Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
awesome!


I believe in a higher power, I don't think whoever it is gives 2 shits about humanity however.

I also am pretty sure it's an alien.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Orifiel Whitedeer Orifiel Whitedeer is offline

Warden
Orifiel Whitedeer's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 763

Default

*eats popcorn and watches the fun*

Hey when you atheists and Christians kill each other off can we pagans have the earth back? K thx. Wait crap...the Muslims will still be around x_x fiddle sticks.
__________________
- Ori Whitedeer

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Ded Chikn Ded Chikn is offline

Elune
Ded Chikn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Marylan- *gunshot*
Posts: 6,315
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Default

I knew that was coming.

I believed in aliens before it was a meme!
/hipster glasses
__________________
"Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite."
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,584
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
"No, wait... let me mock your silly Christianity and call it false, and then insist that I know Jesus better than you do and remind you that you need to roll over and just peacefully absorb my attacks."
I wasn't mocking Christianity. I was trying to defend it. I think implying that Jesus would be ok with violence on behalf of the church or the Bible is a lot more offensive. I like how you imply that your being a Christian automatically makes you an authority on Biblical knowledge - and no one else could have possibly read the Bible before, because if they did they would obviously see things your way. I also like how you assume that anything anyone says about Jesus or the Bible is being made up or being asspulled on the spot.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 10-14-2011 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,902

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orifiel Whitedeer View Post
*eats popcorn and watches the fun*

Hey when you atheists and Christians kill each other off can we pagans have the earth back? K thx. Wait crap...the Muslims will still be around x_x fiddle sticks.
Christians and atheists generally get along. Muslims are the only modern cult with a "JOIN US OR DIE" edict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
I like how you imply that your being a Christian automatically makes you an authority on Biblical knowledge - and no one else could have possibly read the Bible before, because if they did they would obviously see things your way. I also like how you assume that anything anyone says about Jesus or the Bible is being made up or being asspulled on the spot.

I'm pretty sure I know the Bible better than you do.

Jesus was a pacifist, for a reason. He was also a virgin, for a reason. Doesn't mean he expects the rest of the world to remain celibate.

Edit (since you clarified your point) - Aggression on Biblical grounds is difficult to justify. Self-defense is not.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Last edited by Bolvar; 10-14-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Faine Faine is offline

Arch-Druid
Faine's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In my own mind.
Posts: 1,546
BattleTag: Faine#1139

Default

I do believe there is some type of higher power but I can't really say for sure if thats true or not.

So...agnostic theism?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,584
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
I'm pretty sure I know the Bible better than you do.
Not trying to get into a Vacation Bible School-esque Bible quiz, but how do you figure?
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Orifiel Whitedeer Orifiel Whitedeer is offline

Warden
Orifiel Whitedeer's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Christians and atheists generally get along. Muslims are the only modern cult with a "JOIN US OR DIE" edict.
FINE then when you Christians, Atheists, and MUSLIMS finish killing each other off...

Though, Bolvar, not every Christian is as open minded as you. I know many of us pagan types still fear "witch burnings" especially in the bible belt.

Hell paganism didn't start getting "tolerated" until about 50 years ago in the US (though Europe had a pagan rival period in the 1920's and 30's). Nevermine that most modorn Christian traditions were assimilated from pagan traditions...

And to many Christians, my mother included, calling someone an atheist is a massive insult.
__________________
- Ori Whitedeer

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,902

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
Not trying to get into a Vacation Bible School-esque Bible quiz, but how do you figure?
1. I'm confident in the years I've actually spent studying the Bible.

2. Your flippant comments on the topic reveal a lack of knowledge relative to my own. You don't have to be a Christian to understand the Bible; but few non-Christians bother to actually study it in depth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orifiel Whitedeer View Post
FINE then when you Christians, Atheists, and MUSLIMS finish killing each other off...

Though, Bolvar, not every Christian is as open minded as you. I know many of us pagan types still fear "witch burnings" especially in the bible belt.

Hell paganism didn't start getting "tolerated" until about 50 years ago in the US (though Europe had a pagan rival period in the 1920's and 30's). Nevermine that most modorn Christian traditions were assimilated from pagan traditions...

And to many Christians, my mother included, calling someone an atheist is a massive insult.
Seriously, when was the last time anyone burned a witch in this country?
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Orifiel Whitedeer Orifiel Whitedeer is offline

Warden
Orifiel Whitedeer's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post

Seriously, when was the last time anyone burned a witch in this country?

That was why there were "" around the term. silly. What I meant was people still aren't accepting and, near where I live, people aren't afraid to say, burn down buildings of places they don't like and if those places happen to be non-christian homes or churches the cops tend to "loose" evidence. :/
__________________
- Ori Whitedeer

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

I worship Cthulhu.

On a serious note I don't really believe in religion. And yea I'd actually agree with some (not all since sometimes they really go out there) theories that aliens visited this planet (and maybe humans were uplifted by said race) and ancient man proceeded to worship them and like everything else the stories changed over time. I'm willing to give ancient man some credit in ingenuity but there are some constructions out there that would be near impossible even by today's technology.

Last edited by Leviathon; 10-14-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,086
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Agnostic, because that's the only rational thing you can say without overstepping the bounds of current data. I don't know and no current evidence gives me anything to believe in, thus I have no reason to believe in anything. However, by that same track, I cannot say there is nothing either. Thus...agnosticism.

Aliens probably exist(ed), there is more than likely a species of beings more technologically superior to our own somewhere in the billions of stars that exist, and there is most certainly the possibility (however slim) that evolution has brought individuals into a different (possibly higher) state of being than our own. But, I'm not worshiping an alien because they're more evolved than me, I'm just going to appreciate their technological progress and move on with my day.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Hey, you only have to turn the other cheek once. Then it's clobberin' time.
Umm ... no? That's now what Jesus preached at all? Matthew 5:39:

Quote:
But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,902

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orifiel Whitedeer View Post
That was why there were "" around the term. silly. What I meant was people still aren't accepting and, near where I live, people aren't afraid to say, burn down buildings of places they don't like and if those places happen to be non-christian homes or churches the cops tend to "loose" evidence. :/
And I'd say there's a better chance at being persecuted for being a Christian these days than a pagan. I can find a LOT of stories of Christian churches being burned down in the last few weeks in America... can't find any of any other denomination getting torched recently.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Orifiel Whitedeer Orifiel Whitedeer is offline

Warden
Orifiel Whitedeer's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
And I'd say there's a better chance at being persecuted for being a Christian these days than a pagan. I can find a LOT of stories of Christian churches being burned down in the last few weeks in America... can't find any of any other denomination getting torched recently.
Tell that to the Mosques and Hallal meat markets going up around here >.>.

That and coming out as pagan to people is just has difficult as coming out of the closet. I've done it a few times and people will treat you VERY differently. So I stay closeted for the most part as people here either don't care and those who will judge me don't know me by this name anyway.
__________________
- Ori Whitedeer

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,377
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

The problem I have with religion is that throughout history mankind has constantly achieved miracles based on their own abilities- harnessing fire and electricity, erecting great monuments, landing on the moon, and ever since the industrial revolution the rate at which we achieve is accelerating. There's going to be a point in the not-so-distant future where we will be regularly achieving things that exceed even that of supposed gods... so why do we believe in them? Would it not be more prudent to believe in ourselves?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Umm ... no? That's now what Jesus preached at all? Matthew 5:39:
I cannot believe anyone takes anything I say seriously with what I've said here in the past.

I'm not gonna get into what I actually believe because it's just gonna turn into another pointless flamewar. Suffice it to say that I find the majority of you all to be absolute morons waxing philosophical. And it's so very entertaining.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I cannot believe anyone takes anything I say seriously with what I've said here in the past.

I'm not gonna get into what I actually believe because it's just gonna turn into another pointless flamewar. Suffice it to say that I find the majority of you all to be absolute morons waxing philosophical. And it's so very entertaining.
I am a moron for quoting Jesus' own teaching on the matter?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,086
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
And I'd say there's a better chance at being persecuted for being a Christian these days than a pagan. I can find a LOT of stories of Christian churches being burned down in the last few weeks in America... can't find any of any other denomination getting torched recently.
Yes, but who is the burning churches and why? I guarantee if it were all religious extremists from a specific sect we would be seeing a lot more news about it than we are.

Plus, Christians are far from horribly persecuted in the US. You want to play pity cards with me, I have to pretend I'm hispanic when I walk around parts of the south, otherwise I do get a literal lynch mob coming after me.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,902

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orifiel Whitedeer View Post
Tell that to the Mosques and Hallal meat markets going up around here >.>.

That and coming out as pagan to people is just has difficult as coming out of the closet. I've done it a few times and people will treat you VERY differently. So I stay closeted for the most part as people here either don't care and those who will judge me don't know me by this name anyway.
Citation? I can google news search and find half a dozen church burnings recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I am a moron for quoting Jesus' own teaching on the matter?
You're quoting it out of context. Spend five minutes reading a commentary and linguistic analysis on the subject if you don't want to do a whole-Bible study on the matter, and you'll discover Jesus was more than happy to smack down evil when it was required.

The "slap in the face" is literally just that - a slap in the face; Jesus even specifies what cheek, because a backhanded slap (from a right-handed person) would hit your right cheek, and that was considered a great insult at the time.

It wasn't "get your ass kicked and do nothing about it." It was "don't return a cheap insult with one of your own."

Context matters.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I am a moron for quoting Jesus' own teaching on the matter?
You quoted one verse, out on context, in attempt to make yourself look knowledgeable. So...yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Yes, but who is the burning churches and why? I guarantee if it were all religious extremists from a specific sect we would be seeing a lot more news about it than we are.

Plus, Christians are far from horribly persecuted in the US. You want to play pity cards with me, I have to pretend I'm hispanic when I walk around parts of the south, otherwise I do get a literal lynch mob coming after me.
You know Cantus, I'm from Georgia and I live outside of Athens in a little town called Statham. It's just about as redneck, backwards, and uneducated as you can get without intentionally going into the mountains of North Carolina. I have a ton of middle eastern friends. I've never EVER heard them mention times where they've encountered the amount of persecution you claim to have been subjected to so often.

I'm not saying you haven't or they haven't, but for real, unless you're gay, Muslim, dating a black guy, burning American flags all the time, and also voted for Obama, I really have trouble accepting that every instance of persecution you refer to is actually an account of a situation you were in personally.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Last edited by Exxile87; 10-14-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Orifiel Whitedeer Orifiel Whitedeer is offline

Warden
Orifiel Whitedeer's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 763

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Citation? I can google news search and find half a dozen church burnings recently.
Oh I'm not doubting you I'm just saying christians get in a good burning now and again.

Since, generally, pagans only congregate in small, tight-knit groups at a person's house or at UU churches or even just out in the woods, its harder to burn down a building.

Its a whole other matter to say, work with people who go from thinking you're christian to finding out your not. The tone of the interactions change and become "uncomfortable" and they tend to just stay away because they think you "worship Satan" or "will cast evil revenge spells" on them or something retarded.

They don't take the time to ask or have the open mind to accept the difference, and it usually just ends up badly.
__________________
- Ori Whitedeer

My fanfiction: Straydog Saga / Coldnose: COTFT / Imajin That! / Mortally Wounded
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,377
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

...The last time I heard about a church being burned was when Count Grishnak went all crazy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orifiel Whitedeer View Post
Oh I'm not doubting you I'm just saying christians get in a good burning now and again.

Since, generally, pagans only congregate in small, tight-knit groups at a person's house or at UU churches or even just out in the woods, its harder to burn down a building.

Its a whole other matter to say, work with people who go from thinking you're christian to finding out your not. The tone of the interactions change and become "uncomfortable" and they tend to just stay away because they think you "worship Satan" or "will cast evil revenge spells" on them or something retarded.

They don't take the time to ask or have the open mind to accept the difference, and it usually just ends up badly.
I went to a pagan moon ceremony once that turned out to be nothing more than college girls getting naked and fucking each other to please their goddess, while the guys they invited were allowed to watch and, if they converted, were allowed to participate.

I have trouble accepting paganism as a valid "religion." Perhaps you could explain it to me and clear up my confusion.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,584
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I went to a pagan moon ceremony once that turned out to be nothing more than college girls getting naked and fucking each other to please their goddess, while the guys they invited were allowed to watch and, if they converted, were allowed to participate.

I have trouble accepting paganism as a valid "religion." Perhaps you could explain it to me and clear up my confusion.
So... If I'm understanding what you're saying. Girls getting it on and a pretty sure chance of being able to join in is what deterred you? I can't think of a better religion.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
i don't eat pork

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.