Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-11-2016, 09:56 PM

Eternal

"The changes in the faction leader stories in Legion came from it being time for a change."

So Blizz axed Vol'jin and Varian just because they felt it was time for a change? I mean, I guess that makes sense for Varian a little. It's a nice transition time for Anduin. But Vol'jin had only just become Warchief... unless they want a transition away from the Kalimdor Horde to a more EK Horde. And if that's the case, they can fuck off.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 PM

Elune

Would pretty fucking awesome if Blizzard decided to spin their own "trope" on its own head. Instead of killing trolls almost every expansion because of some threat they pose, Vol'jin arrives with an army of trolls and helps save the day.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:01 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again; trolls traditionally mummify their dead. It's rather weird and conspicuous for him to be cremated, considering that fire is known to stop troll regeneration.

Either Sylvanas wanted him dead or he needed to make it look like he was very much dead.
C'mon man you worked there, do you honestly think anyone remembered?

They probably killed him because Blizz makes dumb decisions like that.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Would pretty fucking awesome if Blizzard decided to spin their own "trope" on its own head. Instead of killing trolls almost every expansion because of some threat they pose, Vol'jin arrives with an army of trolls and helps save the day.
A troll raid comprised OF trolls rather than RAIDING trolls?
Old 06-11-2016, 10:19 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: AlexWolf#1390

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
"The changes in the faction leader stories in Legion came from it being time for a change."

So Blizz axed Vol'jin and Varian just because they felt it was time for a change? I mean, I guess that makes sense for Varian a little. It's a nice transition time for Anduin. But Vol'jin had only just become Warchief... unless they want a transition away from the Kalimdor Horde to a more EK Horde. And if that's the case, they can fuck off.
Kalimdor horde has lost everything they tried to do for half a decade, EK horde always wins

who should lead the horde? a winner or a loser?

Lothramar for warchief Make Azeroth Great Again
Sylvanas shook her head. Her locks had been pale blond in life, but appeared to be silver, and now they looked almost as white as her sisters. They were the moons, Alleria had teased, calling them Lady Moon and Little Moon, while she and Lirath the eldest and the youngest were the suns of the family, with their bright golden tresses. Alleria .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJe--CGatg
Old 06-11-2016, 10:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post

Killing Varian worked fine and gives tons of storytelling potential to the Alliance. (That Blizzard likely won't meet halfway because they're just not good storytellers anymore.)

Killing Vol'jin doesn't work as good, it just gives the impression that Blizzard doesn't give a single crap about the ancillary races or the characters involved with them.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:05 PM

Ranger

Well it makes for a fun popcorn regardless.

They're pulling strange strings with Overwatch so many some of it will rub off on WoW.

Then Again I come reading this just after doing The latest patch in Final fantasy and the sheer disparity of attention to detail in story telling acumen between the games is enough to make me weep.

Honestly Blizzard just stop pretending you give a fuck about lore and just go full hard stupid. It'll be more honest that way.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:10 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post

They're pulling strange strings with Overwatch so many some of it will rub off on WoW.

Then Again I come reading this just after doing The latest patch in Final fantasy and the sheer disparity of attention to detail in story telling acumen between the games is enough to make me weep.

Honestly Blizzard just stop pretending you give a fuck about lore and just go full hard stupid. It'll be more honest that way.
I think they're way ahead of you on that one, well... so long you look past the occasional video featuring Metzen saying "we care about the lore, it means so much of us blah blah blah".
Old 06-11-2016, 11:12 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I think they're way ahead of you on that one, well... so long you look past the occasional video featuring Metzen saying "we care about the lore, it means so much of us blah blah blah".
There is too much structure left.

Tear down the whole building.

The Characters in Heroes of the Storm are more interesting than anything left in this game.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 PM

World Builder

Quote:

The Characters in Heroes of the Storm are more interesting than anything left in this game.
Anyone else think Xul interacting with any "Good" Characters from WoW would be interesting?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 AM

Elune

They care about the lore, they wouldn't be publishing things like Chronicles otherwise. Whether it is always well-written is very much debatable, but they care. The state of Warcraft lore has always been this way, even in Warcraft 3.

So get your salty asses elsewhere, this has been discussed to death.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:25 AM

Elune

Quote:

Do it.

DISMANTLE.THE.LORE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:40 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Lore is fine. Legion is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:47 AM

Arch-Druid

we need to talk more about how marksman needs lonewolf baseline

also need to get rid of stat squish in expac after legion
Sylvanas shook her head. Her locks had been pale blond in life, but appeared to be silver, and now they looked almost as white as her sisters. They were the moons, Alleria had teased, calling them Lady Moon and Little Moon, while she and Lirath the eldest and the youngest were the suns of the family, with their bright golden tresses. Alleria .

Old 06-12-2016, 01:48 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Vaximillian#2212

Quote:

Dismantle the lore!

Quote:
we need to talk more about how marksman needs lonewolf baseline

also need to get rid of stat squish in expac after legion
1) wrong
2) right
Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
They care about the lore, they wouldn't be publishing things like Chronicles otherwise. Whether it is always well-written is very much debatable, but they care. The state of Warcraft lore has always been this way, even in Warcraft 3.

So get your salty asses elsewhere, this has been discussed to death.
This is true. It was just less apparent when the world was a lot smaller and less detailed.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:21 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
From Blizzplanet's interview with Cory Stockton, Wrathion will not appear in Legion as Blizzard feels he doesn't have anything to do with Legion's story. What?!?

Blizzplanet: In Alpha, Wrathion was part of the Hightotem questline, but in Beta he was replaced by a new Black dragon. Will we see Wrathion later in end-game considering he has been preparing us for the Legion conflict since Mists of Pandaria?

Stockton: I don’t think there is currently another place with Wrathion showing up, but that could be true. He could be in. I’m not overseeing every single quest in the content, but I think we really took him out because we felt it didn’t feel appropriate for what was going on there, the way he was being used didn’t fit in with the questline that we were running in. It just didn’t feel right. It’s why we pulled that. It just didn’t feel like it was the right place. It felt out of place. It wasn’t necessarily like we had to jam in somewhere else because if it felt right then we use it. Yea, currently I don’t think he is in another place in the game.

/slowclap. Well done Blizzard, you've outblizzarded yourself.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 06-12-2016, 02:36 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
Dismantle the lore!

1) wrong
2) right
whats wrong with being able to talent into a pet? I mostly just want careful aim and lonewolf so i dont give a fuck how we get there but bleeds + no pet is important for spec identity

espically the bleed crits, we had those forever

Old 06-12-2016, 02:58 AM

Banished

Quote:

Oh c'mon... please go to FF forums and posting this shit there.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:01 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Something something rebuild the final titan something something prove your faction's superiority to fight the Legion.

I have no idea how they manage to do this.
Like getting lost in three trees.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:23 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Vaximillian#2212

Quote:
whats wrong with being able to talent into a pet? I mostly just want careful aim and lonewolf so i dont give a fuck how we get there but bleeds + no pet is important for spec identity

espically the bleed crits, we had those forever
What's wrong with being able to talent into no pet? This goes both ways. Haven't bleeds been pretty symbolic for a while though?

Not that I actually cared about the talents at this point. Whatever, playing HoI4, about to nuke Osaka as Switzerland.

Last edited by Vaximillian; 06-12-2016 at 03:26 AM..
Old 06-12-2016, 03:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
What's wrong with being able to talent into no pet? This goes both ways. Haven't bleeds been pretty symbolic for a while though?

Not that I actually cared about the talents at this point. Whatever, playing HoI4.
they put the no pet on the same row as the bleeds is the issue

it also makes all the specs more similar to have a pet baseline and I'm pretty sure most people would rather use lonewolf than a pet as pretty much every hunter I've met has used lone wolf and none of the marksmen players want a pet in legion

so its basically forcing you to talent into something and lose out on something that has always been part of marksmans "thing" which was the higher crit chance on high hp targets + bleeds on crits

Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisaragi View Post
Oh c'mon... please go to FF forums and posting this shit there.
While another game shouldn't really be discussed in what is very clearly labled a WoW thread, there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with using games of a similar media to compare and use to discuss WoW's strengths and weaknesses. FF is probably the closest to WoW in game style of its most noteworthy competition and so isn't a bad option for comparison.

That's not to say either is or isn't an outright better game. Personal taste will strongly determine that. However, in how well they handle a particular aspect of the game its quite fair to weight the too games against each other and consider why. FF 14 simply handles its story structure, cohesion and attention to detail better than WoW does.

Though it wasn't me who brought it up, I do use FF 14 as a comparison because I want to see WoW do better. Blizzard is great at thinking up worlds but fail on delivery because they cant track story points or character traits well. Cultural nuance and significant events are missed or outright contradicted which reflects badly on races and characters, twisting the desired impression the developers want to give and ruining the immersion and investment of players who have gotten into the story.

The fact that WoW devs don't have an internal narrative database and actually use WoWpedia as a reference was shocking to me. Its on wonder they have issues. This is a basic writing method techniques which wouldn't break Blizzards design structure to implement.

Listen to interviews from professional writers and you will hear about them having things like walls of post it notes with dot point characteristics of plot points and character traits. FF14 has this too in an integrated lore and translation team. WoW doesn't seem to. Its creative design department doesn't seem to be involved in in game story design.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
They've only said that he won't make an appearance in Highmountain, that doesn't necessarily mean that we won't see him at all in Legion.

His quests there were not even that great either, only the conversations with you (the players) and Brann were cool, with him being sorry for the whole Iron Horde debacle.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:52 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
While another game shouldn't really be discussed in what is very clearly labled a WoW thread, there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with using games of a similar media to compare and use to discuss WoW's strengths and weaknesses. FF is probably the closest to WoW in game style of its most noteworthy competition and so isn't a bad option for comparison.
I said it only to Fenixhart who in each post says that the WoW sucks and FF is great game.

Tags
chronicle, leg expansion, legion, neutrals for everyone