Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 AM

Demon Hunter

Default What could possibly be the reason behind the delay for "In the Shadow of the Sun"?

We know it's based on that short story that won the short story contest. Whether it's going to be more or less the same in terms of content though we can't tell since we don't know if any specific details will be changed and to what degree if so.

But I've been wondering about the time period it deals with. That story was set prior to events of Wrath of the Lich King. The stories that we have gotten so far all deal with events prior to or during the Cataclysm. Wouldn't that be kind of old lore in a sense even if some of the details are changed? And what do you think could possibly be the reason for the delay in this short story if the name is the same and most of the content already written down? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but I need to know soon. I'm a sucker for Blood Elf lore and I could sure about use some more atm
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Arch-Druid

They're probably just milking its release date out a bit. Afaik it's not getting any major changes.

Then again, it should be any day now.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
They're probably just milking its release date out a bit. Afaik it's not getting any major changes.

Then again, it should be any day now.
Pretty much this.

They just save the stories for when they believe it's good to release them, nothing more.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Actually I kinda doubt they're just gonna leave it as is.

Probably no major changes, though.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

They're releasing it last (probably) for two reasons:

One: We've already read it
Two: Lor'themar's a goddamn nobody.

Why rush to release something that's already readily available? Sure, it'll be edited a bit but I doubt they'd completely ruin Sally's story, so anyone who wants to read it can go look it up.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

They release the stories monthly so you have a 1 in 2 chance of it being this month. And what Oma said.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:10 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Yeah, I think they're just staggering the releases. I'd be surprised if they haven't made whatever changes they're going to make at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
They release the stories monthly so you have a 1 in 2 chance of it being this month. And what Oma said.
I'd give it a good 80% chance here. It's been Horde---->Alliance---->Horde by turns every time now.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Demon Hunter

That still doesn't answer why the story is set prior to the WotlK storyline though. Really hope there's more to it than that else it would have been quite pointless to release this story separately when it's more or less the same thing we've been fed before.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Arch-Druid

It's like Oma said; sadly, he's a nobody. Canonizing this at least gives him the solid characterization that he's been sorely lacking, and thus a base to work from if they ever bother to utilize him in the narrative... slim chance as that may be.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Banished

Velen's is going to be next.

The pattern is clear. Honestly, I can't be the only person to see that they've been going back and forth across that little chart they have.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Demon Hunter

Yah I guess you have a point Zael. Moving a bit off topic though, now that we've had almost all of the stories released, how would you rank them all in terms of presentation, lore, character development and overall enjoyment?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarfin View Post
Yah I guess you have a point Zael. Moving a bit off topic though, now that we've had almost all of the stories released, how would you rank them all in terms of presentation, lore, character development and overall enjoyment?
Cut Short is the best, and I'll slice whoever says otherwise in twain with a length of super-heated wire.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarfin View Post

1.Cut Short
2.Edge of Night
3.Fire and Iron
4.Blood of our Fathers
5.Heart of War
6.Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
7.Lord of His Pack
8.Seeds of Faith
9.The Judgement

10. Some words I scrawled in the stall of a public restroom.

11. As Our Fathers Before Us.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Arch-Druid

1. Edge of Night
2. In the Shadow of the Sun (unedited)
3. Heart of War
4. Cut Short
5. Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
6. Lord of his Pack
7. Blood of our Fathers
8. The Judgment
9. Seeds of Faith
10. As our Fathers Before Us

Lochnar has the right idea with that last one. Just... yeah.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:25 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Cut Short is the best, and I'll slice whoever says otherwise in twain with a length of super-heated wire.

No.

In the Shadow of the Sun is the best. You can try cutting me with whatever you like, but if it wasn't for that one, the whole Leaders short story segments would never have come about. It's still the best, too.

The Three Hammers was the #2. It was clever, it was touching, and it felt real and realistic. It also gave some real characterization to Kurdran and Moira and Muradin

Gelbin's I was originally going to put at #4, but decided that the quality of the writing was enough to outweigh the bareness of substance. It was a nice boost to him, personally, and there was a lot of strong writing and creativity in there. It just didn't give enough to the gnomes or the lore at large to prop it up higher.

Genn's story was also good, and hits #4. It added to the plot, explored the lore and history, and gave life to what was, once upon a time, a very grey character (pun intended)

Garrosh's story gets in on the front half of the pack. Sarah Pine's work again, and it was well done. Unfortunately, even the best writers can't seem to wring a good story or wring a memorable character out of Garrosh.

Sylvanas' story pops in here. It kept one's attention and was mildly interesting, it just opened up too many questions and inconsistencies, and it edited out of history one of lore's greatest scenes: her confrontation with Garrosh at the Forsaken High Command.

Gallywyx's story isn't really bad, it's just not much of a story. It does, at least, give us some history on another blank character, and its mildly humorous, there just isn't a whole lot going on.

Vol'jin's story drops down here, below the halfway line. Still a good read, but it didn't do him justice. With his recent boost in popularity after the Echo Isles and his confrontations with Garrosh, it seems like there would have been a ton of more interesting plotlines to write about.

Velen's story, I predict, will appear here. Not overtly bad, just not exciting, creative, or important.

Varian's story, unfortunately, was also nothing special. It felt like a forgotten extra issue to the comic: a bit of dialogue, a bit of angst, and a lot of gratuitous yet boring violence.

Tyrande's story barely avoids the last place spot. It's degrading to the character, mildly offensive to women in general, it takes the her backwards in development, and contributes near to nothing to the lore. It's also not very well written.

The Baine story is dead last. It's practically unreadable, like worse than bad, uninspired fanfiction.

Last edited by Al'Akir; 11-03-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

1 Edge of Night
2 Heart of War
3 Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
4 Blood of our Fathers
5 Cut Short
6 Lord of His Pack
7 Fire and Iron
8 The Judgement
9 Seeds of Faith
10 As Our Fathers Before Us

I did not like Cut Short. Sorry.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Damn it, now I have to go back and play through the new Tauren start just so I can make a decent Baine fanfic.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Demon Hunter

1. in the shadow of the sun (unedited)
2. fire and iron
3. heart of war
4. cut short
5. edge of night, lord of his pack, trade secrets of a trade prince
6. seeds of faith, the judgement
7. blood of our fathers
8. every fanfic ever
9. as our fathers before us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al'Akir View Post
No.

In the Shadow of the Sun is the best. You can try cutting me with whatever you like, but if it wasn't for that one, the whole Leaders short story segments would never have come about. It's still the best, too.
yes! someone agrees. sarah pine is incredible and lor'themar's story was the greatest of all of these. thank you.

Last edited by Nimbosa; 11-03-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbosa View Post
8. every fanfic ever
9. as our fathers before us
Hey now.

I completely understand your inclination toward As Our Fathers Before Us, but...that's real nasty can of worms your opening, saying something like that.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Hey now.

I completely understand your inclination toward As Our Fathers Before Us, but...that's real nasty can of worms your opening, saying something like that.
fanfics don't come with that horrific realization of "oh my god this is canon".
Old 11-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Huntress

I'd like to make a list myself, but to do it fairly I'd have to go read all those stories again. All ... those ... stories.

(Cut Short was pretty cool though.)
Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbosa View Post
fanfics don't come with that horrific realization of "oh my god this is canon".
This is true. "Oh god someone prefers this to canon" or "thinks this makes sense" is about the worst you get with fanfic.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:58 PM

Hypersensitive

In The Shadow of The Sun is the only one I've read multiple times. And as others have said, one of the few chances to get any sort of insight on Bob.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:07 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I will simply say Lord of His Pack, Edge of Night, Cut Short, and Fire and Iron were my most favorites, after that I thought Blood of Our Fathers was okay too. Didn't really enjoy the rest of them.