Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-24-2015, 05:56 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Warlock Patch 6.3 - Fantasies of Farahlon

There has to be a major content patch before Warlords of Draenor is finished right?

When the next expansion is announced at Blizzcon this year in November, normally there's still a few months of beta-testing left before the content is ready to ship. So without another patch in-between now and then, that's at least seven months of Hellfire Citadel before Q1 2016 and I can't believe Blizzard would let the payers stew that long fighting demons - it would be Icecrown Citadel all over again. And recently a developer (Mumper?) has already said that patch 6.1 shouldn't have been marketed as a major update as its content consisted mainly of small balancing tweaks and features that should have shipped with Warlords of Draenor.

So surely there has to be a patch 6.3, yes? And the only reasonable place left on Draenor for us to go is Farahlon because presumably its a zone that the world designers and artists have already worked on a bit. There hasn't been any new dungeons either post-expansion which is unusual, so either Blizzard's producers want to get WoD out the door as quickly as they can or there is more of Draenor to come. It would be too scandalous for Blizzard to be finished with the expansion right now, I don't think even Activision-Blizzard would be that short-sighted and greedy.

So are we calling it quits with Draenor after Archimonde or not? Because I don't want to be grinding demons for nearly a year before I can vacation in Tel Abim.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
There has to be a major content patch before Warlords of Draenor is finished right?

When the next expansion is announced at Blizzcon this year in November, normally there's still a few months of beta-testing left before the content is ready to ship. So without another patch in-between now and then, that's at least seven months of Hellfire Citadel before Q1 2016 and I can't believe Blizzard would let the payers stew that long fighting demons - it would be Icecrown Citadel all over again. And recently a developer (Mumper?) has already said that patch 6.1 shouldn't have been marketed as a major update as its content consisted mainly of small balancing tweaks and features that should have shipped with Warlords of Draenor.

So surely there has to be a patch 6.3, yes? And the only reasonable place left on Draenor for us to go is Farahlon because presumably its a zone that the world designers and artists have already worked on a bit. There hasn't been any new dungeons either post-expansion which is unusual, so either Blizzard's producers want to get WoD out the door as quickly as they can or there is more of Draenor to come. It would be too scandalous for Blizzard to be finished with the expansion right now, I don't think even Activision-Blizzard would be that short-sighted and greedy.

So are we calling it quits with Draenor after Archimonde or not? Because I don't want to be grinding demons for nearly a year before I can vacation in Tel Abim.
Nah it's just another content drought.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Elune

Well, there's a minimum of 5 months of beta testing for the next expansion. Even if the beta starts immediately after the announcement in November (which is itself not likely), we'd be looking at an April 2016 release date at best. That's 10 months of Hellfire Citadel. What's more likely is we'll see the beta start 2-4 months after BlizzCon, with a 12-14 month gap between 6.2 and the next expansion releasing, comparable to the wait between Siege of Orgrimmar and Warlords.

I would normally agree that there has to at least be a 6.3, with how barren this expansion's content release cycle has been thus far, but honestly, I'm not really sure any more. Blizzard has been very coy about this, only stating that there is "more story to tell". They've constantly asserted the idea that they want annual expansions (which means the beta for the next expansion would already have to be underway, so that idea is out). The fact that we haven't heard even a confirmation for 6.3 or 6.4 existing likely means they won't.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:03 PM

Elune

6.2 makes it clear they want to be done with this expansion already.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:03 PM

Banished

Old 06-24-2015, 06:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
6.2 makes it clear they want to be done with this expansion already.
There's also the fact that 6.2 has 2 PVP seasons worth of gear in the files, and that Hellfire Citadel had end cinematics (which only the end tiers ever have). I'm not thinking a 6.3 or 6.4 is very likely, with those two things in mind.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:15 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Grunt

But Blizzard can't have players doing nothing for ten months. The producers wouldn't allow that because it could mean losing a million subscribers or more. Assuming it takes at least five months (a generous amount) before players have devoured all of 6.2's content, that's nearly half a year of nothing before 7.0. It would be two quarters of no growth or losses, they won't afford that.

Even if its just a few dungeons or a daily zone, there has to be more content left. Even the Ruby Dragonshrine was better than a few more months of Icecrown Citadel. Not unless the next expansion is far more developed at this stage than previous ones and will be ready to ship not long after Blizzcon - would could be possible, but sounds improbable.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
But Blizzard can't have players doing nothing for ten months. The producers wouldn't allow that because it could mean losing a million subscribers or more. Assuming it takes at least five months (a generous amount) before players have devoured all of 6.2's content, that's nearly half a year of nothing before 7.0. It would be two quarters of no growth or losses, they won't afford that.

Even if its just a few dungeons or a daily zone, there has to be more content left. Even the Ruby Dragonshrine was better than a few more months of Icecrown Citadel. Not unless the next expansion is far more developed at this stage than previous ones and will be ready to ship not long after Blizzcon - would could be possible, but sounds improbable.
But they have done exactly that for the last 3 expansions?

Yes, it's insane and nonsensical that they'd keep repeating these same mistakes and doing irreversible damage to their playerbase... but there's no evidence to suggest they're going to avoid it this time around. There's frankly more evidence to the contrary. It's horrible, but it's completely believable that we'll be in Hellfire Citadel for 10-14 months.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:21 PM

Elune

Quote:

Blizzard has shown time and time again that they don't learn.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
But Blizzard can't have players doing nothing for ten months. The producers wouldn't allow that because it could mean losing a million subscribers or more.
Lawl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:28 PM

Elune

It's different this time. They just lost a good chunk of players in Q1. A disastrous amount to any normal game. Even still I don't think they could support another Q1 like quater. Honestly, even the most hardcover fans of Wow might quit after a year or so of 6.2. They need to bring players back or Warlords of Draenor will make Cataclysm look peaceful.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:30 PM

Elune

But are they willing or even able to divert art and content teams to making new content? Bad content can be as damaging as no content.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
But are they willing or even able to divert art and content teams to making new content? Bad content can be as damaging as no content.
They're capable of making good content. They need to draw the players back in.

The question is if they're willing to actually work on the game and spend some money on it.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
It's different this time. They just lost a good chunk of players in Q1. A disastrous amount to any normal game. Even still I don't think they could support another Q1 like quater. Honestly, even the most hardcover fans of Wow might quit after a year or so of 6.2. They need to bring players back or Warlords of Draenor will make Cataclysm look peaceful.
While people here might feel strongly about the lore (for obvious reasons), it was Cataclysm's poor content release cycle that killed it for most people. Somehow, Warlords of Draenor is looking to have an even worse content release cycle, comparatively.

6.1 wasn't a major content patch, even by Blizzard's own admission. We aren't even getting a third raid tier, or new dungeons. Cataclysm had both. All we have in WOD is 6.2, which is a pretty solid patch, but a single patch isn't an entire expansion's content release cycle. It's one single patch. :/
Old 06-24-2015, 06:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
I bet the upcoming Q2 report will be worse.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:49 PM

Elune

The other problem with WoD is that it just now feels semi-complete. 6.1 should have been 6.0. Tanann should have been in the base game. Changes to the citadel would have been more impressive after.

And part of me hopes Q2 is worse so they get an even bigger kick in the ass to actually produce something that isn't store mounts.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM

Elune

Whatever Levi speaks of in this thread is the truth.

Blizzard's track record speaks for itself.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 PM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

I'm not sure I believe in 5.3, but if it does come, I wouldn't expect a raid patch. Farahlon may just be the next "Timeless Isle." Perhaps just some PVE stuff to more properly set up next expansion. Maybe followup on Wrathion?
Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Not my x.3 Horadric cube patch, which is actually real, not worth my time.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:56 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I'm not sure I believe in 5.3, but if it does come, I wouldn't expect a raid patch. Farahlon may just be the next "Timeless Isle." Perhaps just some PVE stuff to more properly set up next expansion. Maybe followup on Wrathion?

Anyways, it's gonna be Zul'Farahlon. The Trolllords of Draenor gotta bend the knee to Jin'jin.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post

Anyways, it's gonna be Zul'Farahlon. The Trolllords of Draenor gotta bend the knee to Jin'jin.
Stay this madness.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:20 AM

Elune

It won't be a WoW expac without a troll dungeon/island/bosses.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:00 AM

Warden

Dis was our land... Troll-Draenor land!
Old 07-02-2015, 07:06 AM

Elune

24:30

No Farahlon confirmed.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
24:30

No Farahlon confirmed.
Noitora don't deceive people with such anti-Netherstorm prejudice.

Cory said that there was a lot of concept art and story ideas created for Farahlon but there wasn't a good opportunity to complete it then. "But does that mean we won't do it? Totally not." So while there likely won't be any new raids, 6.3 or some later patch could have Farahlon so that all the work they've done on the zone so far isn't wasted.

Tags
speculation, warlords of draenor