Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #25001  
Old 06-11-2016, 09:56 PM
DerpiusMaximus DerpiusMaximus is offline

Eternal
DerpiusMaximus's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,635

Default

"The changes in the faction leader stories in Legion came from it being time for a change."

So Blizz axed Vol'jin and Varian just because they felt it was time for a change? I mean, I guess that makes sense for Varian a little. It's a nice transition time for Anduin. But Vol'jin had only just become Warchief... unless they want a transition away from the Kalimdor Horde to a more EK Horde. And if that's the case, they can fuck off.
Reply With Quote
  #25002  
Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,433

Default

Would pretty fucking awesome if Blizzard decided to spin their own "trope" on its own head. Instead of killing trolls almost every expansion because of some threat they pose, Vol'jin arrives with an army of trolls and helps save the day.
Reply With Quote
  #25003  
Old 06-11-2016, 10:01 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again; trolls traditionally mummify their dead. It's rather weird and conspicuous for him to be cremated, considering that fire is known to stop troll regeneration.

Either Sylvanas wanted him dead or he needed to make it look like he was very much dead.
C'mon man you worked there, do you honestly think anyone remembered?

They probably killed him because Blizz makes dumb decisions like that.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #25004  
Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,377
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Would pretty fucking awesome if Blizzard decided to spin their own "trope" on its own head. Instead of killing trolls almost every expansion because of some threat they pose, Vol'jin arrives with an army of trolls and helps save the day.
A troll raid comprised OF trolls rather than RAIDING trolls?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25005  
Old 06-11-2016, 10:19 PM
Sakurako Sakurako is offline

Arch-Druid
Sakurako's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,859
BattleTag: AlexWolf#1390

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
"The changes in the faction leader stories in Legion came from it being time for a change."

So Blizz axed Vol'jin and Varian just because they felt it was time for a change? I mean, I guess that makes sense for Varian a little. It's a nice transition time for Anduin. But Vol'jin had only just become Warchief... unless they want a transition away from the Kalimdor Horde to a more EK Horde. And if that's the case, they can fuck off.
Kalimdor horde has lost everything they tried to do for half a decade, EK horde always wins

who should lead the horde? a winner or a loser?


Lothramar for warchief Make Azeroth Great Again
__________________
Sylvanas shook her head. Her locks had been pale blond in life, but appeared to be silver, and now they looked almost as white as her sisters. They were the moons, Alleria had teased, calling them Lady Moon and Little Moon, while she and Lirath the eldest and the youngest were the suns of the family, with their bright golden tresses. Alleria .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJe--CGatg
Reply With Quote
  #25006  
Old 06-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
"The changes in the faction leader stories in Legion came from it being time for a change."

So Blizz axed Vol'jin and Varian just because they felt it was time for a change? I mean, I guess that makes sense for Varian a little. It's a nice transition time for Anduin. But Vol'jin had only just become Warchief... unless they want a transition away from the Kalimdor Horde to a more EK Horde. And if that's the case, they can fuck off.
Killing Varian worked fine and gives tons of storytelling potential to the Alliance. (That Blizzard likely won't meet halfway because they're just not good storytellers anymore.)

Killing Vol'jin doesn't work as good, it just gives the impression that Blizzard doesn't give a single crap about the ancillary races or the characters involved with them.
Reply With Quote
  #25007  
Old 06-11-2016, 11:05 PM
Fenixhart Fenixhart is offline

Ranger
Fenixhart's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 315

Default

Well it makes for a fun popcorn regardless.

They're pulling strange strings with Overwatch so many some of it will rub off on WoW.

Then Again I come reading this just after doing The latest patch in Final fantasy and the sheer disparity of attention to detail in story telling acumen between the games is enough to make me weep.

Honestly Blizzard just stop pretending you give a fuck about lore and just go full hard stupid. It'll be more honest that way.
Reply With Quote
  #25008  
Old 06-11-2016, 11:10 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
Well it makes for a fun popcorn regardless.

They're pulling strange strings with Overwatch so many some of it will rub off on WoW.

Then Again I come reading this just after doing The latest patch in Final fantasy and the sheer disparity of attention to detail in story telling acumen between the games is enough to make me weep.

Honestly Blizzard just stop pretending you give a fuck about lore and just go full hard stupid. It'll be more honest that way.
I think they're way ahead of you on that one, well... so long you look past the occasional video featuring Metzen saying "we care about the lore, it means so much of us blah blah blah".
Reply With Quote
  #25009  
Old 06-11-2016, 11:12 PM
Fenixhart Fenixhart is offline

Ranger
Fenixhart's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 315

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I think they're way ahead of you on that one, well... so long you look past the occasional video featuring Metzen saying "we care about the lore, it means so much of us blah blah blah".
There is too much structure left.

Tear down the whole building.

The Characters in Heroes of the Storm are more interesting than anything left in this game.
Reply With Quote
  #25010  
Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,160

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post

The Characters in Heroes of the Storm are more interesting than anything left in this game.
Anyone else think Xul interacting with any "Good" Characters from WoW would be interesting?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #25011  
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 AM
Jungleluke Jungleluke is offline

Elune
Jungleluke's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 7,272

Default

They care about the lore, they wouldn't be publishing things like Chronicles otherwise. Whether it is always well-written is very much debatable, but they care. The state of Warcraft lore has always been this way, even in Warcraft 3.

So get your salty asses elsewhere, this has been discussed to death.
Reply With Quote
  #25012  
Old 06-12-2016, 01:25 AM
neoshadow neoshadow is offline

Elune
neoshadow's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11,395

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
There is too much structure left.

Tear down the whole building.

The Characters in Heroes of the Storm are more interesting than anything left in this game.
Do it.

DISMANTLE.THE.LORE.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Neocat's got it all figured out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Reply With Quote
  #25013  
Old 06-12-2016, 01:40 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,666
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Lore is fine. Legion is fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #25014  
Old 06-12-2016, 01:47 AM
Sakurako Sakurako is offline

Arch-Druid
Sakurako's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,859
BattleTag: AlexWolf#1390

Default

we need to talk more about how marksman needs lonewolf baseline

also need to get rid of stat squish in expac after legion
__________________
Sylvanas shook her head. Her locks had been pale blond in life, but appeared to be silver, and now they looked almost as white as her sisters. They were the moons, Alleria had teased, calling them Lady Moon and Little Moon, while she and Lirath the eldest and the youngest were the suns of the family, with their bright golden tresses. Alleria .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJe--CGatg
Reply With Quote
  #25015  
Old 06-12-2016, 01:48 AM
Vaximillian Vaximillian is offline

Eternal
Vaximillian's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Loredaeron
Posts: 2,690
BattleTag: Vaximillian#2212

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
There is too much structure left.

Tear down the whole building.

The Characters in Heroes of the Storm are more interesting than anything left in this game.
Dismantle the lore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
we need to talk more about how marksman needs lonewolf baseline

also need to get rid of stat squish in expac after legion
1) wrong
2) right
Reply With Quote
  #25016  
Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 AM
Lutinz Lutinz is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,536

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleluke View Post
They care about the lore, they wouldn't be publishing things like Chronicles otherwise. Whether it is always well-written is very much debatable, but they care. The state of Warcraft lore has always been this way, even in Warcraft 3.

So get your salty asses elsewhere, this has been discussed to death.
This is true. It was just less apparent when the world was a lot smaller and less detailed.
Reply With Quote
  #25017  
Old 06-12-2016, 02:21 AM
Torch Torch is offline

Eternal
Torch's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,279
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
From Blizzplanet's interview with Cory Stockton, Wrathion will not appear in Legion as Blizzard feels he doesn't have anything to do with Legion's story. What?!?

Blizzplanet: In Alpha, Wrathion was part of the Hightotem questline, but in Beta he was replaced by a new Black dragon. Will we see Wrathion later in end-game considering he has been preparing us for the Legion conflict since Mists of Pandaria?

Stockton: I don’t think there is currently another place with Wrathion showing up, but that could be true. He could be in. I’m not overseeing every single quest in the content, but I think we really took him out because we felt it didn’t feel appropriate for what was going on there, the way he was being used didn’t fit in with the questline that we were running in. It just didn’t feel right. It’s why we pulled that. It just didn’t feel like it was the right place. It felt out of place. It wasn’t necessarily like we had to jam in somewhere else because if it felt right then we use it. Yea, currently I don’t think he is in another place in the game.

/slowclap. Well done Blizzard, you've outblizzarded yourself.
__________________
"Terrorism, a job for lazy people and wankers"

If I die, blame it on BfA
Reply With Quote
  #25018  
Old 06-12-2016, 02:36 AM
Sakurako Sakurako is offline

Arch-Druid
Sakurako's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,859
BattleTag: AlexWolf#1390

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
Dismantle the lore!


1) wrong
2) right
whats wrong with being able to talent into a pet? I mostly just want careful aim and lonewolf so i dont give a fuck how we get there but bleeds + no pet is important for spec identity

espically the bleed crits, we had those forever
__________________
Sylvanas shook her head. Her locks had been pale blond in life, but appeared to be silver, and now they looked almost as white as her sisters. They were the moons, Alleria had teased, calling them Lady Moon and Little Moon, while she and Lirath the eldest and the youngest were the suns of the family, with their bright golden tresses. Alleria .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJe--CGatg
Reply With Quote
  #25019  
Old 06-12-2016, 02:58 AM
Kisaragi Kisaragi is offline

Banished
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Kisaragi#11533
Posts: 212

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
Well it makes for a fun popcorn regardless.

They're pulling strange strings with Overwatch so many some of it will rub off on WoW.

Then Again I come reading this just after doing The latest patch in Final fantasy and the sheer disparity of attention to detail in story telling acumen between the games is enough to make me weep.

Honestly Blizzard just stop pretending you give a fuck about lore and just go full hard stupid. It'll be more honest that way.
Oh c'mon... please go to FF forums and posting this shit there.
Reply With Quote
  #25020  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:01 AM
Thornedale Thornedale is offline

Chimaera
Thornedale's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 292

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
/slowclap. Well done Blizzard, you've outblizzarded yourself.
Something something rebuild the final titan something something prove your faction's superiority to fight the Legion.

I have no idea how they manage to do this.
Like getting lost in three trees.
Reply With Quote
  #25021  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:23 AM
Vaximillian Vaximillian is offline

Eternal
Vaximillian's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Loredaeron
Posts: 2,690
BattleTag: Vaximillian#2212

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
whats wrong with being able to talent into a pet? I mostly just want careful aim and lonewolf so i dont give a fuck how we get there but bleeds + no pet is important for spec identity

espically the bleed crits, we had those forever
What's wrong with being able to talent into no pet? This goes both ways. Haven't bleeds been pretty symbolic for a while though?

Not that I actually cared about the talents at this point. Whatever, playing HoI4, about to nuke Osaka as Switzerland.

Last edited by Vaximillian; 06-12-2016 at 03:26 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #25022  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:27 AM
Sakurako Sakurako is offline

Arch-Druid
Sakurako's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,859
BattleTag: AlexWolf#1390

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
What's wrong with being able to talent into no pet? This goes both ways. Haven't bleeds been pretty symbolic for a while though?

Not that I actually cared about the talents at this point. Whatever, playing HoI4.
they put the no pet on the same row as the bleeds is the issue

it also makes all the specs more similar to have a pet baseline and I'm pretty sure most people would rather use lonewolf than a pet as pretty much every hunter I've met has used lone wolf and none of the marksmen players want a pet in legion

so its basically forcing you to talent into something and lose out on something that has always been part of marksmans "thing" which was the higher crit chance on high hp targets + bleeds on crits
__________________
Sylvanas shook her head. Her locks had been pale blond in life, but appeared to be silver, and now they looked almost as white as her sisters. They were the moons, Alleria had teased, calling them Lady Moon and Little Moon, while she and Lirath the eldest and the youngest were the suns of the family, with their bright golden tresses. Alleria .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJe--CGatg
Reply With Quote
  #25023  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:30 AM
Lutinz Lutinz is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,536

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisaragi View Post
Oh c'mon... please go to FF forums and posting this shit there.
While another game shouldn't really be discussed in what is very clearly labled a WoW thread, there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with using games of a similar media to compare and use to discuss WoW's strengths and weaknesses. FF is probably the closest to WoW in game style of its most noteworthy competition and so isn't a bad option for comparison.

That's not to say either is or isn't an outright better game. Personal taste will strongly determine that. However, in how well they handle a particular aspect of the game its quite fair to weight the too games against each other and consider why. FF 14 simply handles its story structure, cohesion and attention to detail better than WoW does.

Though it wasn't me who brought it up, I do use FF 14 as a comparison because I want to see WoW do better. Blizzard is great at thinking up worlds but fail on delivery because they cant track story points or character traits well. Cultural nuance and significant events are missed or outright contradicted which reflects badly on races and characters, twisting the desired impression the developers want to give and ruining the immersion and investment of players who have gotten into the story.

The fact that WoW devs don't have an internal narrative database and actually use WoWpedia as a reference was shocking to me. Its on wonder they have issues. This is a basic writing method techniques which wouldn't break Blizzards design structure to implement.

Listen to interviews from professional writers and you will hear about them having things like walls of post it notes with dot point characteristics of plot points and character traits. FF14 has this too in an integrated lore and translation team. WoW doesn't seem to. Its creative design department doesn't seem to be involved in in game story design.
Reply With Quote
  #25024  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 AM
Jungleluke Jungleluke is offline

Elune
Jungleluke's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 7,272

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
/slowclap. Well done Blizzard, you've outblizzarded yourself.
They've only said that he won't make an appearance in Highmountain, that doesn't necessarily mean that we won't see him at all in Legion.

His quests there were not even that great either, only the conversations with you (the players) and Brann were cool, with him being sorry for the whole Iron Horde debacle.
Reply With Quote
  #25025  
Old 06-12-2016, 03:52 AM
Kisaragi Kisaragi is offline

Banished
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Kisaragi#11533
Posts: 212

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutinz View Post
While another game shouldn't really be discussed in what is very clearly labled a WoW thread, there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with using games of a similar media to compare and use to discuss WoW's strengths and weaknesses. FF is probably the closest to WoW in game style of its most noteworthy competition and so isn't a bad option for comparison.
I said it only to Fenixhart who in each post says that the WoW sucks and FF is great game.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chronicle, leg expansion, legion, neutrals for everyone

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.