Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Who is the master race?
Boring Humans 13 13.54%
Monstrous Orcs 9 9.38%
Awesome Dwarves 14 14.58%
Aloof Elves 5 5.21%
Cunning Trolls 11 11.46%
Dapper Worgen 3 3.13%
Annoying Gnomes 2 2.08%
Stampeding Tauren 4 4.17%
Dead Undead 8 8.33%
Cuddly Pandaren 3 3.13%
Retconning Ereder--I Mean Draenei 10 10.42%
Asshole Elves 14 14.58%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Eternal

I saw the Pacific Rim trailer attached to Man of Steel yesterday. I thought for sure it was gonna be a Power Rangers movie. I am disappoint.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:07 PM

Banished

US national team won again!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. By all rights we should be picking up radio signals from sapient species, even if they just used them in their own 20th-21st century analogues... but we're not.

As for the possibility of hostile species out there, well, I kinda find that a tired stereotype. Look at asteroids, comets, and barren planets, all the raw resources a developed species could ever need without the fuss of exterminating sapient or even sentient organisms. Space is just such a vast place, there is no real need for territorial bullshit.

That said all it takes is one asshole to torch ants with a magnifying glass.

Another thing to consider is that critters grow intelligent mostly from an overabundance of meat in their diet, predators are hence more likely to become sapient species than are herbivores. And a predatory species may easily lack any concept of mercy, empathy or altruism, or understand them but not care about them one bit emotionally.
Though on the upside such species would take a longer time to develop since a lack of empathy would impede social progress. However I can't really agree with you that a sapient species, of intellect similar or greater than ours, would not eventually tech up. It might take hundreds of thousands of years but eventually SOMETHING will happen in even the most rigid of civilizations to allow for change and progress.

Good news is that in 10-30 years we will have telescopes advanced enough to directly image exoplanets, which might solve the mystery of missing sapients.
While I know this is me being exceedingly nitpicky (and a bit unfair), the examples I mentioned weren't killing off other races for power or their own security. Both were motivated by larger-scale issues that wouldn't be immediately apparent (or important) to most races. The Reapers' reason was illogical and nonsensical due to bad writing, while the Inhibitors had a better justification.

I brought it up just to suggest that there may be other issues of which we are not aware that might motivate such behavior (and again, it was predicated on knowledge of those fictional aliens, which was a poor choice on my part). Though simply ensuring supremacy is possible (and depressing). Of course, one wonders why we haven't had (as you pointed out) radio signals from such a race.

I think, however, that technological stasis is quite possible. China knew about coal for centuries, but never really utilized its full potential. The Romans may have been aware of the steam engine, but never bothered building one since they had slaves (and the steam engine would also destroy their slave-based economy—granted, something better would have probably arisen).

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM

Anyone who'd be interested in a "game deals" thread to share from time to time a nice offer for a game?

For example, on gog you can get Torchlight 1 for free right now.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
I think, however, that technological stasis is quite possible. China knew about coal for centuries, but never really utilized its full potential. The Romans may have been aware of the steam engine, but never bothered building one since they had slaves (and the steam engine would also destroy their slave-based economy—granted, something better would have probably arisen).
The Earth as it is now shouldn't drastically change in hundreds of thousands of years, even a few million which for humans is an impossibly long period of time.

So even if Rome had, for example, held onto power and imposed a period of tech stasis due to living quite comfortably in their slave served society, it is nigh impossible that nothing would change as hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands... of years passed. Sheer probability demands it, which is why I believe that a sapient species (with hands or something similar) will eventually tech up, unless they die out first which is not easy due to their intellect.

EDIT:

To clarify I mean a low tech species is unlikely to kill itself by tech, races of higher tech than us very much could. And their (low tech sapients) intellect would allow them to be crafty and survive even the harshest of natural catastrophes. Like how we survived the eruption of that super-volcano thousands of years ago, we were nigh obliterated with just 1000 humans left on the planet but we survived.

Last edited by C9H20; 06-19-2013 at 12:21 AM..
Old 06-19-2013, 02:11 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
I saw the Pacific Rim trailer attached to Man of Steel yesterday. I thought for sure it was gonna be a Power Rangers movie. I am disappoint.
Why? why would you want such a thing?
Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Found this and lol'd hard. Probably posted on here at some point, but it's still hilarious to me.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 AM

Elune

So the cherries in front of my window have borne a lot of fruit this summer.

They are all natural and completely free of any pesticide. Sweetest fruit I ever ate, so much better than that trash in the market.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Anyone who'd be interested in a "game deals" thread to share from time to time a nice offer for a game?

For example, on gog you can get Torchlight 1 for free right now.
Humble Bundle /w Android 6 is also up for 2 weeks. I especially recommend you play Aquaria.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 AM

Arch-Druid

Hey guys I need a really quick help please.

How do I delete photos from iPhone 4s? Now, I now ho i delete photos I took myself with camera, but the damn Macbook imported some other photos I didn't want to the iPhone. How do I delete the albums with photos, like Photo Booth etc?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

So whats with British royalty and weird hats, has that always been a thing?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 AM

Arch-Druid

I think we may need a picture to know what you are referring to.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 AM

The Sun King

Blast it! With all mods offline, the bots in "General WarCraft Discussion" have gone crazy!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Blast it! With all mods offline, the bots in "General WarCraft Discussion" have gone crazy!
Odd that they would target just that subsection.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
I'm still here.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I'm still here.
You're invisible.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

We have a spam thread?

Shit, I need to start hanging out in General.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Trade Baroness - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
We have a spam thread?

Shit, I need to start hanging out in General.
General is the reason why I'm still here. It's great.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
My main issue with it is that private doctors make money from you being sick, yet their stated goal is to cure you of illness. It just doesn't chime.

Anyway quite a bit off topic, we can continue it in the spam thread if you still have something to say.
My father is a private dentist (specializing on teeth prosthesis), and he has a lot of experiences regarding the whole "private vs free" thing.

In short, we have two problems. One, the money that free clinics receive is simply not enough to perform effective medicine (so even the allegedly "free" medicine has to take money from everyone able to pay (or go completely bankrupt) - often with scandals). Two, a lot of patients are not exactly rich people, but old pensioners, who may not just be unable to pay, but REFUSE to pay, setting up scandals of huge proportions, because they remember the Soviet times when all medicine was free.

How do the politicians react to it? Promise more free medicine or insurance medicine to ensure that they get votes. What do they actually do? Well, if the governments since 2010 is any choice, push more taxes and rent that small private clinics can't pay (which leeds to small clinics being unable to receive the positive revenue).

How does it all relate to single private doctors? Well, my father's current workplace is right around the "free" dentist clinic (his friend the head doctor invited him to take part in creating a "parallel" private clinic for more people to be healed). It's really near.

And yet, it always comes to cranky old hags, who don't have the patience to sit in queue in the public free clinic AND know that service there is really worse. Instead go to the private clinic, then, after the prosthesis is in place, when it comes to payment (which is much more that they'd expect - even though there is a price list) they start a rant and refuse to pay, shouting about how they are the Heroes of Labor, and how the medicine is supposed to be free and yada yada. This... led to father just getting sick of their arguments and sometimes just letting them go, even though his work was done. At one point, an old woman DID pay, then thought she payed too much and came to take her money back.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
You're invisible.
Except when she's cruelly purging my brilliant orthographic studies from the face of the interwebs.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Elune

Except that doesn't really address my question Kir.

It is a nice personal anecdote about how your dad is a great guy (which I could already tell since he cares enough to know of WoW and sat through Batman with you ).

It doesn't address the dichotomy of private doctors wanting to make more money, yet for them to make more money you have to be sick, while their true goal should be making you healthy. It is just not a smart setup, medicine is too important to be left to the bastardizations and scams of the free market.

The only reason Free Healthcare is failing in Ukraine, and to a lesser extent here, is because our countries are lacking money and or unwilling to invest a lot into healthcare.
It is far more logical to have state fund hospitals and pay doctors not by the amount of people they treat but pay them for the service of healing, for being in the hospital and doing their best to help. That way most doctors will be people who truly care to aid others, since it wouldn't exactly be a field which you pick to become rich.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM

Banished

Quote:
My main issue with it is that private doctors make money from you being sick, yet their stated goal is to cure you of illness. It just doesn't chime.

Anyway quite a bit off topic, we can continue it in the spam thread if you still have something to say.
the view from outsiders it's so cute yet ignorant.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I'm still here.
Then could you kindly GO and KILL those watch-selling bots?

I also saw Garotar snooping around, and he did nothing to stop the watch bots too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20
It is a nice personal anecdote about how your dad is a great guy (which I could already tell since he cares enough to know of WoW and sat through Batman with you ).
That was more of an anecdote about how his entire business would fail if the current free healthcare system expanded extensively (instead of intensively) - the alternative, trying to be a state-payed doctor, just doesn't give enough money to put food on the table, without doing the technically-illegal actions of having the price list anyway (like most hospitals have to do anyway).

Compared to the public medicine that lost almost all of its credibility here, private one remains the more expensive one, but also the more effective one. The idea of an asshole doctor abusing a patient's sickness to get more money is somewhat of an anecdote too.

Last edited by Kir the Wizard; 06-19-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM

Banished

I wish you could punch people through a computer sometimes.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadinhad View Post
I wish you could punch people through a computer sometimes.
What if... they punched back?
Closed Thread

Tags
west coast