Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-04-2017, 08:48 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
I'm sure that they'll write in a couple lines of "justification" to handwave off him being okay with the largest wholesale slaughter of civilians since the Scourge's conquest of Lordaeron, but don't think you'll get anything that will in any reasonable sense, bridge him from his dialogue with Garrosh in Wrath to him being a-ok with this.

Maybe an Old God did it. Who cares? The writers?
Like I said, it really depends. I think there is some justification even Saurfang will accept. The Horde of the Second War did terrible things as well, and he took part in it to secure a home for the Horde. Considering how much of a throw back this is to the original Warcraft games, I think maybe Saurfang would be more accepting from that line of thought. The idea that the Horde will never have a home on Azeroth unless they take it by force is one that is heavily ingrained in pretty much all of the Horde.

Just because Saurfang doesn't condone dishonor, doesn't mean he won't go to War. If Blizzard is REALLY good, we'll get a nice Horde-Exclusive questline where Saurfang visits Hammerfall and reflects on all that Ogrim Doomhammer was willing to do for the Horde, asking himself if he has that strength, that resolve to do what is necessary and accept the evils that come with it. Between Garrosh and then the Iron Horde, and his advancing age, I could see Saurfang being desperate to give the future generations of Orcs a reminder of the nobility that Doomhammer embodied, and ultimately, cast aside for the greater good.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
link please
http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=52575638
Old 11-04-2017, 08:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
What are the chances the Sea Priests all worship a God of the Deep and are working in collusion with his Divine Herald, Azshara?

I mean, goddamn. That outfit literally screams N'zoth worshiper, yet these guys have apparently been on Kul'tiras since forever.
Wait, quillboars? The fuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
That is true. Now that I think about it I am on board with having berserker models, but probably as a customize option for some classes instead of as a sub race.
They could work like worgen, where you can turn back into normal for aesthetic purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkakoanScarecrow View Post

In case any have yet to be enlightened by our queen's glorious visage.
That looks pretty decent and unique. I'm glad not to be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
And presumably the Alliance will do some nonsensical and idiotic shit during those "Faction Ally" quests to make those Nightborne and the Highmountain tauren I saved from the Legion decide that I need to be killed on sight.

The factions are a cancer of forced stupidity. A mechanism for encouraging willful imbecility among the dumbest players. Call me when we get an expansion where we get to assassinate all of the faction leaders and disband the Alliance and the Horde.

They did fuck-all to beat the Legion, and now I'm supposed help these ungrateful morons kill each other again? No thanks. The player factions are detrimental to the entirety of Azeroth at this point and offer nothing to gameplay but archaic and worthless mob-tapping mechanisms that make the game feel broken. The world would be better off if the capitals had all been burned to the ground and the leaders died off bravely in some last stand while we were off successfully driving out the Legion.

It's unclear in just what capacity the Argents still exist at this point. After their losses at the Broken Shore, for all we know they completely joined the new Silver Hand and the Class Orders will be either disbanding and abandoning their bases to rejoin their respective factions. Or Blizz might decide the canon Highlord was a blood elf or a tauren, in which case the Silver Hand could just abstain from getting involved at all.
I wish the Alliance were the evil unstoppable guys this time, thematically like Warlords of Draenor, with the old kingdoms being restored by new characters that start to kick ass and the Horde is about to be no more, but the Old Gods appear and the common threat restores balance again.

But it seems we're back to the Horde smashing his dick against the Alliance. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
On Dalaran, I don't know. Even Private Servers can plop Dalaran down into the hole without much issue. Look at this one down below.

Fixed the link for you. And yeah, I agree, restoring Dalaran would be pretty much a joke effort-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Then halfway through the extension you get berated for fighting a pointless war while the real enemy is the VoidLords of Doom.
Then we get some cringe line about the "true Battle for Azeroth" being against some big evil villain.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 11-04-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Old 11-04-2017, 08:55 AM

Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
link please
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...8#post47735638

This was posted a week before Blizzcon so it's definitely legit.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Well, 'theme' encompasses a lot. I meant architecture.
In a cultural sense, yeah, they seem to be going for the more ancestral human vibe. Moreso than Gilneas.
Well, I don't really know how to tell the difference between different kinds of Medieval architecture.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:59 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Then we get some cringe line about the "true Battle for Azeroth" being against some big evil villain.
They're building up to that "twist"/play on words so obviously it won't be even irritating when it appears.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:17 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
I hadn't (consciously) noticed this before you mentioned it, only that Kul Tiras as a whole gave off a very unsettling feeling, like a old horror movie. Now I understand why.

That's actually very cool.
And thus Kul Tiras was reborn as Germany.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
And thus Kul Tiras was reborn as Germany.
Yeah no, more like Poland from the looks of it. Actually half the monsters look to be straight out Witcher 3 which is of course based upon western slavic mythology. Although those witches might even be inspired by a certain eastern slavic witch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:42 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
Yeah no, more like Poland from the looks of it. Actually half the monsters look to be straight out Witcher 3 which is of course based upon western slavic mythology. Although those witches might even be inspired by a certain eastern slavic witch.
I thought they were just going for a general "fantasy pagan" vibe. Druids are a more Celtic thing, afterall. Probably some Lovecraftian themes as well, since he liked to do that kind of thing and we have Squid Priests. Witches also fit into that general theme.

So yeah, Kul'tiras seems to have a Lovecraftian feel to it, but it's not necessarily what people think of when they hear "Lovecraftian". Same actually goes for the Zandalar. The whole Snake People thing reminds me of Conan, the writer of which was a close friend of Lovecraft and shared elements of their mythos.

So basically, both Kul Tiras and Zandalar have been set up as different kinds of Lovecraftian settings. Kul Tiras being the Old World Pagan shit he often used, and Zandalar being the New World savages with their blood sacrifices to strange gods.

Last edited by Krakhed; 11-04-2017 at 09:49 AM..
Old 11-04-2017, 09:44 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Horde are more powerful, alliance more numerous, that is the theme.

Also g'huun = Hakkar probably.

Last edited by Gurzog; 11-04-2017 at 09:46 AM..
Old 11-04-2017, 09:49 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
I thought they were just going for a general "fantasy pagan" vibe. Druids are a more Celtic thing, afterall. Probably some Lovecraftian themes as well, since he liked to do that kind of thing and we have Squid Priests. Witches also fit into that general theme.

So yeah, Kul'tiras seems to have a Lovecraftian feel to it, but it's not necessarily what people think of when they hear "Lovecraftian". Same actually goes for the Zandalar. The whole Snake People thing reminds me of Conan, the writer of which was a close friend of Lovecraft and shared elements of their mythos.

So basically, both Kul Tiras and Zandalar have been set up as different kinds of Lovecraftian settings.
I think they took druids because witches are else tied to warlocks. Seems a pure reinsurance that their powers are not from demons but tied to corrupted nature which is a pretty big slavic mythology theme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:57 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I think they took druids because witches are else tied to warlocks. Seems a pure reinsurance that their powers are not from demons but tied to corrupted nature which is a pretty big slavic mythology theme.
The Harvest Witches were called Witches just fine. They called these Druids for a reason, and I don't think they're borrowing from any one source. There can be overlap in mythological themes.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Fine. Kul Tiras became the darkest parts of Europe.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 AM

Arch-Druid

So I was reading up on these blood trolls, and wait, they don't worship Hakkar? There's a blood-themed troll tribe and the Loa of Blood isn't their guy?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
So I was reading up on these blood trolls, and wait, they don't worship Hakkar? There's a blood-themed troll tribe and the Loa of Blood isn't their guy?
Their blood god seems to be even more powerful than Hakkar. Seems to me like they made the right choice.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:26 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Their blood god seems to be even more powerful than Hakkar. Seems to me like they made the right choice.
I guess but it seems like such a weird decision to make a new troll blood god when one already exists and is currently out there somewhere.

As for Kul Tiras I like Jaina's new look but miss the old color scheme, I wish her coat was purple. And damn girl get some sleep, look at those bags under her eyes.
I really want a good look at Boralus, I hope it's got a bunch of canals.

Last edited by Asterisk; 11-04-2017 at 10:28 AM..
Old 11-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

So, did anyone notice during the trailer the troll with the SUSPICIOUSLY FAMILIAR Red Mohawk, wearing a Loa Mask? Like what voodoo spirits wear?
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 11-04-2017, 10:36 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

If Vol'jin gets rezzed/comes back in this expansion. I hope he uses that saved arrow to pierce Sylvanas' heart.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:38 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
They serve the Blood God G'huun, who can apparently corrupt other Loa. Hakkar might be one of the lot he took.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:41 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
So, did anyone notice during the trailer the troll with the SUSPICIOUSLY FAMILIAR Red Mohawk, wearing a Loa Mask? Like what voodoo spirits wear?
Vol'jin currently resides within an urn and get's carried around by Thrall.

But speaking of the trailer, I loved how the trolls all had a blend of Horde gear and Troll gear with the voodoo masks.

Quote:
They serve the Blood God G'huun, who can apparently corrupt other Loa. Hakkar might be one of the lot he took.
Wasn't it implied way back that Hakkar has a connection to the Old Gods? Maybe G'huun is what the Blood Trolls call N'zoth?

Last edited by Gromak; 11-04-2017 at 10:44 AM..
Old 11-04-2017, 10:43 AM

Arch-Druid

Yeah my first thought of that troll in the cinematic was Vol'jin too, but if he comes back I expect it to be on Zandalar. Maybe that was Rokhan? The orc was definitely Saurfang.
Quote:
Kind of undermining him when he's been a threat on his own for years, but alright I guess.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:50 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Fine. Kul Tiras became the darkest parts of Europe.
It's pagan. With Lovecraftian tones. The thing everyone always forgets is that the proper Cults of Lovecraft are never some newfangled development. They're old. Things that have always been there, tied to old traditions, but kept obscure or forgotten. They are meant to be pre-christian beliefs who have been worshiped for a long time, thus why they are called old gods.

They aren't people who suddenly go crazy and start worshiping tentacles. They've been worshiping those tentacles for hundreds, if not thousands, of years in their inbred villages. With strange traditions involving witches, worms that walk, or whatever the fuck else you want.

The Twilight Cult is about as far away you can get from actual Lovecraftian themes. It's too new, among other things.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I doubt the night elves will be happy for losing the lands they've been holding for thousands of years.

And, if Alliance does take the entire EK, I doubt the blood elves will be happy as well. The drive to go back and retake what's rightfully theirs will always exist.

That's a stalemate. Some victories, some defeats, ending in a unfulfilling way, and everyone wants still revenge for the losses anyway.
The night elves will just be the game version of the Greeks by losing lands they held for over a millennia.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:55 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_C View Post
I mean, maybe I don't get it because I never played as Forsaken, but I don't see a lot of emotional attachment to Undercity. It's just a place that was available and that they squatted in. Quel'thalas, on the other hand, has been the seat of the High/Blood Elves for millennia.
You don't need to have played the Forsaken to get it. The Forsaken were citizens of Lordaeron before it fell to the Scourge.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:55 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Wasn't it implied way back that Hakkar has a connection to the Old Gods? Maybe G'huun is what the Blood Trolls call N'zoth?
I suspect G'huun is a Titan experiment in Uldir. As that was a laboratory in which they studied the Old Gods. Something probably went wrong while they tried to reverse engineer Old God magic and biology, and they made a pseudo-Old God by mistake.

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, gilgoblins, mop 2.0 sucks, mop sucks, more like cata 2.0 sucks, quilboar bias, world of warcraft