Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 06-20-2012, 02:20 PM

Site Staff - Admin

This all feels so awkward.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
If he wants to be a writer, he needs to do the work. If he's going to do it here, he's going to learn the SoL way. Ain't no one gets to be bitchmade the SoL way.
See, one of the problems that Slowking has is that perhaps he's writing his fanfic in Chinese and THEN translate it into English. I know from experience that works of literature always make more sense when read in the language that they were originally written in, and that they tend to lose their deeper, hidden meanings when translated into other languages. That's why I always read LotR in English and Don Quixote in Spanish.

Slow, if you're going to post good fanfic, or anything involving writing as a matter of fact, it's crucial that you have a mastery over the language that you're writing in. That's what being a writer is all about, writers use their powerful command of language to evoke images and emotions to their readers. Certain words and metaphors have hidden meanings which are left for the reader to interpret on their own. I don't go around and write essays in French because, to the eyes of a native French speaker, my writing would be nothing more than the work of a 7-year-old.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Needs more jimmies.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I'm sorry but you have no right to judge how intelligent other people are, especially when you never interact with them. I like to improve and I'm trying, but you simply said I'm no good at everything, which many people got different ideas.
I actually didn't want to involve myself in this anymore, but I have to say one thing:

it isn't about intelligence, but the ability to criticize. There are a lot of people who just say "Oh, that looks nice!" or "Oh, sounds interesting" who either ignore the problems because they don't want to hurt, or simply are unable to see them because they have no experience.

The work of mediocre artist may seem great to them, but a more experienced artist will see it as a mediocre work. And it doesn't matter if we talk about writing or drawing. Yet, it's the critism of those with more experience you need to seek! For only they can tell you how to imrpove.

I seek myself the feedback of others so I can actually get better. But oh look behold, one of my worst pictures, a wow modelviewer compilation got all attention, while real drawings for which I worked hard get no attention at all. ((side info: it has 106173 viewers))

Well... Just my 5 cents.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
See, one of the problems that Slowking has is that perhaps he's writing his fanfic in Chinese and THEN translate it into English. I know from experience that works of literature always make more sense when read in the language that they were originally written in, and that they tend to lose their deeper, hidden meanings when translated into other languages. That's why I always read LotR in English and Don Quixote in Spanish.

Slow, if you're going to post good fanfic, or anything involving writing as a matter of fact, it's crucial that you have a mastery over the language that you're writing in. That's what being a writer is all about, writers use their powerful command of language to evoke images and emotions to their readers. Certain words and metaphors have hidden meanings which are left for the reader to interpret on their own. I don't go around and write essays in French because, to the eyes of a native French speaker, my writing would be nothing more than the work of a 7-year-old.
It's really difficult to translate 20000-30000+ words from your first language into your second. Sometimes I even have to rewrite some stuff because it's just not right in English. So I post here mostly to let people know the plot.

They said my writing is ok, plot is pretty good except they are not pleased about some Character Pairing such as Anakin&Satine. The flaw is that (mostly my first one) is a bit too rushed so the characterization is not good enough.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Elune

I think i should write my own fan fic, where Spartacus joins with Beatrix Kiddo in her fight against the Yakuza. Also the Yakuza are allies with the Roman Republic.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post

Thus why I previously mentioned language as a barrier.

Quote:
So you stop talk with my works flaw and good points?

I've not read Steinbeck's work, but Margaret Mitchell, Dickens, Goethe, Cervantes, Victor Hugo, Jane Austen and a few more famous writers'.
I don't think any of them is not comparable to Steinbeck.

Sure it's not even close to Stienbeck's work, but so does all the people here and not everyone has to follow his style. Also I don't have to control 100 characters in a story and can't do it unless I'm really good, enough to sell books.

I'm sorry but you have no right to judge how intelligent other people are, especially when you never interact with them. I like to improve and I'm trying, but you simply said I'm no good at everything, which many people got different ideas.
I never once mentioned your intelligence. What I said was you need to practice, which means you need to start learning how to critique yourself instead of just patting yourself on the back and saying "good enough." I used Steinbeck because he knows how to work in the large scale, but the more important point is that you're comparing your work to theirs. If you do this, you become aware of far more mistakes, and are more willing to accept the solutions to them, than if you just keep plodding along as you have been.

You are your own worst enemy. Your ego is your own worst nightmare. A good author knows when their ego is getting the better of them, and when they're being too harsh on themselves. Right now it's the former, which means you need to break out of your little social shell of a world and start learning to accept that the world doesn't love you because you tried your very best. There are three things you can do, get shit right the first time, practice to get it right, or call it good enough and waste the rest of your life whining about how no one appreciates your work.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
I actually didn't want to involve myself in this anymore, but I have to say one thing:

it isn't about intelligence, but the ability to criticize. There are a lot of people who just say "Oh, that looks nice!" or "Oh, sounds interesting" who either ignore the problems because they don't want to hurt, or simply are unable to see them because they have no experience.

The work of mediocre artist may seem great to them, but a more experienced artist will see it as a mediocre work. And it doesn't matter if we talk about writing or drawing. Yet, it's the critism of those with more experience you need to seek! For only they can tell you how to imrpove.

I seek myself the feedback of others so I can actually get better. But oh look behold, one of my worst pictures, a wow modelviewer compilation got all attention, while real drawings for which I worked hard get no attention at all. ((side info: it has 106173 viewers))

Well... Just my 5 cents.
Well they don't say "it's good!", it's not like that.

Like my first one

"The plot is pretty good and got twists, but your writing is a bit rushed, the characterization is still not enough, it's not as good as your plot. Also I don't like the scene of :raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: VS Eowyn since it didn't make enough sense to me."

"The plot is fine, but you are trying to tell a long story by simply 40000 words, which let some of the characters a bit pale and require more work."

About my TCW fanfic

"I don't like Anakin&Satine, he should not grow feeling and betray his wife. However Palpatine's manipulation is very good, the whole story didn't change Anakin's fate but let him become more tragic. "

"It's pretty good, but I still don't like the pair of Anakin and Satine."

"You know Anakin had a tight circle of relationship around him, Obi Wan, Padme, Ashoka and Palpatine, other woman shouldn't be able to touch him, even if they die for him. Also Satine should love more mature man and she does not like heroism. Other parts are very good, I like to see Obi Wan get beaten."

It's not I dislike Cantus or thought he credit my works like that simply because he does not like me, but I have the right to explain for my works and think it's not totally garbage.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
I never once mentioned your intelligence. What I said was you need to practice, which means you need to start learning how to critique yourself instead of just patting yourself on the back and saying "good enough." I used Steinbeck because he knows how to work in the large scale, but the more important point is that you're comparing your work to theirs. If you do this, you become aware of far more mistakes, and are more willing to accept the solutions to them, than if you just keep plodding along as you have been.

You are your own worst enemy. Your ego is your own worst nightmare. A good author knows when their ego is getting the better of them, and when they're being too harsh on themselves. Right now it's the former, which means you need to break out of your little social shell of a world and start learning to accept that the world doesn't love you because you tried your very best. There are three things you can do, get shit right the first time, practice to get it right, or call it good enough and waste the rest of your life whining about how no one appreciates your work.
Thanks for the advice, I will spend some time to look at his works. I never thought my work is good enough, every time I look at my old works I can see the problem.

However I don't think it's garbage either, it got good points, needs to make it better and improve other parts. If you can't find the flaw you won't improve, but if you can't find good points, it's sometimes even worse because all you can do is wipe out everything and try it again.

I accept criticism(also I have the right to explain), but I don't think something like "6 years old's work" is the right thing to say.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Feels awkward to me too. Seems like this is a crowd that is very, very, hard to please.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
Feels awkward to me too. Seems like this is a crowd that is very, very, hard to please.
I found it amusing to be honest. I read through the entire thread. I wrote a Star trek/ Rambo/ Indianna Jones erotica now. Anyone want to read it?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
I found it amusing to be honest. I read through the entire thread. I wrote a Star trek/ Rambo/ Indianna Jones erotica now. Anyone want to read it?
Why does it have to be erotica?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Why does it have to be erotica?
A better question is, why shouldn't it be?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
A better question is, why shouldn't it be?
Because it usually create the problem of off-character.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

:raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: couldn't help herself, that giant eye was just so inviting. Slowly moving closer, she bowed. "My lord, may..may I touch you?" The eye slowly turned, resting cruelly, but amused on her slender form. "Yes little thing, you may try to please the Dark Lord." With that, :raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: snuggled against the burning visage and slowly caressed his pupil, rubbing it harder and harder...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:03 PM

Eternal

Quote:
:raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: couldn't help herself, that giant eye was just so inviting. Slowly moving closer, she bowed. "My lord, may..may I touch you?" The eye slowly turned, resting cruelly, but amused on her slender form. "Yes little thing, you may try to please the Dark Lord." With that, :raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: snuggled against the burning visage and slowly caressed his pupil, rubbing it harder and harder...
Hot!
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 12:05 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Hot!
The saddest part about all this, I'm definitely not the first person to make this up, and I shudder to think what kind of maniac actually thinks of doing whole novellas of it. Other things I'd bet money on existing (because the slashfic community is just that fucked up)...
  • Ring Wraiths and
    • Eowyn
    • Any other female character who needs a stout shadow banging.
  • The Fellowship of the Cockring
  • Wizards Shooting "Magic Missiles" at each other.
  • Two Hobbits and an Ent Moot
  • Frodo and
    • Gollum
    • Shelob
    • Sam
    • Gandalf
    • Sauron
    • Name a character. Seriously, any character, there's a slashfic with Frodo somewhere on the net with them. Sick bastards all of you.
  • Why the fuck are you still reading this? Do you really get off on Gandalf waving his staff at a Balrog?
  • Now all you can think of is burning pubes. Here, have an eye bleaching of :raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: and Eowyn.
  • Now to Saruman getting dirty in front of a palantir.
  • Back to :raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: and Galadriel.
  • Now you can't decide if you're turned on or about to lobotomize yourself...don't worry, I haven't even mentioned Bjorn yet.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:22 AM

Elune

Quote:
The saddest part about all this, I'm definitely not the first person to make this up, and I shudder to think what kind of maniac actually thinks of doing whole novellas of it. Other things I'd bet money on existing (because the slashfic community is just that fucked up)...
  • Ring Wraiths and
    • Eowyn
    • Any other female character who needs a stout shadow banging.
  • The Fellowship of the Cockring
  • Wizards Shooting "Magic Missiles" at each other.
  • Two Hobbits and an Ent Moot
  • Frodo and
    • Gollum
    • Shelob
    • Sam
    • Gandalf
    • Sauron
    • Name a character. Seriously, any character, there's a slashfic with Frodo somewhere on the net with them. Sick bastards all of you.
  • Why the fuck are you still reading this? Do you really get off on Gandalf waving his staff at a Balrog?
  • Now all you can think of is burning pubes. Here, have an eye bleaching of :raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: and Eowyn.
  • Now to Saruman getting dirty in front of a palantir.
  • Back to :raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor::raptor: and Galadriel.
  • Now you can't decide if you're turned on or about to lobotomize yourself...don't worry, I haven't even mentioned Bjorn yet.
Does that really exists? Damn, people are crazy these days...
Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
Welcome to the internet. I don't doubt that all of that and more exist somewhere. (Not that I'd write that shit.... )
Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
I said I'd bet money, doesn't mean I'd win. Are you willing to spin the roulette wheel of the internet to find out if the bet's any good?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
I said I'd bet money, doesn't mean I'd win. Are you willing to spin the roulette wheel of the internet to find out if the bet's any good?
I googled some of the 'things' and I regret it already........
Old 06-22-2012, 12:43 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
I googled some of the 'things' and I regret it already........

Old 06-22-2012, 07:30 AM

Echo of the Past

I have spent considerable time amidst Kingdom Hearts and Sonic the Hedgehog fanfictions.

That is all I have to say about that.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Slowpokeking

Yes, you can find almost everything in LotR fanfic, all the weird ideas. SW fanfic are much better.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:17 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Yes, you can find almost everything in LotR fanfic, all the weird ideas. SW fanfic are much better.
Dude, we do not need to know about your Leia/Chewie slashfiction fetish.