Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Default Why the map is so little.

Hey guys, is it only me or does the map really feels little in World of Warcraft ?

Heck, Alterac is in ruins but it's like half of a map and not a single village, while stromgarde is little in size in comparison with Stormwind and Kul'Tiras. It would be great if every kingdom would be as big as Kul'Tiras at least.

Also there are so many places around the lore that are missing in WoW like Blackwood town, the town of birth of Othmar Garithos or Sunnyglade in Elwynn Forest.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:22 AM

Elune

Well yeah it sucks, everyone would like a bigger and more detailed Azeroth. But that's just not how it was designed and we need to deal with it. There is no lore reason for it (though some writers confuse lore scale and game scale), just developer limitations. That said I think WoW was by far the largest MMO world when it launched, so consider that and give some credit to Blizz.

And you can't just make, say Stromguarde bigger without making the zones next to it bigger too and enlarging and totally redesigning the old world like that would take several expansion's worth of work at current Blizzard pace.

I do like the more "zoomed in" design of the last two expansions but I worry Blizzard, ever gameplay focused, will just canonize gamescale into lore scale and the Broken Isles, Zandalar and Kul Tiras will graduate from islands to continents.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:46 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Well yeah it sucks, everyone would like a bigger and more detailed Azeroth. But that's just not how it was designed and we need to deal with it. There is no lore reason for it (though some writers confuse lore scale and game scale), just developer limitations. That said I think WoW was by far the largest MMO world when it launched, so consider that and give some credit to Blizz.

And you can't just make, say Stromguarde bigger without making the zones next to it bigger too and enlarging and totally redesigning the old world like that would take several expansion's worth of work at current Blizzard pace.

I do like the more "zoomed in" design of the last two expansions but I worry Blizzard, ever gameplay focused, will just canonize gamescale into lore scale and the Broken Isles, Zandalar and Kul Tiras will graduate from islands to continents.
Also, Blizzard already canonized in-game Theramore.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Problemsolver

What really gets to me isn't the gamescale itself, but how the actual in-game map is completely misrepresenting the sizes of the continents and crowding up the ocean.

This right here is the awful map we have. And this is the map from Chronicle, the closest thing we have to a proper scale map, which they could easily use as a template. Which would result in something like this. Wouldn't that be a treat?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Also, Blizzard already canonized in-game Theramore.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:18 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
They've already referred to Zandalar and Kul Tiras as continents in in-game dialogue (though in other places they've called them islands, and on the official site once called Zandalar a 'sub-continent.')
Old 01-05-2019, 03:44 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
They've already referred to Zandalar and Kul Tiras as continents in in-game dialogue (though in other places they've called them islands, and on the official site once called Zandalar a 'sub-continent.')
But...

That's not how subcontinents work!

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-06-2019, 07:12 AM

Wisp

They've also called Kul Tiras a sub-continent. I think we can add that to the list of words Blizzard doesn't know the meaning of, right after "Peninsula".
Old 01-06-2019, 10:13 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nith View Post
They've also called Kul Tiras a sub-continent. I think we can add that to the list of words Blizzard doesn't know the meaning of, right after "Peninsula".
*High Fives* Yyyyep

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 AM

Echo of the Past

Poor Tol Barad.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM

Eternal

I'd say Tol Barad got it rather good actually. Now Gilneas, that's another story.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:34 AM

Arch-Druid

Could still be repurposed in another "phasing" Update.

I'm still wondering if all these World Map and Flight Path Update are a slight sign that they might want to use more of the older zones as phased high lvl content aka Arathi or Darkshore.

I'm not saying more Warfronts, since Blizzard probatly already realized that they didn't workout as intended.

But maybe something like Suramar again. (Reminder: Hearthstone Gadgetzan is supposed to be canon. )