Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2013, 03:50 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
What kind of degree are you getting at Oxford Torch?
Masters in chemistry, unless something goes horribly wrong and either I fail the course, or I can't do the final research year, which would be a shame as I hope to go into research.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 11-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Masters in chemistry, unless something goes horribly wrong and either I fail the course, or I can't do the final research year, which would be a shame as I hope to go into research.
Noice. I am sure you will do fine.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Noice. I am sure you will do fine.
Noice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:31 PM

Banished

I never feel so sad before when I looked at my high school teacher's file.

She is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen and gave me help during my worst time in the US. To me she's an angel that I can only look up for my whole life.

I really wanted to tell her about my life after I graduate, to show her my talent that I couldn't show due to the language problem in my high school. But I really didn't make any impressive achievement. I also don't want to cause any kind of misunderstanding like I did in high school, or to let her feel even a little bit uncomfortable. I don't even dare to have any kind of "imagination" all these years, not even for a moment.

Shall I keep bury everything until I did something that could make people proud?

NVM I guess it's better to keep all the feeling to myself rather than let others feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 11-29-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Old 11-29-2013, 06:45 PM

Elune

Future Torch?
Old 11-30-2013, 03:10 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
She is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen and gave me help during my worst time in the US. To me she's an angel that I can only look up for my whole life.
Just when you thought that Slow couldn't get any creepier...
Old 11-30-2013, 03:18 AM

Elune

pc broke,get to reinstall ALLL the drivers and wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Future Torch?
[IMG]
my sister is a chemistry teacher and removes points from students who make this comparison.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
my sister is a chemistry teacher and removes points from students who make this comparison.
Your sister hates fun!
Old 11-30-2013, 06:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Your sister hates fun!
I concur.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:15 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Your sister hates fun!
You know what? Good on her. If all you can think about during chemistry is "hurr hurr, drugs!", then you're probably doing a pretty lousy job of being a chemist, let alone being as original as the average boy band (you need some creativity and imagination to be a chemist and do research).

(And no Bolvar. I am NOT going to be Margaret Thatcher. NO. N O SPELLS NO.)

Old 11-30-2013, 06:25 AM

Elune

I wouldn't be surprised though if many people decided to pursue a chemistry degree because of that show. It isn't completely a bad thing because a chemistry degree is good for society but it is an odd way to instill motivation in someone.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
You know what? Good on her. If all you can think about during chemistry is "hurr hurr, drugs!", then you're probably doing a pretty lousy job of being a chemist, let alone being as original as the average boy band (you need some creativity and imagination to be a chemist and do research).

(And no Bolvar. I am NOT going to be Margaret Thatcher. NO. N O SPELLS NO.)
Obviously you hate fun as well!
Old 11-30-2013, 07:15 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Obviously you hate fun as well!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-2...itter_bbcworld

Among other things, one question asked is pretty much "Is our obsession with showing chemistry destroy things or being used by the fringe parts of our society helping breed distrust of the subject?"

Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-2...itter_bbcworld

Among other things, one question asked is pretty much "Is our obsession with showing chemistry destroy things or being used by the fringe parts of our society helping breed distrust of the subject?"
Nah dude, it is just plain ignorance.

Those with knowledge will not fear (well, not unduly fear I should say) the sciences. While the ignorant always will, be it an unreasonable fear and misunderstanding of germs for biology or terror at the mention of the word radiation in physics... or chemistry and the booms.

There are bits of truth in there but my opinion is that the author's opinions are greatly overstated.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Elune

Radiation is everywhere and those people are just going to have to deal with it.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Nah dude, it is just plain ignorance.

Those with knowledge will not fear (well, not unduly fear I should say) the sciences. While the ignorant always will, be it an unreasonable fear and misunderstanding of germs for biology or terror at the mention of the word radiation in physics... or chemistry and the booms.

There are bits of truth in there but my opinion is that the author's opinions are greatly overstated.
Yes and no.

While yes, it may be in part overstated, I think you may be missing part of the point. Physics has radiation... But you've also got astrophysics (Stars! Planets!) and the whole "Uncovering the greatest secrets the universe has to show us", and Biology has all the nice parts of nature, Chemistry more or less is shown off as destructive or illegal. And while you've got your household names in physics and biology past and present, do you really have so many for chemistry? I mean, how many household names can you think of regarding physics and biology (including science/nature presenters on tv) compared to similar chemists?

But yeah, I just don't like seeing chemistry being pretty much turned into "Oh, you're like that drug dealer off tv!"

Old 11-30-2013, 08:40 AM

Elune

So what you are saying is is that you are like this guy?

Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Just when you thought that Slow couldn't get any creepier...
It's how I feel, when I thought about it, the feeling(shame? regret? respect? no desire or lust at all) just almost devour me, I couldn't sleep and almost lost the will to live.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yes and no.

While yes, it may be in part overstated, I think you may be missing part of the point. Physics has radiation... But you've also got astrophysics (Stars! Planets!) and the whole "Uncovering the greatest secrets the universe has to show us", and Biology has all the nice parts of nature, Chemistry more or less is shown off as destructive or illegal. And while you've got your household names in physics and biology past and present, do you really have so many for chemistry? I mean, how many household names can you think of regarding physics and biology (including science/nature presenters on tv) compared to similar chemists?

But yeah, I just don't like seeing chemistry being pretty much turned into "Oh, you're like that drug dealer off tv!"
/shrug

I don't want to get into a huge debate here (even though that seems a staple of the internet, no matter how minor the issue ) but I still hold it is ignorance. Anyone with a bit of knowledge of history will know it was chemistry that was the first to improve human life from the ye olde medieval standard. Fertilizer? Chemistry. Metallurgy? Chemistry. Gunpowder? Chemistry.

Modern life was built on the back of chemistry that much should be obvious. I suppose one can imagine that chemistry has already blew its load so to speak. There isn't really that much more to do with chemistry (except maybe improve superconductors or wait for physics to allow for [possible] dark mater / superstring chemistry). We mostly have it figured out, there isn't really a next big thing atm.
It will eventually happen to other sciences as well. Imagine a day when we know just about everything about the phenomena of life, it will be a grand day, but after that interest will only wane. Same can happen to physics itself, in the end.

To answer your question on household names, I can only think of three physicists I care for and one biologist (well physician more like it).

But rather than retread old ground. What do you know of Breaking Bad? I do not think people get a bad image of chemistry when they watch that show. Quite the opposite, they see Walter White doing amazing things, almost magical things with his very real knowledge. It can genuinely inspire people, and remember, even bad publicity is better than no publicity. To use a strange example, look at all those "Justin Beiber sucks" messages that once flooded youtube. They brought attention to him, they might bring 50 new haters but also one more fan, if there is 500M views, that ends up quite a bit of fans he wouldn't otherwise have.

I think I am done with this subject now.

Last edited by C9H20; 11-30-2013 at 02:51 PM..
Old 11-30-2013, 03:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
It's how I feel, when I thought about it, the feeling(shame? regret? respect? no desire or lust at all) just almost devour me, I couldn't sleep and almost lost the will to live.
If that's truly how you feel (which is perfectly fine, don't get me wrong) you should maybe keep it to yourself instead of sharing it with a bunch of people in the internet. The way you described it makes it sound creepy.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:03 PM

Banished

Quote:
If that's truly how you feel (which is perfectly fine, don't get me wrong) you should maybe keep it to yourself instead of sharing it with a bunch of people in the internet. The way you described it makes it sound creepy.
I know, but it was just so painful yesterday and I post it without my mind totally clear. It's better now.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
I have a close friend who are like slowpoke. Not a single evil bone in him but... well whatever he does it comes out being creepy.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
I have a close friend who are like slowpoke. Not a single evil bone in him but... well whatever he does it comes out being creepy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
It's true, sadly. He's not had it easy with women I can tell you. He only wishes them the best but that's not how they view it.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Tags
realspace, spam thread 3.1