Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Bolvar wasn't the regent lord, Lady Prestor was, though I guess maybe Bolvar took her place.

Quote:
Funny. And what was Saurfang the Lesser? A total rip off of his daddy.
Don't really see that. Neither of them really have much of a personality to speak of other than 'generic tough guy!'. And Bolvar isn't much better off, his role here is more important in what he represents to Varian. It's a personal tragedy, rather than a 'oh we lost a lot of good boys in that fight' instead it's 'oh I lost my friend thanks to those bastard undead'. But Bolvar on his own was kinda just a figurehead and nothing more.

Now Garrosh and Jorin I think are actually fairly interesting heroes. Jorin's like the bitchy side-kick, while Garrosh is the young hero, who is showing promise and growing, which is almost the exact opposite of Grom. (The old hero, who is obsolete and deteriorating in a new age.)
Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Bolvar was Regent, there's no doubt about that part.
Though Anduin was crowned.

He was not a figurehead for Varian; they didn't have the comic planned or anything back then. He may not have had immense character depth compared to other notables, but he's on par with Magni anyway, and nobody complains about Magni. Or Lor'themar? Has Cairne even done a single thing since Rexxar's campaign in Warcraft 3?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldriud View Post
Bolvar wasn't the regent lord, Lady Prestor was, though I guess maybe Bolvar took her place.

Don't really see that. Neither of them really have much of a personality to speak of other than 'generic tough guy!'.
That's more or less it exactly. The younger exists because of Saurfang's retarded meme status.

And at least Bolvar has his True Master stuff and his status as someone who fought in the second war under everyone's favorite Lothar apprentice.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Uh... yes there is. Prestor was definitely the regent, at least until she died.

Quote:
He was not a figurehead for Varian; they didn't have the comic planned or anything back then. He may not have had immense character depth compared to other notables, but he's on par with Magni anyway, and nobody complains about Magni. Or Lor'themar? Has Cairne even done a single thing since Rexxar's campaign in Warcraft 3?
I don't like Lor'themor, I would have much rather seen Kael as the Silvermoon City leader. Magni is okay. I don't really like or dislike him, he's just kinda the dwarven king, same thing goes for Bolvar.

Quote:
That's more or less it exactly. The younger exists because of Saurfang's retarded meme status.
Totally agree with you.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

The only thing separating Saurfang Jr. from Bolvar is that Bolv has been in game longer. They have just as much depth of character.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellah View Post
The only thing separating Saurfang Jr. from Bolvar is that Bolv has been in game longer. They have just as much depth of character.
Jr's claim to fame is his father. Bolvar's claim to fame is kicking Dragonspawn ass.

Jr is generic orc; hell even questgivers say he's his father. Bolvar is mind controlled ex-lieutenant of the Alliance and now co-reagent/whatever of Azeroth.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Though Anduin was crowned.

Magni is lame. He's got nothing going for him other than that he has two brothers that are much cooler than he is. Lor'themar is shitty too, he barely even registers as a faction leader.

Now you seem to forget the Horde lost Varimathras as well, an actual established character from WCIII that was just as important as Bolvar in WoW in that he hung out in a throne room for just as long, in addition to Saurfang Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuber8900 View Post
Jr is generic orc
Bolvar is just as much generic human as Jr. is generic orc.

Last edited by Gurtogg_Bloodboil; 11-13-2008 at 07:27 AM..
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Sentinel Queen

Bolvar was a completely undeveloped placeholder for the majority of his existence. He did nothing but let Onixya drive Stormwind into the ground while Varian was MIA and he was supposed to be handling the Kingdom. I can see why Varian would be upset by his loss since they were friends, but he really does not stack up to other major Alliance heros. Saying that he has the same character development as Magni or Lor'themar doesn't really say much since both of those characters are incredibly underdeveloped for major faction leaders.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:35 PM

That was my point. I don't see anybody bitching about other heroes. Bolvar has more development if anything.
In terms of World of Warcraft, he is far more active than Cairne, Tyrande, Staghelm or a myriad of other characters.

Call him a placeholder all you like, but he was far more than that. He was called one of the finest heroes of his time after his death. He was there alongside your Horde as the fist of the Alliance in Northrend, standing face to face with the Lich King.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Sentinel Queen

People complain about the lack of development in other characters fairly often. The difference between them and Bolvar is no one tries to play them off as heroes of the Alliance/Horde. Hell, Magni and Cairne aren't even their own races most important characters; Magni is in the shadow of his brothers and Cairne has been marginalized by Magatha and Hamuul since WoW. Staghelm's character was explored quite well throughout WoW. Tyrande takes part in the Moonglade event, she lead the Night Elves through both of the Legion's invasions, created the Sentinels, is the High Priestess of Elune, etc.. She's one of the most important character's in the series, I wouldn't put Bolvar anywhere near her level.

Which brings me more to the point; Bolvar really was just a placeholder for most of the last four years. All we knew about him was that he was in charge in the King's absence and the Kingdom was falling apart due to the incompetence of its leaders and their submission to Onixya. Not really a ringing endorsement of his abilities. He was given more attention in Wrath and the comics but his main role in Northrend was to die at the hands of Putress and give Varian's rage justification. At best he's a minor character.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Have fun with that.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peger View Post
At best he's a minor character.
He's not minor if I likes him!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
He's not minor if I likes him!!!
Tut tut Gurt, you should know better than to practice favouritism.
I'm revoking your girl scout license.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:05 PM

Elune

I didn't like those cookies anyway.

But seriously, Bolvar was marginal just like half the racial leaders.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Marginal is a bit harsh, but yes, you'll find more important people in more obscure places. A placeholder is a little too harsh. He is his own character, and when Varian finally took the throne back he got some spotlight and development. Although it cost him his life.

It's still a big deal that he dies, level of intense depth or not. Sentimental value doesn't always arise from the number of monologues and angsty changes a character undergoes. Plus you need look no further than the political upheaval it has caused.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Eternal

Want to know who is MINOR with capital letters inclued??? Vol'jin.
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 11-13-2008, 06:26 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Want to know who is MINOR with capital letters inclued??? VOL"JIN.
But he uh, he.....

Dammit Little Timmy has more character!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Want to know who is MINOR with capital letters inclued??? Vol'jin.
Indeed. Talk about a group that needs a strong character, the Trolls and their leadership are complete afterthoughts.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Indeed. Talk about a group that needs a strong character, the Trolls and their leadership are complete afterthoughts.
I wouldn't mind a new Horde hero for a comic story. Troll or Tauren would be my choices.
The trouble with Europe, is that it is full of Drz.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskinRidge View Post
I wouldn't mind a new Horde hero for a comic story. Troll or Tauren would be my choices.
Well, at least Knaak loves his Tauren and always put them in, even if they don't belong.

However, there's not a single compeling Darkspear hero in pretty much any story. Rok'han could have been a good choice to develop, but then they just made him a scrubby pointless quest giver.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:42 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Well, at least Knaak loves his Tauren and always put them in, even if they don't belong.

However, there's not a single compeling Darkspear hero in pretty much any story. Rok'han could have been a good choice to develop, but then they just made him a scrubby pointless quest giver.
That's because trolls and gnomes suck, and were complete after thoughts.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 AM

Woah. Vol'Jin. I had spent awhile before trying to think of heroes with less development than Bolvar.

Vol'Jin is so insignificant I went so far as to actually literally forget about him, or I'd have brought him up.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:20 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Woah. Vol'Jin. I had spent awhile before trying to think of heroes with less development than Bolvar.

Vol'Jin is so insignificant I went so far as to actually literally forget about him, or I'd have brought him up.
That's because he's a joke! Seriously, what has he done?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 AM

Elune

Isn't Vol'jin assisting Thrall and Sylvanas to retake Undercity?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:16 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Isn't Vol'jin assisting Thrall and Sylvanas to retake Undercity?
No one cares, because it's just Vol'jin.