Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default Wisconsin Protests: State Police Pursue Democratic Lawmakers Boycotting Vote

Oh this will not end, or maybe it will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXYSr...mbedded#at=308
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,908

Default

It's absurd.

The concessions they're asking the unions to make with regards to paying a small portion of the cost of their pension and medical benefits will still make their overall benefits package the envy of anyone in the private sector.

Public servants don't deserve to live like kings at taxpayer expense.

But, all you hear is the screaming about how the evil republicans want to take food off the table of poor teachers.

The average teacher in Madison, Wisconsin makes over $100,000 a year.

That's about three times what my sister makes as a teacher here in Arizona.

Maybe my sister is a little underpaid. But 100k is DEFINITELY overpaid.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 AM
jjstraka jjstraka is offline

Arch-Druid
jjstraka's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
It's absurd.

The concessions they're asking the unions to make with regards to paying a small portion of the cost of their pension and medical benefits will still make their overall benefits package the envy of anyone in the private sector.

Public servants don't deserve to live like kings at taxpayer expense.

But, all you hear is the screaming about how the evil republicans want to take food off the table of poor teachers.

The average teacher in Madison, Wisconsin makes over $100,000 a year.

That's about three times what my sister makes as a teacher here in Arizona.

Maybe my sister is a little underpaid. But 100k is DEFINITELY overpaid.
Average salary is $51,000 a year. And this isn't even ABOUT the concessions. They have already indicated they would be willing to live with almost all of them. Walker is trying to strip them of all their collective bargaining rights. That is what this is about. And in a world were corporations are now afforded the same rights as people, the same legal standard shoud apply to unions as well, or the individual will be smothered.
__________________
I used to say "sex, drugs, and rock and roll." As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without rock and roll.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstraka View Post
Average salary is $51,000 a year. And this isn't even ABOUT the concessions. They have already indicated they would be willing to live with almost all of them. Walker is trying to strip them of all their collective bargaining rights. That is what this is about. And in a world were corporations are now afforded the same rights as people, the same legal standard shoud apply to unions as well, or the individual will be smothered.
This^
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
jjstraka jjstraka is offline

Arch-Druid
jjstraka's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,160

Default

And not only that, but Walker is the one who CREATED the budget shortfall in the first place. 137 million of the 140 million budget shortfall is the direct result of his corporate welfare tax giveaways. He did it on purpose, and then used it as a pre-text to dismantle the public unions. Fuck him, seriously. I hope this proto-fascist gets recalled as soon as possible (which is after he has been in office for a year). I also find it funny that the unions that he is targeting are more likely to be staffed by women than the ones he exempted (police and firefighters). And even they are standing with the activists.
__________________
I used to say "sex, drugs, and rock and roll." As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without rock and roll.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,908

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstraka View Post
Average salary is $51,000 a year. And this isn't even ABOUT the concessions. They have already indicated they would be willing to live with almost all of them. Walker is trying to strip them of all their collective bargaining rights. That is what this is about. And in a world were corporations are now afforded the same rights as people, the same legal standard shoud apply to unions as well, or the individual will be smothered.
That's not what I read. And even if I concede your $51k average, it's high.

You're reading nothing but leftist propaganda, as usual, and regurgitating the same.

Unions are dog-shit for the economy, and they suck for their workers, and that's a fact. If you pay union dues, you're a fucking moron. You're way better off WITHOUT collective bargaining. Federal labor laws provide all the protection you need.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Unions served a purpose in the early days of industrialization and such, but now they've really become extensively bloated and inefficient, really focused more on the comfort of its members rather than doing their jobs. A lot of unions (I wouldn't say all, because I don't know about every single union) need to be stripped bare, reworked or otherwise abolished. Again, I'm a nominal "New York Liberal", but that's actually one of the reasons why I dislike unions: because my morning commute is shitty in part due to the Metropolitan Transit Workers' Union.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,908

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Unions served a purpose in the early days of industrialization and such, but now they've really become extensively bloated and inefficient, really focused more on the comfort of its members rather than doing their jobs. A lot of unions (I wouldn't say all, because I don't know about every single union) need to be stripped bare, reworked or otherwise abolished. Again, I'm a nominal "New York Liberal", but that's actually one of the reasons why I dislike unions: because my morning commute is shitty in part due to the Metropolitan Transit Workers' Union.
Yeah, you said it better than I did.

I've worked at several companies that have been partly unionized, and have a few relatives who pay union dues.

They don't get a damned thing for their money. The union bosses get fat taking a cut of your check, they don't "collectively bargain" for anything you can't get on your own, and they don't do shit for you when you really need help.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 AM
jjstraka jjstraka is offline

Arch-Druid
jjstraka's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Unions served a purpose in the early days of industrialization and such, but now they've really become extensively bloated and inefficient, really focused more on the comfort of its members rather than doing their jobs. A lot of unions (I wouldn't say all, because I don't know about every single union) need to be stripped bare, reworked or otherwise abolished. Again, I'm a nominal "New York Liberal", but that's actually one of the reasons why I dislike unions: because my morning commute is shitty in part due to the Metropolitan Transit Workers' Union.
Really, Unions need to be abolished?? Under what legal precedent exactly?? The Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling gave corporations the same rights as citizens and now allows them to spend UNLIMITED amounts of money to influence political campaigns. The unions wisely incorporated to counter this. This ruling is a darling of the right-wing, but they only want it to apply to the corporations, not unions. Tough shit on that one, if the oligarchs are playing this game then the unions can play by the same rules. For christ sake, there are Republican's in the Missouri House that want to abolish child labor laws.

And Bolvar, I will say again, the unions have come out and said that they are willing to accept every single, solitary bit of Walker's cuts. All of them. And yet he is still insisting on stripping them of their collective bargaining rights. Why?? Because this isn't about the budget. The Wisconsin budget had a surplus when Walker came in. What did he do?? He immediately passed over $130 million dollars in corporate tax breaks (responsible for 90% of the "defecit") and then declared a budgetary emergency that he created on purpose, and then decides that this would be a good time to make teachers and prison guards take a benefits cut. So scum like the Koch brothers can buy another vacation home. This has nothing to do with the budget, it has everything to do with destroying the middle-class. I love how he says that "He stands with the taxpayers of Wisconsin over the unions." I must have missed the part where union members don't pay state taxes in Wisconsin.
__________________
I used to say "sex, drugs, and rock and roll." As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without rock and roll.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.