Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
But it has maps.. Also, the Arena and Daggerfall games in the anthology have an emulation program built in so they will run on Windows 7 and 8.

I am buying the anthology because I support Bethesda as a company. I've already got more than one copy of Morrowind, Skyrim, and Oblivion plus the various DLC's. Probably won't be the last.
Doesn't it already work on Windows 7? I have a reliable witness accounting to it'll work on Windows 7 without DOSbox.

Also. Maps are paper >V

'Sides. too poor to pay for it.

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
Meanwhile WoW has subs. IMO ES is a more "RPG" RPG which should make it a great MMORPG... Dunno why people are hating when it might be a great MMO.
Especially since ESO is going closer to Oblivion and Morrowind style character building and combat.. Which I vastly preferred.

Quote:
Doesn't it already work on Windows 7? I have a reliable witness accounting to it'll work on Windows 7 without DOSbox.

Also. Maps are paper >V

'Sides. too poor to pay for it.
It didn't when I tried last year sometime.

But also maps.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 PM

Eternal

Well.

I just wish they'd re-release Redguard. I can't stand Oblivion and Skyrim being re-released. Again. Just fuck those eye-soars.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Now that there's an expansion being released for AoE 2 I'm really tempted to buy the Steam version. On the other hand, I feel like I'm being a bad consumer spending $20 on a game that old (especially as I am indifferent to the HD).

I will wrestle with this for a while.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Quote:
Especially since ESO is going closer to Oblivion and Morrowind style character building and combat.. Which I vastly preferred.
I can't exactly recall a difference. Was it that in Morrowind/Oblivion you got to really customize it down to the name (with the stars and all)? I've only played a little bit of Skyrimjob but I can't remember anything other than the fact that they took the Acrobatics skill out (fuck them).
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Star Wars? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequels is that they'll be around... forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas View Post
Well.

I just wish they'd re-release Redguard. I can't stand Oblivion and Skyrim being re-released. Again. Just fuck those eye-soars.
Skyrim isn't so bad.. Not as wonderful as Morrowind of course... But Oblivion? IT was a bit bright for my tastes...

I really dig the look of ESO though. I'm surprised you don't considering how much you like Morrowind.

Quote:
I can't exactly recall a difference. Was it that in Morrowind/Oblivion you got to really customize it down to the name (with the stars and all)? I've only played a little bit of Skyrimjob but I can't remember anything other than the fact that they took the Acrobatics skill out (fuck them).
You chose a general direction right from the beginning of the game in Morrowind and Oblivion. You could still learn other skills, but it wasn't anywhere near as open as Skyrim, and it was better for it.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 08-21-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 PM

Eternal

The story and lack of genuine aspects makes me not want to play.

I could at least play Oblivion all the way through. I still have major gripes with it, but I couldn't even finish Skyrim.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Skyrim isn't so bad.. Not as wonderful as Morrowind of course... But Oblivion? IT was a bit bright for my tastes...

I really dig the look of ESO though. I'm surprised you don't considering how much you like Morrowind.
My memories of Morrowind date back to when I used to rape all the kajiits and stab guards. Oh, and when I would sneak up and steal someone's clothes right off of them (or was it Oblivion)? Sneak, save, open inventory, take, if busted then reload save, else go on, save, Weimar and repeat.
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Star Wars? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequels is that they'll be around... forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:51 PM

Elune

Quote:

I could at least play Oblivion all the way through. I still have major gripes with it, but I couldn't even finish Skyrim.
The story I'll wait and see on. It is a bit annoying that we have a fairly well documented age and Oblivion invading with no mention, but after what they did to Cyrodiil in Oblivion, I can live with it and give them a chance to make up for it.

Quote:
My memories of Morrowind date back to when I used to rape all the kajiits and stab guards. Oh, and when I would sneak up and steal someone's clothes right off of them (or was it Oblivion)? Sneak, save, open inventory, take, if busted then reload save, else go on, save, Weimar and repeat.
People look back at Morrowind as better than it was. Which is saying a lot because it was fucking great.. But it was very much unfinished, with at least 4 factions that I can think of that were unfinished. I would love for the 3 vampire clan quests to be finished. It's a shame that Skyrim and Oblivion dropped the 3 clans. I hope ESO vampire talents let you specialize.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The story I'll wait and see on. It is a bit annoying that we have a fairly well documented age and Oblivion invading with no mention, but after what they did to Cyrodiil in Oblivion, I can live with it and give them a chance to make up for it.
I thought it happened before Oblivion?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
I hear about some of the early plans for Cyrodiil, a sort of tropical Roman-Chinese-Aztec mix, and I want it so badly...

Quote:
People look back at Morrowind as better than it was. Which is saying a lot because it was fucking great.. But it was very much unfinished, with at least 4 factions that I can think of that were unfinished. I would love for the 3 vampire clan quests to be finished. It's a shame that Skyrim and Oblivion dropped the 3 clans. I hope ESO vampire talents let you specialize.
For people like me, what really made Morrowind stand out was the verisimilitude. I was more than willing to forgive the clunky gameplay and other problems (and it's not just nostalgia—I played it for the first time in 2009/2010).

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
Now that there's an expansion being released for AoE 2 I'm really tempted to buy the Steam version. On the other hand, I feel like I'm being a bad consumer spending $20 on a game that old (especially as I am indifferent to the HD).

I will wrestle with this for a while.
Is this a new expansion, or are they just remaking Conquerors in HD?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Is this a new expansion, or are they just remaking Conquerors in HD?
This one is brand new.

http://www.forgottenempires.net

I was sold just by the inclusion of the Inca and the Slavs, whose absence in AoE 2 had always bothered me.

EDIT: Also, though it doesn't say this on the official site, the Facebook version says it will be on Steam and compatible with HD (which is good, I only have a very old Mac copy).

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 08-21-2013 at 11:50 PM..
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
I thought it happened before Oblivion?
No. Oblivion was the retcon that Cyrodill is no longer a jungle, the Imperial City is not a massive flux of canals that'd make Vivec-city look like some rural town in the middle of nowhere, and the differences between the Colovians and the Nibenans was downplayed.

All in the first edition of the Pocket guide to the Empire

Old 08-22-2013, 02:00 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:

Huh Skyrim is my top favorite along with Morrowind . I understand why people were not to pleased with Oblivion but i still enjoyed that just not as much...
Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 AM

Archer

Quote:
No. Oblivion was the retcon that Cyrodill is no longer a jungle, the Imperial City is not a massive flux of canals that'd make Vivec-city look like some rural town in the middle of nowhere, and the differences between the Colovians and the Nibenans was downplayed.

All in the first edition of the Pocket guide to the Empire
Skyrim does somewhat try to explain this though, with Heimskr shouting at you.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:51 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
I hear about some of the early plans for Cyrodiil, a sort of tropical Roman-Chinese-Aztec mix, and I want it so badly...
I was first introduced to the series in Oblivion, which probably remains my favorite installment, and even I would kill to see Ald Cyrod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 AM

Needs A Hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I was first introduced to the series in Oblivion, which probably remains my favorite installment, and even I would kill to see Ald Cyrod.
I was sort-of introduced to the series in Morrowind, but I never liked it. Couldn't stand the combat system.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akul View Post
Skyrim does somewhat try to explain this though, with Heimskr shouting at you.
I couldn't hear it behind terrible plot and character development.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM

Archer

Quote:
Well I didn't make it out in game and just found it out recently, so no need to force yourself play it.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
The plot itself wasn't terrible as much as it felt you were thrown into the game in the middle of it. Oblivion had a bit of the same problem.

The character build up of Morrowind was nice, even if you technically knew you were special sooner than any of the two following games.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:
The actual plot and story was fine in Skyrim, the problem was that the game was rushed to reach the 11-11-11 release date, and thus a lot of stuff didn't make it in to the game. But there is nothing wrong with the premise of the story.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Needs A Hug

So, could someone perhaps explain why I'm now the proud owner of War of the Roses and an apparently accepted alpha-tester for War of the Vikings?

I never bought War of the Roses. I was in the Beta, briefly, but I was never gifted the game after either.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
So, could someone perhaps explain why I'm now the proud owner of War of the Roses and an apparently accepted alpha-tester for War of the Vikings?

I never bought War of the Roses. I was in the Beta, briefly, but I was never gifted the game after either.
I got into it but i bought it . They distributed them through Steam i think so to people who play similar games or maybe just all Steam users (not sure).
Old 08-23-2013, 01:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
The actual plot and story was fine in Skyrim, the problem was that the game was rushed to reach the 11-11-11 release date, and thus a lot of stuff didn't make it in to the game. But there is nothing wrong with the premise of the story.
It's implementation was what was terrible.

Also, right off the bat. You knew you were Dovahkiin. There was no surprise, no working towards it, and no "are you really Dovahkiin? Up to you."

The Nerevarine is always a better implementation because it takes a lot of risks and more interesting turns as a concept of a savior.

Tags
damn cubes, general thread, literally video games, video games, wololo