Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 AM

Loremaster

Default The Future of Warcraft

I've been thinking lately on alot of things mostly about the Warcraft World and where it seems to be headed. Think about what has transpired in the last five years since Warcraft III.

Onyxia slain

Ragnaros was slain/or banished to the Elemental Plane and the Dark Iron Dwarves were broken thanks to their leader dying.

Nefarion's evil plot to create the Chromatic Dragonflight was stopped.

The Old God C'Thun was slain in Ahn'Qiraj as well as most if not all the Qiraji and Sillithid.

The Scourge suffered a large setback (or did it? ) with their failed invasion of Azeroth and the temporary slain Kel'Thuzad.

The Defias Brotherhood have been shattered though it appears with the 2.3 patch that they have found a new sponsor hrrrrmmmmm.

We've learned that the Green Dragonflight has suffered some corruption and four of Ysera's lieutenants have gone mad and are invading our world, though I guess maybe we killed them too?

The Dwarves have discovered the ancient Discs of Norgannon deep within the Titan Vault of Uldaman and have discovered that it's possible the Titans will be returning one day for who knows what purpose.

Then the Dark Portal opened up and all sorts of crazy shit happened that I don't think I have to go into.

But my major thought is this. What will Azeroth look like in one hundred years? Your thoughts?
Old 11-27-2007, 06:04 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

It will be a perfect paradise, since no children are born and everyone will have the absolute best sets, so there will no longer be any reason to kill anyone.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
Onyxia slain

[...]

The Defias Brotherhood have been shattered though it appears with the 2.3 patch that they have found a new sponsor hrrrrmmmmm.
I'd say what happens in the 2.3 patch (in dustwallow marsh) happens before the start of Burning Crusade, and even before Onyxia is slain, since the player has to report what he finds near Alcaz Island to Bolvar and Prestor/Onyxia.
The Defias new sponsor might just be the black dragonflight.

In one hundred years Azeroth will certainly remain "entertainingly messy".
Adventurers may destroy the bosses and stop some of their plans now, the past has showed us factions/races are incredibly hard to annihilate in Warcraft.

So it's not impossible we'll see the Scourge rule most of Azeroth in a century's time. It's just improbable. We'll probably see the rise of one (or more) new factions before that.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Wrath makes me think otherwise.
I don't think much will be left after World of Warcraft.
Perhaps an entire new story set in a different time period?
Of course they could always invent something new on the spot, but how plausible can it be? The Evil Threat Nobody Ever Even Heard Of strikes at last?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Of course they could always invent something new on the spot, but how plausible can it be? The Evil Threat Nobody Ever Even Heard Of strikes at last?
At that point, Harnec books and games will have stolen their customers.

Muhahaha!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 PM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Heh. After the third war, a great mass of superpowered retards started emerging from the peoples of Azeroth. These amazing degenerates soon overran the surface of the planet, consuming everything in their path, jibbering mindlessly, and fighting one another over shiney things like small children.

However, this legion of idiots, these giants of simpletons, destroyed everything remotely threatening in Azeroth, from roadside bandits and starving wolves, to gods and greater demons! All of this was done in the name of their strange religion, which revolved a mysterious force known as "Phat Lootz".

Eventually, like a swarm of locusts that has run out of food, these strange yet idiotic beings slowly died off, leaving behind them a peaceful world, where everything to be fought over had been, and through their oafish behavior, the futility of war was made known to all.

Though they knew not from where they came, the peoples of Azeroth were greatful to their odd saviors, and in their honor, strangely enough, erected a great statue, taking the form of a greasy overweight man in strange garb, and a similarly dressed, but slender male, seemingly screaming at eachother with bloated faces, and clenching flasks of something called "Mountain Dew" in one hand, and in their other, odd rectangular devices adorned with many small squares arbitarily decorated with letters.

And they all lived happily ever after.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:44 PM

Loremaster

Well it's nice to see that one person took my post seriously without talking about leet raiders and other bullshit.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM

Elune

Correct me if i'm wrong but Mannoroth and Tichondrius were the "leaders" of their own kind, right? I think this is something blizzard should retcon and just had made Mannortoh and Tichondrius into mere lietunants of Archimonde, this way we can believe there are more powerful demons who are someform of "council" and their boss would of course be Kil'jaeden. This way Blizzard could have added more allmighty-powerful-demons-of-mass-destruction withouth making it silly (in my eyes).

Oh well, we'll see what happens in the worlds where Turalyon and Alleria are, but i guess Horde and Alliance won't go to war together in a long time, but lets also wait and see what will happen to Varien and the others in WoW comic.

EDIT: and Of course we got Lady Azshara which sooner or later will become a raid boss, prolly raise the naga citadel from the bottoms of the ocean with some hoccus-poccus and hey, Blizzard could always add another Old God boss to be her watch-over or sum.

Last edited by Drz; 11-27-2007 at 07:20 PM..
Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 PM

Loremaster

In 100 years Kil'jaeden, Arthas, Azshara, and whoever will be in WoW will be dead and long gone, so will Thrall and Jaina etc.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:39 PM

Elune

Well wasn't Metzen thinking of making some Female Orc that Thrall would get all jiggly with, because Thrall needed children (this came from Metzen's mouth, if someone didn't watch Blizzcon), so heh we'll see how the orcs will go all flowerpicker clan even more. :p

To be honest, one could wonder, would WoW be the last Warcraft game there is? Blizzard can always get bored of WC after WoW's getting too boring for community, and move on with new projects or continue Diablo/SC
Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

First option: All was a dream

All was a dream. All the things of WoW NEVER happened! O.O

Second option: Titans go insane

Titans make their own "Burning Legion style" invasion, to clean up Azeroth of the corrupted races, races corrupted by demons and old gods.

Third option: All-Gore

The pollution made by the harvest golem makes global warming and sunks the entire world. Water enters the portal, and all the water of Azeroth finishes in the Nether. Azeroth gets dry, and the only survivors to the waters, fishes and nagas, die without the water.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 AM

Loremaster

If you're not going to reply seriously don't reply at all guys. I was hoping that some of the more intelligent and thoughtful members would say something.....
Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
If you're not going to reply seriously don't reply at all guys. I was hoping that some of the more intelligent and thoughtful members would say something.....
So, you made this thread seriously?

The starting post really didn't give that expression.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans eventually get involved again.
I expect all the Old Gods to make an appearance at some point, because you know, Old Gods did it. They never get old.
Maybe some Scourge faction will survive. Though I can't say I hope to see that happen now.
The Legion; I think that Kil'jaeden's kamikaze sort of did away with it. Unless Blizzard plans Sargeras to have a melodramatic, cheesy return. Or they start making up lame excuses for major characters to 'escape death' and be killed.... again.... in the sequel.
Like, you know, despite the fact that you ran Kael'thas through he pops up at the Sunwell because you spared him for phat loots. So we likely kick his saggy demon ass again.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I think Blizzard would return to the past some day.

I mean one of the next Warcraft game would happen before the first war, just histories long ago forgotten.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-28-2007, 10:40 AM

Eternal

Warcraft 40 K?
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post
Warcraft 40 K?
I think someone asked about Orcs in Starcraft but i can't remember the exact answer from Metzen, but it was negative atleast. :p

PS. Seriously guys seriously! srly sry topic!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Arch-Druid

When I have more free time I might properly respond to this thread, but I feel that I should point out two things in the meantime.

Quote:
Ragnaros was slain/or banished to the Elemental Plane and the Dark Iron Dwarves were broken thanks to their leader dying.

Nefarion's evil plot to create the Chromatic Dragonflight was stopped.
If Magni Bronzebeard's daughter is telling the truth, then although the Dark Iron expansion has been halted a new leader who is the heir to the kingdoms of both Ironforge and Shadowforge(?) may arise in a generation or two, and I believe that the Dark Iron's research into animating stone may be continuing too since the head researcher apparently turned himself into a golem or something.

As for the Chromatic Dragonflight, while Nefarion has been murdered the project is allegedly ongoing if other members of the Black Dragonflight are to be believed.

Therefore, the Dark Iron Dwarves and Chromatic Dragonflight may yet play a future significant role in Azeroth's history despite the setbacks they've experienced in WoW.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
When I have more free time I might properly respond to this thread, but I feel that I should point out two things in the meantime.

If Magni Bronzebeard's daughter is telling the truth, then although the Dark Iron expansion has been halted a new leader who is the heir to the kingdoms of both Ironforge and Shadowforge(?) may arise in a generation or two, and I believe that the Dark Iron's research into animating stone may be continuing too since the head researcher apparently turned himself into a golem or something.

As for the Chromatic Dragonflight, while Nefarion has been murdered the project is allegedly ongoing if other members of the Black Dragonflight are to be believed.

Therefore, the Dark Iron Dwarves and Chromatic Dragonflight may yet play a future significant role in Azeroth's history despite the setbacks they've experienced in WoW.
Ha, I completely forgot about that storyline.

But that's kind of the thing with WoW that bothers me - I get this impression that when they were starting out, they had this big list of "major storylines" to weave throughout the game. But somewhere along the way, that list just vanished. The chains never got completed and thus the stories didn't resolve.

I mean, look at this:
-Missing Diplomat (finally getting a little closure, obviously finishing up in the comic)
-Scythe of Elune/Worgen
-Legion working with the Syndicate (and Stromgarde) - there is mention of the "Argus Wake" in Stranglethorn, but there are no demons in STV -_- I suspect this quest stuff, coming out of Hillsbrad (lvl 30) was meant to breadcrumb into STV and never did.
-Twilight's Hammer (there is a lose connection to C'Thun here but not much is resolved - I suspect though this is something that will get continued in WotLK)
-The Emerald Dream & The Nightmare (and Eranikus) - expanded a little when AQ opened but not a lot. I suspect this goes back to the original plan that the Emerald Dream was going to be in vanilla (though honestly I don't know why they ever promised this)
Old 11-28-2007, 02:22 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I think Eranikus was wrapped up nicely in AQ- though I always have wondered about the argus wake.

Last edited by Omacron; 11-28-2007 at 02:25 PM..
Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 PM

They'd better pay tribute to the Scarlet Crusade in WotLK. A great army and Scarlet navy were lost against the Scourge in Northrend after all.
I find it odd they aren't bothering to include the Argent Dawn in the expansion either. Considering they're Azeroth's united front against diabolical evils. It was the Argent Dawn that held the line when Kazzak opened the Dark Portal. Somehow.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
They'd better pay tribute to the Scarlet Crusade in WotLK. A great army and Scarlet navy were lost against the Scourge in Northrend after all.
I find it odd they aren't bothering to include the Argent Dawn in the expansion either. Considering they're Azeroth's united front against diabolical evils. It was the Argent Dawn that held the line when Kazzak opened the Dark Portal. Somehow.
I still find it funny that you can go to Stormwind's Cathedral Square and find the COMPLETELY EMPTY Argent Dawn headquarters.. haha.. I noticed that while playing my alt and started laughing. Seriously - did Blizzard not think to populate that during any of the bazillion Argent Dawn things they did? I was thinking putting guys in there for WotLK would be a good idea. (at the very least, I don't get why Blizzard hasn't at least populated a lot of those empty houses/shops with some filler NPCs by now)
Old 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM

Especially since they went as far as to give crew to the ships and zeppelins, you'd think they could manage to add a few flavor NPCs where necessary. The old world needs a rehaul.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
I still find it funny that you can go to Stormwind's Cathedral Square and find the COMPLETELY EMPTY Argent Dawn headquarters.. haha.. I noticed that while playing my alt and started laughing. Seriously - did Blizzard not think to populate that during any of the bazillion Argent Dawn things they did? I was thinking putting guys in there for WotLK would be a good idea. (at the very least, I don't get why Blizzard hasn't at least populated a lot of those empty houses/shops with some filler NPCs by now)
Or the Argent Dawn building and priest in Dun Morogh that has NEVER had anything to do with him in the game
Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Consider this: for all their racial variety and acceptance, the Argent Dawn is still a largely human-centric organization (mostly due to the circumstances of their formation). Yet, the only Alliance capital city with an inhabited Argent Dawn location is Darnassus, and apparently they're just there to await news about Backfathom Deeps.

Given their supposed purpose of battling great threats to Azeroth, the whole Kalimdor effort of the Argent Dawn is hard to rationalize: the Scourge has established a foothold in Razorfen Downs, the Qiraji and Silithid were threatening to pour out of Silithus and invade the entire southern half of the continent, and the Shadow Council is scheming to bring the Legion to Azeroth from their base in Jaedenar while demons and satyr continue to hold pieces of territory in Felwood and numerous other regions. Yet the Argent Dawn's Kalimdor branch is in a tizzy about some Hydra in Blackfathom Deeps and a bunch of Twilight Cultists who haven't really shown any inclination to come out of the ruins any time soon? Doesn't really make a lot of sense.