Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
I will simply say Lord of His Pack, Edge of Night, Cut Short, and Fire and Iron were my most favorites, after that I thought Blood of Our Fathers was okay too. Didn't really enjoy the rest of them.
I prefer trade secrets of a trade prince to lord of his pack
Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 PM

Druid of the Talon

1. Cut Short
2. Edge of Night
3. Blood of Our Fathers
4. Lord of His Pack, Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
5. Heart of War
6. The Judgement
7. As Our Fathers a-blahh-blahh...
Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Dryad

Forgot about Shadow of the Sun. I'd rate somewhere between Blood of our Fathers and Heart of War.....

It's very well written and does show a lot of insight into Lorth'remar and the Blood Elves....on the other hand though I couldn't help but actually ROOT for Sylvanas reading it. The BE came off as whiny entitled douches to me.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I'd say probably:

1. Cut Short
2. Fire and Iron
3. Edge of Night
4. Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
5. Lord of his Pack
6. Heart of War
7. Blood of our Fathers
8. Judgement
9. As Our Fathers Before Us
10. Seeds of Faith

I'm holding off on reading In the Shadow of the Sun because Sarah Pine did say that there are some minor edits being done to it, so the current version probably isn't indicative of its quality. n
Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 AM

World Builder

Runes

1. Cut short

2. Trade Secrets

3. Edge of Night

4. Fire and Iron

5.. Heart of War

6. Lord of His Pack

7. Varians' story.

8. Lor'themar's story

9. Tyrande and Malfurion's story.

10. Vol'jins story.

11. Baine's story.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM

Elune

1. Fire and Iron
2. Cut Short
3. Edge of Night
4. Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
5. Lord of his Pack
6. Blood of our Fathers
7. Heart of War
8. Judgement
9. As Our Fathers Before Us
10. Seeds of Faith
Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Demon Hunter

what is with people liking "cut short"? it's well-written and amusing, but at the end of the day it adds nothing to lore and it also makes mekkatorque look pretty stupid in retrospect. if he knew thermaplugg was a really crappy engineer, there's no way he wouldn't have checked the radiation numbers himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochnar View Post
It's very well written and does show a lot of insight into Lorth'remar and the Blood Elves....on the other hand though I couldn't help but actually ROOT for Sylvanas reading it. The BE came off as whiny entitled douches to me.
wanting time to recover after a war instead of being used as pawns in sylvanas's personal vendetta = whiny entitled douches? ok
Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbosa View Post
what is with people liking "cut short"? it's well-written and amusing,
That is why people like it. And it does add some lore, Thermaplugg is either dead or stranded without legs in Gnomeregan, and Mekkatorque is thinking about building a new open air city instead.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
That is why people like it. And it does add some lore, Thermaplugg is either dead or stranded without legs in Gnomeregan, and Mekkatorque is thinking about building a new open air city instead.
hm, maybe i just don't find gnomes very interesting.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphemialibritannia View Post
In The Shadow of The Sun is the only one I've read multiple times. And as others have said, one of the few chances to get any sort of insight on Bob.
I've opened Pandora's box, haven't I? xDDD

BOB FOREVER!

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-04-2011, 05:43 PM

Elune

1. Fire and Iron
2. Heart of War
3. Edge of Night
4. Lord of His Pack
5. Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
6. Cut Short
7. Blood of Our Fathers
8. As Our Fathers Before Us
9. The Judgment
10. Seeds of Faith
Old 11-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

1) Cut Short
2) Lord of His Pack
3) Heart of War
4) Blood of Our fathers
5) Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
6) Edge of Night
7) The Judgement
8) Fire and Iron
9) Seeds of Faith
10) As Our Fathers Before Us
Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Dryad

Quote:

wanting time to recover after a war instead of being used as pawns in sylvanas's personal vendetta = whiny entitled douches? ok
It's more the fact that they joined the Horde, are offered it's protection, and honestly expect that they won't have to do ANYTHING in return. Or that Sylvanas would get them in the Horde and ask for nothing in return. It's laughable at best, but admittedly suits the Thalassians. They're entire history with their "allies" has been one of taking as much as they can and giving very little in return.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
1) Cut Short
2) Lord of His Pack
3) Heart of War
4) Blood of Our fathers
5) Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince
6) Edge of Night
7) The Judgement
8) Fire and Iron
9) Seeds of Faith
10) As Our Fathers Before Us
Fire and Iron at 8...

Heretic
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
fanfics don't come with that horrific realization of "oh my god this is canon".
No, but some come with the realization that "Oh my god, these people walk among us right now."

Take it from someone who reads horrible fanfiction for...some reason (I hesitate to call it entertainment. Probably closer to willingly destroying my faith in humanity. Goku x Anne Frank, why do you exist?).
Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochnar View Post
It's more the fact that they joined the Horde, are offered it's protection, and honestly expect that they won't have to do ANYTHING in return. Or that Sylvanas would get them in the Horde and ask for nothing in return. It's laughable at best, but admittedly suits the Thalassians. They're entire history with their "allies" has been one of taking as much as they can and giving very little in return.
but the story doesn't say the expect to not have to do anything. they expect (or at least hope) to not have to do much for sylvanas at a time when they couldn't afford it. maybe, like so many forsaken, they were under the impression that she cares about the people she claims to care about?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Fire and Iron at 8...

Heretic
The story was good. It had little to do with the actual council or anyone on it though.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
The story was good. It had little to do with the actual council or anyone on it though.
I blame IGoD for that.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I blame IGoD for that.
I had no idea that would happen, I thought he's say something like "Falstad died during the Cataclysm and Kudran was asked to replace him".
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I had no idea that would happen, I thought he's say something like "Falstad died during the Cataclysm and Kudran was asked to replace him".
YOU RUINED EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE
Old 11-05-2011, 12:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Shadow of the Sun- I’m totally biased, though.

Fire and Iron- I didn’t think that the lack of focus on Muradin and Falstad was much of a loss…

Cut Short- My first toon was/is a gnome, so I was very surprised and happy to see them taken seriously and portrayed as having actual feelings. It supported the way I saw my own character, and it managed to make Mekkatorque a less embarrassing racial leader. There’s probably nothing they could do to make the whole nuke-your-own-city thing not stupid, but it helps to have some explanation.

Edge of Night- A few writing issues here. “Holler” is what you do when a tauren steps on your foot, not when you’re raging over the continued existence of the Lich King…but otherwise pretty good. A little disappointing that Sylvanas doesn’t really care, but there were signs of that in ROTLK.

Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince- Keep forgetting about this one. I find it difficult to place—thought it was very well written and fitting for the character, but it’s still hard to rank a humorous story about Gallywix over dramatic stories about characters I’m actually interested in.

Heart of War- I liked Garrosh’s reaction to Orgimmar. And I have a thing for side characters showing up, although it’s a bit contrived that he’d just happened to run into Krenna and Gorgonna. Hard to think of much to say here. Inconsistent Garrosh is inconsistent.

The Judgment- I thought Vol’jin and Zalazane’s friendship in this was genuinely sad and touching, but it bugs me that there was no mention of it in the actual game. It just seems like, “Hey, here’s how the Darkspear conflict could have been more interesting than one crazy guy with a bunch of mind-controlled followers. Too bad the whole thing’s already over. Oh well.”

Lord of His Pack- Liked the beginning and ending, but not the overall writing style, and the sinking ship action stuff seemed over the top. Also, I can’t get past the silliness of Mia Greymane calling her husband “Husband!” Was she in so much pain that she couldn’t remember his name, or what?

Seeds of Faith- Not that bad, but didn’t do much for Tyrande or the night elves in general. (Wait, what…I just noticed that the story is actually listed under “Tyrande & Malfurion.” Ugh.) I did like that it explained the fates of a couple of minor characters.

Blood of Our Fathers- Thought it had some decent bits. The thing with Benedictus and the locket was interesting. The rest, well…it’s been said.

As Our Fathers Before Us- Uh, yeah…

(Fanfiction…can be ten times more awesome than canon, or ten times more traumatizing. At least with canon stories, you’re somewhat less likely to find your favorite characters running around raping people. *twitch*)
Old 11-05-2011, 12:35 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
although it’s a bit contrived that he’d just happened to run into Krenna and Gorgonna.
Howso?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-05-2011, 01:09 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Howso?
Just the fact that it's such a big city, and he coincidentally runs into two people who end up being sort of important later. And they just happen to have opposing viewpoints that help put his own views in context. It might have seemed more natural if he'd argued with them at a military gathering or something. I thought the cameos in Shadow of the Sun worked better because Lor'themar had reasons to be meeting with those particular people.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:57 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
Just the fact that it's such a big city, and he coincidentally runs into two people who end up being sort of important later. And they just happen to have opposing viewpoints that help put his own views in context. It might have seemed more natural if he'd argued with them at a military gathering or something. I thought the cameos in Shadow of the Sun worked better because Lor'themar had reasons to be meeting with those particular people.
Considering they become a prominent Horde officers in the Northrend campaign after he met them, it doesn't seem that crazy to figure that Garrosh might have specifically sought them out once he became Overlord of the Warsong Offensive and given them both a chance for glory in the war against the Scourge specifically because of the nature of his encounter with them in Orgrimmar.

In other words, their later importance during WotLK is probably less a coincidence and more a deliberate result of Garrosh remembering his interaction with them.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:02 AM

Arch-Druid

1. Fire And Iron - The best, character developments, consistent with the game and quests, good writings .

2. Edge of Night - character development, consistent with the game and quests, good writings.

3. Cut Short - character development, lore and background expanding of gnomes.

4. Lord of His Pack - character development, lore and background expanding of Gilneas, consistent with the game and quests.

5. The Judgement - character development, lore and background expanding of Darkspear trolls and loas.

6. Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince - character development, lore and background expanding of goblins. And the writing style is very interesting.

7. Heart of War - Sarah Pine really did great job. Yet the whole Garrosh character development is a disaster since he is the most inconsistent character of whole game. And even a good writer cannot save him.

8. Blood of Our Fathers - Serve as the sequel of Wolfheart. Ok... I really think the the speech in the end ruins everything. It is, too long-winded, and doesn't fit a badly injured king who wasn't good at speech (and he stated he hadn't prepared it either). And I hate how the battle and spell scenario in his writing style.

9. Seeds of Faith - I think everyone understand my choice to put it at 9th...

10. As Our Fathers Before Us - worst one...

--

In the Shadow of the Sun's canon version hasn't up yet. So I am not going to rank it now. But if nothing's changed, then certainly I will rank it as the top one.

Last edited by Curll; 11-05-2011 at 02:12 AM..