Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 01:41 AM

Treant

Default Did it frustrate anybody else when they restored the sunwell?

Just from a lore perspective, it really ruined an entire story thread for me, particularly with the blood elves.

I was really taken up in the idea, starting in Frozen Throne, that you had these guys who lost their source of power, had this great downfall and hard times (no need to explain the blood elf history here) and began to recognise their problems and sort them out.

IMO, they really fucked up by letting them have the Sunwell. It defeats the whole purpose of what could have been an even greater story point - you have these guys struggling to break their addiction to magic, and learning lessons as an entire civilization as well as individually about what it is to suffer, etc and finally finding a way to live without their old addictions and objects that were to a certain extent the source of their problems.

But its like now that they have the sunwell back, they never really learned anything. They're just back to their old ways again.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 AM

Elune

Except that Sunwell now gives them divine magic instead of arcane. So the civiliazation is still going to change as they can't please their arcane lust that easily anymore at all.

PS. Welcome to the forums.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

I wasn't bothered by the fact that they got the sunwell back, I was bothered by how easy the whole thing was.

But that pretty much sums up the Blood Elves in general. Hell, that pretty much sums up WoW in general. No consequences for anything.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 AM

Sentinel Queen

If you believe loosing your leader and half of your race due to consorting with demons after you already lost 9/10 of your population to undead invasions as easy and without consequences I don't want to know how you would treat pickpockets!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
If you believe loosing your leader and half of your race due to consorting with demons after you already lost 9/10 of your population to undead invasions as easy and without consequences I don't want to know how you would treat pickpockets!
That statement makes no sense.

How are those consequences reflected in the game exactly? Kael is a shallow character who is wholly unremarkable in the game. And there are no shortage of Blood Elves. Even as far as NPCs go.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Kael is a shallow character who is wholly unremarkable in the game.
He only got one raid, one instance and one indirect raid, which is about one raid more than Malygos and Nexus war. or Yogg'Saron, who wasn't even the last boss of his raid. That's of course after having extensive questlines involved with him in Terokkar, Netherstorm, dailies in Quel'Danas, etc. Very unremarkable indeed. Let's just reduce Silvermoon's total NPC population by 50% (to 2) and never use Blood Elves as NPCs in new zones again.

Side note: Garrosh can be found in Nagrand, Borean Tundra, Icecrown, along with a number of smaller appearances in Dalaran, Orgrimmar, etc. Surely this must mean that there are several Garroshes out there? Or perhaps, just perhaps, there is only one moving around? And if that is the case, who's to say that some unnamed NPCs couldn't move around as well? We may well have seen Blood Elven guards on 3-4 occasions, but don't know it...
Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
He only got one raid, one instance and one indirect raid, which is about one raid more than Malygos and Nexus war.
So? How does that reflect on his character at all? He can show up all he wants. Unless he actually DOES something, it matters not.

Quote:
That's of course after having extensive questlines involved with him in Terokkar, Netherstorm, dailies in Quel'Danas, etc. Very unremarkable indeed.
Dunno about Netherstorm, but he has close to no presence in Quel'danas or Terokkar. He's just a boss in the dungeon who says "I'm actually alive!" and then gets killed.

Quote:
Let's just reduce Silvermoon's total NPC population by 50% (to 2) and never use Blood Elves as NPCs in new zones again.
Let's not have an *entire* faction of them all over the bloody place in Northrend. Seriously, Sunreavers and Silver Covenent are friggin insane, and that attention could have gone to so many other races.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 AM

Glaive Thrower

It is very fun to have Silvermoon as populated as a desert....when the wastes of Outland are crowded with BE's
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 AM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordes View Post
It is very fun to have Silvermoon as populated as a desert....when the wastes of Outland are crowded with BE's
You haven't seen Silvermoon on an RP server...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Eternal

Hey, Aldrius, is you avatar from that new teen Thor cartoon they´re making?

And yeah, i was kinda disappointed at how fast and simple the whole thing ended up being, they hyped up the Blood elves as completely original elves in fantasy overall with them hanging in the grey moral area, sucking demons and siding with the ugly and barbaric Horde tossing aside their pride and perfect appearance just for the sake of survival.

Couple of months later and pouf! Sunwell restored and now they're even more perfect than the High elves ever were, only now they're supposed to be Ligh preaching martyrs.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Hey, Aldrius, is you avatar from that new teen Thor cartoon they´re making?
It's actually a Direct to Video film. Theres alot of confusing stuff going on since theres a Thor animated film coming and a cartoon serie that hasn't released any information whatsoever. >_>

Aldrius got the avatar from here: http://phillybee.deviantart.com/
As you can see Loki is an emo kid lol. =P
Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranil View Post
You haven't seen Silvermoon on an RP server...
Old 10-21-2009, 09:18 AM

Glaive Thrower

Lol I've seen that before, thanks good sir for making me laugh.

As for the Blood Elves, I feel sympathy and dislike for them, their lore is awesome, they had the whole spotlight throught the whole burning crusade but something that bothers me its the fact that even if they got their sunwell restored we were given no lore explanation to what happened to their society post-sunwell, like for example, how are the blood knights under Liadrin working now? do they have the same goals? did they heed the call fo the crusade? and as for the society, did they become less reckless about magic since their thirst was satisfied?

And, can a warlock 'bathe' in the new sunwell energies? even if they are divine?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Let's not have an *entire* faction of them all over the bloody place in Northrend. Seriously, Sunreavers and Silver Covenent are friggin insane, and that attention could have gone to so many other races.
I think they deserved that attention, given they are one of three races with real personal vendettas to pursue against the Scourge. If anything, they and the Forsaken should've gotten more attention in this expansion. Making the Orcs the center of the Horde's drive against the Scourge was a mistake.

Last edited by Peger; 10-21-2009 at 10:15 AM..
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 AM

Elune

The Orcs are really the only race to have a vendetta against Ner'zhul, which gives them a counterbalance to the Arthas focus. Also, there is no reason Blood Elves should have more content focused on them after they released an entire goddamn expansion that just told a story about them.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Felo'melorn needed to be around.

Lor'Themar could be wielding it now, you know.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-21-2009, 11:57 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
The Orcs are really the only race to have a vendetta against Ner'zhul, which gives them a counterbalance to the Arthas focus.
There was absolutely no mention of the Orcs & Ner'zhul; even they often just refer to the Lich King as Arthas, which is appropriate since Ner'zhul is gone anyway.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Sentinel Queen

The Scourge attacked OG. But of course there should not be any orcs because of that. Trolls would be more logical indeed.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranil View Post
Lol I've seen that before, thanks good sir for making me laugh.

As for the Blood Elves, I feel sympathy and dislike for them, their lore is awesome, they had the whole spotlight throught the whole burning crusade but something that bothers me its the fact that even if they got their sunwell restored we were given no lore explanation to what happened to their society post-sunwell, like for example, how are the blood knights under Liadrin working now? do they have the same goals? did they heed the call fo the crusade? and as for the society, did they become less reckless about magic since their thirst was satisfied?

And, can a warlock 'bathe' in the new sunwell energies? even if they are divine?
Well with the Quel'Delar questline coming out Lor'Themar and the rest of his allies(Rommath, Halduron, and Liadrin.) are returning at the Sunwell along with a High Elven Ambassador(Captain Auric Sunchaser from Alleria Stronghold.). They will be in the instance along with High Elven and Blood Elven pilgrims so we will get a glimpse and mabye hear of what has happened to the Blood Elves after the Sunwell. The full info will come with the Cataclysm though.(Perhaps the minor changes they make to the BE leveling zone since they were going to make very little changes will be modernizing SMC to the current date.)

As for Warlocks i think they can absorb the light energies but it does nothing to help them.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:04 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallas View Post
Well with the Quel'Delar questline coming out Lor'Themar and the rest of his allies(Rommath, Halduron, and Liadrin.) are returning at the Sunwell along with a High Elven Ambassador(Captain Auric Sunchaser from Alleria Stronghold.). They will be in the instance along with High Elven and Blood Elven pilgrims so we will get a glimpse and mabye hear of what has happened to the Blood Elves after the Sunwell. The full info will come with the Cataclysm though.(Perhaps the minor changes they make to the BE leveling zone since they were going to make very little changes will be modernizing SMC to the current date.)

As for Warlocks i think they can absorb the light energies but it does nothing to help them.
Thanks for answering my questions. so far it sounds quite interesting.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
The Scourge attacked OG. But of course there should not be any orcs because of that. Trolls would be more logical indeed.
Well if we want to get technical, the Lich King had no real point in attacking Orgrimmar in the first place. Undercity would have made a HELLUVA lot more sense in pretty much every regard... even Silvermoon would have made more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon
The Orcs are really the only race to have a vendetta against Ner'zhul,
Eh. They don't really seem to care about that. And Ner'zhul has never really been shown to care all that much about the Orcs either.

Not like the much more personal relationship between Arthas and his own people. Undead and otherwise. In part because the scars from Arthas' betrayal STILL haven't healed.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Hell, Ner'zuhl basicly blew Draenor up, atleast some older orcs should be really pissed at him^^
Old 10-21-2009, 05:08 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
Hell, Ner'zuhl basicly blew Draenor up, atleast some older orcs should be really pissed at him^^
They're so disconnected from all that at this point, though... I can't understand why they'd care all that much.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 PM

Sentinel Queen

The Ner'zhul of the Scourge is a very different entity from the former Shaman, anyway. The fact that despite the various books and games released since the Lich King was created, we've never once seen the Orcs express some kind of hatred towards him for what he did in life indicates they either don't know or care.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 PM

Arch-Druid

They know. Or at least Thrall does. But he seems more disappointed than angry.