Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 05:15 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Another thought. With all this death stuff, the fact that Traveler book 2 brought up Mueh'zala for the first time since vanilla, characterized him as very power and and very evil Death Loa (with no relation to Bwonsamdi), and there's a shrine to him in Tal'Farrak in Zuldazar... I have to wonder if he'll have some role to play in whatever this death stuff is leading to.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:55 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Is that Tandred Proudmoore in the Kul Tiras finale? I wonder if he’s as ready to forgive Jaina as Katherine is.

New theory: Thrall returns to aid the Champions of Azeroth in brokering peace and redirecting everyone’s efforts towards saving Azeroth. Tandred may or may not be able to forgive Jaina, but is no where near ready to forgive Thrall and tries to kill him, and gets way in over his head (probably against Aggra, since Thrall isn’t himself these days). This time, Jaina doesn’t stand aside, and ends up killing Thrall to save her brother
Given his in-game dialogue I think he's honestly just there as a joke/easter egg.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:31 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peger View Post
Given his in-game dialogue I think he's honestly just there as a joke/easter egg.
He has a memorial in Boralus, saying he died at sea during a terrible storm. Which makes his appearance in the finale quest with no one remarking him suddenly being alive make even less sense than being an easter egg.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:29 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
He has a memorial in Boralus, saying he died at sea during a terrible storm. Which makes his appearance in the finale quest with no one remarking him suddenly being alive make even less sense than being an easter egg.
Have you seen the cinematic? It does explain how is he alive.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:57 AM

Loremaster

So...unfortunately I find myself feeling like Boralus is kind of a garbage capital city. Nothing stands out or "looks like anything," so there's no sense of purpose to any of the buildings that actually house NPC's I regularly react with. Consequently, instead of actually knowing where quest turn-in NPC's are - i.e. "I know where the Violet Tower is when I'm in Dalaran because I actually know where it is, and not because I have to open my map to find it," I keep having to rely on minimap markers to find my way back to Taelia, Genn, etc. Anything I actually interact seems to be in such-and-such nondescript hall in a nondescript building down some nondescript stairs, that looks like all the other halls, buildings and stairs around it.

Also this Mission Table really feels like frankly an afterthought. I get them not wanting people to feel obligated to "live" next to the Mission Table again, but this time it feels like they merely had to have something ongoing to remind you there's a faction war on while questing, so they put it in there while not really bothering with any real buildup or anything, like throwing a bone to any players who like the mechanic exclusively for its interface. You're just told "here it is, and Falstad's arbitrarily your first champion for some reason. Oh yeah, Falstad's here with you. Forgot to mention that before making him your first champion. So there you go."

(Oh, and apparently Anduin goes all the way to Kul Tiras so he can talk to the player for twenty seconds on the ship, then declare that he's gotta get back to Stormwind. Okay...why was he needed for that?)

I'm trying to enjoy exploring the new zones, but there's just something...off about them. The pacing is extremely weird, rushing headlong into some things while belaboring others for no apparent reason. Characters who get introduced, then "shockingly" killed or corrupted never feel like they really got settled in with the player enough to develop enough personality to justify the intended drama behind their fates. Stormsong Valley in particular escalates so quickly that I honestly had a hard time remembering at which point things transitioned from wondering what's even going on to "suddenly we've got a reputation faction on our side." Each set of quests is over so quickly and so suddenly that I never really get settled into appreciating any environments before I'm tossed onto Taelia's gryphon again or told to hop onto a ferry to the next area.

And I've gotta be honest, it feels extremely weird to finally start having serious attention put toward Azshara, and not have any of the night elf cast involved. Yeah, yeah, people can complain and bitch about Malfurion and Tyrande being overexposed between Legion and the Burning of Teldrassil, but frankly it's just bizarre when a character finally drops her name in what's clearly meant to be this big "oh shit" reveal and the player is quite possibly the only person present who really has a solid idea of who Azshara is and what her involvement means. And since the player never seems to volunteer information when he/she should, I guess our allies will have to go Google Azshara's backstory themselves.

The witch covens in Drustvar kinda work; the witches themselves are all pretty disposable and interchangeable, being either stereotypical cackling halloween-type witches or basically banshees with meat still on their bones. In the end their menace is undermined for me by the fact that their necromancy, summoning and animation magics are all pretty amateurish compared to the stuff we've seen WoW's bigger, nastier enemies pull off. It's hard to take seriously the grand proclamations of a bunch of rustics doing piecemeal what we've faced the Scourge, Burning Legion and Twilight's Hammer doing on a gargantuan industrialized scale. Their wicker golems feel like more evil controlled Ancients, and their haphazardly cobbled-together corpse soldiers end up looking like try-hard ghouls. Drust kinda work in their own way, except when it comes down to it we never really see any actual Drust in action, since they're all dead and the only one with any real presence is Gorak Tul. The rest are nothing but this nebulous idea who are such non-entities beyond apparently inhabiting some of the wicker constructs that I'm not even sure if a single one actually gets named. Like they're deliberately avoiding any suggestion that the Drust themselves matter or that we should wonder who they really were and what they were really like while still alive beyond "they were bad."

I'm just really not feeling a lot of unified direction behind this. Kul Tiras doesn't feel cohesive. There's no sense of "this is why I'm here" carrying throughout because it so quickly backburners the player's real reason for being there that I honestly forget there's even an Alliance ship anchored in Boralus. Even within the zones there's an issue of lacking larger narrative; while I'd been spoiled about a lot of things and therefore had some idea of what was coming, it felt strange how playing through most of Drustvar, it all felt like a bunch of tiny errands when suddenly *BAM* "Oh yeah, I guess this place has local rulers and we're at their city now and somehow this bustling city is packed full of these witches that the rest of the whole zone didn't know existed until their wickermen started kicking doors down. Kinda forgot because along the way hardly anyone seems to mention any Waycrests who aren't Lucille."

Not a huge fan of the Heart of Azeroth system either. There's just something underwhelming about getting a new piece of armor, then having to stand around Shift-Right Clicking back-and-forth to figure out which is "better." I know it's just conditioning at this point, but when I pull out a piece of new gear and it has no secondary stats, part of my brain keeps telling me it's DE or vendor trash. It just feels like a more convoluted, less interesting, and all-around inferior approach to the Artifact system in Legion.

Plus it doesn't even try to make sense; Legion worked around the seeming arbitrary presence of Artifact Power compatible with every Artifact being in every loot table by the story implying that our weapons' forges/altars/etc. could basically "filter" or otherwise convert all kinds of magic into what was needed, but it just feels dopey to assume that bosses and questgivers on Zandalar and Kul Tiras are carrying around helms, chestpieces and shoulder armor that just so happen to be specifically designed to interlock with the Heart of Azeroth, an object they really shouldn't even know exists.

Last edited by ARM3481; 08-17-2018 at 03:16 AM..
Old 08-17-2018, 03:33 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Watch this https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comment..._this_week_eh/

BTW the Heart of Azeroth and Azerite traits remind me of Final Fantasy materias. A really interesting gameplay element.

Last edited by Krainz; 08-17-2018 at 03:37 AM..
Old 08-17-2018, 06:54 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
So...unfortunately I find myself feeling like Boralus is kind of a garbage capital city. Nothing stands out or "looks like anything," so there's no sense of purpose to any of the buildings that actually house NPC's I regularly react with. Consequently, instead of actually knowing where quest turn-in NPC's are - i.e. "I know where the Violet Tower is when I'm in Dalaran because I actually know where it is, and not because I have to open my map to find it," I keep having to rely on minimap markers to find my way back to Taelia, Genn, etc. Anything I actually interact seems to be in such-and-such nondescript hall in a nondescript building down some nondescript stairs, that looks like all the other halls, buildings and stairs around it.
I can't agree with this. Sure, the building has nothing special, but it's the (whatever word for the place you need to check in when arriving in the country).

I don't find myself having any problems to navigate in the port. Sure, the slums and the huge commoner areas outside of it are still a challenge for now, but the port itself is easy enough to locate things, and the whole city is amazingly detailed.

Quote:
Also this Mission Table really feels like frankly an afterthought. I get them not wanting people to feel obligated to "live" next to the Mission Table again, but this time it feels like they merely had to have something ongoing to remind you there's a faction war on while questing, so they put it in there while not really bothering with any real buildup or anything, like throwing a bone to any players who like the mechanic exclusively for its interface. You're just told "here it is, and Falstad's arbitrarily your first champion for some reason. Oh yeah, Falstad's here with you. Forgot to mention that before making him your first champion. So there you go."
I'm liking that the mission table is entirely optional so far. I do agree that we should have gotten a proper introductions to the team we are working with. Alleria is there, Aysa is there, Falstad is there. I'd like to have them talk more.

(Alleria has different text if you are a void elf BTW. She congratulates your ascension through Alliance ranks and talk a little about the challenge of controlling the whispers. I wonder what she says if you are not a void elf, thought.)

Quote:
(Oh, and apparently Anduin goes all the way to Kul Tiras so he can talk to the player for twenty seconds on the ship, then declare that he's gotta get back to Stormwind. Okay...why was he needed for that?)
That bothered me as well.

But there are the portals just next room, so maybe it was just a case of the royal mages sending him for a quick meeting.

Quote:
(Talking about the zones)
Blizzard is aiming at small-scale adventure this time. We are not saving the world, we are a small team that arrived in country and are trying to help the locals with their problems. Most of our activities in the country are done on our own, without a huge faction network supporting you.

Under that perspective, it makes sense that the threats are small.

Personally, I'm not finding myself particularly invested in the storylines. The best by far is the port one in Tiragarde, in which you find squids mind-controlling people and end with a big fight against a huge kraken. I think it was the one I got invested the most.

I've done the entirety of Tiragarde, I still need to finish Drustvar (two chapters left) and I've done only the main storyline in Stormsong (the four chapters that show the corruption of the Tidesages and introduce the menace of Azshara). I find a lot of the stories pointless (the resort or the hunting lodge in Tiragarde, for instance), but that's just my taste. I've seen people praising the questing.

Azshara so far has just been name dropped by the tidesages, so it makes sense that so far no big name characters related to her have appeared. I'm betting she will get a bigger storyline in 8.1. We should get news about it in Gamescom next week.

Quote:
Not a huge fan of the Heart of Azeroth system either. There's just something underwhelming about getting a new piece of armor, then having to stand around Shift-Right Clicking back-and-forth to figure out which is "better." I know it's just conditioning at this point, but when I pull out a piece of new gear and it has no secondary stats, part of my brain keeps telling me it's DE or vendor trash. It just feels like a more convoluted, less interesting, and all-around inferior approach to the Artifact system in Legion.

Plus it doesn't even try to make sense; Legion worked around the seeming arbitrary presence of Artifact Power compatible with every Artifact being in every loot table by the story implying that our weapons' forges/altars/etc. could basically "filter" or otherwise convert all kinds of magic into what was needed, but it just feels dopey to assume that bosses and questgivers on Zandalar and Kul Tiras are carrying around helms, chestpieces and shoulder armor that just so happen to be specifically designed to interlock with the Heart of Azeroth, an object they really shouldn't even know exists.
I've disliked so far the HoT system. I'm more annoyed than excited when I get a new piece of azerite gear. I got two new pieces that are the same ilvl and have almost the same old options of my current gear, but require more HoT leveleing to unlock them. Why? Even when I've leveled the artifact enough, they won't be better than my current gear, so I couldn't understand that at all.

The artifact weapon felt like you were always making it better. Azerite gear makes me feel like it's a new Reforge system, but clunkier.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 08-17-2018 at 07:02 AM..
Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I'm hyped for the culture, but not so much for the models.

There's nothing really wrong with them, but they just don't fulfil the "monster hunters" fantasy they were advertised as for me.

I'd rather play a Kul Tiran that looks like Jaina, and be some kind of Tide-sage/-mage. (Of course, I could simply play a Stormwind human to achieve the same, but sometimes you just wish you could give your human characters a Kul Tiran or Gilnean accent.)
I'm more or less in agreement. I like the big boi model but at the same time I really want to play a Human that looks more like Jack Sparrow. I would have expected the nation with a lot of pirate themes would have let me be able to play that concept, but instead the only option I get is Bluto from Popeye.

I still want to hope the devs will have a surprise for us in regards to Kul Tirans but even that hope is waning.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Hippogryph

I have a feeling that Blizzard wants to destroy all the capital cities except SW and Org.

So, how would you all react if in an upcoming patch, the draenei evacuate Azurmyst on the Exodar(with Velen and a handful of draenei remaining behind). But a forsaken sneaks aboard, sabotaging the controls, causing it to crash on Ironforge, killing all the dwarves there and draenei on the ship. Anduin attacks Silvermoon, but the Blood Elves evacuate and blow up the sunwell rather then let the alliance have it, leaving Quel'thalas a blasted wasteland. The few remaining dwarves blow up Thunder Bluff, killing all the tauren there. Then something something old gods something Azshara gains some sort of power and demonstrates it by sinking Kul'Tiras, Zandalar, The Broken Isles, and Bilgewater Harbor under the waves?

This would all be phased of course.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:23 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default From Reignac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
I have a feeling that Blizzard wants to destroy all the capital cities except SW and Org.

So, how would you all react if in an upcoming patch, the draenei evacuate Azurmyst on the Exodar(with Velen and a handful of draenei remaining behind). But a forsaken sneaks aboard, sabotaging the controls, causing it to crash on Ironforge, killing all the dwarves there and draenei on the ship. Anduin attacks Silvermoon, but the Blood Elves evacuate and blow up the sunwell rather then let the alliance have it, leaving Quel'thalas a blasted wasteland. The few remaining dwarves blow up Thunder Bluff, killing all the tauren there. Then something something old gods something Azshara gains some sort of power and demonstrates it by sinking Kul'Tiras, Zandalar, The Broken Isles, and Bilgewater Harbor under the waves?

This would all be phased of course.
Exodar and Silvermoon? I'm all for their status quo changing.

But I don't see any reason to do anything with Ironforge and Thunderbluff.

Even if Blizzard wants to reduce their importance, they can be kept as secondary less important capitals. They do no harm and have no major dangling storyline looming over them to justify their destruction.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 08-17-2018, 02:28 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Looks like Warbringers: Azshara is all but guaranteed to be shown at Gamescom. So I'd say it's also pretty likely that we'll also see our first glimpses at 8.1 and the Azshara raid.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:28 PM

Troubadour

How can someone possibly not like this place is just beyond me.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:10 PM

Arch-Druid

I do agree that Azerite Armor is a huge downgrade from Artifacts. Artifacts felt personal, they had stories tied to them, interesting traits, and were with you forever. Azerite Armor is obtained like any other piece of gear, constantly getting replaced, and every piece has the same stuff on it.

However Boralus is everything I ever wanted in a city. I just wish there was more reason to go to parts besides the harbor and keep, like how Atal'dazar has its trainers and everything more spread out instead of all inside the palace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
The Tidesages one reminds me of Unbroken and how Nobundo became a shaman.

Last edited by Asterisk; 08-17-2018 at 05:17 PM..
Old 08-17-2018, 06:56 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Sylvanas is pure evil. That doesn't make the Horde as a whole morally black.
The Horde as a whole is morally black. Or at this point, it's so deep a grey it may as well be. At this stage of the game, they're at the very least complicit.

Of course it's mostly because of the engineering of Blizzard writing, but it remains that Good men in the horde do nothing while Lich Queen runs the show, or otherwise capitulate to her orders.

How long that will go on remains to be seen, but that we're right back where we were with A second garrosh is nauseating after all the narrative strain they put on the "this can never happen again."

So consider me thoroughly unconvinced that the Horde is "Morally Grey."
Old 08-17-2018, 06:59 PM

Sha of Disappointment

I've been doing some visits to Kul Tiras on my Tauren; still levelling a new human for BFA but i have to say i vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaastly prefer KT to Zandalar. Wish it had dinos and turtle-people too though. Kul Tiras strikes me as one giant Howling Fjord, i like that.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:13 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
How can someone possibly not like this place is just beyond me.

Fair enough. Unfortunately, I'm in a time zone where when I play (i.e. by the time I get home from work), it's nighttime in Kul Tiras and everything in Boralus looks dark and "samey" to me.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

I will probably get the maghar by Thursday-sunday next week
Old 08-17-2018, 09:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

https://www.wowhead.com/news=286525/...ance-and-horde

So we know that the Horde story theme was going to be about honor vs. loyalty and the clash of values that come with that, but it looks like both Krainz and Deicide were right in that the Alliance's story theme is going to be about both unity and justice vs. vengeance.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Red face

So i hit 120 yesterday and i'm still questing through Vol'dun before going into the "endgame", such as it is; i have a question though, regarding Magni and the Heart Of Terrible Design Decisions - does the, uh, Battle for AZEROTH at some point remember that Azeroth is literally dieing?
Old 08-18-2018, 01:47 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
So i hit 120 yesterday and i'm still questing through Vol'dun before going into the "endgame", such as it is; i have a question though, regarding Magni and the Heart Of Terrible Design Decisions - does the, uh, Battle for AZEROTH at some point remember that Azeroth is literally dieing?
I handwaved that away, what with the Titans being cosmic lifeforms, which means cosmic timescales, which means the "dieing" part probably takes a few thousand years at minimum.
So while we have to prevent Azeroth from dieing, we still have plenty of time to do that, from a mortal's perspective.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 08-18-2018, 01:51 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
Mate it's literally release patch. You remind me of the people going crazily impatient about what happened on the Broken Shore during Legion's release patch, or even about Gul'dan. There are lots of content to come.

I got this from an island expedition:

Last edited by Krainz; 08-18-2018 at 01:54 AM..
Old 08-18-2018, 03:58 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Undead Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
I handwaved that away, what with the Titans being cosmic lifeforms, which means cosmic timescales, which means the "dieing" part probably takes a few thousand years at minimum.
So while we have to prevent Azeroth from dieing, we still have plenty of time to do that, from a mortal's perspective.
And yet Magni got his diamonds in a twist about a single little force field or whatever breaking instantly killing her. She might be a big girl but she was impaled with a sword the size of Road Island, too. That's not a flesh wound. Clearly bad enough to have your personal stone dwarf hand out lame artifacts to everyone who's not asking.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:04 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
And yet Magni got his diamonds in a twist about a single little force field or whatever breaking instantly killing her. She might be a big girl but she was impaled with a sword the size of Road Island, too. That's not a flesh wound. Clearly bad enough to have your personal stone dwarf hand out lame artifacts to everyone who's not asking.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:37 AM

Eternal

They just HAD to make their stupid war campaign a requirement for unlocking world quests, didn't they?
Sometimes i really fucking hate Blizz...
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft