Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 02-26-2019, 09:59 AM

Elune

Speaking of Trump..

Looks like the international view of the United States is higher than it's been in over a decade.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:57 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post

Looks like the international view of the United States is higher than it's been in over a decade.

But is that due to Trump or due to everyone in the US visibly opposing Trump?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
But is that due to Trump or due to everyone in the US visibly opposing Trump?
As a foreigner and one from a country not too fond of the US I'd say it is the hope that with Trump and his claims of "draining the swamp" that US foreign policy will change and become less interventionist and domineering.

Ofc the swamp is deep and for the most part US foreign policy goes on as before, except in those high profile cases where Trump himself takes interest. Still the hope remains the US will be less of a bully under Trump mistaken as it is and so general perceptions of the US improve. That is my guess anyway.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:18 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Speaking of Trump..

This guy unironically uses Clear Politics as a source. Into the trash it goes.
http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/26/...ps-leadership/
http://www.pewglobal.org/2018/10/01/...s/#interactive

Back in the real world, our reputation is getting wrecked. The EU is distancing itself from us and rallying closer under Germany. Mexico seems to be turning to China and taking stances against the US. Our adversaries have no reason to trust any agreements made. I'm not sure if the American hegemony is going to last much longer.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 02-26-2019 at 01:40 PM..
Old 02-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Elune

Gallup pollings better, my dude.

Tim Pool uses multiple sources from far left to far right.

Also, The EU is garbage.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:12 PM

Elune

A law donnie made unilaterally has been ruled by the courts he packed as legal.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...l-judge-rules/
Member #14
Old 02-26-2019, 03:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
A law donnie made unilaterally has been ruled by the courts he packed as legal.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...l-judge-rules/
Horrible.

The problem with having an administration that gets things done is they get the bad stuff done, to.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Well Russia and its sphere of influence really like the US now, for obvious reasons
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Well Russia and its sphere of influence really like the US now, for obvious reasons
They just wanted someone to get tough with them on a geopolitical scale. Its no secret the Trump administration had been harder on Russia than previous admins.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
They just wanted someone to get tough with them on a geopolitical scale. Its no secret the Trump administration had been harder on Russia than previous admins.
Yes, "harder on Russia" by refusing to implement sanctions, lifting some, trying to dismantle others, publicly stating that he wouldn't support NATO allies if Russia attacked them... Plus who knows what donnie and vlad have agreed to in their secret meetings? It seems the only stances "against" Russia he's willing to take are the occasional word that may as well (or could) be controlled opposition.

In other news, the former Deputy Finance Chairman of the RNC, Sean Hannity's lawyer, and one of donnie's former lawyers was disbarred today.
https://nypost.com/2019/02/26/michae...een-disbarred/
In response to Cohen's coming testimony, a GOP representative seems to have threatened him...
Member #14
Old 02-26-2019, 07:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
lol what?
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
As a foreigner and one from a country not too fond of the US I'd say it is the hope that with Trump and his claims of "draining the swamp" that US foreign policy will change and become less interventionist and domineering.

Ofc the swamp is deep and for the most part US foreign policy goes on as before, except in those high profile cases where Trump himself takes interest. Still the hope remains the US will be less of a bully under Trump mistaken as it is and so general perceptions of the US improve. That is my guess anyway.
If anyone honestly hasn't realized by now that Trump IS the swamp then they're not paying attention.

EDIT:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...t-in-9-charts/

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 02-26-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
If anyone honestly hasn't realized by now that Trump IS the swamp then they're not paying attention.

EDIT:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...t-in-9-charts/
I am not saying I agree with it, I think Trump's a huge faker and incompetent but the overall message of turning over a new page in the way US operates (which despite US partisan bickering has been largely the same for 40 or more years) has given hope to many people around the world. I know it did in Serbia, even I personally had a small hope that Trump would be what he claimed he is but sadly I was right in giving it small odds.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
lol what?
See, this is actually a real problem, and one even Politifact falls into, in that when people think Russia, they are very narrow minded. Actually, there's a nice little politifact piece that ranks that statement (that Trump has been harder on Russia) as False, but outright says "Yes, in most ways Trump has matched or exceeded Obama, but in this one area (the election interference), Trump has been softer".

Which, I mean.... Just because it's not in the area you want it to be doesn't make it false.

Trump unleashed the US military in Syria, bombed and killed Russian mercenaries, has started the development of low yield nukes to counter Russias advancement, has supplied Ukraine with weapons, shut down Russias San Fran Delegate, has started development on non compliant INF missiles in response to Russia not following the treaty.

This might actually come as a shock to you, but there's more to the issues with Russia than some bad facebook ads
Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
See, this is actually a real problem, and one even Politifact falls into, in that when people think Russia, they are very narrow minded. Actually, there's a nice little politifact piece that ranks that statement (that Trump has been harder on Russia) as False, but outright says "Yes, in most ways Trump has matched or exceeded Obama, but in this one area (the election interference), Trump has been softer".

Which, I mean.... Just because it's not in the area you want it to be doesn't make it false.

Trump unleashed the US military in Syria, bombed and killed Russian mercenaries, has started the development of low yield nukes to counter Russias advancement, has supplied Ukraine with weapons, shut down Russias San Fran Delegate, has started development on non compliant INF missiles in response to Russia not following the treaty.

This might actually come as a shock to you, but there's more to the issues with Russia than some bad facebook ads
I mean, is that stuff he really did, personally. Or his skeleton crew of a state department with his rubber stamp? Honestly, all the "tough-on-Russia" stuff people tout about Trump is just rollover policy from previous admins (even if it was never implemented yet, such as selling arms to UKR). I realize it's a nuanced situation, but I don't get my information from "bad facebook ads" (what?), and whatever's going on behind the scenes is largely hidden from the public.

But on Syria: didn't Trump's sudden and ill-advised pullout indirectly benefit Russia's interests in the region? By contrast, his public and diplomatic statements and interactions with Russia show a pretty clear coziness: The multiple 1-on-1 meetings with Putin where Trump seems to go out of his way to obfuscate the details of what was discussed, going so far as to kick out everyone except for a translator (who won't reveal what was said without subpoena); The seeming capitulation to Putin re: election meddling at Helsinki; The reluctance/delays to enforce the sanctions on Russian oligarchs/businesses passed into law by Congress. The fact that there's a mountain of evidence that shows Trump had vested economic interest in making and keeping Russian friends (Trump Tower Moscow), and has done for many years. The apparent quid pro quo regarding the Magnitsky Act, that may be the linchpin of Putin's gambit to aid Trump's campaign. I mean, this is all out there to read and look at. I could keep going.

HIJACK EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLEPOST:

So the Cohen hearing just ended, and you can't make this shit up.

From Cohen:
-Trump personally reimbursed him for hush money payments (in violation of campaign finance laws (and he has the checks to prove it)
-Trump overvalues his assets when trying to get on the list of richest Americans, and then undervalues them to avoid paying taxes on them
-Trump continued to pursue property dealings in Russia during the campaign and lied about it because he didn't expect to win and was just running to promote his brand
-Trump was personally knowledgeable about his campaign communicating with Wikileaks.
-Trump asked Cohen what country run by black people wasn't a "shithole" while Obama was in office
-Trump said black people would never vote for him because they are too stupid
-Trump used a shill bidder in an auction for a portrait of himself to make sure it went for the most money, and then used his charity to pay for it
-Trump is so insecure about people thinking he's stupid that he directed Cohen to threaten anyone that could potentially leak SAT scores/school transcripts
-"Individual #1" is Donald Trump
-There are more recordings that Cohen made that are part of another ongoing investigation
-Trump likely knew about the Trump Tower meeting with Russians and personally approved it
-Cohen knows of other crimes but can't currently discuss them because they are under investigation

And there is much, much more. It was several hours, so it'll take some time to unpack the whole thing.

Last edited by Saranus; 02-27-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Old 02-28-2019, 01:09 AM

Elune

In addition to the flaming comet coming down towards him...

Seems donnie has, in advance, dropped the demand for full nuclear accountability with the DPRK's nuclear program. I guess botching the amazing Iran nuclear deal wasn't enough for him.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...rogram-n977251
I guess that previous "best deal ever" with Kim was a complete failure after all, eh?

[edit] Aaaand the talks were a complete failure. Donnie got played by Kimmy like a fiddle.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 02-28-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Old 03-04-2019, 01:42 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

I am more far more concerned about the destruction of the INF. What the hell is Trump thinking?

One of the (rare) greatest accomplishments of Reagan's administration.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:16 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post
I am more far more concerned about the destruction of the INF. What the hell is Trump thinking?

That a treaty isn't a treaty if only one side is following it. It's a handicap.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post

Now Putin doesn't have to worry about sanctions for breaking it.The Soviet Reunion can continue.
Member #14
Old 03-04-2019, 03:07 PM

World Builder

Quote:
That a treaty isn't a treaty if only one side is following it. It's a handicap.
Yeah but before we could apply sanctions for them breaking it couldn't we?

It doesn't really make sense for us to pour money into escalating and going back to cold war arms race with them.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-04-2019, 06:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah but before we could apply sanctions for them breaking it couldn't we?

It doesn't really make sense for us to pour money into escalating and going back to cold war arms race with them.
This is something I pointed out last time Russia economy and stuff came up. Sanctions aren't working. The United States and EU both have levied sanctions, and its not close to enough. If anything, at this point, its hindering structual reforms.

They are stockpiling resources and Putin doesnt have to worry. Inflation and unemployment were both good enough to stop any destabilization.

All santions are doing is long term harm to the Russian People. Nothing in the Short term, and Putin doesnt give a shit about what happens when he's dead.

And, I mean, they arent gonna starve. Russia exports more food than weapons after they banned buying food from the west in retaliation. Not even gonna touch on the currency fuckery they are doing

Last edited by Ruinshin; 03-04-2019 at 06:44 PM..
Old 03-05-2019, 02:42 PM

World Builder

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-05-2019, 10:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
I mean, Clarence Thomas is an originalist (I'm not sure I'd call him a textualist myself, but to each their own), so while he isn't wrong from that approach, he's on the extreme side of things and won't get anyone to agree to that.

Scalia thought his ideas were unworkable. I'm not a big fan of him. He's upheld almost as free speech things as Scalia, which is good, but he's waaaay out there on other things. Very big on, for instance, kids not having right in school, parents giving teachers the authority and right to punish as a rule of leaving them in care of the teachers, etc.

His stance is an important one to have on the Supreme Court, but it's also one that needs to be balanced out.

He doesn't believe in Precedent if it counteracts the constitution. But, and this is important, him voicing these things A) isn't new, and B) it hitting papers is silly.

Clarence says what he wants because he thinks it's right, no matter who is listening, and he will say it even if he knows nobody else agrees. I wouldn't read to much into it, because he doesn't actually ask to reassess and readjust things he disagrees without the clause of "It's got to be an appropriate case".
Old 03-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Elune

What is it about the internet that's confusing the American right so much?
They fought tooth & nail to kill Net Neutrality under the guise of "don't regulate the internet." However, immediately after that happened, suddenly they want to regulate the hell out of every facet of the internet and take control of it. They want every website to be forced to host right-wing content, every forum be forced to host their posts. Somehow forum rules turn them into anarchists, but any time you go to post on one of their right-wing forums they'll ban you for disagreeing with them.
They're trying to say "these big sites have replaced the public square" swearing it should be subject to the same rules, but these sites aren't public. They're welcome to try to nationalize Facebook, Youtube, etc if they like, but then isn't that communism according to them? I don't understand these people.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 03-07-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
In March of 2016, then-candidate Donald Trump told The Washington Post he could eliminate the entire U.S. debt in eight years. Now that he’s president, Trump is doing the exact opposite.

Trump’s budget — his own budget — projects debt held by the public will hit $22.8 trillion by 2025, more than 50 percent higher than the year he took office. (Debt held by the public was $14.7 trillion in 2017.)
Woops.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.44919440d429

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president