Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
What's a discord?
It's a good quality voice and text chat app.

You can join and create servers for lots of things.

I have a Discord server that my friends and I use for playing games and posting memes. I'm also a part of a lot of Discords for different games and communities that I'm interested in.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:51 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
What's a discord?
It's like if you mash IRC and Skype together with a dash of Ventrillo.
Member #14
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
There are more than 36 users on Scrolls of Lore?
There are 36 users on Scrolls of Lore? I thought half the accounts here are alternate personas. Like Kakwakas and Galdus.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:53 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Panda Manual

Vast swathes of people are clamoring for a Song of Ice and Fire room, the demand is riotous!
Old 07-01-2017, 06:10 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Vast swathes of people are clamoring for a Song of Ice and Fire room, the demand is riotous!
Done. Also, ask Mutters for Mod powers.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:21 PM

Eternal

You guys have a discord?

Who was the idiot who decided that was a good idea?
Old 08-26-2017, 07:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
You guys have a discord?

Who was the idiot who decided that was a good idea?
It is like the forum equivalent of Twitter. Promotes more thoughtless feel good discussion.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:37 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
It is like the forum equivalent of Twitter. Promotes more thoughtless feel good discussion.
You're not there, so how would you know? Or is this an example of a thoughtless feel good post?
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
You're not there, so how would you know? Or is this an example of a thoughtless feel good post?
It is an instant messenger and less organized. In a forum format you typically spend more time on a post and form paragraphs. It gives more room to form a more constructive post and it is easier to find later since it is organized into threads.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:17 AM

World Builder

Quote:
It is an instant messenger and less organized. In a forum format you typically spend more time on a post and form paragraphs. It gives more room to form a more constructive post and it is easier to find later since it is organized into threads.
We don't really make paragraphs usually though. Either way this doesn't belong in the Rules/Regs thread

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Quote:
Yes, but an instant messenger makes it easy to have a more real time conversation instead of point by point back and forth over the course of hours or days which happens of the forum. Discord is more conversational, which is nice. It's also much more rapid than the forum, which can make it hard to keep up, so that's less nice.

There are pros and cons to both, but I enjoy having multiple outlets to express opinions and stuff.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:26 PM

Elune

I will repeat that I think Discord is helping along the decline of this forum. So much less activity since it launched though it is not the only reason, the forum drama made a lot of people leave or become less active too.

On the forum you have more thought out conversations and it is easy to jump back into the conversation even if you have been gone most of the day, and some times several days. On Discord it feels weird to bring up a topic that might have happened even 30 mins ago if there are a lot of replies since then and the topic has changed so often I just pop-in, see that the current topic is meh or that there are not many people online now and pop-out. Haven't even visited the SoL discord lately for that reason.

We should have a conversation about shutting down the SoL Discord.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:45 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
On Discord it feels weird to bring up a topic that might have happened even 30 mins ago
Why's that? Just @ the person who was talking at the time

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-26-2017, 11:46 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Shutting down a chat room because people aren't talking here is stupid. If people don't want to talk about lore here, that's their choice. If our most active threads here are still the political threads, that causes all this drama, then that's the real problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:02 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
We should have a conversation about shutting down the SoL Discord.
I strongly disagree.

What we can do, however, is remove the Warcraft-section of the Discord, and try and keep the chatroom more general-discussion aligned, and see if it changes the forum activity.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:14 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Neutral Building

I think the popularity of the Discord chats is less about the quality of discussion here and more about the simple improvement of technology. Communicating though an instant-messenger in real-time is simply a lot easier than trying to have a conversation with someone through a clunky forum interface; where the time-delay for responses would inevitably be greater. The vBulletin UI is a lot more awkward to use on a mobile-device than a simple application like Discord. So in some ways a web forum's interface is a horse compared to Discord's car. And I am sure if this actual Scrolls of Lore website had a built-in chat feature; many would use it instead of post. Though personally I still prefer the long-form method of communication - posts are usually more informative than instant messages and there's still some value in organizing subjects by thread.

I/We/Us would have absolutely no right to demand that the Discord rooms be deleted though. People can freely-elect to talk to anyone they want whenever they want to; and it would be foolhardy in thinking that blocking the IM group would somehow launch a new Renaissance of interesting-posts here.

Last edited by Shaman; 08-27-2017 at 12:19 AM..
Old 08-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I think it's better to keep the discord.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:06 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

The discord is more active than the forums and it is not impacting the forums activity it is just a thing. Dont shut it down unless you want to destroy most of the (60+%) of the interactions we have with each other.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Elune

C9, You say it's awkward to bring up old topics (don't really agree, but I can see why one might feel that), but on the forum it feels conversely awkward to bring up more minor subjects. We had some fun with individual portions of the mage questline yesterday, something which I don't think could have been done on the forum in a similar way.

Obviously, we need a Daily Discord Report, an end of day forum post summary about everything that was discussed in the warcraft section, so that the conversations from there can carry on into posts.

(note: no)
Old 09-24-2017, 03:42 PM

World Builder

Litmus test, would people be deeply opposed to changing the name of the discord?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-24-2017, 08:18 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Litmus test, would people be deeply opposed to changing the name of the discord?
I would be opposed. The Discord server AND the forums serve an important purpose, even if they do so in different ways.

Instead of discussing whether or not we should shut down the Discord (with the intent of revitalizing conversation on the forum, which seems uncharacteristically optimistic), we should be discussing how we can improve the forums. Indeed, if there's a method to integrate the two in some manner so that it doesn't feel like an either/or proposition, that's something we should at least explore.

This community, warts and all, serves a purpose in the grander scheme of the Warcraft community as a whole and the gaming community in general. We should be working to both preserve that purpose while keeping up with advances in how that role is performed.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Obviously, we need a Daily Discord Report, an end of day forum post summary about everything that was discussed in the warcraft section, so that the conversations from there can carry on into posts.
Please
Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Right now, the forum's version of vB doesn't support any Discord integration. I have no idea about other versions of forum software. So, yes, I'd recommend an EoD report (or midday, or multiple times a day) if that's what folks need to keep things together.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:30 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Since it was his idea, I vote Jeff to be out stenographer to read the daily/bidaily/tridaily minutes.
Member #14
Old 09-30-2017, 09:18 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Panda Manual

One of the advantages of the regular Scrolls of Lore boards over the Discord IM is the ability to write long-form posts. If I wanted to talk about some Warcraft lore-thing or write about some sources in the A Song of Ice and Fire thread, trying to write an in-depth post -that is proof-checked and formatted- just isn't easily done on a mobile device.

Otherwise instant-messaging is usually superior because of the dialectic element; whereas posting on a forum has a time-delay and is rather clunky compared to today's technology. Though there is still benefit to be said about grouping subjects by thread - because it allows you to gather more specific information about whatever is being discussed.

Tags
all land is scroll land, internet, scrolls of bore, scrolls of lore, we gonna bury you here