collectors edition this time? No physical goodies? No artbook? Not even a fucking mouse pad? The DVD and Soundtrack are barely features!

I mean I guess the "field book" which looks small is a thing... but seriously. Have they stuck their heads so far up their asses... Paid less for Starcraft 2 CE, got more, including a nifty USB Raynor Dogtag drive with Starcraft 1 and Broodwar on it. The lack of the Artbook is the real kicker for me, great awesome, I've got a Terran artbook and a Zerg artbook... but no god damned Protoss artbook. The field-book is half the size...

I get it, they don't want to sell physical games anymore, but still...

Pay more for less, this is the WoD of Collector's editions. So disappointed, I may as well just throw out the boxes on my shelf, no point paying an extra 30 bucks for an box to store shit in just to complete the collection. Seriously dirty Blizz. I suppose the true Legacy is the Void where something should actually be and the space in your wallet. It's bad enough they've taken such a ridiculous amount of time to release this expansion as it is. Heart of the Swarm was only 79.99 for the CE as was the first. Seeing as I can buy the Digital Deluxe for 59.99 and all the rewards are apparently digital anyway and actually kind of lame I guess, I'll just get the standard for 39.99. In a way by not spending 10 cents producing a mouse pad or 5 dollars on an Artbook they just saved me 64 dollars. They are seriously putting hefty monetary value on their minor digital cosmetic goods... Better shell out that cash for the fucking hearthstone card backing...

It's funny, I'm not getting the Physical CE for Legion either... it truely is the end of an era.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 11-11-2015 at 10:28 PM..
Old 11-11-2015, 09:57 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
We know for a fact that they killed all of the Templar stationed on their planet. They were placed into stasis with good reason.
True.

Quote:
And being a slave does not excuse murder.
Not quite true.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:00 AM

World Builder

Quote:
We know for a fact that they killed all of the Templar stationed on their planet. They were placed into stasis with good reason.

1. Yeah just got to that part now.

2. Disagree.

3. Why are you so hung up on the Purifiers when the Tal'darim being a secret society of sithprotoss is a complete retcon from their original origin?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-12-2015, 01:42 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Didn't even think about them being sith Protoss. The red psi blades should have given it away.

I think i was to busy going 'is that John de Lancie? Holy fuck it is. blizzard got someone good from outside their company? Man, this guy is a dick but automatically my favourite character.'
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 11-12-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
3. Why are you so hung up on the Purifiers when the Tal'darim being a secret society of sithprotoss is a complete retcon from their original origin?
The entire Purifier subplot is a bunch of Conclave bashing, and the Purifiers' themselves are pretty boring. The Tal'Darim were a generic group of cultists that existed solely for Raynor to kill Toss without being a bad guy.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:08 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Pretty sure it's John De Lancie (Star Trek TNG Q).
Ooooh yeah that's him. Enjoyed his character.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Eh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Holy fucking shit, are they honestly charging 104 dollars for the collectors edition this time? No physical goodies? No artbook? Not even a fucking mouse pad? The DVD and Soundtrack are barely features!
The Field Manual is as big as the art books. It's also like some lesser Book of Cain, so it's not bad.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:32 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
The Field Manual is as big as the art books. It's also like some lesser Book of Cain, so it's not bad.
It's literally half the size length wise. The art book aspect of it is only a couple pages at the back, plus apparently they are selling it outside the CE, meaning there's absolutely nothing of value there. Regardless, it's not an artbook in what should be a trilogy of artbooks.

I guess I should just be thankful that I can finally finish pay to finish the campaign from a game I bought almost 6 years ago.

Given the amount of dev time for an expansion that is putting in 6 units (some of which existed in the original release); I'm barely into this and theres just so many things that irk me. One, lack of voice over for cut scenes and missions. Two, the recap video quality was abysmal. What the fuck did they spend 3 years doing.

Edit: Wait, turns out there is VO it's default was just turned off... which is idiotic.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 11-12-2015 at 10:02 AM..
Old 11-12-2015, 10:29 AM

Revenant - Moderator

The retrieval of the Purifiers is just a big homage to Return of the Jedi.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
The retrieval of the Purifiers is just a big homage to Return of the Jedi.
Ewoks would be the last thing I'd compare them to.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:12 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Ewoks would be the last thing I'd compare them to.
Ewoks are an Easter egg. Artanis goes to the forest moon of Endion to deactivate a shield emitter that protects a giant roundish super-weapon that destroys planets.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:27 PM

Arch-Druid

Just finished the game and the epilogue.

I must say it was really satisfying to see Stukov killing Narud (he actually calls him Duran) for good.

Yes, Angel Kerrigan was quite cheezy, but at least they gave Raynor and her a Happy End. (Jim really deserved it.)
Old 11-12-2015, 03:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Yes, Angel Kerrigan was quite cheezy, but at least they gave Raynor and her a Happy End. (Jim really deserved it.)[/spoiler]
Tell that to the millions of innocents murdered by her throwing an edgy temper tantrum.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:19 PM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Loboan#2416

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Tell that to the millions of innocents murdered by her throwing an edgy temper tantrum.
Oh, but SmokeBlader, remember how Kerrigan stuck it to her critics in Heart of the Swarm. There is no moral high-ground! The Protoss killed billions of Zerg! Truly, they were the monsters all along!

And apparently the lives of Terran soldiers don't mean anything. You know, since you slaughter your way through them mercilessly and only when Warfield invokes Raynor's name does she feel bad - after she shoves a steel beam several inches long through his chest.

Yeah. I didn't like it either.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:25 PM

World Builder

As if nonsapient zerg lives are worth shit

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-12-2015, 06:28 PM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Loboan#2416

Agreed. I suspect whoever tried pulling that line doesn't know much about Zerg, huh?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last of the Thunderlords View Post
Oh, but SmokeBlader, remember how Kerrigan stuck it to her critics in Heart of the Swarm. There is no moral high-ground! The Protoss killed billions of Zerg! Truly, they were the monsters all along!

And apparently the lives of Terran soldiers don't mean anything. You know, since you slaughter your way through them mercilessly and only when Warfield invokes Raynor's name does she feel bad - after she shoves a steel beam several inches long through his chest.

Yeah. I didn't like it either.
Reminds me how people on the SF are talking about how evil the Gilneans were before the Forsaken invaded them.

Tags
heresy, starcraft