Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I should've known better than to get my hopes up for 'The Wolverine'. First Aronofsky leaves and now McQuarrie's script is being rewritten. By the guy who scripting the Escape From Witch Mountain remake.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:18 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
I should've known better than to get my hopes up for 'The Wolverine'. First Aronofsky leaves and now McQuarrie's script is being rewritten. By the guy who scripting the Escape From Witch Mountain remake.
That's pretty lame, though I don't know who either of those are really well but since you're more educated on it I can discern that I too would equally hate this.

Hugh Jackman is a pretty good Wolverine, kinda sucks that he has Fox behind his back.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
That's pretty lame, though I don't know who either of those are really well but since you're more educated on it I can discern that I too would equally hate this.

Hugh Jackman is a pretty good Wolverine, kinda sucks that he has Fox behind his back.
Darren Aronofsky, who was at one point to direct it, directed films such as Pi, Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan. McQuarrie wrote the Usual Suspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Eternal

Did anyone notice the kid in Superman Returns wearing Aquaman pajamas?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Kneel before Industrial Light and Magic!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Black Swan
OHGOD

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM

Eternal

Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Was Captain Britain ever that popular in the UK?

I mean, I'd watch it, but I'm a comic book dork. I don't know if he's as iconic internationally though.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM

He was popular in the UK for a while, yeah. That was mainly when Marvel had their own UK thing instead of going through Panini, which meant they could actually make the books themselves in Britain and not have to rely on getting them from America. That was the era that Alan Moore wrote for Marvel.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure. I don't think Captain Britain would go well. There would probably be a feel of it just being 'Captain America - but British' to non-Comic fans, methinks.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Obviously it's time for a Falcon movie.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
He was popular in the UK for a while, yeah. That was mainly when Marvel had their own UK thing instead of going through Panini, which meant they could actually make the books themselves in Britain and not have to rely on getting them from America. That was the era that Alan Moore wrote for Marvel.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure. I don't think Captain Britain would go well. There would probably be a feel of it just being 'Captain America - but British' to non-Comic fans, methinks.
Plus, Captain Britain does not have anywhere near the gravitas of Captain America. That's not any comment on the countries themselves, but just on the characters. Captain America is one of Marvel's biggest properties.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM

Interestingly enough, Cap's total foreign gross topped its US gross.

All those people worrying that it wouldn't do well overseas now look kinda silly.
EDIT- I just watched X-Men: First Class again. I liked the foreshadowing in the beginning with Magneto in the hotel room when he shoots the coin at Shaw's picture and it gets stuck in the wall right were his forehead is.

Good movie, hopefully the inevitable sequel doesn't disappoint.

EDIT 2 -Justice League: Doom.

Man, the voice casting alone makes me want this.

Quote:
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Site Staff - Admin

The Avengers! They're assembling!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
EDIT 2 -Justice League: Doom.

Man, the voice casting alone makes me want this.
Justice League: Doom trailer.

The voice casting is a strong selling point, but as impressive as Vandal Savage sounds the Legion of Doom just doesn't feel the same without Lex Luthor at the helm. And what's Star Sapphire doing with the villains? Congrats to Cyborg, though, for landing another role in an animated movie. It seems DC is serious about promoting him.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 AM

Joss Whedon explains his vision for Wonder Woman.

Would've been interesting if this had actually happened.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 12:59 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I've always found myself peeved when Joss Whedon discusses movies. It's a personal thing, really. He's so brilliant at crafting television shows (Serenity shined because of Firefly), and television is such a stronger medium for story telling than film.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I've always found myself peeved when Joss Whedon discusses movies. It's a personal thing, really. He's so brilliant at crafting television shows (Serenity shined because of Firefly), and television is such a stronger medium for story telling than film.
Hypothetically, I suppose I could see the argument. But in practice movies almost always outshine television. For every Breaking Bad there are a dozen shows that suck at storytelling and far more movies that are good at it.

Really, it depends on what the story being told is

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Hypothetically, I suppose I could see the argument. But in practice movies almost always outshine television. For every Breaking Bad there are a dozen shows that suck at storytelling and far more movies that are good at it.

Really, it depends on what the story being told is
I disagree. I think because of the nature of movies causes it to be inherently weaker. They are much shorter so they have to try to get a lot of ideas into a single story arc, less time to develop characters in nuanced ways and thus you care about the characters a little less.

That isn't to say you can't overcome those weak points, and that isn't to say you can't surpass a lot of television shows in story telling either. But I generally feel that when it comes to story telling, television is the better medium. It's true, there are a lot of shitty shows out there. A LOT. but there are a lot of shitty books as well, and shitty movies. The shitty things shouldn't be considered when looking at what a medium is capable of.

So yeah, it's dependent on 10000 different things. Genre, the story, the nature of the characters, your overall goal with the idea, etc, etc...

But time and time again I've found myself blown away by television shows simply because they have the benefit of being able to pace themselves and be patient with their story, they have the benefit of creating multiple cohesive story arcs in their time and they have the time to present a character and show me why I should care about them in subtle ways. You know, suddenly it's episode 7 and I'm super interested in this guy who didn't seem like anything particularly special in episode 1.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 AM

Looking at the shit-to-good ratio of things, television's is much higher than things like film, books, etc. The list of all-time great television shows in the plot department is far shorter than a similar list for films, and comparing the two the films tend to outshine the television shows.

Not that television can't be done well. Breaking Bad is an example of television done tremendously well. But shows like that are in the minority, and its a much smaller minority than that of films.

Quote:
Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 AM

Wink

Yeah, I guess my point is that I think more people SHOULD recognize the near endless possibilities of story telling on TV more. So that the shit-to-good ratio shrinks (of course, when isn't that a bad thing in any case). I'm really an advocate for getting away from the notion of "the boob tube" and realizing that as a media it can be just as engaging, stimulating and in depth as those fantastic pieces of written literature everyone knows and loves.

I think it's a minority because people are still warming up to the idea that it's not just a rare occurance when a television show can beat you over the head with it's well made goodness. Breaking Bad is fucking phenomenal and is easily one of the best shows I've ever watched. Mad Men too. AMC one day was just like "Well shit, we can make really good shows."

And it doesn't even have to be a drama, if you can create compelling characters and put them into a unique and interesting world, be it fictional or based in reality, it will work well in any genre. Venture Brothers, for example: A cartoon with consistent and interesting characters and really solid over arching plots. It changes and evolves as it goes on, becoming stagnant and syndicated is what stops a show from being great.

Even when you look at a cartoon like Adventure Time, which is wholly silly. They created an incredibly world that we slowly learn more and more about, as ridiculous as it is I'm fascinated by it. They have dabbled in some bigger plot things, and I think it worked out really well. They have the respect for their show to let something happen in one episode, and elaborate on it later. The more you see this, the more you will see television evolve.

Last edited by Porimlys; 11-09-2011 at 01:44 AM..
Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 AM

Eternal

I've always been of the opinion that television is better for characters and film is better for plot (as TV shows tend to drag). I also prefer movies since I have never been a big fan of the stand-alone episode format that most dramas tend to go with. A couple of years ago the story of Supernatural was about the world coming to an end, but through about half of the season this wasn't addressed. For some reason it wasn't priority and they went back to chasing "freak of the week" monsters. I guess stand-alone episodes work better for syndication, though.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:32 AM

I think syndication is bad. Stand alone episodes are okay, if used right. Look at Buffy or Firefly, the bulk of that show is individual "freak of the week" as you said, but they utilized the stories to develop characters in a significant way. So when the big plot reared its head, the character development of that season can play into it.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Tags
batman, dc comics, entertainment, superman, trickster's tag