Bloc Québécois 0 0%
Green Party of Canada 1 3.45%
Sorry 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Trump can't do anything unilaterally, but as the very article you linked points out, Wisconsin could stand to gain from access to Canadian markets, so it makes sense to use that threat as a way to rally supporters. I imagine if/when NAFTA gets reopened for discussion and/or renegotiation, there will be an initial demand of "Stop your the supply management of your dairy industry.", which will be most likely be met with a counter-offer of "No, you stop subsidizing your dairy industry.".

But we already knew that was going to happen, since the federal government's been looking into what the United States and Mexico are likely to demand in the event of NAFTA talks, so Canada can try to get what it wants.
Is it really a bad thing if that happens? Canada is probably the best trade partner the US has so I wouldn't expect major changes. If Trump though can renegotiate trade deals and have it turn out beneficial I think that would be a good thing. I am willing to give him a chance on that even though I am a big international trade proponent. He could be right.

Agriculture subsidies are really bleh to me. Some Republicans like Ted Cruz have supported getting rid of them but since farmers are big Republican supporters it will be a tough political move. I do think it just distorts the market and mostly goes to well connected big agricultural companies. If Canada demands it it could serve as a catalyst in order to pass a bill that should have been passed regardless.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 AM

Eternal

Politics? In my General forum?! Abhorrent! Remove!

Tags
america, best british colony, british north america, cadia, canada belongs to britain, canada is ukraine, canadians are weird, cananda is usa, eh eh eh?, politics