Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 09-18-2011, 12:20 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Same here. I resubscribed anyways but mostly out of loyalty...
First mistake was showing loyalty to a company who has shown they are more than happy to take your money by any means possible. :p
Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I think people demonize Blizzard far too much for wanting to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-18-2011, 03:05 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrysa View Post
Cannot believe how disappointed I was when the first issue came out and I didn't feel like reading half the articles.
Yeah, pretty much everything was already known. You get the same for free, and better quality, at any wow blog or fansite. They did an awful PR job regarding that, because anyone interested in a magazine reads those sites anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I think people demonize Blizzard far too much for wanting to make money.
I think we demonize them for milking too much money. Making money and milking money are two different things.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

How is Blizz "milking" money? One thing a lot of people forget about the games Blizz puts out is that they receive and require constant streams of patching and content after their release, meaning in order to fund them and future games they need more sources of revenue outside the sales of actual games.

Plus, when a game like WoW becomes a cultural phenomenon (as it has/did, depending on your opinion of whether or not WoW is "dead") it expands into other media. I mean, who could forget the cheesiness of "Nintendo Power"?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 AM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

The magazine probably would have been fine had it been focused differently. Trying to focus it too much on current things kind of killed it. It should have been used for more things in the past and more behind the scenes looks.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 AM

Ranger
BattleTag: Sayomara#1618

I know if you go back to the Editors of Azeroth Podcast it seemed like even in the early stages there were commutations issues between the magazine and blizzard.

It seems like the project just never reached it potential on any level.

I do wonder what the point of the massive lore dump was in issue 5, was it just to sell copy it was referenced in the Ask the Cdevs 2, or was this some larger change that they hoped would get people more interested?

Either way it seem to little to late.
My Everything Podcast: Far Afield
Old 09-18-2011, 11:11 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post

I think we demonize them for milking too much money. Making money and milking money are two different things.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I mean, who could forget the cheesiness of "Nintendo Power"?
Which is actually still running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Huntress

Does anyone know how many issues you got for $69.95? I vaguely remember it was 4, but I ended up getting issue 5 and I didnít resub. Just curious to know if I got the pets free like Omacron did.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

It was $34,95 for 4 issues so you didn't get lucky. Anyways do you guys think I should be worried because I haven't gotten any kind of confirmation, that I accepted the offer, besides the codes? Are they going to scam me and leave me homeless?
Old 09-19-2011, 04:23 PM

Huntress

Thanks for the input. I couldn't remember if i signed up for 1 or 2 years. As for confirmation, I would say the email with the codes is it. I took the 6 ingame pets offer and all I got was the email with the codes, nothing else.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Could be. Still a separate email confirming explicitly that they are sending Kwurky and that I now have a PC-Gamer subscription would have been nice.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 AM

Eternal

Quote:
How is Blizz "milking" money? One thing a lot of people forget about the games Blizz puts out is that they receive and require constant streams of patching and content after their release, meaning in order to fund them and future games they need more sources of revenue outside the sales of actual games.

Plus, when a game like WoW becomes a cultural phenomenon (as it has/did, depending on your opinion of whether or not WoW is "dead") it expands into other media. I mean, who could forget the cheesiness of "Nintendo Power"?
I might be misunderstanding what Blizzard "milking money" is referring to in this case, but I do feel that Blizz is exploiting by selling the digital goods like pets or mounts. I know you made a comment in the past about selling digital goods in a discussion about piracy. Paying the monthly subscription fees is paying for Blizzard's work in making patches and server upkeep. Pets and mounts are only created once, and should be covered by the subscription payments (It's not like the modelers worked overtime to make them special...in fact almost all of them share most of their model and animations with an already existing model anyway, so it's not like it took a long time to create). I don't see how the offer of mini-pets is any kind of reimbursement for a magazine subscription. They're paying you back without losing any of the money you gave them.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Reminder - the offer or whatever expires tomorrow.

I sent off my refund snail mail this morning. I wrote in the letter that I would gladly accept the kwurky plush in leiu of money Long shot, but figured I'd ask. If they have a bunch lying around, it's probably cheaper for them.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:08 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I just got an email from Blizzard apologizing for the whole mess. The email included a code for the celestial steed mount, so see if you got that.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I just got an email from Blizzard apologizing for the whole mess. The email included a code for the celestial steed mount, so see if you got that.
Same here. Seems like everyone will get one regardless of how much they spent.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
I just found this in my spam folder (stupid spam filter *grumble*)