Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Monsund Monsund is offline

Sentinel Queen
Monsund's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 988

Default Will the Bilgewater cartel actually be that important?

The cartel is rather suspicously unemphasized at least so far. The trade prince of the cartel is an enemy, the goblin quests don't talk about the cartel, the goblin page on the cataclysm site doesn't even mention it, and the trailer plus Thrall refer to them as the Goblins of Kezan.

The only real reference to them being Bilgewater is Maldy and Reputation bar in the demo, but the latter could change as Blood elves spoke Sin'dassi in the demo of the Burning Crusade. Maybe the playable goblins won't have a cartel at all?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsund View Post
The cartel is rather suspicously unemphasized at least so far. The trade prince of the cartel is an enemy, the goblin quests don't talk about the cartel, the goblin page on the cataclysm site doesn't even mention it, and the trailer plus Thrall refer to them as the Goblins of Kezan.

The only real reference to them being Bilgewater is Maldy and Reputation bar in the demo, but the latter could change as Blood elves spoke Sin'dassi in the demo of the Burning Crusade. Maybe the playable goblins won't have a cartel at all?
The panel outright said they were, but I do not know. When your boss tries to sell you as slaves, will you keep your company's name?
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Question

Who is going to be the "racial leader" by the way that the enemy can try to fight?
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
– George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Monsund Monsund is offline

Sentinel Queen
Monsund's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 988

Default

Another factor to consider is that most of the survivors appear to be disorganized goblins of lower status(or are now), it seems the only goblins who held actual power(probably in the Bilgewater Cartel) are Maldy, the player, and the player's former executive assistant, Sassy Hardhearted(who could possibly be the goblin racial leader).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Fordragon Fordragon is offline

Elune
Fordragon's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Furillo, Furillo Province, Grand Duchy of Furillo
Posts: 5,517

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsund View Post
The only real reference to them being Bilgewater is Maldy and Reputation bar in the demo, but the latter could change as Blood elves spoke Sin'dassi in the demo of the Burning Crusade. Maybe the playable goblins won't have a cartel at all?
It's entirely possible. The use of the term "Bilgewater Goblins" could just be to differentiate them from other Goblins in the world.
__________________
"Damn, snowcone, what were you for Halloween, a bitch? You best be ready for this shit, Cranberry Juice, cuz you bout to get FUCKED." -L Dubba E
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Ovid Ovid is offline

Druid of the Claw
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 116

Default

edit: the following text has proven incorrect. please disregard.

"bilge water" is a description of the type of cartel, not a name for it.

a bilge water cartel, like a bilge water town, is a small, backwoods, unimportant group. in this case, they happen to be in the right place at the right time to save thrall from a nasty fate, so their little rag-tag crew gets welcomed into the horde.

Last edited by Ovid; 02-14-2010 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovid View Post
"bilge water" is a description of the type of cartel, not a name for it.

a bilge water cartel, like a bilge water town, is a small, backwoods, unimportant group. in this case, they happen to be in the right place at the right time to save thrall from a nasty fate, so their little rag-tag crew gets welcomed into the horde.
It is a proper noun. You just found a clever double meaning for it. Actually... it is a triple meaning, as they ran a port on Kezan, so they dealt with and/or were surrounded by water from ships' bilges.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Suzaku Suzaku is offline

Demon Hunter
Suzaku's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 410

Default

You're thinking of the term "backwater", which means the same as "backwoods".

Bilgewater Cartel is the name of Maldy's cartel of goblins, which controls Bilgewater Port, the largest port on Kezan and arguably the most vital harbor in the trade routes between the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. This was all in Dark Factions, I believe it was.


Now, I don't know how directly they'll be involved with the ongoing plot of Cataclysm, but the goblins do have history with Deathwing, and they certainly provide the Horde with a lot of technology and construction materials.

What we do know is that, at the very least, the goblins are going to have a large presence in Orgrimmar. We can also probably safely assume that all of the Horde zepplin crews will change over to Bilgewater, and the Steamwheedle Bruisers protecting will become Bilgewater Bruisers. Probably all other Horde-related goblins will get tagged onto the Bilgewater faction. We can also probably expect pretty much every Horde town from 1-60 getting some goblin NPCs and questlines for the sake of reputation, just like the blood elves.

Frankly, I can't really see where the Worgen would have a lot of story opportunities in a war against Deathwing, either, apart from Genn Greymane having once been manipulated by the House of Prestor.

It almost seems to me like they're being added into the game to setup for future expansions. If the Horde gets control of Bilgewater Port in the Maelstrom expansion, that could easily be their main city in the Southern Seas. The Worgen, being related to ancient druid sects, could also play a notable role in an Emerald Dream expansion.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-14-2010, 03:38 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,534
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsund View Post
The cartel is rather suspicously unemphasized at least so far. The trade prince of the cartel is an enemy, the goblin quests don't talk about the cartel, the goblin page on the cataclysm site doesn't even mention it, and the trailer plus Thrall refer to them as the Goblins of Kezan.

The only real reference to them being Bilgewater is Maldy and Reputation bar in the demo, but the latter could change as Blood elves spoke Sin'dassi in the demo of the Burning Crusade. Maybe the playable goblins won't have a cartel at all?
I believe the Cartel's control lies in just the guy with more money. If we get to defeat Maldy, then we get control over the Cartel. Simple as that.

They'll be Bilgewater, but they'll eventually change the concept of the cartel to a new one, which won't have anything to do with Maldy's corrupt one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsund View Post
Another factor to consider is that most of the survivors appear to be disorganized goblins of lower status(or are now), it seems the only goblins who held actual power(probably in the Bilgewater Cartel) are Maldy, the player, and the player's former executive assistant, Sassy Hardhearted(who could possibly be the goblin racial leader).
Yeah, my bet is that we either get Sassy or Maldy to be our racial leader. Ideas:

-Maldy: he gets pwned by the Horde and the goblins and now is forced to work under the Horde because he's poor or something.

-Sassy: we defeat Maldy, leaving him as a mere slave or any other lower caste, and Sassy becomes the leader of the Bilgewater Cartel, running all the operations from her new office at Orgrimmar.

I prefer the second one. It's a good way of introducing a racial leader: she starts like someone under our command and later she becomes our leader by working hard with us.

Also, Maldy should stay around alive, just for him to eventually betray us and open new plotlines.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
This was all in Dark Factions, I believe it was.
It was from Lands of Mystery. I'll just throw the original lore text on here for no reason:

Bilgewater Port, on a bay on the island’s northwest coast, is Kezan’s primary port city. It bustles at all hours, with ships arriving and departing in perpetuity. Cranes load and unload. Sailors embark and disembark. The docks are noisy and crowded, with visiting races rubbing shoulders with the native goblins and the goblin merchant sailors who arrive to drop off and/ or pick up their goods. Bilgewater is the port in the South Seas, and the only one worth mentioning that exists between the western and eastern continents; as such, it sees a lot of activity, and races of all types are found here. Bilgewater is connected to goblin enterprises all over the world and is linked directly to Undermine. A circle of goblins called the Bilgewater Cartel oversees operations here.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Ovid Ovid is offline

Druid of the Claw
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 116

Default

i stand corrected, my apologies.

i have heard the term "bilge water" as a separate, but equivalent, term like backwater, though confined specifically to shipping ports. i had not seen the use of "bilge water" as a proper noun in warcraft lore.

thank you for that information.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Monsund Monsund is offline

Sentinel Queen
Monsund's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 988

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I believe the Cartel's control lies in just the guy with more money. If we get to defeat Maldy, then we get control over the Cartel. Simple as that.

They'll be Bilgewater, but they'll eventually change the concept of the cartel to a new one, which won't have anything to do with Maldy's corrupt one.



Yeah, my bet is that we either get Sassy or Maldy to be our racial leader. Ideas:

-Maldy: he gets pwned by the Horde and the goblins and now is forced to work under the Horde because he's poor or something.

-Sassy: we defeat Maldy, leaving him as a mere slave or any other lower caste, and Sassy becomes the leader of the Bilgewater Cartel, running all the operations from her new office at Orgrimmar.

I prefer the second one. It's a good way of introducing a racial leader: she starts like someone under our command and later she becomes our leader by working hard with us.

Also, Maldy should stay around alive, just for him to eventually betray us and open new plotlines.

Maldy is almost assuredly not going to be a racial leader. He's lower level then Hogger, he hates orcs, and the survivors hate him so much they're disappointed to find out he was alive, no one would follow or trust him.

Sassy Hardhearted is possible, but that might not happen either, I doubt a character known as "your former executive assistant" would be become a racial leader. It seems odd that a racial leader would have an important history with the player character.

From what we've seen the goblin racial leader might not even be in the Lost Isles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
You're thinking of the term "backwater", which means the same as "backwoods".

Bilgewater Cartel is the name of Maldy's cartel of goblins, which controls Bilgewater Port, the largest port on Kezan and arguably the most vital harbor in the trade routes between the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. This was all in Dark Factions, I believe it was.

Thats not I mean. Basically from what we've seen the Bilgewater cartel has been mentioned very little, the survivors seem to had little power in it, and the leader is evil.

Last edited by Monsund; 02-15-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.