Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2008, 12:08 PM
ScytheRexx ScytheRexx is offline

Loremaster
ScytheRexx's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,490

Default Emotional Quests

Anyone here done a quest that just made you feel completely and utterly rotten? I had one of those yesterday while leveling my Hunter. Normally quests like these I would immediatly abandon, but sadly with how Achievements work I would lose out on my future Loremaster title by doing such. So I followed through with it.

The quest involves the Forsaken (OH NOES!) attacking New Hearthglen. At one point you get a quest from the Spy Mistress on the top floor of the Inn at Venomspite. She mentions how some of the Forsaken were captured by the Scarlet Onslaught and thus were deemed "failures" to the Forsaken. As such, they were sentenced to death. You go to each of them and while they are caged and helpless, you kill them.

The first one was hard, but thankfully she was kind of a bitch anyways. The second one was not as hard either, since he seemed like a jerk. The third one though was one that when you tell him you are going to kill him, he begs for his life, and for a minute I just stood there with my mouth open unsure what to do as he asked for mercy and that he wanted to live. I finally did it for the sake of the quest. The forth guy was some political figure that got bonked on the head while traveling to Venomspite, and also begs for his life by offering you double what the Forsaken were offering me for his death. (Didn't give me the option to take the money though!)

I walked away from that quest pretty sour. Had to tell myself that I just faked their deaths so they could escape just because my inner consiounse was eating away at me. Very few quests bring out an emotion inside me other then "This is fun!", but that quest made me very emotional, the guilty kind.

Very glad the Forsaken will be getting a bit more redeemed soon after the Battle for the Undercity, because most of them took on a whole new level of deprevity in the expansion with the few noticable good ones located mainly in orc locations.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Kenzuki Kenzuki is offline

Loremaster
Kenzuki's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Gates of Twilight
Posts: 9,954

Default

I'de say it would have to be the one in Eversong Woods where Larianna Riverwind sends you to slay all those Withered Green Keepers, and you will probably run into Old Whitebark, who once killed, drops a pendent when you take to Larianna. And when she finds out that it's the one she gave him when she was a little girl, she cries because of it. This is what she says exactly.

This... this pendant. I gave it to Old Whitebark after his people helped us rebuild our village.

I guess this means he's...

<The blood elf clears her throat as she regains her composure.>

I appreciate your bringing this to me, Kenzuki. There is something I'd like to ask of you.



Later when she sends you to put the pendent near the runestone and lay her friend's spirit to rest, his spirit comes and you fight it. The spirit then says "What good does this violence serve? What is done is done. I have failed my people." He then says "You've returned, Kenzuki. Haven't you done enough?" when you defeat him he then says.

I no longer belong to this world and must admit defeat. The land has forever changed and nothing will ever be the same.


Leave the pendant here with me, Kenzuki. Maybe one day, long after the elves are gone, a new tree will grow on this very spot - amongst a burnt forest and the husks of dead treants.



This made my former priest turned blood knight very sad indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Warlock Warlock is offline

Keeper of Lore
Warlock's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,497
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default

There is an Alliance quest in Star's Rest that has you kill one of the Overseer people who are re-routing the lay lines for the blues. When you kill her, she drops a letter explaining that she was captured and was told that if she didn't follow their ordered, they would murder her entire family. However, she was secretly working to undermine them and sabotague their efforts. So yeah, you just killed her.

Then, the people at Star's Rest say they will inform her father, Archmage Malin in Stormwind (but will leave the part about you killing her out of it). He sends you a mail a day later thanking you for helping his daughter out, etc. I'll see if I can dig up the text.

Edit:
http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12067

Quote:
Father,

I'm sorry for disappearing on you. If you're reading this letter, then I'm dead.

I've been forced to work for Malygos's armies under threat that our family would be killed if I didn't. I feel so ashamed.

If there's anything that you can do to fight them, don't worry about me. I have them fooled and I'm sabotaging them from the inside.

I love you, Daddy!

Em
Quote:
Dear <name>,

Commander Azuresteel's personal courier saw to it that I received my daughter's letter. The courier also told me it was you who found it.

I just want to thank you for seeing to it that the letter got to me. I know that times must be tough for all of you brave souls who are daring to fight in Northrend.

Rest assured that I will avenge Emmy. The Blue Dragonflight will suffer for what they did to my little girl!

With the utmost respect and gratitude,

Archmage Malin
__________________

Last edited by Warlock; 11-24-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Yuber8900 Yuber8900 is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Yuber8900's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,659

Default

What Warlock said. Good thing Phasing didn't remove her or else I'd feel really bad!

Wrath gate.

The quest where you're stealing Troll guts. I was fine with torturing Blue Dragons, but hearing a troll ghost say "Why you stealing my innards man?" had me creeped out.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Bradford Bradford is offline

Site Staff - News
Bradford's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via AIM to Bradford

Default

I RP my DK as a scarlet Crusader that was killed during the assult on Nax. I farmed the SM tabard so I coul sport that. I didnt really feel much emotion wihen killing the Scarlets from the start, but I stay clear of many of the crusaders that are not in charge. I feel that from being a scarlet in life and a DK in death, there would not be much emotion left in him to begin with, other than blind faith in the Alliance and the king.
__________________
There is no right or wrong, only the strong and the weak.

Last edited by Bradford; 11-24-2008 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Xarthat Xarthat is offline

Eternal
Xarthat's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Second World Shithole
Posts: 3,849
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Default

Em... do you know what the emotion is in real life? This thread is about what have shaken YOU, not your DK. I have a feeling that you can't tell the difference.

To not be completely OT, for me a lots and lots of quests, but don't have time to quote them all.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Timolas Timolas is offline


Timolas's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Malta
Posts: 12,475
Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Default

Pre-WotLk quests had next to no impact, but I guess there are a few which are worth a second thought now.
It was kind of sad killing your friend as a Death Knight. There's depth there.

It was not amusing when Malygos kidnapped my Red Dragon in human form girlfriend/'friend with benefits', who I had gone through the trouble to rescue in the first place. Then you've got to go execute her in the Nexus to put her at rest from Malygos' literal raping. Keristraza; so much for that. She was nice.

And uh.

Nathanos' quest to kill the high elves made me feel horrible. What was up with that? Ranger Lord Hawkspear carving out a miserable living for some of the last of his people, guarding the Thalassian Pass, and whoops here comes the Horde.

Aurora Skycaller kind of painted a similarly miserable picture for her people. I'd probably feel a load less for this whole picture if I didn't like high elves for some reason.

I can't point out anything as emotionally touching as a load of other things that don't spring to mind. But those did make me feel... well... something. They were one step up from being pixels.

Oh yeah.

Finally I guess I feel sad that I have to turn on the adventurers in Zul'Farrak who you rescue and fight side by side with. They were cool.
__________________
There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Dark Avenger Dark Avenger is offline

Arch-Druid
Dark Avenger's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scotland, UK. Freezing up here!
Posts: 1,081

Default

There was a quest in the Eastern Plaguelands that I thought was pretty emotional. What happens is you come across a note from a troll, and it tells you that he and his convoy ate some infected meat without realising it, and are now slowly turning into undead. He begs you to kill him in order to stop the transformation. I found it pretty emotional because it's the fact that he ate it by accident, without even worrying about the consequences, making it seem that if he hadn't he would still be alive today.

Great quest.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,393

Default

The Pamela Redpath quests in EPL were pretty sad.

My auntie Marlene told me to stay here in our house because my father had to go and fight. My father's the bravest man in the whole world!

But I've been here for a long time, and he hasn't come for me. Sometimes bad people come and whisper to me and I want my dad to make them go away, but he's not here!

Oh, I'm so lonely! Where is my family? Auntie Marlene told me to stay here, but then she left and never came back! And my dad... have you seen him?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Bradford Bradford is offline

Site Staff - News
Bradford's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via AIM to Bradford

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
The Pamela Redpath quests in EPL were pretty sad.

My auntie Marlene told me to stay here in our house because my father had to go and fight. My father's the bravest man in the whole world!

But I've been here for a long time, and he hasn't come for me. Sometimes bad people come and whisper to me and I want my dad to make them go away, but he's not here!

Oh, I'm so lonely! Where is my family? Auntie Marlene told me to stay here, but then she left and never came back! And my dad... have you seen him?
I agree, the quests that invovle children always get to me. The stolen innocence drives me mad. I have a 2 year old daughter and I would fear for the person that would even think of looking at her wrong.
__________________
There is no right or wrong, only the strong and the weak.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM
Peger Peger is offline

Sentinel Queen
Peger's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Theramore
Posts: 802

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Anyone here done a quest that just made you feel completely and utterly rotten? I had one of those yesterday while leveling my Hunter. Normally quests like these I would immediatly abandon, but sadly with how Achievements work I would lose out on my future Loremaster title by doing such. So I followed through with it.

The quest involves the Forsaken (OH NOES!) attacking New Hearthglen. At one point you get a quest from the Spy Mistress on the top floor of the Inn at Venomspite. She mentions how some of the Forsaken were captured by the Scarlet Onslaught and thus were deemed "failures" to the Forsaken. As such, they were sentenced to death. You go to each of them and while they are caged and helpless, you kill them.

The first one was hard, but thankfully she was kind of a bitch anyways. The second one was not as hard either, since he seemed like a jerk. The third one though was one that when you tell him you are going to kill him, he begs for his life, and for a minute I just stood there with my mouth open unsure what to do as he asked for mercy and that he wanted to live. I finally did it for the sake of the quest. The forth guy was some political figure that got bonked on the head while traveling to Venomspite, and also begs for his life by offering you double what the Forsaken were offering me for his death. (Didn't give me the option to take the money though!)

I walked away from that quest pretty sour. Had to tell myself that I just faked their deaths so they could escape just because my inner consiounse was eating away at me. Very few quests bring out an emotion inside me other then "This is fun!", but that quest made me very emotional, the guilty kind.

Very glad the Forsaken will be getting a bit more redeemed soon after the Battle for the Undercity, because most of them took on a whole new level of deprevity in the expansion with the few noticable good ones located mainly in orc locations.
Yea, that quest was a bit much. The first few DK quests were you kill the villagers and they scream in horror/pain is kind of wrenching too.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

I second (third) the quest in which you kill the mage who was forced into working with the blues as a really emotional quest.


Thankfully, my druid character teeters between outright amorality and being evil, so, really, ICly, I have no reason not to do it, and my Orc Deathknight has been a deathknight since the second war, and doesn't even view killing or death as a big deal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Yuber8900 Yuber8900 is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Yuber8900's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,659

Default

Oh yeah, there's also that one Zul'drak quest where you kill some Troll Warlord's family just so you could lure him out. Since he's Elite, the quest has you grabbing stuff from their corpses to give you a boost for the fight. Which I didn't fucking want or need so now I feel like an ass that I murdered some jerkass troll's family just to get to him.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2008, 09:17 AM
ScytheRexx ScytheRexx is offline

Loremaster
ScytheRexx's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,490

Default

In regards to the mage with the letter, the Horde has one of those too. When you do the second part of that chain you have to kill a Troll Mage working for Malygos, who has the exact same letter only he was doing it to protect his sister and was working to undermine the blues. I felt so bad about killing him that when I went to Agmar, who basically trashed the dead troll as a traitor regardless of what he was doing, I almost wanted to kill that damn warlord right then and there.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
WyrmKing WyrmKing is offline

Demon Hunter
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
In regards to the mage with the letter, the Horde has one of those too. When you do the second part of that chain you have to kill a Troll Mage working for Malygos, who has the exact same letter only he was doing it to protect his sister and was working to undermine the blues. I felt so bad about killing him that when I went to Agmar, who basically trashed the dead troll as a traitor regardless of what he was doing, I almost wanted to kill that damn warlord right then and there.
Did you get a letter from his sister after that?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,393

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrmKing View Post
Did you get a letter from his sister after that?

Yes you do. You can even talk to her yourself in Org afterwards (she's a mage trainer), and she has some dialogue about it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Saim Saim is offline

Priestess of the Moon
Saim's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 591

Default

I found it weird when my blood elf was killing high elves for the Revantusk tribe "because they're elves".

The death knight quests to kill villagers was pretty bad. They even made them grays!

Last edited by Saim; 11-25-2008 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-26-2008, 01:55 AM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,538

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saim View Post
I found it weird when my blood elf was killing high elves for the Revantusk tribe "because they're elves".
Admittedly, that's probably more along the lines of an accidental quest incompatability since it predates Blood Elves' addition as playable characters.

Though Outland has a similar thing in it. Player Blood Elves show up in Terokkar, and the first time they run into the very Outland-based brethren they've made their pilgrimage to meet in the "promised land", they start killing them unquestioningly because the Cenarion Expedition and local orcs tell them to.

But still, there isn't nearly as much internal moral conflict in TBC. When the Legion's stomping around, it's hard to feel bad about anything you do to them, and the Illidari are similarly unsympathetic because they weren't really given a motivation beyond "their bosses went crazy, and now they're doing awful things without wondering why." Innocent bystanders are hard to find in Outland outside Shattrath. Most of the native races are either sinisterly driven like the Arakkoa or they're simply inclined to start smashing intruders like the ogres and Gronn.

Though I will admit, it's a little heart-wrenching to kill ogres in the Blade's Edge Mountains after finishing the Ogri'la access questline. Upon death they shout things along the lines of either being honored to die by your hand or claiming that you're an awful king/queen. Kinda sad at the time, since theyre not really the enemy any longer with the Gronn eliminated and their freedom gained, and as such are turned into neutral mobs who respond to friendly emotes.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Echoscream Echoscream is offline

Treant
Echoscream's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 18

Default

It seemed like there were very little quests pre-wrath that had an emotional impact on you, I think the only ones are they EPL/WPL ones. I think Blizzard really worked hard on making these new quest more emotional. I think all of the DK ones, especially the ones where you kill the citizens of Havenshire, you feel pretty bad killing them as they beg for their lives. Another one in the DK starting area is the one where you kill your friend in the prisoner building, he tells you that this world is worth saving and stuff. In Northrend I think the one where you had to kill Abbendis was harsh. I think all of the ones posted above are great examples. I think Northrend overall is very emotional, as you go through the quests and you feel what the Lich King has done, it really added to the feeling of wanting to kick Arthas's ass
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Krucifire Krucifire is offline

Ranger
Krucifire's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 365

Default

I was just tasked with acquiring the key of Warlord Zol'Maz, by the Zandalar tribe In Zul'drak.. and when I engaged his daughter, she screamed daddy I couldn't help but feel bad.

and when I engaged the Warlord of Zul'drak, He was greatly angered at the slaughter of his family, and well what would any father want? Punisher mode.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.