Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

View Poll Results: Which shall it be!
Option 1! 22 59.46%
Option 2! 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,042

Ore SoL Public Works, Project 4: Cosmogenesis

So there's two ways I see that this can go.

[1] We all come together in this thread, setting aside our mutual dysfunctions and antipathies at the door, and collectively craft a new, interesting and probably schizophrenic as fuck fictional and probably fantastical setting built upon our integrated individual perceptions of what makes a compelling world and story.

[2] Cosmictimelion and Genesis have sloppy makeouts.

You decide!

Here's a link to the Wiki.

Last edited by Anansi; 05-17-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

Default

What happens when people have wildly discrepant ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Cemotucu Cemotucu is offline

Elune
Cemotucu's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. M. of Tucumán, Argentina
Posts: 6,663
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Default

I like this idea!
__________________
FOR NYORLOTH, ALWAYS AND FOREVER!

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,042

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
What happens when people have wildly discrepant ideas?
Surely, that would never happen among the fine and enlightened people of Scrolls of Lore dot com slash forums!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Surely, that would never happen among the fine and enlightened people of Scrolls of Lore dot com slash forums!
That's not a solution!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Volkrin Volkrin is offline

The Digger
Volkrin's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 9,019

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
What happens when people have wildly discrepant ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Shroombie Shroombie is offline

Eternal
Shroombie's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,262

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Surely, that would never happen among the fine and enlightened people of Scrolls of Lore dot com slash forums!
Either the power of Democracy and Consensus, or we just find room for both ideas to fit.
__________________
...Place loses all significance...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,042

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
That's not a solution!
You're not a solution!

Or maybe we could calmly and rationally discuss the relative merits and weaknesses in one or another mutually exclusive ideas, recognizing in the process the intrinsic emotional attachment of each idea's creator to said idea and respecting their right to disagree with what ultimately would be the decision of the forum as a whole!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Cemotucu Cemotucu is offline

Elune
Cemotucu's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. M. of Tucumán, Argentina
Posts: 6,663
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
You're not a solution!

Or maybe we could calmly and rationally discuss the relative merits and weaknesses in one or another mutually exclusive ideas, recognizing in the process the intrinsic emotional attachment of each idea's creator to said idea and respecting their right to disagree with what ultimately would be the decision of the forum as a whole!
I think I'm capable of doing that, just as you ex-Archimedes.

I also think this creative process could be done using lots of polls on this thread in order to choose some concepts or ideas.
__________________
FOR NYORLOTH, ALWAYS AND FOREVER!

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)

Last edited by Cemotucu; 05-06-2013 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

Default

So ... how do we do this?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,275

Default

I'm in if there are leprechauns.
__________________
My love for you is like a truck, berserker.
Would you like some making fuck, berserker?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Shroombie Shroombie is offline

Eternal
Shroombie's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,262

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
So ... how do we do this?
First, I guess we start with the three basics. Setting, flavor, tech/magic.
__________________
...Place loses all significance...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,042

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
So ... how do we do this?
Got an idea? Post it here! If you have commentary on another person's idea, feel free to share, although it is appreciated if you keep any criticism at least halfway respectful because this is my goddamn thread you fucking assholes and I won't have you shitting on it. (<--Irony)

Shroombie's got the right idea. Let's start with the basics. I may edit a systematic overview of what we have so far into the original post at some point.

I'm going to use Omacron's comment about the two kinds of setting as a foundation. Who would like to work on characters or plot lines you've always wanted to see explored? And who would prefer to get to work planning out the rules, races and mythos overarching the setting? I feel we can get at least two discussions going at once in here, and almost certainly more once things take off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I'm in if there are leprechauns.
Leprechauns confirmed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xerrath
Posts: 11,081
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Default

My suggestion: We go the Kingdom Hearts / Magic the Gathering style.

The storyline is one of metaversal collision (yes, I just made that up. Hush.)

In our fictional universe, there are many different kinds of worlds. Some are magical, some are not. Some are technologic, others are stuck in the stone age. Some have intelligent life, some do not. Some are at the peak of civilizations, others are barely starting out and yet more are barren wastelands of marvelous technological or magical ruins, where stood once great civilazations gone without a trace.

For reasons unknown, the barriers between the various worlds and realities have begun to weaken. Wizards, scientists and alchemists across the many worlds begun to realize what mediums, shaman and psychics knew all along: there are other worlds out there - in places other than space, in dreams or in the realms of dietys and powerful beings.

It is believed that sorcery and technology from different worlds, seeking to learn more about this phenomena of weakening boundaries, or attempting to somehow exploit it, is what has finally led to a critical meltdown - the barriers are becoming undone, and the different realities are starting to bleed into each other.

Some desire for this to happen. Perhaps for conquest or perhaps for survival, or for pure curiosity. For others, it's disaster. Death and destruction on a massive scale.

If nothing is done soon, all realities and all worlds will be as one - for better and for worse.


This would allow each of us to:

(*) Design an entire world of our own, if we so wish.

(*) Design metaphysical laws that could apply to our worlds.

(*) Design how our worlds interact with other worlds.

(*) Design the consequences the undoing of the boundaries have on our worlds - as well as what our world does to the greater physical reality as the worlds move closer and closer to becoming one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,277

Default

Is Spelljammer kind of like that or not?
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,042

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
My suggestion: We go the Kingdom Hearts / Magic the Gathering style.

The storyline is one of metaversal collision (yes, I just made that up. Hush.)

In our fictional universe, there are many different kinds of worlds. Some are magical, some are not. Some are technologic, others are stuck in the stone age. Some have intelligent life, some do not. Some are at the peak of civilizations, others are barely starting out and yet more are barren wastelands of marvelous technological or magical ruins, where stood once great civilazations gone without a trace.

For reasons unknown, the barriers between the various worlds and realities have begun to weaken. Wizards, scientists and alchemists across the many worlds begun to realize what mediums, shaman and psychics knew all along: there are other worlds out there - in places other than space, in dreams or in the realms of dietys and powerful beings.

It is believed that sorcery and technology from different worlds, seeking to learn more about this phenomena of weakening boundaries, or attempting to somehow exploit it, is what has finally led to a critical meltdown - the barriers are becoming undone, and the different realities are starting to bleed into each other.

Some desire for this to happen. Perhaps for conquest or perhaps for survival, or for pure curiosity. For others, it's disaster. Death and destruction on a massive scale.

If nothing is done soon, all realities and all worlds will be as one - for better and for worse.


This would allow each of us to:

(*) Design an entire world of our own, if we so wish.

(*) Design metaphysical laws that could apply to our worlds.

(*) Design how our worlds interact with other worlds.

(*) Design the consequences the undoing of the boundaries have on our worlds - as well as what our world does to the greater physical reality as the worlds move closer and closer to becoming one.
While it might be a fun exercise by itself to each develop a world of our own and then simulate a collision between the lot, to take that route in this project, I feel, would defeat the collaborative purpose I had in mind for its conception.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,831

Default

@Magistrix: Everyone getting his own world, isn't that too ambitious for us beginners? I don't know how the rest feels about this, besides you, but I really think we should start with something smaller, that is just own world that gets developed by all of us, and then, maybe, add more worlds, in the way you described.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Magistrix Verdande Magistrix Verdande is offline

Elune
Magistrix Verdande's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xerrath
Posts: 11,081
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Default

The idea being not necessarily to design entire worlds, but rather to recognize that various civilazations and phenomena need not necessarily abide by the exact same laws or history.

However, it was only a spontaneous suggestion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Aneurysm Aneurysm is offline

Problemsolver
Aneurysm's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here, there, and everywhere.
Posts: 9,275

Default

I think if we are to make a collaborate world, the easiest thing would be to focus on the basics at first, such as the worlds geography, zoology, societies and their history. After that's established I think it would be easier to write short stories and novels in any given era of our setting.
__________________
My love for you is like a truck, berserker.
Would you like some making fuck, berserker?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Yaskaleh Yaskaleh is offline

Eternal Watcher
Yaskaleh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The heart of Scania
Posts: 18,625
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Default

I approve of this idea, though creating one singular world and then trying to fit everything into that will be hell. Much better to go with what Verdande suggested but without some kind of weakening barriers and such. The way wow does it seems better, with the Twisting nether allowing travels between world for those with the magical knowledge. Perhaps go with a linear approch, where some worlds are stringed together while others act as hubs for these strings with several worlds linked to them.
__________________

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Korath Korath is offline

Hon hon hon
Korath's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toulouse
Posts: 4,643

Default

I think that we should first write down the basic principles :

-Does the world have magic ? If yes, how widely known and powerful are the magic arts ?
-Does the world have advanced technology ? if yes, an advanced technology to what extent ?

Etc...

Then, the geography should be created : how many continents ? How many oceans and seas ? Etc...

But whatever is the choice, I have already a lot of material for a civilization of my own (going as far as a draft of language).
__________________
"Kanedaaa!"
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Erthad Erthad is offline

Elune
Erthad's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stromgarde
Posts: 9,553
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Why not do something different than just a plain old world?

Here's a random idea. What if the seas and oceans are magical and unstable. The seas connect the different continents, planes, worlds through portals and rifts and the like. So you can get the Sifi feeling of a large galaxy with countless planets to settle, but keep it in a medieval fantasy-esque setting?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 AM
CoDimus the Staunch CoDimus the Staunch is offline

Eternal
CoDimus the Staunch's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,573

Default

In my opinion, the world should be a combination of sci-fi and fantasy.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Cemotucu Cemotucu is offline

Elune
Cemotucu's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: St. M. of Tucumán, Argentina
Posts: 6,663
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Default

I believe that there should be magic. And also technology. Technomagic would also be great for the setting, even if there was only one race that was able to merge magic and tech.

I guess Anansi will take note of our ideas and will merge them...

Maybe we could have short time periods discussing certain topics and after a set end date, Anansi could merge the thins and establish what is set in stone (at least in the first phase, when discussing geography, general rules, etc.).
__________________
FOR NYORLOTH, ALWAYS AND FOREVER!

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Xarthat Xarthat is offline

Eternal
Xarthat's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Second World Shithole
Posts: 3,845
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
What happens when people have wildly discrepant ideas?
Our frustration and discord takes a form of a ball of tangled threads of existence, which soon forms into a Snarl.

A good question to ask ourselves: do we want to have "fantasy counterparts" of real world cultures, or largely blend widely unrelated elements?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
collaboration, creative, fun and games, human oppression, public works, worldbuilding

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.