Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 08-26-2007, 02:13 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default "Games for Windows" WotLK Preview

Picked this up today. It actually has a bit of info I haven't read before. Some notable things I've noticed:

-Dalaran will have one or two instanced dungeons in it (like Stockades or Ragefire they said).
-Dalaran won't have Auction Houses or class trainers again (*sigh*). Same bass-ackwards reason as with Shattrath. It will probably have portals like Shattrath though, and they said possibly one to Shattrath as well.
-There is concept art of Dalaran and The Nexus - both look pretty cool. The Nexus looks like this huge purple beam of magic shooting towards the sky, with rings surrounding it that look like little islands you could probably land on with a flying mount.
-Malygos is a raid boss (I don't think this is new info, but figured I'd mention it anyways)
-There's a map of Utgarde Keep (low level dungeon).
-It mentions the Stratholme CoT dungeon (which isn't new news but it's recent at least).
-There will be more "micro dungeons" (i.e. non-instanced dungeon-like areas.. I guess Deatholme is probably a good example). One is called Gjalerbron where the Vrykul are working side-by-side with Liches.
-Info about Utgarde: will be similar to Ramparts, but with more memorable moments to break up the "pull-rest-pull-boss" structure of other instances (way they put it). One is a giant flame forge that kills you if you step into it, but if you kill the workers operating it, it dies down. Another is a guantlet area like in Shattered Halls. One boss will be a Lich, another will be a Vrykul who summons scourge minions.
-Metzen says he doesn't want the end of Arthas' story to be predictable, as he says a "Yeah, that's pretty much what I expected" type of feeling.
-One idea for the Death Knight class is that you'll start in Stratholme and have to break your way out.
-Two Death Knight spells mentioned: Army of the Dead (the one from the trailer) which summons a bunch of undead minions, and Death and Decay, which is an AOE spell.
-One idea for an ability is Blood Boil, a damage-over-time ability that after the duration lights up two of your blood runes.
-Generally Blood runes are damage-oriented, Frost are control-oriented, and Unholy are utility and DOT mechanics.
-Inscribers will be able to sell scrolls.
-Only a handful of core spells can be inscribed. Example they used was you cannot extend the range of the Priest's Mind Vision, but you CAN extend the duration of the Hunter's Freezing Traps.
-Metzen feels the Burning Crusade never really had an "ending" moment. Killing Illidan wasn't it because he didn't like the Legion either. So Sunwell will be it.
-The Blood Elves are trying to reinvigorate the Sunwell using energy ported from Netherstorm (i.e. the Mana Forges)
-But supposively rebuilding the Sunwell is an excuse to summon Kil'jaeden (why?)
-Sunwell area will have "tweaker Blood Elves, high on magic" and 6-8 bosses.
-There is that quote that someone posted earlier in the forums that Kil'jaeden is not fully summoned, thus you can kill him with 25 lvl 70s.

Last edited by Warlock; 08-26-2007 at 02:36 PM..
Old 08-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Loremaster

Great news thanks warlock! I really doubt they will be able to handle the end of Arthas' story well judging from Illidan so they will have to work really hard to impress me. We all know the good guys are going to win and everyone lives happily ever after and we get phat loot yada yada.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:01 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Well, if they handle the story right, I could be fine with them summoning kil'jaeden, then again, if Kael can survive (to operate the sunwell no doubt), I'm pretty sure kil'jaeden will. Like the conclusion as to why they have those manaforges- and probably why the naga are draining water, too
Old 08-26-2007, 03:03 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Well, if they handle the story right, I could be fine with them summoning kil'jaeden, then again, if Kael can survive (to operate the sunwell no doubt), I'm pretty sure kil'jaeden will. Like the conclusion as to why they have those manaforges- and probably why the naga are draining water, too
Nope, the Naga work for Illidan not Kil'jaeden. They were draining water to make Illidan another Well of Eternity on Outland.

I doubt Kil'jaeden will survive because they said that it will END at Sunwell, the Legion story arc that is. So that's it folks, the Legion is undone.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Or crippled at least. Which is just as bad.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Loremaster

Considering I doubt the Legion is as threatening with Kazzak behind the helm hehe. Though Blizzard might surprise me who knows.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

I'm not so sure I want Blizzard to surprise me. Not always that pleasant a surprise.
If Kazzak takes over we can expect to have the last bits of the Legion kamikaze charge the Dark Portal... over... and over... and over.... again. Just as he is doing now. Except this time he'll forget the strategy of approaching in formation. Not that it makes much difference anyway does it.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:48 PM

Thing is though, I'm sure the legion will at least ATTEMPT a comeback, if not have one, simply because I can't see blizz removing an entire creature type from the game (demon)
Old 08-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Loremaster

The sad thing is, they basically said they had big plans for BC involving taking the fight to the Legion on other worlds, etc. through patches for what they couldn't get into the expansion itself. Had plans, as in past tense, done with, forget about it ever happening, we've moved on to the next thing. Apparently it's been decided to chuck the whole purpose of the Burning Crusade and press on to the next $50 expansion pack rather than expand on BC through content patches that they don't charge for beyond the subscription fees.

No restraints. That's the problem. When they aren't given a rigid structure within which to work (as in, here's where the game starts, this is where it ends, and here's the in-between) a creative team gets bored with its own stories and keeps fudging on any satisfying resolutions because "oh boy, we woke up this morning and just felt like giving up on the Legion and focusing on the Scourge."

Incidentaly, by eliminating all relevant groups but the Horde and Alliance, they'll basically be leaning toward turning WoW into a perpetual PvP environment. Oh gee, third-person Doom Deathmatch on Azeroth. Yeah, that's exactly why I started playing...
Old 08-26-2007, 06:09 PM

I'd imagine they'd introduce a "villainous group of the month" instead of having it be horde V. alliance.

Kinda like Power Rangers and other Tokusatsu, actually.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:40 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

………………..,-~*’`¯lllllll`*~,
…………..,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,
………,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,
……,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll.\
….;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\
…..\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/………\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,
…...\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*………..`~-~-,…(.(¯`*,`,
…….\llllllllllll,-~*…………………)_-\..*`*;..)
……..\,-*`¯,*`)…………,-~*`~.………….../
……...|/.../…/~,…...-~*,-~*`;……………./.\
……../.../…/…/..,-,..*~,.`*~*…………….*...\
…….|.../…/…/.*`...\...……………………)….)¯`~,
…….|./…/…./…….)……,.)`*~-,……….../….|..)…`~-,
……/./.../…,*`-,…..`-,…*`….,---…...\…./…../..|……...¯```*~-
…...(……….)`*~-,….`*`.,-~*.,-*……|…/.…/…/…………\
…….*-,…….`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*……….|.,*...,*…|…...\
……….*,………`-,…)-,…………..,-*`...,-*….(`-,…
Member #14
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The sad thing is, they basically said they had big plans for BC involving taking the fight to the Legion on other worlds, etc. through patches for what they couldn't get into the expansion itself. Had plans, as in past tense, done with, forget about it ever happening, we've moved on to the next thing. Apparently it's been decided to chuck the whole purpose of the Burning Crusade and press on to the next $50 expansion pack rather than expand on BC through content patches that they don't charge for beyond the subscription fees.

No restraints. That's the problem. When they aren't given a rigid structure within which to work (as in, here's where the game starts, this is where it ends, and here's the in-between) a creative team gets bored with its own stories and keeps fudging on any satisfying resolutions because "oh boy, we woke up this morning and just felt like giving up on the Legion and focusing on the Scourge."

Incidentaly, by eliminating all relevant groups but the Horde and Alliance, they'll basically be leaning toward turning WoW into a perpetual PvP environment. Oh gee, third-person Doom Deathmatch on Azeroth. Yeah, that's exactly why I started playing...
Otherwise agreed, expect that...

Don't you DARE speak ill of Doom!

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 AM

As much as I love Doom music, it's a total Master of Puppets ripoff.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:33 PM

Mountain Giant
Send a message via AIM to FreeLancer Send a message via MSN to FreeLancer Send a message via Yahoo to FreeLancer

Darkmoon Card: Maelstrom

Quote:
Unforunately, the precedent was set right at the beginning. The only serious upgrade of the early-to-mid level content has been the Draenei and Blood Elf Quests. Before (and after) that it is a horrible drawl of the same quests repeated to death with each new character. Much of the original content has been left unfinished. Gilneas, Dustwallow Marsh, etc., etc., etc. The focus on endgame (PvE and PvP) has left the rest of the game much the same as before.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLancer View Post
Unforunately, the precedent was set right at the beginning. The only serious upgrade of the early-to-mid level content has been the Draenei and Blood Elf Quests. Before (and after) that it is a horrible drawl of the same quests repeated to death with each new character. Much of the original content has been left unfinished. Gilneas, Dustwallow Marsh, etc., etc., etc. The focus on endgame (PvE and PvP) has left the rest of the game much the same as before.
Its coming dude, the problem they have now is to keep the high-end people interested in the game thus the Expansion race. Trying to get them out fast enough before people destroy every little thing in the last one. So alas old content takes the shelf for a bit. It will get better trust me
Old 08-27-2007, 06:57 PM

There's still the:
Old gods
Underwater forces inc. naga
Nightmare
Titans
Underground

That should give us a good amount of expansions until WCIV- assuming they don't introduce any new baddies until then.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:05 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
There's still the:
Old gods
Underwater forces inc. naga
Nightmare
Titans
Underground

That should give us a good amount of expansions until WCIV- assuming they don't introduce any new baddies until then.
In WoW Vanilla we killed C'Thun.

In WoTLK we will be killing another.

And the Titans killed the one at the Master's Glaive.

So....that's three down and two more to go!

An Underground expansion would just ROCK!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 PM

New mount skill: Borers!

Get a Gnomish drilling machine or a salamander and carve your way through the earth itself!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
Otherwise agreed, expect that...

Don't you DARE speak ill of Doom!
Doom is a grand and awesome game. It was the first non-adventure game that I ever started sinking real time into and it remains a legendary milestone in the world of video games. I'm not bashing Doom. I'm just saying it's not Warcraft. Doom should be Doom, and Warcraft should be Warcraft. Mixing the two would do neither one justice. Yet eliminating all the non-Horde/Alliance factions will leave little alternative than to start introducing new villains (A good thing and bad thing. New villains work when introduced into the existing world, with preexisting conditions and conflicts. Throwing them at us because nothing else is left would be extremely lame.) or to make the Alliance and Horde start bashing each other. That'll be rather difficult witohut turning every realm PvP, which would turn a lot of people off, unless they decide that "Guess what folks! Jaina, Tyrande and Thrall are insane now and holed up in some dungeon. Go loot em!"
Old 08-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
In WoW Vanilla we killed C'Thun.

In WoTLK we will be killing another.

And the Titans killed the one at the Master's Glaive.

So....that's three down and two more to go!

An Underground expansion would just ROCK!
C'Thun could still be alive, that C'Thun we saw might just be his physical body, but not his full potential.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saim View Post
C'Thun could still be alive, that C'Thun we saw might just be his physical body, but not his full potential.
Did they say any of that? No, they outright said "congratulations you just killed an Old God!" Not banished an Old God, killed one. The quests anyway. You can even LOOT C'Thun's EYEBALL.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Doom is a grand and awesome game. It was the first non-adventure game that I ever started sinking real time into and it remains a legendary milestone in the world of video games. I'm not bashing Doom. I'm just saying it's not Warcraft. Doom should be Doom, and Warcraft should be Warcraft. Mixing the two would do neither one justice. Yet eliminating all the non-Horde/Alliance factions will leave little alternative than to start introducing new villains (A good thing and bad thing. New villains work when introduced into the existing world, with preexisting conditions and conflicts. Throwing them at us because nothing else is left would be extremely lame.) or to make the Alliance and Horde start bashing each other. That'll be rather difficult witohut turning every realm PvP, which would turn a lot of people off, unless they decide that "Guess what folks! Jaina, Tyrande and Thrall are insane now and holed up in some dungeon. Go loot em!"
The only game better than Doom is Doom 2.

In any case, I don't even care who they kill after Arthas. I just wanna see how low they can sink.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Great info, thanks Warlock

Anyway, for upcoming expansions, I think all these:

-One featuring Sunken Kalimdor
-One featuring Emmerald Dream
-One featuring Pandaria (Perhaps Pandaria and The Dream in the same one)
-One featuring something like Hell, a place full of demons

About the Old Gods, I think the one lying in darkshore, or a least its spirit, is the reason of the nightmare.

About enemy factions, who could protagonize expansions, there are 4 at least:

Illidari (TBC)
Scourge (WotLK)
Old Gods
Burning Legion

And new races...

Pandaren
Goblin
Azj'Aquir (I love them! I need a bug-like race NOW!)
Naga

Greetings.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 AM

Loremaster

The only thing I am really hoping for the next expansion, is that they do not add another mount rank.

I just spent 5000 on my epic flyer, if I have to spend another 10,000 on another one, I am going to cry.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 AM

Mountain Giant
Send a message via AIM to FreeLancer Send a message via MSN to FreeLancer Send a message via Yahoo to FreeLancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
The only thing I am really hoping for the next expansion, is that they do not add another mount rank.

I just spent 5000 on my epic flyer, if I have to spend another 10,000 on another one, I am going to cry.
Do not even think such things...*shudder*