Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
Aw, sad-panda. I love Wc2, but what's not to love about Wc3 & Sc1?
The graphics in both sort of sucked in comparison to the beautiful WC2 pixel art graphics (thankfully SC2 picked up the slack later on, with 3D graphics that managed to match WC2's graphical quality). WC3 introduced cool stuff (such as heroes and autocast), but the game overall left quite a bit to be desired: no naval units/oil, overly character-centered storyline (in WC2 conflicts were to a significant degree less personified; we felt being in charge of a nation's or an alliance's forces, rather than Arthas' - or whoever else's - personal army), the new armor system made little sense and felt less immersive (as in, having a high quantity of armor in almost all situations will mean that the unit is more heavily armored - so there is no need to dissociate the quantity from the "armor type" - other than to forcefully introduce specific countering relationships, even when they don't make sense), the unit speech wasn't as good (for instance: you could feel the resignation to oppression from the WC2 peasant, while the WC3 just felt like a random lad with not much character), the music wasn't as engaging, there was too much micro in WC3 (in WC2 there was already a bit too much, although it was bearable, in WC3 there was a lot more), the tech tree felt more limiting (for instance: all tier 2 upgrades require a keep-level hall and all tier 3 upgrades require a castle-level hall in WC3; in WC2 there was more flexibility, you could choose to pursue blacksmith upgrades even without upgrading your town hall), and so forth.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
Well that's a shame but it's for the best. Even another Blizzard made MMO would likely come-up short against WoW. I can easily see WoW going for another decade in terms of remaining profitable and thus worth providing content for.
Frankly, I'm kind of stunned they thought it was a good idea in the first place. The MMORPG market has clearly shown there's not really going to be MORE people playing them so if people left to go MMO in Titan, then they'd probably leave from WoW.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:55 AM

Elune

So am I the only one here who, especially after Overwatch, thinks that Blizzard could be the one company to actually fill that big Superheroes MMO niche? I know it's joked about their obsession with comics and just making comic book characters in WoW but looking at OW's artstyle they really could have done something great.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:08 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
So am I the only one here who, especially after Overwatch, thinks that Blizzard could be the one company to actually fill that big Superheroes MMO niche? I know it's joked about their obsession with comics and just making comic book characters in WoW but looking at OW's artstyle they really could have done something great.
That's what I was thinking when I was watching the Overwatch trailer at Blizzcon. "Is Blizzard doing city of heroes?"

I think the fact that CoH, CO and DCUO have all failed shows there's probably not that much money in it though. Then again, they were all launched before the Avengers.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
That's what I was thinking when I was watching the Overwatch trailer at Blizzcon. "Is Blizzard doing city of heroes?"
I thought the exact same thing.

Quote:
I think the fact that CoH, CO and DCUO have all failed shows there's probably not that much money in it though. Then again, they were all launched before the Avengers.
Did they really 'fail' by MMO standards though? I mean non-WoW fantasy MMORPG's haven't exactly done swimmingly either. If anything, Superhero MMO's have been the things sustaining themselves better than others. DCU went F2P but was one of the better pioneers for the model and a successful console-MMO, Champion's Online still puts out content even if we don't hear about it much and City of Heroes was still putting in a profit and releasing content to the point that NCSoft closing it was a huge shock to everybody. Heck, CoH put out multiple expansions and content consistently when it launched only a few months after WoW.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:26 PM

Site Staff - Admin

PvP Symbol - Horde

So was Titan the genesis of this new IP of Blizzard's or what? Seems likely that they would cannibalize the creative content for the new game.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
I mean non-WoW fantasy MMORPG's haven't exactly done swimmingly either.
FFXIV's not doing bad for itself after the relaunch. But yeah, WoW is pretty much the Microsoft of MMOs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
So was Titan the genesis of this new IP of Blizzard's or what? Seems likely that they would cannibalize the creative content for the new game.
Yeah, pretty much.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Yeah. Overwatch looks like they took the "engage in battles all over the world as some sort of superhero" aspect and scrapped the "while being a cook at day"-part.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 11-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Yep, they just culled any story or purpose from the game, along with silly features like it being an MMO and Blizzard does "The Sims".

I'm glad that the effort put into it wasn't entirely wasted. Theres nothing more frustrating for the employees and customers than them devoting countless hours and resources into a title just to throw it all in the garbage. I'm not entirely satisfied with what they did with the property as I'd love more of a reason for it to exist outside of just gameplay, but that's not going to be a thing.

The super heroes secret identity thing and designing our own hero could have been interesting, but I don't dislike them having these premade heroes with actual personalities, it's just a shame they have no reason to do what they are doing or villains (except 1 1/2) to fight. I think a big part of the issue was them trying to make it an MMO, you could use these characters to make a pretty engaging singleplayer game with fun minor multiplayer elements, unfortunately all we are getting are the fun minor multiplayer elements.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Elune

Decent post a friend saw on /v/ and pasted me.

Quote:
"[Blizzard] Make good games but tend to fall short of their history of making great ones. The games all generally play well but have some kind of flaw - Diablo 3's auction house, SC2 releasing with BNet 0.2 and killing the custom community. WoW has just been spiralling downwards in terms of content output and feature release to keep it interesting, which is what it badly needs. Hearthstone is just a simple thing that people try to make into more than it is.

Their games are good. The core gameplay is often fluid, intuitive, and there's usually some depth. Back when Torchlight 2 vs D3 was the big thing I still couldn't get over how much better Diablo 3 felt to play, but also couldn't get past the horrific loot system and auction house.

Still one of the only developers making PC games first, though, and don't seem to really shy away from making the games they want to make. Who the fuck else would even try to make something like Starcraft 2 these days? Sure as fuck isn't EA or Ubisoft."
Old 11-14-2014, 03:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Stupid question, but how many gaming companies are out there today? At least big names like EA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:29 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Stupid question, but how many gaming companies are out there today? At least big names like EA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_publisher
Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

So which ones are evil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Elune

All of them.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
All of them.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
All of them.
And none of them. "It's a game about about heroes showing the best of humanity" by murdering eachother for no fucking reason in public.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:03 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garotar View Post
Hmm, what that list told me is that there are apparently a shitloads of Japanese games I haven't played or even heard of.

Tags
vaporware