Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 AM

World Builder

Runes Warfront Ideas

So, on the Discord, we were discussing the different types of specialties for the commanders and units and buildings we'll be seeing in the Warfronts once BFA launches.

Marthen was kind enough to quote some cool bits of info on them

Quote:
Warfronts are centered around the Arathi Highlands and surrounding zones, with the first fight being for Stromgarde. Like Warcraft 3, you'll need to build a Townhall (or Greathall for the Horde) and begin collecting resources like lumber and iron to build new structures. There's a full tech tree just like in Warcraft 3, too, so you'll build different structures that offer new units to use in the battle.
This isn't a PVP mode, so you'll be battling AI armies commanded by a specific enemy commander who has his own strategies and army composition. There's also randomized events that might pop up, like goblin merchants who will sell powerful mercenaries.
Lots of us are hoping for Dark iron golems, Revantusk trolls joining in, and more.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-04-2017, 12:08 PM

Eternal

"Surrounding area" (depending on how far that is supposed to be) makes me wish for two things:

Hinterland Warfront with Revantusk Trolls vs. Wildhammer Dwarfs

Wetlands/Twilight Highlands Warfront with Dragonmaw Orcs vs. Wildhammer Dwarfs

Former is more focused on ground combat and fighting in the forest with troll berserkers, dire trolls, witch doctors on one side and mountain kings, shamans and the like on the other.

The Second is obviously focused on aerial supremacy with Gryphons vs. Proto-Drakes.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:16 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Warfront: Ashenvale - Sentinels vs Kalimdor Horde(With Nightborne)

Warfront: Thousand Needles - Gnomeregan vs Bilgewater Cartel. Basically Gnomish Subs vs Goblin navy in the watershed zone.

Warfront: Crystalsong Forest - Sunreavers vs Silver Covenant. Magic Based.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:59 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
"Surrounding area" (depending on how far that is supposed to be) makes me wish for two things:

Hinterland Warfront with Revantusk Trolls vs. Wildhammer Dwarfs

Wetlands/Twilight Highlands Warfront with Dragonmaw Orcs vs. Wildhammer Dwarfs

Former is more focused on ground combat and fighting in the forest with troll berserkers, dire trolls, witch doctors on one side and mountain kings, shamans and the like on the other.

The Second is obviously focused on aerial supremacy with Gryphons vs. Proto-Drakes.

For the Revantusk... I think they pair well with the Forsaken and Orcs in Arathi, gives a kind of WC2 throwback feel, but with some new flavor mixed in.

Revantusk AxeThrowers, Orc Warriors, Forsaken Shadowpriests and a few horde aligned DKs...

New stuff could toss things in... Revantusk and Forsaken using Spiders, Bats, and Slimes

Revantusk and Orcs using Dire Orcs/Trolls, and working with Ogres perhaps? Old Rin'ji could be the new Witherbark leader perhaps...

EDIT:

OH I almost forgot, the Circles of Binding in Arathi, how do you think they might be handled?

I figure each faction controls one and the other two are up for grabs, or they can all change hands at time, what do yall think?

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 12-04-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 04:27 PM

Arch-Druid

I'd like to see a naval battle one, but I don't know how that'd work with the building system unless there's a bunch of mini islands to put buildings on, and at that point it doesn't feel like a naval battle.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
I'd like to see a naval battle one, but I don't know how that'd work with the building system unless there's a bunch of mini islands to put buildings on, and at that point it doesn't feel like a naval battle.
They added the Harbor/Boatyard to Garrisons in a patch to WoD, maybe... we'll see boats and such later?

A boat as a 'headquarters' feels sensible.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 12-04-2017, 05:16 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Southern barrens, northwatch astranaar (doubtful) zoramgar.

hm the darkshore stuff is likely.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 PM

Sentinel Queen

Stonetalon would be another good zone for a warfront.

I'd like to see void elves and dark irons working together in the Eastern Kingdoms with summoned and enslaved elementals and void creatures and those siege engines from WoD.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Wisp

Ashenvale seems like a no-brainer.

Other than that how about a fight over the Dark Portal to try and bring in Outland reinforcements?

Tanaris or Un'goro to try and secure a different path from the battleground to the sword and its Azurite?

Ghostlands Block (or assist) the alliance thrust that got further than expected with Void elf insider knowledge into Quel'thalas.

The Barrens, Northwatch Vs Crossroads

Feralas: The night elf refugees are rallying around Feathermoon stronghold, Protect them!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:47 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Stonetalon would be another good zone for a warfront.

I'd like to see void elves and dark irons working together in the Eastern Kingdoms with summoned and enslaved elementals and void creatures and those siege engines from WoD.
Only siege weapons from wod will be iron horde siege weapons and that means Iron Horde and that means horde.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:52 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Only siege weapons from wod will be iron horde siege weapons and that means Iron Horde and that means horde.
Mm. You're right. I misspoke. I meant these tanks:

Last edited by Mending; 12-04-2017 at 08:05 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 08:50 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embers of Darnassus View Post
Ashenvale seems like a no-brainer.
A lot of good content directions for the Night Elves seem like they should be no-brainers. That doesn't mean that they'll happen though.

I think it's telling that we haven't seen anything advertised for a Kalimdor warfront yet given how important this event is supposed to be, but it wouldn't be telling us anything new.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Eternal

I want to see a night elf warfront with all their WC3 units. That's all I ask.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:02 AM

Arch-Druid

I am really afraid of warfronts. On paper, the idea is awesome, but I fear the actual implementation. Reminds me of things like Garrison Invasions, which ended up being just a mob grind and quick reaction to events, followed by a lackluster final boss.

Worries aside, I hope we get an Ashenvale counterpart, to show that the Horde is not just chilling over night elf corpses.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-05-2017, 06:23 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I hope we get an Ashenvale counterpart, to show that the Horde is not just chilling over night elf corpses.
Not to belabor this point - but I think that's exactly why we're probably not going to get an Ashenvale warfront, and why we haven't yet seen any footage or promotional material suggesting that there will be one.

It wouldn't fit. It wouldn't fit with Blizzard's history of portraying the Night Elves, especially where the Horde is concerned, and it wouldn't fit with them wanting to make the Night Elves dependent upon and inseparable from humans.

I've also seen this movie before. Fans agitated for years in Cataclysm and MOP for updating Ashenvale content to make up for their poor presentation in the 1-60 questing experience and to clear up the prevailing (and still present) conclusion over who won the zone. They could not be bothered to even add a scenario to even the faction-based content imbalance that we saw during the Battlefield Barrens patch.

So again, don't get your hopes up. Blizzard in no way deserves the benefit of the doubt, or of hopeful expectation on this issue.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Not to belabor this point - but I think that's exactly why we're probably not going to get an Ashenvale warfront, and why we haven't yet seen any footage or promotional material suggesting that there will be one.

It wouldn't fit. It wouldn't fit with Blizzard's history of portraying the Night Elves, especially where the Horde is concerned, and it wouldn't fit with them wanting to make the Night Elves dependent upon and inseparable from humans.

I've also seen this movie before. Fans agitated for years in Cataclysm and MOP for updating Ashenvale content to make up for their poor presentation in the 1-60 questing experience and to clear up the prevailing (and still present) conclusion over who won the zone. They could not be bothered to even add a scenario to even the faction-based content imbalance that we saw during the Battlefield Barrens patch.

So again, don't get your hopes up. Blizzard in no way deserves the benefit of the doubt, or of hopeful expectation on this issue.
Truth be told, Blizzard said the only warfront planned for now is Stromgarde. They gave no hints of there being another one, so most of this thread is just speculation.

One of the reasons I think warfronts may fail is that what we've seen so far are just concept ideas presented in a mock-up trailer.

But, assuming Warfronts do end up working right and Blizzard decides to do more of them, an Ashenvale warfront would be the most logical next choice., if only to balance the faction content.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
But, assuming Warfronts do end up working right and Blizzard decides to do more of them, an Ashenvale warfront would be the most logical next choice., if only to balance the faction content.
Honestly if Warfronts are just used for the faction war that'd be a massive disappointment. Obviously the first one, maybe two, are going to be faction specific but a feature like this could have much bigger uses. Imagine if we had this now in 7.3; an AoL camp on one side of a massive, Argus battleground and the demon army forming up in the distance. Having to scavenge the battlefield for old armor, weapons and survivors, re-build the barricades and prepare for the onslaught. Or take it to BFA and imagine fending off an invading naga army, Old God minions, uh... whatever else shows up at the 11th hour etc... etc...

Once/if Blizzard gets the mechanics working it would be fairly simple to swap out the models and make new flavor text and abilities. It could, dare I say, actually make invading factions in the future feel like they're actually invading. Instead of just huddling around their tents waiting to be killed.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:55 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'd like some content to show this is a global Alliance v. Horde war and not just restricted to Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. So my first thought is a warfront somewhere in Northrend; maybe an Azerite node pops up in Sholazar or Icecrown and they have to ramp up and re-garrison all the abandoned military outposts left over from the Scourge War during WotLK. Could also do something with Grizzly Hills.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:55 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Warfronts in Northrend would be a perfect opportunity for Bolvar to cash in on. A good step prelude to a Shadowlands expansion.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:10 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I don't care where it is, I just want something that involves Worgen, Dark Irons, and Void Elves establishing a united front somewhere.

Preferably with Forsaken, Blood Elves, and maybe Darkspear Trolls as rivals.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I don't care where it is, I just want something that involves Worgen, Dark Irons, and Void Elves establishing a united front somewhere.

Preferably with Forsaken, Blood Elves, and maybe Darkspear Trolls as rivals.
Not gonna happen.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Alliance Edgelords unite!
Old 12-06-2017, 04:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Not gonna happen.
If it does then cool, but if it doesn't ahhhh wellllll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Hells yeah.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:50 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I hope this "dark side" of the Alliance to catch the Horde unguarded. The Alliance command always tried to keep the war "clean", but a joint void elf/worgen/dark iron effort could really throw a curveball against the Horde's expectations. It would be fun do see.

If it happens, of course.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:36 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Ive got a few ideas...

Warfront: Feralas. Feathermoon Stronghold vs an updated Horde port in Desolace. Can send waves of Ogre mercenaries by defeating the King in Dire Maul, and the Centaur can be hired for the right price.

Warfront: Borean Tundra. The Alliance and Horde jockey for control of the only land route into Sholazar, where Azurite has been popping up. Valiance Keep vs Warsong Hold. Bolvar is also there trying to deal with a rogue Lich, and those who earn his favour will gain powerful frost wyrms to assist them.

Warfront: Dread Wastes. Turns out the mantid were digging deep before, and Azurite has started appearing. Alliance and Horde ships rush out, and battle erupts with the old Paragons area as the centre point. A nacsent Mantid Queen will direct her remaining forces to assist whichever faction offers the largest tribute.

Warfront: Tol Barad. Naval battle between Alliance and Horde as the two to secure another route into Gilneas and the Northern Eastern Kingdoms.

Warfront: Quel'thelas. Alleria seeks to gain control of the gate into the Ghostlanda, which will ideally lead To forcing Silvermoon to surrender. Halduron has been commanded to stop the Alliance incursion. Subterfuge can lead the surviving Amani to attack either the attacking Alliance or the defending Horde (since both sides are Elves).
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"

Tags
speculation, world of warcraft