Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 09-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Well, it would explane where the Gronns come from - they're simply the "pure" Ogers. Then the females died out because.... Medivh did it.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
I'm not sure where I read it, but I recall seeing something somewhere about Ogre society being widespread and populous due to the fact they were parthenogenetic males and the few females there were were capable of standard sexual reproduction and generated unique organisms, ie "true" Ogres... so while the Ogres we know and love are fat bastards, that's due to their weak biology and circumstances of creation. They crawled out of their "dad's" shit.

So while it's a great loophole that explains the wild rash of male Ogres all over Azeroth and Outland, and allows for Ogrezons to birth playable Ogres with Cho'Gall's abs, it's a bit highbrow for WoW's general player base.
I'd love any accept explanation as to why Azeroth is populated mostly by Ogres. Dudes even got behind the Greymane wall and all over Kalimdor somehow. The unexplained over use of Ogres raises some pretty big questions, it's almost as if the Horde was composed entirely of Ogres and some Ettin and we some how forgot that major detail. It's bothered me ever since Diremaul and it's never gotten any better. The total lack of females makes it even harder to swallow.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Druid of the Claw

It seems the Ogres in Ogri'la have ascended past their primitive way of leadership choosing. And seems more like a council centered now, as it looks their leader is the wisest of them all.

Also about Ogre parentage, all of Torkus sons are two headed. And he actually suggest you to buy them, which maybe imply that there's more offspring than we think, therefor more females.

(Btw, did anyone theorize about the link between Kaja'mite and Apexis Shards and old gods ? Also apparently these crystals can "talk" to these ogres and sooth them. )

Last edited by Dorban; 09-25-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Old 09-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorban View Post
I'll quote the Warchief in that matter:
"Get off my ship!"

On a more constructive notice:
The Ogres are already in, they just need to be elaborated as playable.
So far we've got 3 clans under the banner, which are Dunemaul,Stonemaul,and the enslaved Dreadmaul.

If they'll be playable I hypothesize they'll be somewhat under Apexis influence,leaded by either a Mok'Nathal(because that looks the trend nowdays), or that Draz'zilb (or Tharg) guy.
I once had an idea where the playable Apexis pure arakkoa where ghosts, and possessed ogres to fight.

But I prefer arakkoa not being ghosts and ogres being their own race, although I might see them working together somehow.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorban View Post

Finally a talk that makes sense. (Though, if they wont be Horde aligned I'll be hyper pissed.)
And by 'makes sense' you mean 'agrees with you'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Maybe during an Ogres puberty they grow a second head and then eventually just split into two one headed Ogres which is why they maintain a large body mass. Or they are like worms, every time we kill a two headed Ogre, we split them into two one headed ogres when they respawn. Coming soon Cho'thun and C'Gall...
Old 09-25-2011, 01:34 PM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Welcome to this conversation in which we are discussing the Ogre's being part of the society. I question if you read any posts here at all...
The argument started with Blood Elves' apparent 'hate' for ogres being a problem for them entering the ranks of the Horde (stated by Lon-ami).

I said that ogres were a minor part in Horde's forces at the time, and they would not be a political power that somehow undermind the inclusion of the Elves.

And what was that with me "not reading the posts"?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Shouldn't be too long before we get a big leak from Bibi at mmo ;P
Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Blizzcon is in less than a month, there have been no other trademark filings and so we can now be even more cemented in belief that Mists of Pandaria will be the name of the expansion. So with this in mind, I would agree with you pori, knowing that there is likely a lot of information begging to be free from Blizzard we should see some bursts of information very very soon.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrysa View Post
Blizzcon is in less than a month, there have been no other trademark filings and so we can now be even more cemented in belief that Mists of Pandaria will be the name of the expansion. So with this in mind, I would agree with you pori, knowing that there is likely a lot of information begging to be free from Blizzard we should see some bursts of information very very soon.
I don't think you realize just how pissed Blizz was at the cata leaks two years ago. They're likely keeping a far, far tighter lid on MoP or whatever the next expansion is to make sure it doesn't get spoiled before Blizzcon.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:48 PM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
The argument started with Blood Elves' apparent 'hate' for ogres being a problem for them entering the ranks of the Horde (stated by Lon-ami).
What ? I don't think that was ever debated.
Initially I suggest Ogres, and I claimed the inclusion of Blood Elves to the horde was irrational,from that point went towards me saying that they'd should have been Alliance rather than Horde, then it shifted towards racial based hatred.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I don't think you realize just how pissed Blizz was at the cata leaks two years ago.
I watched with BlizzCon with the Virtual Ticket. I remember them making a few sarcastic references to the leak, and they did not seem at all happy about it.

I mean, it was bad enough for them with the previous leaks, but the amount of bombshell reveals that they had was absolutely tremendous. And the leaks stole almost all of them. They must have been pissed off beyond measure.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I watched with BlizzCon with the Virtual Ticket. I remember them making a few sarcastic references to the leak, and they did not seem at all happy about it.

I mean, it was bad enough for them with the previous leaks, but the amount of bombshell reveals that they had was absolutely tremendous. And the leaks stole almost all of them. They must have been pissed off beyond measure.
Personally, my experience with those leaks was that it just made me that much more excited for Blizzcon to see what turned out to be true.

It got me to buy the virtual ticket, actually
Old 09-25-2011, 11:48 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Quote:
I don't think you realize just how pissed Blizz was at the cata leaks two years ago. They're likely keeping a far, far tighter lid on MoP or whatever the next expansion is to make sure it doesn't get spoiled before Blizzcon.
And I don't understand why. The leaks whipped the fan base into a frenzy. It was basically free advertising.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
And I don't understand why. The leaks whipped the fan base into a frenzy. It was basically free advertising.
It wasn't free, since they had spent all that money on Blizzcon and all of a sudden the reveals meant nothing.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:55 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
It essentially led to a flat Blizzcon, at least compared to ones from years past.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
It wasn't free, since they had spent all that money on Blizzcon and all of a sudden the reveals meant nothing.
Hardly!

We only had words. No art, no music, no images, nothing concrete. Nothing was even proven until Blizzcon. I was still giddy and enthusiastic about the reveal, I still lost my shit when the trailer mentioned Worgen and Goblins.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think the leak ruined that blizzcon for me. I mean, I totally get why they don't like the leaks; it's obnoxious and ruins a lot of the fun for them, but it definitely didn't ruin the whole thing for everyone.

Edit: You do make a fair point below me, HalfElf, I have no idea how I would have reacted if I hadn't known anything. I tend to spoil myself a lot so I'm used to knowing what to expect to a certain extent regarding a lot of things. Maybe I would have creamed myself to death had I known nothing, but my point remains true that I wasn't unhappy because I knew sort of what was coming.

Last edited by Porimlys; 09-26-2011 at 12:03 AM..
Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Personally, my experience with those leaks was that it just made me that much more excited for Blizzcon to see what turned out to be true.
The leaks made me excited, yeah, but it wouldn't have been anywhere close to how excited I would have been had I been watching the virtual ticket when I discovered them. You have no idea. Its why I make sure to watch E3 live every year even if it means going to the hellhole that is G4.

Because I swear, there are few moments in my video game related life when I have been so excited as, say, when I first saw the StarCraft 2 reveal trailer, not having heard any rumors or anything about it. It hit me out of the blue and it was like the best goddamn thing. I was literally running around just because I had so much adrenaline to burn off from watching it. It makes me sad that I spoiled the Cataclysm reveal beforehand because I know I would have flipped the fuck out, in a good way, had I not been expecting it.

Quote:
Hardly!
Absolutely. BlizzCon that year was not a place to get surprised and learn new things but to check and confirm previously held information.

Quote:

Last edited by HalfElfDragon; 09-26-2011 at 12:01 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. BlizzCon that year was not a place to get surprised and learn new things but to check and confirm previously held information.
Yeah, but meant nothing?

I think that's over stating it. I have a very distinct memory of when I first watched the Cataclysm reveal trailer after a few weeks of speculation and I had that moment of adrenaline you mentioned with sc2. I was screaming to myself with excitement.

I don't recall being any less stoked about it than I was for the WotLK release trailer, which I knew nothing about (long before I visited any of the fan websites, so I didn't hear about that leak either). And that trailer gave me chills for weeks.

Ultimately though this is a pretty silly argument to have. We're pretty much arguing personal experience and anecdotes. Hell, I don't care when where or how I hear about the next expansion; the one thing I know for sure, with 100% absolute certainty, is that I will geek out about it full blast.

Last edited by Porimlys; 09-26-2011 at 12:08 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but meant nothing?

I think that's over stating it. I have a very distinct memory of when I first watched the Cataclysm reveal trailer after a few weeks of speculation and I had that moment of adrenaline you mentioned with sc2. I was screaming to myself with excitement.
Well, see, what really got me was when I show it to my friend, who despite actually being an end-game raider at the time was completely disconnected from the news. And I got to see him get that rush and everything and honestly I was pretty jealous.

They meant nothing because they weren't reveals anymore. They were confirmations. That's an entirely different thing.

Quote:
Old 09-26-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
They meant nothing because they weren't reveals anymore. They were confirmations. That's an entirely different thing.
Perhaps, but like I said I think there was still a lot to take away from it.
I mean:

*Some words explaining parts of cataclysm in bullet point form on mmo-champion*

or

*A trailer of cataclysm pkus with an entire convention of images and information and game developers talking about it*

But again, it's a funny thing to argue over. It all comes down to personal experiences. I'm a sucker for the reveal trailers, it's just my personality and my tastes to love the pithy summations of what I should be excited for, so it's a no brainer for me to assume the trailer will garner a 1000% more excited reaction from me. The chords and narration from those trailers, which I rewatch countless times resonate within me for weeks and weeks. The first few notes of music that played in the WotLK trailer, "Bring the savage worgen into the Alliance" coupled with the grand music playing behind it. It sticks with me more than any series of words Boub could post ever will. But that's me, that's who I am, I can't speak for the whole internet! I'm super stoked on this years Blizzcon and the next expansion, I know that :3

Last edited by Porimlys; 09-26-2011 at 12:17 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 AM

Loremaster

Consider it from the standpoint of someone who wanted to surprise everyone, only to have someone else say "screw you, you shouldn't get to surprise anyone" and reveal the whole thing ahead of time. It's like some jerk telling a family member about their special birthday gift ahead of time to spite you.

I think the tendency to believe Blizz is just a soulless company leads some people to ignore the fact that it's still comprised of many people who want to turn some heads with surprising new content and aren't automatically keen to chuck all that when handed the alternative of "free advertising" in the form of their big surprise being spoiled.

Plus, this is the internet, a festering stew of self-important negativity that spews derision and contempt at every possible opportunity. For each person who was stoked to see their favorite spoiler proven true, another reacted by calling the whole thing stupid because in his head somehow Blizzard was announcing that they were going to copy the spoilers instead of doing something new.

Plenty of people are stupid like that. They see spoilers being vindicated as proof of a lack of creativity, as if somehow the developers were supposed to stop the presses and start over from scratch as soon as it leaked out.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 AM

I do get it, I do. Blizzard is probably super excited to share with us whatever they have planned. They're super passionate about what they make and it is pretty unfair for a website to take that away from them, and it's too bad when a website ruins that for them. But it doesn't ruin it for me personally.

The point of all my posts I guess, is that I'm just nerdy and optimistic so nothing ever ruins anything for me ever.

I do want to actively work towards not spoiling everything about this next expansion, though. I'm going to stay away from youtube videos of zone exploration and questing and stuff like that. I'm sticking towards official information from blizzard and maybe some images posted on MMO-Champion. I'm assured to fail horribly, but it's the thought that counts right?

Last edited by Porimlys; 09-26-2011 at 12:24 AM..
Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 AM

Hippogryph Rider

Blizzard is annoyed at MMO-Champ to the point to where they are black listed right? I know that doesn't stop boub from receiving unofficial sourced information but it does show that Blizzard does care about this a great deal when they black list the top wow fan site.

Of course I'm basing my info off something I heard around the forums, it might not be the case that they are on bad footing with Blizz.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrysa View Post
Blizzard is annoyed at MMO-Champ to the point to where they are black listed right? I know that doesn't stop boub from receiving unofficial sourced information but it does show that Blizzard does care about this a great deal when they black list the top wow fan site.

Of course I'm basing my info off something I heard around the forums, it might not be the case that they are on bad footing with Blizz.
Blizz hates MMO-Champ so much that I think it's strained their relationship with Curse to a degree.