Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Demon Hunter

Default NSA, GCHQ 'planted agents' into World of Warcraft, Second Life to spy on gamers

Can't say I'm surprised to hear of this but I did find it rather hilarious. One person said it best "I'm not sure what they're hoping to find, but sitting on trade chat all day will destroy their faith in humanity."

http://rt.com/news/nsa-uk-spy-world-warcraft-942/
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Your tax dollars at work...
Old 12-09-2013, 08:42 AM

Elune

BREAKING NEWS: 13 year old arrested after threatening to bomb the Pentagon on WoW trade chat.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:43 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

I kinda wish I could work for 'em, now.

(not really.)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: toffeeatoms#2825

Old 12-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DrunkenPanda#1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Your tax dollars at work...
I don't understand why there isn't more outrage about this. We're looking to cut government spending, right? Let's start with the organizations we pay to spy on ourselves. Liberals, conservatives, and independents should be jumping into bed together on this issue, but everyone just seems to be brushing this off with the age old "I have nothing to hide, so why should this bother me?"

Because you're paying for it? Because it's government waste? Because you should be concerned about your privacy? Ugh, the sheep in this country...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:41 AM

Arch-Druid

Oh the woes of passive activism

Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
I don't understand why there isn't more outrage about this.
This is pretty weird from the eyes of a foreigner. Few if no Americans at all get angry at the NSA, yet when gun control laws are proposed everyone is outraged.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:48 AM

World Builder

Runes

You'd think if these things worked we'd actually hear about them catching something, so I'm not sure how the hell these stay operational.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by belorealah View Post
Oh the woes of passive activism
Was that meant as some sort of jab...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
This is pretty weird from the eyes of a foreigner. Few if no Americans at all get angry at the NSA, yet when gun control laws are proposed everyone is outraged.
That would be because the NRA is a massive lobby capable of rallying support at the drop of a hat. Snowden's been framed as a traitor, and anti-corruption lobbies are mostly grassroots organizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
You'd think if these things worked we'd actually hear about them catching something, so I'm not sure how the hell these stay operational.
That's easy; the US government is corrupt and will continue to fund these operations as long as they frame the rhetoric correctly and bury it when the media hype dies down. In this case, focusing on Snowden being a traitor rather than eyeing such a program as wasteful, and potentially unconstitutional, spending.

Last edited by Darkwind; 12-09-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

So when Tea Party activists speak out against this kind of waste and intrusion on personal liberty, we're just racist teabags that want to enslave minorities and v*ginas or something...

Blame the totalitarian leftists!
Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Was that meant as some sort of jab...?
More poking fun!

Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
So when Tea Party activists speak out against this kind of waste and intrusion on personal liberty, we're just racist teabags that want to enslave minorities and v*ginas or something...

I've never heard leftists defend this videogame stuff hell I barely ever hear it addressed.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

The problem is that most people are focused on social issues rather than fiscal ones, including the Tea Party and Liberals. Even though I would bet there's a lot of agreement on the issue, too many people begin to switch the rhetoric to something like abortion, welfare, or marriage rights just to find reasons not to ally with someone across the aisle.

Social issues are the smokescreen used by both sides in order to not deal with the real pressing issues in this country: fiscal irresponsibility and rampant corruption.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
The problem is that most people are focused on social issues rather than fiscal ones, including the Tea Party and Liberals. Even though I would bet there's a lot of agreement on the issue, too many people begin to switch the rhetoric to something like abortion, welfare, or marriage rights just to find reasons not to ally with someone across the aisle.

Social issues are the smokescreen used by both sides in order to not deal with the real pressing issues in this country: fiscal irresponsibility and rampant corruption.
Whatever. Tea Partiers have decried Obamacare as despotic totalitarianism for years now, and the media and the left have twisted it into this war on women bullshit.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/ted-cr...rticle/2540388

And Rand Paul tried to kill the Patriot Act:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ot-act/239553/
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Whatever. Tea Partiers have decried Obamacare as despotic totalitarianism for years now, and the media and the left have twisted it into this war on women bullshit.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/ted-cr...rticle/2540388
This is why people can't take the Tea Party seriously. We start talking about spying on Americans, and yet you bring up Obamacare.

I'm not a fan of the ACA either; I wrote a fairly comprehensive paper about it in 2010 that, while applauding the nobility of the act, condemned it for forcing the Individual Mandate on everyone.

However, I feel the NSA programs are far more totalitarian than privately held, mandated health insurance. Opposition to those programs is a bipartisan issue. Opposition to the ACA is a strictly conservative issue with some independent support.

Quote:
And Rand Paul tried to kill the Patriot Act:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ot-act/239553/
Liberals and conservatives were united against the PATRIOT Act as far back as 2005: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...787r/?page=all. Nothing came of it; so much so, that the NDAA continues to pass year after year.

Instead of trying to find common ground, libs and cons try to push their own agendas against a brick wall. Everyone's taking sides, dividing the country, all because we're too busy looking for reasons to blame those godless liberals / racist teabaggers.

Last edited by Darkwind; 12-09-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Seriously.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Elune

I'm less offended by any kind of affront to liberty and more perplexed as to what they thought they'd find in these games aside from bronies (who should be arrested) furries (who should also be arrested) and Horde (who should also be arrested.)

That being said, I personally don't care about any of this surveillance because I'm a boring person with a boring life who has a tendency to toe the line. Most of the people who I've met who are freaked out by it also think that they're the vanguards of a coming revolution and that the fed is trying to stop them.

Hell, I personally see it in the same vein as the US military in that its capabilities make me feel safer.

Oh, and it's rich to see Republicans like Bolvar bitch about it when it's the Patriot act that legalized the spying.

Incidentally I don't see why people are outraged that there are agents checking places like World of Warcraft as it's not illegal and I can't think of any realistic circumstances where it would be.

Edit: Oh, lol. I just checked the link. You realize you just linked to Putin-approved Russian propaganda, right?
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.

Last edited by Fojar; 12-09-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Seriously.
I think it's because the NSA is kind of abstract, while guns are personal possessions. NSA in its current state is unlikely to target the average US citizen (though its existence sets a VERY ominous precedent). However, a gun is something in which a person is invested (often because they spent money on it), and thus they are more motivated to defend it.

Not saying I agree with this mentality, just offering an explanation.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Either they can see terrorism potential in thunderfury spam and anal jokes, or someone inside the NSA found the perfect excuse to play while working.

Last edited by Temo; 12-09-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 01:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temo View Post
Either they can see terrorism potential in thunderfury spam and anal jokes, or someone in the NSA found the perfect excuse to play while working.
It's the latter. Never underestimate human laziness.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-09-2013, 01:39 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Seriously.
Yah, I wouldn't mind knowing more on why this is so as well.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finarfin View Post
Yah, I wouldn't mind knowing more on why this is so as well.
I offered a theory earlier. The NSA is distant and unlikely to target a typical citizen, while guns are personal and something in which the gun owner has invested money, time, etc.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
I offered a theory earlier. The NSA is distant and unlikely to target a typical citizen, while guns are personal and something in which the gun owner has invested money, time, etc.
That and probably not as many people play games and are as emotionally invested as folks are to their guns? Doubt that's the case though

As a foreigner, I don't know much about the gun control debate in the US but I found this particularly illuminating not to mention hilarious:

Old 12-09-2013, 02:30 PM

Elune

If the NSA didn't spy on games then foreign and domestic criminals/terrorists would use these outlets for communication. You try to cover your tracks and conceal your information and find out the enemies. Understanding how your enemy conducts surveillance and hiding how you conduct surveillance is how that works. You want the enemy to be vulnerable and exposed to your surveillance and yourself to be hidden in secret.

The NSA also goes after things like pedophiles too.