Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 08:47 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
So as the Lordaeron scenario becomes more polished I'm curious about the blight.

Until now it has more or less just been treated as a chemical weapon but now it seems to be also capable of raising mindless undead, as we see from all the Blighted Soldiers in the aftermath of the battle. Furthermore, Anduin seems to have the ability to repel and/or clear it using his holy magic.

It is behaving a lot more like one of the Scourge's infectious agents now both in its effects and weaknesses and I wonder if that is intentional.

Also I know it's been pointed out a bunch already but still lmao that the Alliance assaulted Undercity without any plan for dealing with the blight, which the Forsaken have used in every major engagement with the Alliance since Cataclysm.
The Alliance isn't allowed to be effective against the Horde.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Uther's tomb has had me tapping my chin because it seems completely unrelated to anything but Blizzard never does updates like that just because. A Lordaeron patch later down the road makes sense, though honestly I'd rather have a Kalimdor one. The EK are getting both Battle for Undercity and the Arathi warfront, while Kalimdor is ignored after Teldrassil is completely forgotten. And I say this as a human fan.
There is a map in the files called "Warfront Barrens" and some datamined stuff about the Alliance trying to invade Mulgore. So unless that's all scrapped stuff there should be some Kalimdor content coming in the patch cycle.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Gonna be that guy right now and say that I think the Blight situation should have been solved by Worgen Druids learning how to counter it and bringing that specialty to the forefront. Them being more strongly counteractive against death magic would have set them apart from Night Elves a lot more and apparently there's a Worgen Druid quest-giver in Tiragarde that has an inkling of that concept where he gives you a staff to turn undead enemies you fight in a cave into allies and then they die after a moment of helping the player out.

Would also make Worgen an important factor in helping the Alliance reclaim Lordaeron and would make sufficient explanation for why they manage to reclaim Gilneas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Uther's tomb has had me tapping my chin because it seems completely unrelated to anything but Blizzard never does updates like that just because. A Lordaeron patch later down the road makes sense, though honestly I'd rather have a Kalimdor one. The EK are getting both Battle for Undercity and the Arathi warfront, while Kalimdor is ignored after Teldrassil is completely forgotten. And I say this as a human fan.
It's for the Alliance Undead allied race.

And quite frankly, while I do sympathize and hope that there's some content for Kalimdor later on, I think it's worth mentioning that the last time they told a faction war story it was largely expressed on Kalimdor because Cataclysm put most of its focus in storytelling on Kalimdor. Hell, if you quested as a Human, Gnome, or Dwarf you didn't really come face to face with any Horde until around Hinterlands and Western Plaguelands, and if you played a Worgen then you didn't fight ANY Horde UNLESS you decided to go the Kalimdor path, which sucks because that just ended up detaching you completely away from your homeland you should be fighting for. By deciding to limpdick the EK Alliance-side of the faction war, Blizzard ended up creating things that absolutely needed to be addressed and is something of which they seemingly are finally addressing now in BfA.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 06-21-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Old 06-21-2018, 11:58 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Gonna be that guy right now and say that I think the Blight situation should have been solved by Worgen Druids learning how to counter it and bringing that specialty to the forefront. Them being more strongly counteractive against death magic would have set them apart from Night Elves a lot more and apparently there's a Worgen Druid quest-giver in Tiragarde that has an inkling of that concept where he gives you a staff to turn undead enemies you fight in a cave into allies and then they die after a moment of helping the player out.

Would also make Worgen an important factor in helping the Alliance reclaim Lordaeron and would make sufficient explanation for why they manage to reclaim Gilneas.
Neat ideas there.

Quote:
It's for the Alliance Undead allied race.

And quite frankly, while I do sympathize and hope that there's some content for Kalimdor later on, I think it's worth mentioning that the last time they told a faction war story it was largely expressed on Kalimdor because Cataclysm put most of its focus in storytelling on Kalimdor. Hell, if you quested as a Human, Gnome, or Dwarf you didn't really come face to face with any Horde until around Hinterlands and Western Plaguelands, and if you played a Worgen then you didn't fight ANY Horde UNLESS you decided to go the Kalimdor path, which sucks because that just ended up detaching you completely away from your homeland you should be fighting for. By deciding to limpdick the EK Alliance-side of the faction war, Blizzard ended up creating things that absolutely needed to be addressed and is something of which they seemingly are finally addressing now in BfA.
Also, Eastern Kingdoms has way more war potential. You have Gilneas to explore. And you have Quel'thalas to invade/defend.

Horde already invaded most of the Alliance land in Kalimdor and destroyed the two main Alliance cities in the continent (Theramore and Teldrassil). Yes, there's the Myst Isles, but they are already not really part of the main land.

Even the supposed Battlefront Barrens makes little sense, since Alliance has no stronghold/city to support a spearhead there.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 06-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post

Even the supposed Battlefront Barrens makes little sense, since Alliance has no stronghold/city to support a spearhead there.
Technically the Horde doesn't have a stronghold/city to support a spearhead in Arathi either. Blizzard made an entirely new stronghold: Ar'Gorok. That's probably what they'll do for the Barrens.

Though a rebuilt Fort Triumph or maybe Bael Modan could work too.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Technically the Horde doesn't have a stronghold/city to support a spearhead in Arathi either. Blizzard made an entirely new stronghold: Ar'Gorok. That's probably what they'll do for the Barrens.

Though a rebuilt Fort Triumph or maybe Bael Modan could work too.
Well, the Horde does have Silvermoon, and Plaguelands are (still) neutral territory. Also, there's Andorhal, thought its status is questionable. Also, Horde can supply Ar'Gorok throught Hinterlands (Revantusk control the coast) and Hammerfall. (I'm aware the table missions indicate Alliance control the whole of the north, but I question the canonicity of it like Sludge Fields still led by Stillwater).

I don't doubt Blizzard will end up making a Barrens Battlefront. It's just that it's forced. A Battlefront in Ashenvale or Feralas would make a lot more sense.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM

Eternal

It seems pretty clear to me that Ar'gorok can be supplied from Hammerfall, and it from Revantusk and whatever other ports the Horde may have on the Forbidding Sea, which are in turn linked to Quel'Thalas.

As for the Silver Hand, they appear with Turalyon in the Alliance side of the warfront, which suggests they are already with the Alliance.

And in the Barrens, the mission table states that Fort Triumph is to be rebuilt, and both Bael Modan and Northwatch are still standing.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:13 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

blizzard and good writing seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
It seems pretty clear to me that Ar'gorok can be supplied from Hammerfall, and it from Revantusk and whatever other ports the Horde may have on the Forbidding Sea, which are in turn linked to Quel'Thalas.

As for the Silver Hand, they appear with Turalyon in the Alliance side of the warfront, which suggests they are already with the Alliance.

And in the Barrens, the mission table states that Fort Triumph is to be rebuilt, and both Bael Modan and Northwatch are still standing.
Also it seems the Horde has fully conquered Alterac Mountains, Hillsbrad Foothills and northern Arathi Highlands this expansion. They have enough support back lines.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Also it seems the Horde has fully conquered Alterac Mountains, Hillsbrad Foothills and northern Arathi Highlands this expansion. They have enough support back lines.
Horde already had all those zones and it doesn't matter all that much when it has no way to resupply. Maybe Horde can resupply by sea on the East Coast of Arathi but without controlling Stromgarde Keep they have no way to reinforce anything past Thoradin's Wall.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:35 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I don't disagree, but where are you getting that information?
Old 06-22-2018, 02:30 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

I hate that we have GOLDEN of all people on the writing team.

As that guarantees we will see warchief Spineless.

Pretty certain that individuals like hammerbrew are happy about this.

Baine as Warchief is all but confirmed and is at this point as evident as Voljin warchief was in MoP
¨
Baine should be murdered and killed off. He is a useless character
Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
Garona having no qualms on killing another king
Quote:
...there's no characters anymore. There's just names and models with dialgoe attatched to shepeard the player to whatever little end box they need to tick off.
Poor argument.

Have you seen people in real life with behavior issues? People who spend their whole life talking about how they used to be very fucked up and now they're on the path to salvation, only to see them doing the very same bad thing again in a matter of months?

People are fickle. Unstable. Words and beliefs are all beautiful, but when you take actions and behavior into account, you'll see that most people don't act according to what they preach. The current sociopolitical division in the west actually is a great depiction of that.

"There's no characters anymore" oh come on. It's like you're telling me you want them to be robots who do exactly what they say they're going to do and never deviate from a path once they've embarked in it.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:24 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
I don't disagree, but where are you getting that information?
The Hillsbrad and Alterac information comes from the Eastern Kingdoms follower mission text, which has the horde still in control of Tarren Mill and the Sludge Fields (with Stillwater also somehow being alive, but then again he showed up alive and well in Legion so who knows) while also saying they're rebuilding Alterac City, Durnholde Keep, and Strahnbrad as new Horde strongholds.

The Arathi Highlands stuff is just the presence of Ar'gorok and Hammerfall.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The Hillsbrad and Alterac information comes from the Eastern Kingdoms follower mission text, which has the horde still in control of Tarren Mill and the Sludge Fields (with Stillwater also somehow being alive, but then again he showed up alive and well in Legion so who knows) while also saying they're rebuilding Alterac City, Durnholde Keep, and Strahnbrad as new Horde strongholds.

The Arathi Highlands stuff is just the presence of Ar'gorok and Hammerfall.
I really hope we get a Lordaeron patch that updates all such areas and make use of them. Alterac and Strahnbrad have been useless since Cataclysm. Gilneas as well.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:52 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Poor argument.

Have you seen people in real life with behavior issues? People who spend their whole life talking about how they used to be very fucked up and now they're on the path to salvation, only to see them doing the very same bad thing again in a matter of months?

People are fickle. Unstable. Words and beliefs are all beautiful, but when you take actions and behavior into account, you'll see that most people don't act according to what they preach. The current sociopolitical division in the west actually is a great depiction of that.

"There's no characters anymore" oh come on. It's like you're telling me you want them to be robots who do exactly what they say they're going to do and never deviate from a path once they've embarked in it.
If Warcraft was believable the Horde would be dead or not be a major threat to the Alliance.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:58 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Poor argument.

I want them to be beleivable and consistent, and if there are any changes, for there to be a damn good reason for them, especially for things that are core to their chracter.

Sylvanas going on about "the mercies of Undeath" as if her entire trajectory wasn't based on How much being Undead Is a fucking curse.

Garona, who was never proud, and borderline traumatized, over her actions with regards to King Llaine, boasting about how "She killed one king, she could very well kill another" like it's no big deal.

Lilian Voss, hating of Necromancers, throwing her lot in with the most overt mass-raiser since the Lich King. So far, she is the only one they attempted to reconcile this massive cognitive dissonance and it's still unpalatable.

Characters without internal Consistency may as well be robots that Blizzard moves around to make whatever banal plot they want to make work. It's always been a problem, but now it's extending to entire questlines. And it's not even a mistake-it's deliberate.

They don't care about story or characters. They make endpoints and move everything else to make it meet that endpoint with no regard to what came before.

How can I care about character who change so drastically? The person I may come to like may change within the span of a patch to suit their needs with no due dilligence on their part. And now that same blase approach to characters is leaking out into the questlines themselves.

Use whatever weak analogues to reality you want. It won't matter because there's no reality that changes as they forget or deliberately omit character traits and canon to drag along.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:37 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
I want them to be beleivable and consistent, and if there are any changes, for there to be a damn good reason for them, especially for things that are core to their chracter.

Sylvanas going on about "the mercies of Undeath" as if her entire trajectory wasn't based on How much being Undead Is a fucking curse.

Garona, who was never proud, and borderline traumatized, over her actions with regards to King Llaine, boasting about how "She killed one king, she could very well kill another" like it's no big deal.

Lilian Voss, hating of Necromancers, throwing her lot in with the most overt mass-raiser since the Lich King. So far, she is the only one they attempted to reconcile this massive cognitive dissonance and it's still unpalatable.

Characters without internal Consistency may as well be robots that Blizzard moves around to make whatever banal plot they want to make work. It's always been a problem, but now it's extending to entire questlines. And it's not even a mistake-it's deliberate.

They don't care about story or characters. They make endpoints and move everything else to make it meet that endpoint with no regard to what came before.

How can I care about character who change so drastically? The person I may come to like may change within the span of a patch to suit their needs with no due dilligence on their part. And now that same blase approach to characters is leaking out into the questlines themselves.

Use whatever weak analogues to reality you want. It won't matter because there's no reality that changes as they forget or deliberately omit character traits and canon to drag along.
Not to dispute your main point, and while you are certainly right about Garona and Voss, I would argue that Sylvanas’ trajectory changed to embracing Undeath clear back in Cataclysm and quite necessarily as the vendetta that defined her trajectory was quite resolved, and quite naturally too. I imagine anyone would find undeath preferably to Hell.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:

Have you seen people in real life with behavior issues?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:39 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Good news, MyMindWontQuiet posted on the discord that Garona has new dialogue. She explains Sylvanas has forced her to serve the Horde against her will, and that stuff about being eager to kill another king is an act so that Sylvanas won't question her loyalty.

She's also against the Alliance/Horde war in general, and warns the player that there's "only one war that matters. And it's not this one."

Old 06-23-2018, 02:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:52 PM

Arch-Druid

On the one hand it's good, because now Garona hasn't done a complete 180 out of nowhere. On the other hand one more thing for Horde players to feel the opposite of faction pride about.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:04 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

It really feels like the devs are having another debate over what direction to take Sylvanas in like they did with Garrosh, except this time they're communicating with each other so instead of having inconsistent stuff left in by accident, we're watching the tug of war being implemented with each build.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

IF we’re in the market for a new War Chief, I’m beginning to think perhaps Garona might not be a bad choice. She’s quite intelligent and given how much time she spent with the Shadow Council I’m sure she’s picked up a thing or two about government. She’d be a strong statement with her appointment, yet she’s also perfectly capable of and interested in peace. She’s getting on in years, so maybe it’s time she hung up her daggers (perhaps in someone’s spine) and took up a management position. My main interest in her is that she’s an iconic character who has been a part of Warcraft since the very beginning.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Have you seen people in real life with behavior issues?
There you go doing exactly what I said not to because

Quote:
Good news, MyMindWontQuiet posted on the discord that Garona has new dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Lo and behold. Only a few hours difference and there has been 3 different Garonas.

Do I have to go over how Aggra had a baby within the span of a few months due to this same issue of Blizzard constantly changing characters?

They are terrible at Verisimilitude and are only getting worse. Fuck out of here with this "Behaviour issues" Bullshit.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft