Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 07:51 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

Default The Death of SoL

It was a fun ride while it lasted, but this place has obviously ran out of gas. Of those still here, why do you think this has happened?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:15 PM

World Builder

Runes

Not just one thing.

It's because interest in blizz has died down considerably.

It's because the forum slowed to a crawl for months.

It's because faster, more convenient programs like discord popped up.

It's because the folks here are older and busy with other things.

It's because there's not a lot of joy in the lore of warcraft anymore.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-17-2020, 11:30 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Warcraft still sparks joy for me, but otherwise, probably for the reasons stated by Sarm/Mutter.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:03 PM

Keeper of the Grove

I've heard that people don't like the look of it. The default "Uldaman" theme might have something to do with that.

I get that it's more or less traditional, but it's awful to look at.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:47 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
I've heard that people don't like the look of it. The default "Uldaman" theme might have something to do with that.

Echoes of the Past-Horde, ftw
Old 09-20-2020, 11:13 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:

You can be awful to look at.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:06 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

In my case I still like Warcraft and its lore just as much, but I saw the forum's user base had almost completely migrated to discord so I did too for awhile.

However this past year I've started to find Discord kind of exhausting, its live chatting nature fundamentally different from just making a post on a forum and coming back later to see what discussion's happened in the meantime.

At the same time I figured as an "influencer" of sorts I should share what I found on the Shadowlands alpha/beta on twitter and realized that just making a tweet with whatever I wanted to talk about and then being able to easily check what discussion occurred around it afterwards is much closer to my experience with forums than Discord.

So mostly I'm on twitter at the moment. I might shift back over to the Discord once the expansion launches. I tend to go through phases of using things.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:17 PM

Elune

There used to be common ground and joy in discussing the lore. Then the lore started to be less common ground. Then bad blood started making that common ground moot, then the forums were just filled with bile and hate, the username fractured, and then on top of that the forums shit themselves and spent months being almost unusable.

Posts being eaten, pages not loading, ect.

Eventually, discord happened and we moved over there and the superior forum method died off completely due to bad taste, just being over a broken website, and low traffic.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:35 PM

Echo of the Past

I came to the forums driven by my hatred of the Tides of Darkness novel. Eventually, World of Warcraft Volume II came out. And it totally broke my heart.

Apart from that? My Warcraft interest has always been nations and clans, history and geography of kingdoms. But the emphasis is sort of on mythology and such, at least it was when I last checked in.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:57 AM

Elune

Hey Q, long time no see.

As for the forum, I feel it is a shame how everything went down. The political issues, server issues, discord... This forum was a special little part of the internet that had a lot of value for discussion even if you got tired of Warcraft as I did. And then it was gone.

I've been on disc but it is not the same, the pace of the discussion moves far too fast for anything other than chatter. Still i have some good memories and some good friends from this place, it will be remembered.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:53 AM

Arch-Druid

Yeah, it's really mostly people getting older and using Discord now.
And the horrible loading times here.

Ironicly, Warcraft Lore became a bit more interesting again, lately.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:43 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Ironicly, Warcraft Lore became a bit more interesting again, lately.
... You poor insane soul.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-12-2020, 07:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Yea, the server issues were what made me stop checking a lot. Taking at least a minute to load a page just got to be much, especially if you missed something and needed to go back a couple of pages in a thread. Just wasn't worth it for a good bit there.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaero View Post
It was a fun ride while it lasted, but this place has obviously ran out of gas. Of those still here, why do you think this has happened?
This place was special because of the dynamic we had with one another, how we talked, how we argued, how we shared information.

Bipartisan moderation and nepotism killed that, and once it was dead, everything else crumbled afterwards.

Of course, Blizzard going down the shitter didn't help either, but the death of SoL as not just a site, but a community, began years earlier anyway. Even if Blizzard and the Warcraft franchise had been healthy and interesting, nothing here would have changed.

I still held to Warcraft III, coming back to it every once in a while. Reforged was a glimmer of hope, and I even came back to modding with an alternate second expansion idea; sadly, Reforged was an unmitigated disaster, that not only failed to make W3 relevant again, but killed what little was left of its community.

It was good while it lasted, I guess. It didn't deserve the slow agonizing death it got, that's for sure.

Anyway, I've never been a fan of Discord, but I've been using it lately. Got quite a few invitations in the past, but they obviously expired, so I'll reply to the PMs and try to get new ones, even if it's just to stay in contact.

You can find me at the Guild Wars 2 subreddit, pretty much the only public place I still frequent. That game seems to be nearing its death as well, so who knows, the days of this Internet persona might be numbered. Also, here's my anime list for those who want some recommendations, or just some good old judging of inferior tastes.

I'll always have fond memories of the Warcraft franchise, Scrolls of Lore, and each one you autist assholes that made this place so memorable.

Quote:

I always loved it. There aren't many "green" forum themes out there, this one was pretty unique back in the day. It feels like you're walking the marble halls of some ancient library too, which really helps with the mood.

Nowadays most places of discussion, be them forums or not, feel like they're dead inside, since they focus too much on looking pretty and minimalistic. Almost like when you compare Renaissance buildings with Soviet apartments, or even worse, the abomination that is modern architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Hey Q, long time no see.

As for the forum, I feel it is a shame how everything went down. The political issues, server issues, discord... This forum was a special little part of the internet that had a lot of value for discussion even if you got tired of Warcraft as I did. And then it was gone.

I've been on disc but it is not the same, the pace of the discussion moves far too fast for anything other than chatter. Still i have some good memories and some good friends from this place, it will be remembered.
So many things have changed over the years. Clickbait and attention culture killed classic forums like this, which still remain the best places to have actual discussions. It's so sad we ran out of places to have this kind of social interaction.

Doesn't help that the gaming industry as a whole has turned into a disgrace. Long gone are the days of games being made with love, care, and passion. The golden years of modding were replaced with DLC, microtransactions, subscriptions, and gambling in disguise.

And not just videogames, but movies, books, everything. Culture as a whole. The things we once loved are dead, their corpse on parade for quite a while now.

Will those good times ever be back? Who knows :I.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~