Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 06-19-2012, 02:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Or is it?

And even if it is... why subject us to these horrific plot lines and ridiculous crossovers!? They don't work, come off as downright weird and it probably doesn't help that they don't translate all too well half the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasterian View Post
Or is it?

And even if it is... why subject us to these horrific plot lines and ridiculous crossovers!? They don't work, come off as downright weird and it probably doesn't help that they don't translate all too well half the time.
I asked before I post them.

If you don't like it, don't read it that's all.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I asked before I post them.

If you don't like it, don't read it that's all.
Why not post where someone might read it instead of throwing it into a group of people who don't give a shit and think your are wasting your/our time. Seriously Slow, just stop.

Here, try this one.

Just because they haven't made a "Slow cannot post fanfiction" rule does not mean you shouldn't get more than countless hints from pretty much everyone here.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Why not post where someone might read it instead of throwing it into a group of people who don't give a shit and think your are wasting your/our time. Seriously Slow, just stop.

Here, try this one.
I did post it elsewhere.

If you think it's wasting your time, don't go into the thread and read it, isn't it simple? Or are you saying that you cannot resist it?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
I did post it elsewhere.

If you think it's wasting your time, don't go into the thread and read it, isn't it simple? Or are you saying that you cannot resist it?
I just want you to stop embarrassing yourself and other members of the community. Is that so much to ask Slow...
Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
I just want you to stop embarrassing yourself and other members of the community. Is that so much to ask Slow...
Again, if you think it's bad, don't waste time on it. You won't feel embarrassing if you just walk away. Right now 12 of your 18 posts in the fanfic forum are in my threads.

Think these are garbage is your right, but post my works here is also my right.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:20 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Again, if you think it's bad, don't waste time on it. You won't feel embarrassing if you just walk away. Right now 12 of your 18 posts in the fanfic forum are in my threads.

Think these are garbage is your right, but post my works here is also my right.
By posting them here you give us the right to critique them. That's the point of posting a story, for someone else to read it and thereafter give their opinion.

Furthermore, you have to notice how up until now most people don't post in the fanfic section unless they're making a story or commenting positively on others. Yours are literally the only ones we feel are subpar, and it's because you refuse to learn how to write. Your english needs work, your plots are all insanely bad, and you keep fixating on shoving women into creepy situations. These are all symptoms of fanwanking your way through things, instead of actually sitting down and learning some basics. So stop while you've already screwed yourself enough and learn how before you just dive in.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
By posting them here you give us the right to critique them. That's the point of posting a story, for someone else to read it and thereafter give their opinion.

Furthermore, you have to notice how up until now most people don't post in the fanfic section unless they're making a story or commenting positively on others. Yours are literally the only ones we feel are subpar, and it's because you refuse to learn how to write. Your english needs work, your plots are all insanely bad, and you keep fixating on shoving women into creepy situations. These are all symptoms of fanwanking your way through things, instead of actually sitting down and learning some basics. So stop while you've already screwed yourself enough and learn how before you just dive in.
Sure, I never said "You have no right to judge it" right? I also have my right to explain for myself.

Why is the plot bad? Simply because of crossover? The TCW ones does not have any crossover at all.

Let's say, my TCW fanfic, which part of the plot make it bad and fanwanking? How is Satine's situation creepy? And for this one, why is Galadriel's situation creepy? A choice between her people and her own soul is creepy? I must let the female character stay safe the whole time, and NO romance allowed then the story won't be creepy?

Also from many other people's response, they all said the plot is pretty good.

Someone of this form also said.

Quote:
The various manipulations and power plays was sort of interesting.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 06-19-2012 at 04:29 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Sure, I never said "You have no right to judge it" right? I also have my right to explain for myself.

Why is the plot bad? Simply because of crossover? The TCW ones does not have any crossover at all.

Let's say, my TCW fanfic, which part of the plot make it bad and fanwanking? How is Satine's situation creepy? And for this one, why is Galadriel's situation creepy? A choice between her people and her own soul is creepy? I must let the female character stay safe the whole time, and romance allowed then the story won't be creepy?

Also from many other people's response, they all said the plot is pretty good.

Someone of this form also said.
Both our points are that you have a right to also not be a sad ass dense douche taco 3000, which you seem to ignore
Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 PM

Elune

Slow

Women are destined to be damsels in distress. A strong woman is a sign of bad writing.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Slow

Women are destined to be damsels in distress. A strong woman is a sign of bad writing.
You sir are worse than Hitler... you are Shitler.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Both our points are that you have a right to also not be a sad ass dense douche taco 3000, which you seem to ignore
If you think it's really bad, ignore it or say whatever. If you think improvement required welcome to advice. Like you have yours, post my fanfic here is my right and it does not hurt anybody unless people cannot control yourself from entering my thread when they hate it.

And I have the right to explain, like Cantus criticized me about I cannot handle around 100 characters. But very few(maybe none) of the fanfic here got around 100 characters and I believe very few individuals here can handle 100 characters well in a story.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
There's some shit band in Portland that throws it's posters all over one of the hip streets (which tend to have delicious food :3).

Anyway the name of the band is Gaydolf Shitler
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Slowpokeking

I'm not sure it shall be movie or novel based for LotR, the novel got explanation for most of the stuff, but many the characters got no fighting feats.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

I'm just going to post my reaction to this concept when I first read it.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
I'm just going to post my reaction to this concept when I first read it.

I know it's really difficult to control the plot since both sides already got war and conflicts going on, so gonna spend some time to do research and think about it.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:04 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
I know it's really difficult to control the plot since both sides already got war and conflicts going on, so gonna spend some time to do research and think about it.
Else where with you! Your time upon us is done!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
If you think it's really bad, ignore it or say whatever. If you think improvement required welcome to advice. Like you have yours, post my fanfic here is my right and it does not hurt anybody unless people cannot control yourself from entering my thread when they hate it.

And I have the right to explain, like Cantus criticized me about I cannot handle around 100 characters. But very few(maybe none) of the fanfic here got around 100 characters and I believe very few individuals here can handle 100 characters well in a story.
No one handles 100 characters. They kill people off when there are 100 characters because you literally can't produce anything useful plot wise when everyone needs their 15 minutes of fame. Tolkien's works are considered incredibly dense, to the point it turns many readers away from the series, but because he was a good writer you could actually manage it. You on the other hand can't handle 10 characters properly yet, much less 100.

Further, your treatment of women is staggeringly creepy because you throw them into situations that are staggeringly creepy. You basically force them to stand underneath the villain, which means you're putting them into subordinate roles that involve the villain dominating them until they (Lifetime channel style) lash out against them. You're not empowering them, you're making them reactionary animals. You literally don't have a clue what you're doing creating any characters, much less navigating the stereotype mill of women in fiction.

You were in over your head before, and now you're just drowning yourself. Step back and learn or all you'll ever produce is fanwank.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:10 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

I just don't like the idea of LotR vs SW, at all.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
No one handles 100 characters. They kill people off when there are 100 characters because you literally can't produce anything useful plot wise when everyone needs their 15 minutes of fame. Tolkien's works are considered incredibly dense, to the point it turns many readers away from the series, but because he was a good writer you could actually manage it. You on the other hand can't handle 10 characters properly yet, much less 100.

Further, your treatment of women is staggeringly creepy because you throw them into situations that are staggeringly creepy. You basically force them to stand underneath the villain, which means you're putting them into subordinate roles that involve the villain dominating them until they (Lifetime channel style) lash out against them. You're not empowering them, you're making them reactionary animals. You literally don't have a clue what you're doing creating any characters, much less navigating the stereotype mill of women in fiction.

You were in over your head before, and now you're just drowning yourself. Step back and learn or all you'll ever produce is fanwank.
Yes, so how many characters do I handle is not a way to judge is the story good or bad.

BTW I've seen some writers able to handle 300-400 characters, and it's one of the greatest literature works in the history.

Many stories I've read put the protagonist under the villain's manipulation or even control until they turn against them. It's not "the author force them to do so", I gave the logical reason. It's always easy to die, but hard to join the powerplay, pretend to be weak and fight back in the right time. It's fair to call that a strong character.

Yes I like to make character grey, let characters make choice between bad and worse, not just good and evil and make the villain smart. So villain's manipulation is always needed, and of course usually it's targeting the protagonist.

LotR is great, probably the greatest piece of fantasy because the quality of the writing and the great world/history Tolkien built. However it does have flaw, it's too "black and white", some of the characters are a bit stereotyped especially from modern reader's eyes. So it's fun to put some of the characters with potential into this kind of situation to make them struggle in the darkness. Also I like the portrayal of SW's villains a lot, powerful, manipulative but never stop betraying and backstabbing each other and thus almost always fail. That's why I got this idea.

And when did I put Satine under any villain? Simply accept Mother Talzin's "help" for once is stay underneath her? If you mean the protagonist should be more powerful than the villain from the beginning, then meh.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Yes, so how many characters do I handle is not a way to judge is the story good or bad.

BTW I've seen some writers able to handle 300-400 characters, and it's one of the greatest literature works in the history.

Many stories I've read put the protagonist under the villain's manipulation or even control until they turn against them. It's not "the author force them to do so", I gave the logical reason. It's always easy to die, but hard to join the powerplay, pretend to be weak and fight back in the right time. It's fair to call that a strong character.

Yes I like to make character grey, let characters make choice between bad and worse, not just good and evil and make the villain smart. So villain's manipulation is always needed, and of course usually it's targeting the protagonist.

LotR is great, probably the greatest piece of fantasy because the quality of the writing and the great world/history Tolkien built. However it does have flaw, it's too "black and white", some of the characters are a bit stereotyped especially from modern reader's eyes. So it's fun to put some of the characters with potential into this kind of situation to make them struggle in the darkness. Also I like the portrayal of SW's villains a lot, powerful, manipulative but never stop betraying and backstabbing each other and thus almost always fail. That's why I got this idea.

And when did I put Satine under any villain? Simply accept Mother Talzin's "help" for once is stay underneath her? If you mean the protagonist should be more powerful than the villain from the beginning, then meh.
I want you to do something for me. Go to your local library and pick up a book by Steinbeck. Any of his works will do, but I'd go for the most well known (they're classics for a reason).

Read through that, get the idea of the cast, how the plot forms and dissolves, etc. Read that one book multiple times. Then start contrasting your work with Steinbeck. It's insane to compare yourself to him, because he's working in a native language as a master of the craft and you're well...you, but do it anyway. Once you're absolutely familiar with the book and it's ins and outs, write up a paper about it, specifically critiquing your work against his. I want you to be as critical of yourself as possible, because the key here is to learn where and why you're writing is screwing up.

Once you've done that, and honestly know where your faults lay, then go back and start writing simple stories. Small works, short stories 20-30 pages tops. I want you to write at least 10 of them, and put them up for critique where people can show you where you're going wrong. Then, once you have a handle on the simple stuff, then you can graduate to a larger cast (still less than 100). Going over that 100 mark is not something you should be diving into because you're just not ready for it. Build up, then take the plunge.

I ask this because it's clear that you're getting way too much stupid encouragement from people who have literally no idea what they're talking about. They want to make you feel like a special snowflake. The problem is you're not, none of us are, which means you need to step up your game to make yourself good. Just accepting praise isn't good enough, you need to challenge yourself to do better. Quality over quantity.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:51 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
I want you to do something for me. Go to your local library and pick up a book by Steinbeck. Any of his works will do, but I'd go for the most well known (they're classics for a reason).

Read through that, get the idea of the cast, how the plot forms and dissolves, etc. Read that one book multiple times. Then start contrasting your work with Steinbeck. It's insane to compare yourself to him, because he's working in a native language as a master of the craft and you're well...you, but do it anyway. Once you're absolutely familiar with the book and it's ins and outs, write up a paper about it, specifically critiquing your work against his. I want you to be as critical of yourself as possible, because the key here is to learn where and why you're writing is screwing up.

Once you've done that, and honestly know where your faults lay, then go back and start writing simple stories. Small works, short stories 20-30 pages tops. I want you to write at least 10 of them, and put them up for critique where people can show you where you're going wrong. Then, once you have a handle on the simple stuff, then you can graduate to a larger cast (still less than 100). Going over that 100 mark is not something you should be diving into because you're just not ready for it. Build up, then take the plunge.

I ask this because it's clear that you're getting way too much stupid encouragement from people who have literally no idea what they're talking about. They want to make you feel like a special snowflake. The problem is you're not, none of us are, which means you need to step up your game to make yourself good. Just accepting praise isn't good enough, you need to challenge yourself to do better. Quality over quantity.
That's a lot of work. If you decide to do it, go with The Pearl. It's short.

(Plus my wife still has boredom-nightmares from having to read The Grapes of Wrath. A part of her dies whenever that book is mentioned. Though she loved Of Mice and Men.)
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
That's a lot of work. If you decide to do it, go with The Pearl. It's short.

(Plus my wife still has boredom-nightmares from having to read The Grapes of Wrath. A part of her dies whenever that book is mentioned. Though she loved Of Mice and Men.)
If he wants to be a writer, he needs to do the work. If he's going to do it here, he's going to learn the SoL way. Ain't no one gets to be bitchmade the SoL way.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:

So you stop talk with my works flaw and good points?

I've not read Steinbeck's work, but Margaret Mitchell, Dickens, Goethe, Cervantes, Victor Hugo, Jane Austen and a few more famous writers'.
I don't think any of them is not comparable to Steinbeck.

Sure it's not even close to Stienbeck's work, but so does all the people here and not everyone has to follow his style. Also I don't have to control 100 characters in a story and can't do it unless I'm really good, enough to sell books.

I'm sorry but you have no right to judge how intelligent other people are, especially when you never interact with them. I like to improve and I'm trying, but you simply said I'm no good at everything, which many people got different ideas.