Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Rhllor Rhllor is offline

Arch-Druid
Rhllor's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,003

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Stating that you wish to preserve the faction identities while at the same time basing your acceptance of an high elf allied race on the condition that the Horde get humans (THE Alliance race) does sound a wee bit contradictory.
it is in response that deicida says about "fair trade".

I do not want humans and I do not want my race to be in the alliance.

but if there was a "fair trade" that could come to understand, although I do not like it, it is the most played race by the most played race.


the blood elves are THE RACE OF THE HORDE, without the blood elves the horde would be dead at the playable level. that's why the developers put the blood elves in the horde in firts place their only and main reason

even metzen recognized that it is rare for blood elves to be in the horde, but it was the only way for the horde not to be a desert.

the blood elves are the horde, most of their players and by far are blood elves
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 07-06-2018, 06:14 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
"fair trade"
You don't even know what "fair trade" is.
It's not about numbers, it's about getting a satisfying result for both parties.

Quote:
I do not want humans and I do not want my race to be in the alliance.
Then don't ask for humans, ask for what you want.
And it's not "your" race. It never was. It's not your property.

You have all the right in the world to not like the idea of high elves. To have an opinion is one thing, but don't try to use tentative "logic" to create "reasons" to justify your bias. None of your arguments make sense, just like Ion's justifications didn't make any sense, which is why even people who do not care about high elves were upset by his statements.

Quote:
without the blood elves the horde would be dead at the playable level. that's why the developers put the blood elves in the horde in firts place their only and main reason
No, it's not. You are still stuck in the past, when there was no interconnectivity between realms. Blood elves didn't even solve the problem that were unbalanced servers, they just increased population in servers that were already Horde-dominated.

Not anymore. Nowadays, Horde is the majority, realms are interconnected, and even the profile of blood elf players changed. People are draw to blood elves because of classes: almost half of them are either paladins (only one other Horde race can choose that) or demon hunters (no other race can be that).

(That's also the reason Night elves almost tie with humans: most of them are either druid or demon hunter)

With demon hunter hype dimishing in BfA and allied races, I won't be surprised if the proportion of blood elves to other Horde races get smaller. A pity there's no new paladin race so far. I'd love to see what would happen if Zandalari were available at prepatch...
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 07-06-2018, 10:25 AM
Rhllor Rhllor is offline

Arch-Druid
Rhllor's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,003

Default

Do you want our race more played? Give us your most played race, that would be fair. I repeat is not something that I want or like, but that would be a "fair trade" and I could understand it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
Do you want our race more played? Give us your most played race, that would be fair. I repeat is not something that I want or like, but that would be a "fair trade" and I could understand it
It's not up to you to decide that, so cut it out. Stop talking like you are the one to decide those things.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 07-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
Do you want our race more played? Give us your most played race, that would be fair. I repeat is not something that I want or like, but that would be a "fair trade" and I could understand it
I mean, I won't be surprised if you're gonna get Nathanos-style dark humans down the road. Sure, there's lore saying that's a very strenuous process but Blizzard can make up anything they want to justify it and it's still one of the highly requested allied races Horde players say they want to have. (Either that, or undead that don't hunch and can customize away from tattered features... basically grey, ghoulish humans.)
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 07-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I mean, I won't be surprised if you're gonna get Nathanos-style dark humans down the road. Sure, there's lore saying that's a very strenuous process but Blizzard can make up anything they want to justify it and it's still one of the highly requested allied races Horde players say they want to have. (Either that, or undead that don't hunch and can customize away from tattered features... basically grey, ghoulish humans.)
Also, after that Rexxar model, I'm expecting them to reveal a Mok'nathal or Ogre race using kul tiran models any time soon...

...but there'll still be no high elf allied race...
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 07-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Eternal
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,511

Default

If I were going to implement some version of High Elves instead of Void Elves, working strictly with what they had in Legion, I would have tied them in with the Court of Farondis and have them tied to the Blue Dragons of Azsuna. Take the Blood Elf model, give it Dragon Horns and Blue Eyes, maybe the option to have blue hair. not to dissimilar to Demon Hunters really. Lore would be the Court of Farondis introduces the Silver covenant, and the Dragons decide to merge themselves with what’s left of the High Elves to see if they could save both races.

That said, I like Void Elves.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
If I were going to implement some version of High Elves instead of Void Elves, working strictly with what they had in Legion, I would have tied them in with the Court of Farondis and have them tied to the Blue Dragons of Azsuna. Take the Blood Elf model, give it Dragon Horns and Blue Eyes, maybe the option to have blue hair. not to dissimilar to Demon Hunters really. Lore would be the Court of Farondis introduces the Silver covenant, and the Dragons decide to merge themselves with what’s left of the High Elves to see if they could save both races.

That said, I like Void Elves.
I really like Void Elves too and there's a part of me that thinks High Elf fans should just make do with them. (Most of them have I think, but there are some vocal ones still out there saying they were a mistake.)

Then again, another part of me really does feel bad for High Elf fans and I wish we could have gotten a more Shadow/Void-themed race without it coming at their expense. They really should have made Worgen more shadow-themed like they originally were when they were first introduced, or give us Krokul and made them more Void-themed with some inspiration from Dark Templars from the Starcraft series. Either one of those would have been just as cool as Void Elves to me and Blizzard could have set the High Elves out on a direction that would have been more palpable to High Elf fans.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 07-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I really like Void Elves too and there's a part of me that thinks High Elf fans should just make do with them. (Most of them have I think, but there are some vocal ones still out there saying they were a mistake.)

Then again, another part of me really does feel bad for High Elf fans and I wish we could have gotten a more Shadow/Void-themed race without it coming at their expense. They really should have made Worgen more shadow-themed like they originally were when they were first introduced, or give us Krokul and made them more Void-themed with some inspiration from Dark Templars from the Starcraft series. Either one of those would have been just as cool as Void Elves to me and Blizzard could have set the High Elves out on a direction that would have been more palpable to High Elf fans.
I am maining a void elf. It's the closest thing to a high elf that we have available, so I have no choice.

I'm campaign way more for void elves to get development than for us to get playable high elves. I keep coming to these threads just because people keep telling the same old non-arguments that the very existence of void elves debunked.

The problem with the void elves is that they seem off. Their lore were not built up in a natural way, they feel very empty. There's tons of questions about them that are still unanswered. So, how do Blizzard expect people, specially roleplayers and high elf fans, to feel any empathy with them?

I feel really cheated by the void elf introduction. Nightborne, to me, is the benchmark of quality for a new race. Highmountain tauren is close behind, and their recruitment questline is the benchmark for a good recruitment scenario. Void elves can't compare to those standards.

Void elves right now feel like this weird tiny cult of elves that are just researching the void. They don't feel like a true society, just a small bunch of blood elves that were turned blue. They also feel detached from the rest of the world, we have very little insight on their outlook on things or relationship with other races. They appeared from nowhere, live (literally) nowhere and are just tagging along the Alliance. It's really underwhelming.

I've posted a lot of suggestions and hopes about void elves for Blizzard and I hope they listen. But I think they'll remain loosely explained for quite some time ahead, and that's only ups my frustration.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 07-08-2018, 06:44 AM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Eternal
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,511

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I am maining a void elf. It's the closest thing to a high elf that we have available, so I have no choice.

I'm campaign way more for void elves to get development than for us to get playable high elves. I keep coming to these threads just because people keep telling the same old non-arguments that the very existence of void elves debunked.

The problem with the void elves is that they seem off. Their lore were not built up in a natural way, they feel very empty. There's tons of questions about them that are still unanswered. So, how do Blizzard expect people, specially roleplayers and high elf fans, to feel any empathy with them?

I feel really cheated by the void elf introduction. Nightborne, to me, is the benchmark of quality for a new race. Highmountain tauren is close behind, and their recruitment questline is the benchmark for a good recruitment scenario. Void elves can't compare to those standards.

Void elves right now feel like this weird tiny cult of elves that are just researching the void. They don't feel like a true society, just a small bunch of blood elves that were turned blue. They also feel detached from the rest of the world, we have very little insight on their outlook on things or relationship with other races. They appeared from nowhere, live (literally) nowhere and are just tagging along the Alliance. It's really underwhelming.

I've posted a lot of suggestions and hopes about void elves for Blizzard and I hope they listen. But I think they'll remain loosely explained for quite some time ahead, and that's only ups my frustration.
I see a lot of potential in their starting area if Blizz ever wants to flesh those out for allied races. Particularly if we go deeper into cosmology. They seem to be inferring heavily that Telogrus is the Old God infested world soul that Sargeras aborted.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 07-08-2018, 01:11 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I see a lot of potential in their starting area if Blizz ever wants to flesh those out for allied races. Particularly if we go deeper into cosmology. They seem to be inferring heavily that Telogrus is the Old God infested world soul that Sargeras aborted.
I get the cosmology potential, but I want to see them developed as a people first. That's what really bothers me: their lack of characterization. They feel like a plot device.

-----------------------------------

Here's what I'd have done if I had input on their recruitment questline:

First act: After talking to Anduin and choosing the void elves for recruitment, Alleria says she has already asked Vereesa to go ahead and search for clues on Umbric.

You and Alleria teleport to Ghostlands. Appear in Windrunner Village, which has been occupied (in a non-permanent sense, just a camp) by the Silver Covenant. Vereesa greets you, and you also find the following characters hanging around, each with its own gossip text.

Auric Sunchaser: He says his relationship with the blood elves has soured since the Purge of Dalaran, and he decided to seek Alleria since he heard she was back.

Theloria Shadecloak and Taelia Everstride followed Auric and decided to serve under Alleria.

Vereesa guides you and Alleria to Summoner Nolric (of the Silver Covenant), who has found evidence of Umbric (first message from Umbric, indicating next step in Andilien Estate).

Second Act: Instead of just Alleria, you are followed by Auric as well from now on. THe three of you reach Andilien Estate and fight blood elves there. Alleria shows some regret on fighting her own people, and they find the second piece of Umbric's records, leading to Dawnstar Spire.

Alleria sends Auric back to Vereesa, warning her troop to move and meet you at the tower. You and Alleria move on to the next part.

Third Act: You reach Dawnstar Spire, the Covenant is already there, with Vereesa and the others. Last piece of Umbric's records, Alleria opens the portal to Telogrus.

Before you enter, there's a small dialogue with Vereesa worried, so she sends a small cadre of rangers with her sister. Auric, Theloria, Taela and Nolric also go throught the portal.

Fourth Act (Scenario): You arrive at Telogrus, but at the northernmost island instead of the southern one. The elves there react cautiously to the sudden invasion, until two of them, Lyria Skystrider and Priest Ennas, reckognize Alleria and invites her to meet Umbric, who has a new named warrior character as bodyguard.

Umbric is met at the second island, and all named characters follow him as he describes his exile and his research, all the while we are moving south, until we reach the southern island, where the box is.

Umbric tries to open the box, the rest occurs almost like the in-game scenario. However, Umbric is not immediatelly captured. Instead, you, he and all named characters fight moving northward throught the islands, with more characters being captured and cocooned in void as you go.

Eventually, only you, Alleria and Umbric reach the northernmost island, where they face Durzaam. All of you are captured, but Alleria manages to free herself and you for the final fight. You defeat Durzaam as usual and save the day.

The conclusion: all the elves in Telogrus are transformed, including the Silver Covenant squad and the named high elves I listed prior. After Umbric regrets these events and swear allegiance to the Alliance, you return to Dawnstar Spire with Alleria and (now transformed) Auric. Vereesa reacts to the transformation, but Auric assures her he's still himself. Vereesa decides to support them however she can.

Alleria opens a portal to Stormwind, you conclude the recruitment.

What I'd be aiming to do with this:

* Establish a relationship between Silver Covenant and void elves instantly.

* Explain where their non-caster members would come from.

* Make canon that some Silver Covenant high elves were transformed by accident.

* Void elves now have two leaders (Auric and Umbric), who represent two different views: high elf trying to get used to this transformation, and blood elf seeking to study the void and master it.

* Establish a core cast of characters for void elves that represent their classes: Taelia Everstrider (Hunter), Theloria Shadecloak (Rogue), Nolric (Warlock), Lyria Skystrider and Ennas (priests) and Umbric's bodyguard (warrior).

Two other supporting characters that would appear later in Telogrus would be unchanged high elves: Kriss Goldenlight as their monk trainer, and Ros'eleth (my favorite high elf, lol) as innkeeper, giving support to the transformed elves.

That's how I'd manage to make void elves instantly more palatable to the high elf fans. Hopefully, it would ease their acceptance among the fanbase.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 07-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Ethenil Ethenil is offline

Eternal
Ethenil's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,631

Default

Just chiming in to say that if void elves were to get more development, and possibly fairer skintones added with the confirmation that high elves can turn themselves into void elves, I'd be finally content with them.
__________________
Daelin was right.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 07-08-2018, 01:50 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Just chiming in to say that if void elves were to get more development, and possibly fairer skintones added with the confirmation that high elves can turn themselves into void elves, I'd be finally content with them.
I don't see "normal" skin tones as required, but more variety in hair and skin color would be welcome. Also, warpaint, please.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 07-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I am maining a void elf. It's the closest thing to a high elf that we have available, so I have no choice.

I'm campaign way more for void elves to get development than for us to get playable high elves. I keep coming to these threads just because people keep telling the same old non-arguments that the very existence of void elves debunked.

The problem with the void elves is that they seem off. Their lore were not built up in a natural way, they feel very empty. There's tons of questions about them that are still unanswered. So, how do Blizzard expect people, specially roleplayers and high elf fans, to feel any empathy with them?

I feel really cheated by the void elf introduction. Nightborne, to me, is the benchmark of quality for a new race. Highmountain tauren is close behind, and their recruitment questline is the benchmark for a good recruitment scenario. Void elves can't compare to those standards.

Void elves right now feel like this weird tiny cult of elves that are just researching the void. They don't feel like a true society, just a small bunch of blood elves that were turned blue. They also feel detached from the rest of the world, we have very little insight on their outlook on things or relationship with other races. They appeared from nowhere, live (literally) nowhere and are just tagging along the Alliance. It's really underwhelming.

I've posted a lot of suggestions and hopes about void elves for Blizzard and I hope they listen. But I think they'll remain loosely explained for quite some time ahead, and that's only ups my frustration.
I won't disagree with any of that, the setup could have still been so much better and they need more cultural depth. I think Blizzard is making decent strides with them in the war campaign though. I didn't think they'd manage to fix the issue of Blood Elves rejecting shadow-using kin when they have Shadow Priests but they managed to do it by making them all Alliance loyalists to begin with who don't trust the Horde with Void knowledge. One might say it all seems a bit too coincidental and convenient for the sake of Alliance getting void-infused elves, but at the same time I think it's would of the best and perhaps even the more clever ways of making any sense of it.

For all the flak Void Elves get for being an asspull, I'm of the personal opinion actually that Nightborne are as much an asspull as Void Elves are. Saying that is tantamount to heresy on the forums because Nightborne are just so damn well-liked due to their storytelling in Legion. Doesn't change the fact that they still technically fit the definition of being an asspull race because we've never heard about them at all until Legion. An asspull race with a good story is still an asspull race and people conveniently just ignore that because the Nightborne had two patches worth of content dedicated to them.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 07-09-2018, 05:46 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
For all the flak Void Elves get for being an asspull, I'm of the personal opinion actually that Nightborne are as much an asspull as Void Elves are.
Oh, I agree. Nightborne are a huge asspull since Blizzard had to retcon the sunken ruins of Suramar into a living city trapped under a magic bubble no one ever mentioned despite ships being able to reach the islands.

The difference between the new elves is that nightborne got a great storyline right off the bat. They got named characters, motivations, a plight we can feel empathy for and a whole arc of redemption. Void elves got just a small scenario that was mostly action and almost no interaction.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 02-04-2019, 11:45 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Bumping this old thread.

It's 2019, and people are still saying Alleria is a High Elf even though all her properties clearly point as more in-common with Void Elves than High Elves anymore aside from how she looks. She even literally states she is a Ren'dorei as in, a Void Elf in their own elven dialect, so why do people keep insisting that she is not a Void Elf when all signs have pointed to the contrary?
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 02-05-2019, 03:48 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Bumping this old thread.

It's 2019, and people are still saying Alleria is a High Elf even though all her properties clearly point as more in-common with Void Elves than High Elves anymore aside from how she looks. She even literally states she is a Ren'dorei as in, a Void Elf in their own elven dialect, so why do people keep insisting that she is not a Void Elf when all signs have pointed to the contrary?
Until people can play as as void elves that look like her.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,874

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Until people can play as as void elves that look like her.
Uhm, I can't play a human that looks like Antonidas, but I don't use that as an argument for saying that Antonidas is no human.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Uhm, I can't play a human that looks like Antonidas, but I don't use that as an argument for saying that Antonidas is no human.
There's no shortage of people who would wish to play as a thin, big-bearded human.

Also, Antonidas' exact features may not be available, but he does not have a inhuman skin color or traits that aren't human. You look at Antonidas and knows he's human. If Antonidas had green skin, claws and fangs and were considered "human", then your argument could have some merit.

You look at Alleria and knows she's not like the void elves. Not even her armor is akin to the void elves' racial armor, either in look or color scheme. The only thing Alleria has in common with the void elves is that she uses the void, but even the way she achieved that is different. She's much more a high elf wielding the void than a void elf.

BTW, I recently was replaying the intro to the Dominance Offensive questline in MoP, and there were blood elf shadow priests. I mean, they even were in shadow form! Were they void elves because of that?
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 02-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,874

Default

On a second thought, I like myself way too much to get into this argument.
Reply With Quote
  #321  
Old 02-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Until people can play as as void elves that look like her.
Don't you think maybe that contradicts the argument that High Elves are more than how they look? Alleria looks like a High Elf yes, but let's consider her other aspects. They all relate to Void Elves way more, to the point that she arguably doesn't have much in common with her High Elf kin anymore. She would be more definitive as a High Elf if she was like her WC2 self with none of the Void powers, because that's how people argue that it would be unacceptable for Void Elves to have normal skin because they'd still be classified as Void Elves.

Deeming Alleria is a High Elf because she looks like one just seems to contradict the whole argument that High Elf fans have where they want the race for more than just how it looks. By that logic, they should be looking at Alleria's character with the same amount of depth because she is most definitely altered and not a traditional High Elf in any sense of the word anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 02-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Don't you think maybe that contradicts the argument that High Elves are more than how they look? Alleria looks like a High Elf yes, but let's consider her other aspects. They all relate to Void Elves way more, to the point that she arguably doesn't have much in common with her High Elf kin anymore. She would be more definitive as a High Elf if she was like her WC2 self with none of the Void powers, because that's how people argue that it would be unacceptable for Void Elves to have normal skin because they'd still be classified as Void Elves.

Deeming Alleria is a High Elf because she looks like one just seems to contradict the whole argument that High Elf fans have where they want the race for more than just how it looks. By that logic, they should be looking at Alleria's character with the same amount of depth because she is most definitely altered and not a traditional High Elf in any sense of the word anymore.
Mastering a power by itself does not change your race. A human necromancer does not become some other race just because the necro powers changed him/it. A demon hunter grows wings and horns but is still considered a night elf or blood elf.

To make a definitive answer, one must first consider the question: are void elves even a race? Do they have anything that qualify them as a new race, or is "race" just a loose term to abide to gameplay restrictions since they were made into a "playable race"?

If they are a "race", then what separates them (and Alleria) from the blood elf shadow priests that I found in MoP? WHat's the critteria?

If one consider the void elves a "race" because they were transformed, then no, by that critteria Alleria is not a void elf. She was not transformed. She mastered a power. Her physical appearance did not change.

If one consider the void elves not a "race", but a society, a political group, then yes, Alleria is a void elf in the sense that she's their leader. Kinda like Sylvanas is not a undead of the forsaken type but is a member of the forsaken faction of undead.

About high elves, they fit both critteria. They are a separate political entity and have some (however minor) physical differences that set them apart from blood elves if one knows what to look for.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 02-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

I consider it by definition of being a Void-infused elf, that's all that it really takes to define oneself as a Void Elf. Much like how Nightborne differ from Night Elves in that they are arcane-infused elves who cultivated a more Highborne-slanted culture.

By that criteria, that's all it takes for me to define Alleria as a Void Elf. She is void-infused, she was even touched by the void by mistake just like the Void Elves we're playing as were, but was lucky enough to have someone like Locus-Walker help her through and hone it to a better degree rather than have a very intense blasting of it that got its way to her physical appearance. If she was just using it like a power or a weapon, she wouldn't be suffering the same drawbacks that the playable Void Elves were, such as having an echoed voice or whispers in her head, or not being able to touch anything that has a whiff of Holy Light on it. Those aren't things that Shadow Priests or High Elves suffer from, but it's a trademark of Alleria and the Void Elves as cursed people.

And honestly, the debate has been long-settled when Alleria even refers to herself as a Void Elf, that's just simply how Blizzard is rolling with it.
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:06 AM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,122

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I consider it by definition of being a Void-infused elf, that's all that it really takes to define oneself as a Void Elf. Much like how Nightborne differ from Night Elves in that they are arcane-infused elves who cultivated a more Highborne-slanted culture.
That comparison with nightborne makes no sense. Nightborne are physically different from night elves, from skin color to eye color to ear shape.

Quote:
By that criteria, that's all it takes for me to define Alleria as a Void Elf. She is void-infused, she was even touched by the void by mistake just like the Void Elves we're playing as were, but was lucky enough to have someone like Locus-Walker help her through and hone it to a better degree rather than have a very intense blasting of it that got its way to her physical appearance. If she was just using it like a power or a weapon, she wouldn't be suffering the same drawbacks that the playable Void Elves were, such as having an echoed voice or whispers in her head, or not being able to touch anything that has a whiff of Holy Light on it. Those aren't things that Shadow Priests or High Elves suffer from, but it's a trademark of Alleria and the Void Elves as cursed people.
Who says shadow priests don't hear voices? Their freaking resource is insanity, and they use their powers by surrounding themselves in Shadow. They even have a Void Form. If shadow priests weren't vulnerable to the Void, then they'd be more powerful than the void elves.

Also, are you sure Turalyon and Alleria can't touch each other? That "burning touch" happened when she could not control her powers well. Did it happen a second time, after her training?

To me, Alleria's burden is the cost of mastering her power. She clearly wasn't forcefully transformed and physically changed, unlike all the other void elves. She's not the same as them.

Quote:
And honestly, the debate has been long-settled when Alleria even refers to herself as a Void Elf, that's just simply how Blizzard is rolling with it.
As a political entity, she can call herself whatever she wants, just like a blood elf can become a high elf (or vice-versa) by just declaring their allegiance, no matter their eye color. She's the elf leader of the void elves, after all. But it doesn't take more than a look to notice she's not the same as them.

So, I'm waiting for her to turn blue and grow tendrils from their hair, or for other void elves like her to appear. Then I'll call her a void elf. She's just an oddity until then.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 02-06-2019 at 04:11 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:35 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,025
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
That comparison with nightborne makes no sense. Nightborne are physically different from night elves, from skin color to eye color to ear shape.



Who says shadow priests don't hear voices? Their freaking resource is insanity, and they use their powers by surrounding themselves in Shadow. They even have a Void Form. If shadow priests weren't vulnerable to the Void, then they'd be more powerful than the void elves.

Also, are you sure Turalyon and Alleria can't touch each other? That "burning touch" happened when she could not control her powers well. Did it happen a second time, after her training?

To me, Alleria's burden is the cost of mastering her power. She clearly wasn't forcefully transformed and physically changed, unlike all the other void elves. She's not the same as them.


As a political entity, she can call herself whatever she wants, just like a blood elf can become a high elf (or vice-versa) by just declaring their allegiance, no matter their eye color. She's the elf leader of the void elves, after all. But it doesn't take more than a look to notice she's not the same as them.

So, I'm waiting for her to turn blue and grow tendrils from their hair, or for other void elves like her to appear. Then I'll call her a void elf.
1. And so are Void Elves and Alleria from Blood Elves, I've already stressed what makes them different from the Blood Elves. If we're at this point where we have to keep repeating arguments then we'll just have to agree to disagree with it.

2. Shadow Priests hear whispers when they use void magic, they can also just as well choose not to use that power if they don't want to hear whispers anymore. Alleria and Void Elves don't get that choice, they are stuck with whispers in their head for the rest of their lives, with the only comfort that they can not be driven insane by them at the very least with enough training.

3. Which again, just a confusing stance to take when I thought the whole argument for including High Elves had to do with their lore, not their physical appearance. It really does seem like a big campaign to just divorce one of the Void Elves' most important characters based entirely on her skin pigment, when I don't think that matters considering they both have the same properties about them and one just got to it in a far more masterful way than the other one.

4. I don't think that's entirely necessary, but I certainly wouldn't mind her wearing more Void Elf-inspired colors and just embracing her new destiny as a leader of an exiled people. I think she wouldn't look that bad in black armor.

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 02-06-2019 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
knife-ears, world of warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.